Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarstoolProphet

Mike Ashley was a business man who had no connection or "love" to Newcastle until he bought them

Obviously the Geordies hate him because he didn't throw his billions in to them, but he did keep them solvent and generally the club was well run as far as I can tell
Well run? First time I have heard that in connection with Mike Ashley. He even took the stadium name to promote his own business.

ShinjiNinja26

How does what have relevance?
How Ratcliffe came from a council estate in Failsworth to become the UKs richest man.
I'd say the relevance is he knows what the feck he is doing.
In his chosen lane he knows what he’s doing. Running a football club is entirely different. The Glazers were very successful businessmen as well, yet are some of the worst owners you could ask for. Just because someone made a fortune in a chosen field means feck all really in regards to how they’ll operate a football club. Different world all together.

Zippycup

How does him already having a club that he's managing poorly not have relevance? I don't know what fantasy land you're living in where you think that doesn't have relevance on him being the owner of United.
Do you think the owners of Asda would have the same interest in a corner shop that they own?
That the difference in size and investment.

Zippycup

He would obviously hope to be successful, but bear in mind the Glazers weren't and they are still selling for a massive return, are they not?
The Glazers bought at the right time, just before the football boom.
And for many years they had the world's best manager to cover up their mess.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
It's actually because he lives there. Regardless, the notion that he'd run Nice the same way as a ~5b rated club is asinine
That is absolute bollocks. I’d argue it’s even more of a reason to stay away. If he can’t run a much smaller club, with much less of an expectation to do well, how on earth is he going to be trusted to run a 5bn + football club mammoth giant like MUFC. I hope he stays far away as possible from owning Man Utd. It’s been shown he can’t do it. TWICE!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Do you think the owners of Asda would have the same interest in a corner shop that they own?
That the difference in size and investment.
If they couldn't run a corner shop well then I certainly wouldn't want them running a multi-billion pound organisation.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It will be very, very interesting to see what they do. When Glazers bought the club, it was a well run machine. Quite different now. Would not be surprised if they did a restructure of the management. Would almost be surprised if they did not. Some of the untapped potential at the club is managing it better.
When the Glazers bought the club it was managed by Fergie on the football side of the club and the board managed the business side. And since Fergie retired they've tried replicating the manager model on the football side of the club with managers who haven't lasted long in the job, which meant responsibility fell on the chief executive at board room level in the absence of a head of football.

At any successful club in the present day, the head of football works closely with both the recruitment department and the head coach. And has them working in tandem, which aligns the whole process when it comes to planning for the mid to long-term. And that was something that wasn't happening at Liverpool until Klopp turned up and started working with Hunter, Fallows and Edwards who were much ridiculed prior to Klopp's arrival.

So whether it's old management or new management, it's important to align the whole process where the head coach is working together with the numerous departments on the football side of the club. And it's the job of the head of football/DoF to do that, and not someone from the board room.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
If they couldn't run a corner shop well then I certainly wouldn't want them running a multi-billion pound organisation.
My thoughts on this Ratcliffe thing exactly. You can’t run a club on “passion” alone. He’s shown he can’t do it, with two different clubs now. Please for the love of god, anyone but Ratcliffe.

mu4c_20le

That is absolute bollocks. I’d argue it’s even more of a reason to stay away. If he can’t run a much smaller club, with much less of an expectation to do well, how on earth is he going to be trusted to run a 5bn + football club mammoth giant like MUFC. I hope he stays far away as possible from owning Man Utd. It’s been shown he can’t do it. TWICE!
He's running Nice just fine. Two 5th placed finishes and qualified for Europe. People seem to be expecting him to do a PSG.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Well run? First time I have heard that in connection with Mike Ashley. He even took the stadium name to promote his own business.
Depends on what you mean, they're weren't broke, their stadium isn't clapped out, he didn't lumber the club with a massive debt, so he used his business to name the ground, no different to City and any other club that sold the stadium naming rights - the only thing he didn't do was pump silly money in to buy tons players

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think we'll here from the likes of Bloomberg once something more substantial develops.
That's the key word for me: 'Substantial'. If the FT or Bloomberg had something new, that wasn't just a rehash of old speculation, it probably would have gone to print. Maybe there are a bunch of people lurking in the shadows? It just doesn't come across like that though. Right now it seems like Ineos is the most serious bidder.

croadyman

That's the key word for me: 'Substantial'. If the FT or Bloomberg had something new, that wasn't just a rehash of old speculation, it probably would have gone to print. Maybe there are a bunch of people lurking in the shadows? It just doesn't come across like that though. Right now it seems like Ineos is the most serious bidder.
Not as ideal finance wise as ME ownership but certainly significantly better than US minority investors like Sixth Street

Last edited:

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
The Saudis bought Newcastle for £300m, loose change to them obviously. They could just give it to Amanda Staveley for her birthday and buy United instead.

Last edited:

Coops73

Nasser Al-Khelaifi is a member of the UEFA Executive Which would probably help when it comes to acquiring another club. He’ll know exactly what to do to make it work

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They're lurking in the shadows for sure.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
What would it come across like if bids were lurking in the shadows? Every article I’ve read this week from Reuters to the Athletic to the Telegraph have been saying the same thing - full sale the most likely outcome - formal bids middle of Feb with American bids to compete with INEOS and a Middle East bid expected. What are we not hearing that we should be if this wasn’t true?

McTerminator

As an outsider looking in he took you from a yo-yoing shadow of your former selves and solidified you as a prem club once more. Again, as an outsider looking in it seems like we have seen a lot worse.

Amir

Whoever takes over United is unlikely to be a proven and successful owner of football clubs previously, so doubts will creep in any way.

red thru&thru

Whoever takes over United is unlikely to be a proven and successful owner of football clubs previously, so doubts will creep in any way.
There will be a period of uncertainty. However, if they keep hold of EtH, then they have won half of the battle. He is so crucial to us being back where we should be.

croadyman

Just as EtH unites a large portion of the fan base after years of split due to feelings on managers, it seems as though we’re about to be split again because of new owners.
Yeah many would definitely walk with ME owners

fallengt

He would obviously hope to be successful, but bear in mind the Glazers weren't and they are still selling for a massive return, are they not?
Our business structure is clearly falling apart, it's why Glazers selling.
They only made profit because they entered market sooner than everyone. Even city has to keep the spending in check now

croadyman

What would it come across like if bids were lurking in the shadows? Every article I’ve read this week from Reuters to the Athletic to the Telegraph have been saying the same thing - full sale the most likely outcome - formal bids middle of Feb with American bids to compete with INEOS and a Middle East bid expected. What are we not hearing that we should be if this wasn’t true?
Can someone who knows more about this US guy Ballmer tell us is he likely to be a similar type owner to Boehly at all

Status
Not open for further replies.