Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Yeah many would definitely walk with ME owners
And after United start winning silverware again, United would attract newer and younger fans and the ones that walked would inevitably come back.

Last edited:

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Can someone who knows more about this US guy Ballmer tell us is he likely to be a similar type owner to Boehly at all
Ballmer goes for it and has a serious passion to win, he wouldn't be my first choice, but he would be leaps and bounds better than the Glaziers. There's a salary cap in the NDA, but he spends as much as he possibly can. Unfortunately, he has a star player that is constantly hurt or on the verge of being hurt, and in the NBA, if you don't have one of the top 5 players in the league, you ain't winning shit.

croadyman

Ballmer goes for it and has a serious passion to win, he wouldn't be my first choice, but he would be leaps and bounds better than the Glaziers. There's a salary cap in the NDA, but he spends as much as he possibly can. Unfortunately, he has a star player that is constantly hurt or on the verge of being hurt, and in the NBA, if you don't have one of the top 5 players in the league, you ain't winning shit.
OK so not all US options are totally shite then. Any more of that type of passionate owner would be interesting,sounds like he gets very invested in his teams which is positive.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
And after United start winning silverware again, United would attract newer and younger fans and the ones that walked would inevitably come back.
That’s just wrong. Plenty left at the time of the Glazer takeover and didn’t come back. It might be a topic that you or others don’t care about, or to that extent, but for some people it’ll be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

Last edited:

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
INEOS made a £250m loss in 2020 and £500m profit in 2022.

This £60b turnover figure that gets touted is highly misleading. If I turnover £600,000 a year but make profit of £10k, I have no business buying a £100k Porsche
I think you need to look up how businesses of that size work. You think they legitimately only made 500 million when they pulled in 60B? Money is being accounted for in a manner that allows them to be taxed less. United would go a fair way into adding to that.

Infra-red

His net worth is about $7billion less than Abramovich’s peak.
Forbes lists Ratcliffe at $15.5bn (£12.52bn). Abramovic's peak was reported at £11.7bn pre-2008 (the financial crash reportedly wiped about £3bn off his net worth, which eventually sunk to a lowly £6.4bn by 2016).

Zippycup

I think you need to look up how businesses of that size work. You think they legitimately only made 500 million when they pulled in 60B? Money is being accounted for in a manner that allows them to be taxed less. United would go a fair way into adding to that.
Much like the way many companies don't make any profit. BP. Apple to name but a few.

oneway

That’s just wrong. Plenty left at the time of the Glazer takeover and didn’t come back. It might not be a topic that you or others don’t care about, or to that extent, but for some people it’ll be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.
Those fans might not have come back to Old Trafford but they remained fans and were replaced by new match going fans. I don’t think you completely end your interest because of the ownership unless it runs that deep.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You don’t need a leveraged takeover to saddle a club in debt, see current Spurs, and early 00’s Leeds, current Barcelona etc etc.

And no, that isn’t illegal by the way, I thought it too but it’s sadly not yet.

All clubs, especially ones with smaller fan bases should be thankful for owners that make them extremely financially sound.
Spurs had invested in a stadium. It's a shrewd piece of business and its benefits will outshine the drawbacks. Leeds and Barcelona's debt was the result of bad management. That's why the likes of myself are so concerned about yet another clueless owner coming in and from what I read INEOS makes Woodward look like prime SAF.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's not illegal. It was just a government stipulation as part of Chelsea's sale.
As usual London clubs are treated differently from those up North which is kind of ironic considering that most CLs (thus international honours that bring prestige to the country) were won by clubs outside of London. FFS the city with its endless list of clubs had won as many CLs as Nottingham Forest.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That’s just wrong.
Correct.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I do believe I'm fairly representative of a certain kind of fan (in terms of background, age, and so forth).

If I made a decision to walk away from United, that is: not to define myself as a United fan anymore, I wouldn't do so lightly and easily.

And I certainly wouldn't change my mind just because United (under whatever ownership I had a huge problem with in the first place) turned out to win trophies.

The idea that we all just want United to...win things and that anything resembling a, let's say, moral objection is just empty posturing...is incorrect.

If United were purchased by certain owners tomorrow, I know a lot of United fans who would regard that as the last straw. They would - indeed - abandon the club.

Mainoldo

Correct.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I do believe I'm fairly representative of a certain kind of fan (in terms of background, age, and so forth).

If I made a decision to walk away from United, that is: not to define myself as a United fan anymore, I wouldn't do so lightly and easily.

And I certainly wouldn't change my mind just because United (under whatever ownership I had a huge problem with in the first place) turned out to win trophies.

The idea that we all just want United to...win things and that anything resembling a, let's say, moral objection is just empty posturing...is incorrect.

If United were purchased by certain owners tomorrow, I know a lot of United fans who would regard that as the last straw. They would - indeed - abandon the club.
Certain owners? Arab owners?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The Arnold and Murtough thing fine. But if you just settle the debt how are you financing the stadium, training ground and football team?

The club closes to us in debt is Spurs and that’s due to their stadium mortgage? You think these mini billionaires are going to go broke giving us a stadium for free.
We are currently spending circa £20m in interest payments every season, servicing the Glazers debt. Add to this circa £30m in dividends every year and that’s a fair chunk towards the transfer kitty.
Any stadium development would likely be debt funded or partially funded by sponsorships, but that’s not the same as debt for debts sake. We would at least have something to show for it, and the stadium improvements would likely pay for themselves in time.

Mainoldo

We are currently spending circa £20m in interest payments every season, servicing the Glazers debt. Add to this circa £30m in dividends every year and that’s a fair chunk towards the transfer kitty.
Any stadium development would likely be debt funded or partially funded by sponsorships, but that’s not the same as debt for debts sake. We would at least have something to show for it, and the stadium improvements would likely pay for themselves in time.
Agreed… but for £6bn what kind of sale is that.

Poor one if you ask me. In transfer terms it’s a Harry Maguire.. But to cater for everyone it’s a Paul Pogba.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
That’s just wrong. Plenty left at the time of the Glazer takeover and didn’t come back. It might be a topic that you or others don’t care about, or to that extent, but for some people it’ll be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.
That's fair. I still think that if a ME group comes in and United start winning silverware again that it will end up being a net gain as far as the amount of United fans are concerned.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Agreed… but for £6bn what kind of sale is that.

Poor one if you ask me. In transfer terms it’s a Harry Maguire.. But to cater for everyone it’s a Paul Pogba.
I actually think Pogba is a good analogy for what could happen under state ownership.
Big Money, huge expectations, hyped to the max but never really did it consistently, upset a lot of people and was ultimately hugely disappointing.
Oil money is no guarantee of success.

Mainoldo

I actually think Pogba is a good analogy for what could happen under state ownership.
Big Money, huge expectations, hyped to the max but never really did it consistently, upset a lot of people and was ultimately hugely disappointing.
Oil money is no guarantee of success.
That’s why I want the desert money. They don’t go Todd Boehly trying to buy 22 players in two windows. They do things properly, constructive. No egos.

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

Like a company that uses Crude Oil, Gas, Ethane/Propane to produce some very nasty and dangerous chemicals & pollutants?
Are you comfortable typing this on your phone/laptop/desktop most likely made in a factory with highly questionable HSE standards?

LordSpud

I dont give a toss who it is as long as we end up at the top of the tree again.

AlPistacho

Are you comfortable typing this on your phone/laptop/desktop most likely made in a factory with highly questionable HSE standards?
Yes. Because I’m not the one moral pedestaling about United’s next owners, I’m merely pointing out that INEOS could easily be demonised.

My objective to INEOS is simple. In a league where it would be very easy to turn a team into the second/third best team they have not. So what hope do they have in the Premier League.

Redfrog

That’s why I want the desert money. They don’t go Todd Boehly trying to buy 22 players in two windows. They do things properly, constructive. No egos.
Doesn’t look like that at PSG. This Nasser guy has the biggest ego of all.

Amir

Would be nice to hear from a prospective bidder that they want to make us a force again,not untapped financial potential
Unfortunately no potential buyer will be targetting the club without having something to gain.

At the same time, no one will be spending billions on us just to see us being mediocre. A successful side will also serve their interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.