Glazers to generate $400m by selling 24m Class A shares (apparently not)

ATXRedDevil

Thanks. Excellent and well explained post.
You've certainly just burst mine! Hahaha.

But thank you and I really appreciate your reply. It's great to learn new things, especially by someone who actually does this as a day job.
Finally someone cuts through all the uninformed bollocks. Genuinely appreciate you taking the time to put this out there.
no problem and thanks, fellas. Probably the first time I feel like I’ve added value to the board rather than my usual rubbish :D

MrPooni

From my experience this is a classical corporate “have your cake and eat it too”!

Using a timeline it started in the summer 2018. I assume the owners gave the board instructions to;

a) reduce investments
b) cutting costs
c) shifting focus from increasing revenues to maximize profits

It all make sense.

In the summer 2018 we saw Woodward using the handbrake regarding buying new expensive players. He started to shifting high incomes against low or median incomes.

Mourinho (high) against Solksjaer (low median)
Lukaku and Sanchez (high) against James and Greenwood (low)
Fellaini and Herrera (median) against McTominay and Pereira (low)
Valencia, Darmian and Smalling (median) against Tuanzebe and Dalot (low)

Selling assets 2019

Lukaku
Fellaini

Maguire and AWB was a huge long term investments t but both are English and on relatively speaking median incomes. So that also make sense in this scenario. We need to blend young academy players with proven quality.

Next summer (2020) we will probably see the departure of Matic, Young and one of Jones/Rojo. All of them are on median incomes. It’s possible we sell Pogba (high income/huge asset) and reinvest some of it in younger players with low or median incomes.

Yesterday the owners opened the door to sell more shares. From my perspective that’s the next logical step if they want to “cash in”. We have already heard the rumors about a Saudi takeover. I assume more rumors will come.

We saw from last financial report that we estimate a lower turnover in 2020. The owners are scared that this will reduce the value of the club. That why we so dramatically lowering our costs in order to keeping our profits high. Typical behavior of defensive owners.

Shifting Mou against Ole was another indicator. From a vocal and controversial character to a loyal and diplomatic person who is (over) positive and can follow corporate instructions. On top of that a ex player and a legend who has the fan base behind him. Bingo!

Next crucial indicator will be how we handle Paul Pogba. Selling him and mission is completed.
:lol:

Christ, I didn't realise this was the conspiracy theory thread. A+ on the creative writing, D- on the financial analysis front and F re: your grasp on reality.

All joking aside though, this is some seriously irresponsible speculation here.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

The difference is that some of the clubs have put in healthy structures and organizations below the owners, we are still struggling to do that.
Spot on!

IMO this is where we are really lagging behind City and Liverpool (besides on the field as well). I don't have all the information about the workings of the club, much of the money-making side is good (self evident), but once you get onto the business of the football its self it becomes a night mare, there seems to be duplication and cross-overs at all levels. The last announcement I recall was the intention to form a Transfer Committee. Now if this new committee is just to oversee transfers, i.e. to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's etc make sure things go as planned, then it may pass muster, but if its job includes for the strategic planning for and evaluating transfer proposals, including structuring approaches to clubs and players, then I fear we are doomed... remember the horse designed by a committee, usually finishes up as a camel!

DSG

Spot on!

IMO this is where we are really lagging behind City and Liverpool (besides on the field as well). I don't have all the information about the workings of the club, much of the money-making side is good (self evident), but once you get onto the business of the football its self it becomes a night mare, there seems to be duplication and cross-overs at all levels. The last announcement I recall was the intention to form a Transfer Committee. Now if this new committee is just to oversee transfers, i.e. to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's etc make sure things go as planned, then it may pass muster, but if its job includes for the strategic planning for and evaluating transfer proposals, including structuring approaches to clubs and players, then I fear we are doomed... remember the horse designed by a committee, usually finishes up as a camel!
I agree. We are way behind Liverpool. City is a bit of a different animal. They can afford to blow 50m on Mendy and 50m on Stones, pay 60m for a squad player in their side - Mahrez, lose Sane for the season and still have a world class side. They also paid a huge amount for staff (Pep) and the structure, cause, well, they are owned by a fecking country. At any rate, they are still our competition, so we have to do better than them with less resources.

No doubt, we have a long way to go.

red thru&thru

As usual in the Caf, there are a lot of comments by members who don’t really understand asset management, share classes and share issuance requirements.

4. Most PL teams are operated as assets, not family run businesses. Large multinationals and hedge funds are major shareholders in most of the clubs. Most of the owners are not “football men”. The difference is that some of the clubs have put in healthy structures and oranganizations below the owners, we are still struggling to do that.
This is the point I've been making in other posts. We have got the wrong people in charge of the day to day running of the club. Every organisation is run for a profit, so I have no gripes of the Glazer's doing this. Hell, if it isn't them, someone else will be. But point 4 is my MAIN issue. If they could get this right, which shouldn't be too difficult to do, then we as supporters and fans will be much happier. I do have a bee in my bonnet about the lack of investment of the ground, however, one step at a time.

Johan07

This is the point I've been making in other posts. We have got the wrong people in charge of the day to day running of the club. Every organisation is run for a profit, so I have no gripes of the Glazer's doing this. Hell, if it isn't them, someone else will be. But point 4 is my MAIN issue. If they could get this right, which shouldn't be too difficult to do, then we as supporters and fans will be much happier. I do have a bee in my bonnet about the lack of investment of the ground, however, one step at a time.
This I agree on. Our place need to be fixed up.
I dont know why it has not happened yet though.
The logical explanation is that we are waiting for a solution to the rail issue and that we are thinking of doing both the expansion and the renovation in "once". Which would be preferrable and logical per se.
But it has taken to long now and the matter should be addressed. Its not like the renovation inself is a lot of money. The rail issue and the expansion is though.

MrPooni

Log onto Youtube and see a United Stand video titled "Man Utd up for Sale" and then came straight on here and read the posts by @ATXRedDevil

Feelz bad man...:(
@Devil_forever pointed out that the whole story was rubbish in big, bold, capital letters on page 1 of the thread and even requested a mod change the title to avoid this kind of confusion to be fair but everyone decided to ignore it and run with their own little narratives anyway.

Last edited:

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
@Devil_forever pointed out that the whole story was rubbish in big, bold, capital letters on page 1 of the thread and even request a mod change the title to avoid this kind of confusion to be fair but everyone decided to ignore it and run with their own little narratives anyway.
I aint got time to read page 1 brother, I need the latest reaction to confirm whether or not it's legit instead of the inevititable initial confusion. But enough about that, eat sleep and be merry for tonight we hammered Rochdale on penalties. Look after yourself chicken

seegoblu

One more thing to consider re: the shelf registration being a red-herring with respect to a Glazer sale of the club, selling piece-meal into the market does not reward the Glazers for their control stake.

Selling shares into the market to buyers only yields them the market price per share x the number of shares owned. However, if they want to sell the club they will rightly demand a premium over the market price because they aren't just selling a number of shares, they are also selling the control over the club.

So if they have 100 share and sell into the market to 100 new shareholders they would only get 100 x price per share quoted on the NYSE (approx $16/share). However, if they want to sell the club, the can sell the 100 shares to a single buyer for a negotiated price higher (perhaps much higher) than the quoted stock price.

This was simply corporate house cleaning.

Melville Red

I just want to see the back of the Glazers and Woody.
I just want to win the Euro Lotto jackpot.
I wonder what is more likely, me winning the jackpot or Woody and the Glazers peeing off?

Both very very very unlikely but I have a ticket so the odds are stacked in my favour:lol:

fergiesarmy1

I just want to win the Euro Lotto jackpot.
I wonder what is more likely, me winning the jackpot or Woody and the Glazers peeing off?

Both very very very unlikely but I have a ticket so the odds are stacked in my favour:lol:
You and the glazers (one of em at least) both have better chances of being struck by lightning, thanks for your sacrifice pal :D

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He just bought Nice for 95m, that was probably his level. Its funny that people think that because someone has an appreciated level of 11bn or whatever that they could actually cash out for a Manchester United at 6-7bn (which it would take for the Glazers to sell).
Thats an extreme amount of money if you are not a) the Saudis or b) you LBO it and put even more debt on the club. I have said this so many times, but thats the two alternatives if the Glazers decide to sell. Both fecking terrible. There is no other realistic alternative.
Yeh. Quite stupid. 6 billion can net you 5 to 7 percent conservatively invested in property and blue chips.

That's like 300m per year for doing nothing.

And yet here we are calling glazer leeches for taking 20m divident.

RedCurry

Yeh. Quite stupid. 6 billion can net you 5 to 7 percent conservatively invested in property and blue chips.

I get your point but blue chips don't give you 5 to 7% in dividends. Rental properties may or may not give you 5-7% in rent annually. You are more likely talking total return, in that case, Glazers are quite clearly much better of being invested in Man Utd than a stock portfolio or real estate.

Although, their handling of club operations is like buying a prime rental property and giving it to their drunk cousin for property management. It's not that they are charging us(Man Utd) too much rent, it's that there are probably better landlords who can manage our property with the care it deserves.

Offsideagain

If the club does become up for sale, Jim Radcliffe would borrow some or all of the money to buy it. He wouldn’t throw his own dosh at it which could be £3bn as he probably doesn’t have the cash under his mattress. If he did, I can guarantee the club would be run differently and more efficiently than it has for a long time. It may not solve playing issues short term and some would want him out after a year as that’s the nature of the beast. He takes no prisoners according to those that have worked for his companies. He scared the s*** out of Alex Salmond when he threatened to close Grangemouth if the Jocks didn’t allow fracked gas in from the states, which they did in a heartbeat going against their stated green policy.

red thru&thru

If the club does become up for sale, Jim Radcliffe would borrow some or all of the money to buy it. He wouldn’t throw his own dosh at it which could be £3bn as he probably doesn’t have the cash under his mattress. If he did, I can guarantee the club would be run differently and more efficiently than it has for a long time. It may not solve playing issues short term and some would want him out after a year as that’s the nature of the beast. He takes no prisoners according to those that have worked for his companies. He scared the s*** out of Alex Salmond when he threatened to close Grangemouth if the Jocks didn’t allow fracked gas in from the states, which they did in a heartbeat going against their stated green policy.
Club is being run efficiently, just not the footballing side of things is.

Offsideagain

Club is being run efficiently, just not the footballing side of things is.
I said MORE EFFICIENTLY with no passengers. I doubt if Sanchez, DiMaria or Falcao would have got within a hundred miles of Manchester if JR owned United. The commercial side may be efficient but recruitment certainly isn’t. However, makes no difference as he won’t buy United. If someone does, it will be a mega rich country with dodgy human rights record even though that’s been done before:eek:

Hughie77

Remind me, are the Class A shares the ones they have sold before (and I think bought back again?) which are second class shares and have no voting rights or are they the real deal ones with voting rights?
There the ones that could be sold, they have what I've read is put in a shelf to sell if needed, doesn't mean they will, it last for 2 years I think then they have to fill out shelf form again. The class B shares are the ones the Glazers own to control the club.

Johan07

Wow, this is actually turning into a sensible thread. With the obvious exceptions....

Johan07

They would make more money by putting their investment into gold. Good post and something people should reflect upon.

fergiesarmy1

Pretty sure ”they” had no idea what ”they” were talking about. If ”they” were to begin with...
If a billionaire could guarantee 7% returns on blue stock and property they would never invest in a business on their own again.

Johan07

If a billionaire could guarantee 7% returns on blue stock and property they would never invest in a business on their own again.
I am not unaware of the fact that we could have been bought by a "benefactor" or a "sugar daddy" back in 2003-2004.
That was when it was a real possibilty.
Now it is not anymore.
Its at least good to see some proper posts based on reality in this thread.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why not? How do you think they made those billions in the first place?

A very simple thing to do is buy property with cash (so no interest accrued) and rent it out. The property would rise and you get rent every month. 5 percent perannum return is very conservative

fergiesarmy1

A very simple thing to do is buy property with cash (so no interest accrued) and rent it out. The property would rise and you get rent every month. 5 percent perannum return is very conservative
Buying property see above?

Invest in a business - dodgy

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

No smart business man will buy a rental property with cash. They get a loan and make the renter pay for it. Take non of the risk, all of the profit.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No smart business man will buy a rental property with cash. They get a loan and make the renter pay for it. Take non of the risk, all of the profit.
That depends though, if you have spare cash buying a property outright without loan means more rent as you don't have to pay mortgages and interest. Off course it gets complicated if it's 6 billion, especially with the risk involved.

United without potential growth is a bad business. You get 20-30M divident per year on a good year, while being called a leech, you can't raise tickets without being boycotted, not to mention if shit happens you have to take extra loan or inject more to fix things up, spending 100M per year isn't enough these days, and that's assuming you didn't feck up with choosing the manager.

Glazer made his fortune in capital growth from 1bn to 4bn (assuming he sell it today), but for the next investor to make money spending 6 billion buying United, we will have to grow to 10 Billion in value (which is a very unlikely possibility as there's a ceiling to how far you can get all things considered). 20M divident per year for a 6 billion investment is a stupid investment

PS: I quoted 6 billion as it's only natural for a solid business to be sold above their market value.

Scholsey2004

Im getting a bit tired of capitalism now. The glazers buy the club with the club's money???? Somehow manage to run it as a cash cow that makes as much when it's unsuccessful as when it's winning (riddle me that Batman), and makes millions selling shares that have virtually no voting rights and they can forcibly repurchase if they choose. It's like a fecking pyramid scheme.

ATXRedDevil

Im getting a bit tired of capitalism now. The glazers buy the club with the club's money???? Somehow manage to run it as a cash cow that makes as much when it's unsuccessful as when it's winning (riddle me that Batman), and makes millions selling shares that have virtually no voting rights and they can forcibly repurchase if they choose. It's like a fecking pyramid scheme.
There’s so much wrong with this post...

because capitalism has funded Abromavich and the Qataris’ takeovers of English clubs?

the vast majority of the club’s shares are held by Glazer affiliates, voting rights were always inconsequential as a result. The club just lost WKSI status because the public float (public shares held by non affiliates are valued <$700m). If you take the valuation of the club and do some basic math, you’ll see that the public shares represent far less than anything close to a majority, and when the majority is owned by a single group of affiliates, you shouldn’t buy shares if you have an issue with that. Securities laws are pretty clear about disclosure requirements for affiliate ownership. If you buy Man Utd expecting your vote to count, you’re a fool and didn’t do your diligence and read publicly available disclosure document to investors.

all that said, those shares do provide economic rights. Issuing primary shares in the public entity decreases the Glazers’ economic interest (which, to an average investor, is far more important than voting rights - especially if you research before investing and realize that this is a controlled company and your vote never mattered anyway...) every time the Glazers issue primary shares (which frankly, I’m not sure they’ve done, they’ve sold their own (secondary sales), but they bought those for their actual value and are well within their rights to sell the shares they own) they dilute their shares and their rights. Dividends have to be distributed equitably across the class of equity securities. So if they sell their own shares, they lose the dividends on those. If they issue new primary shares, the dividends on their shares are decreased because of the dilution.

I’m tired of the Glazers too, but this is an uninformed post.

edit: oh, about the leveraged buyout, this is how business works, unless you’re from a communist or autocratic country where you make your fortune on the bodies of migrant (slave) workers or strict autocratic socialism where a few families benefit from state ownership (see Qatar).

put me in the category that would prefer an owner that conducted a leveraged buyout over an autocrat that profits off of state ownership (corruption) or slavery. That said, the Glazers are shit owners no matter how they made their money.

edit again: I’m not even going to get in to your ridiculous notion about redemption rights on those shares u til you’ve actually read the prospectuses that describe the right of the holder of those shares. Go look that prospectus up and show me where it says they can be forcibly repurchased. Are you confusing equity securities with debt securities (the latter always having a repurchase/redemption right that’s disclosed in the prospectus and registration statement for said securities?)

Last edited: