Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

AneRu

Man Utd are too big a commercial entity for a handful of local fans to change it's ownership structure through mass protests and demonstrations. The cash registers will keep ringing as we have international appeal and the juggernaught will continue. As long as Glazers are able to keep the club competitive while taking out dividends, they won't sell. This is basically a perpetuity for them.

We can keep cribbing about it or shout from rooftops but this is the fact. We need to embrace reality.
Sustained protests do work but they are difficult to maintain. The club's greatest strength - its attractiveness to sponsors - is also its greatest weakness because whilst the Glazers can afford to ignore the fans' protests, sponsors cannot and I doubt they pay millions of pounds to be associated with a brand at war with its customers, the same customers they came for.

However we are too easy to please, a DOF is in place so we will saying give the new guy a chance. If they feel the mood turning they go seriously in for Haaland without the intention of paying for him at all then brief the media blaming his greed agent and we almost always fall for it. Worse if they sign Sancho, for example but leave the other areas unattended, we celebrate Woodward like a boss. Our attention is too easy to distract.

red thru&thru

Great video that.

I have mentioned numerous times before that the money has been spent. Enough money spent for us to be competing. However, the Glazers never had the correct people in the positions that were needed and thus why we never succeeded.

I almost hope the lack of fans not being able to come in to stadiums continues, just to cripple the leaches more.

wolvored

This club is finished as a trophy winning team on a regular basis under this regime. City will eventually pass us by as will Liverpool in premier wins. We will finish top 4 fairly regularly for a while and even 2nd occasionally and that will be it. No top players unless after a final big payday will want to come and any youngsters that develop into fine players will want to leave. Look at the structure all built on hope that ex Fergie players will somehow turn the clock back 20-25 years. The only hope is the Glazers kids get greedy and want to sell up but that might be another 20 years away.

stubie

I blame those 2 Irish guys for this mess! the ones who had that horse and had the fall out with Fergie

AneRu

Great video that.

I have mentioned numerous times before that the money has been spent. Enough money spent for us to be competing. However, the Glazers never had the correct people in the positions that were needed and thus why we never succeeded.

I almost hope the lack of fans not being able to come in to stadiums continues, just to cripple the leaches more.
The sad thing is it won't, didn't Joel or Avram not just sell a tiny bit of their stake for $70m odd?

Josep Dowling

I think sometimes people underestimate just how much those summers from 2009-2013 really set us back in terms of building on the squad from a position of strength
Totally agree. We had major under investment for those 5 years. Our only marquee signing in that period was an aging Van Persie.

We lost Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov. Scholes, Giggs, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Van Der Sar were all coming up to retirement and not a single player was replaced with similar quality.

Then the football market inflated because of City and PSG just as we needed to have a full rebuild of the squad. In monetary terms we couldn’t have picked a worst time to start the rebuild. That’s why we have wasted so much money. Bought at over inflated prices and none of those players, unfortunately for us, worked out.

red thru&thru

The sad thing is it won't, didn't Joel or Avram not just sell a tiny bit of their stake for $70m odd?
Avram sold around $100m worth of shares. Previous to this, Kevin & Ed changed their holdings from B to A shares.

I just don't see what their exit plan is? The Glazers aren't getting any younger, who's off springs seem to be mostly girls...where by in large, girls don't tend to take over their father's/mother's sports enterprises.

I'm hoping something positive for us fans is around the corner.

AneRu

Avram sold around $100m worth of shares. Previous to this, Kevin & Ed changed their holdings from B to A shares.

I just don't see what their exit plan is? The Glazers aren't getting any younger, who's off springs seem to be mostly girls...where by in large, girls don't tend to take over their father's/mother's sports enterprises.

I'm hoping something positive for us fans is around the corner.
They would want a big payday but no one is biting so I think they will keep control and individually sell off tiny bits at a time. I don't think they are still behaving like a unit anymore.

UnitedFan93

On top of all that has been said, I wouldn't be surprised if back in 2008, pre-takeover of city, City's owners looked at what was coming for United (financial constraints, lack of wider investment etc) under the Glazers as part of their overall takeover appraisal and realised that they could more than compete against the biggest name in world football and overtake them. In the early days of the takeover, their whole existence was to compete against United, their marketing campaigns was all about derby day etc. They were using the MUFC brand to put themselves on the map as their city rivals.

Unfortunately, I believe City's takeover became much more likely because of the Glazer ownership and associated debt. United were the benchmark back then so if you could compete and overtake them you were doing well and being run efficiently, something that City could use as PR. Sheik Mansour may well have picked up a club in London if United was debt free in 2008. Unfortunately we had the Glazers.

red thru&thru

They would want a big payday but no one is biting so I think they will keep control and individually sell off tiny bits at a time. I don't think they are still behaving like a unit anymore.
Agreed. There's definitely fractions between the siblings it seems. I commented on this back in early 2020. Just hoping this is a start of them beginning to exit the club. Blind faith more than anything else.

clarkydaz

Sustained protests do work but they are difficult to maintain. The club's greatest strength - its attractiveness to sponsors - is also its greatest weakness because whilst the Glazers can afford to ignore the fans' protests, sponsors cannot and I doubt they pay millions of pounds to be associated with a brand at war with its customers, the same customers they came for.

However we are too easy to please, a DOF is in place so we will saying give the new guy a chance. If they feel the mood turning they go seriously in for Haaland without the intention of paying for him at all then brief the media blaming his greed agent and we almost always fall for it. Worse if they sign Sancho, for example but leave the other areas unattended, we celebrate Woodward like a boss. Our attention is too easy to distract.
We had the stadium singing against the board, and the planned game walkout. Things were getting uncomfortable for them. it was going well and gathering steam again until we signed Bruno, then all the fight disappeared. Fanbase are too flippant and lazy

Water Melon

We had the stadium singing against the board, and the planned game walkout. Things were getting uncomfortable for them. it was going well and gathering steam again until we signed Bruno, then all the fight disappeared. Fanbase are too flippant and lazy
Exactly. The Glazers will feel very uncomfortable, once the fans start showing their discontent properly. Why would you want to own a business that is being left behind by competitors, while your clients are very vocal in their claims that you are a shite owner? Also, two or three more years of this post SAF shite, and the majority will start to be proud of finishing top 4. They will forget about winning big trophies and continue being loyal to the mediocricy that is being engraved into the Club's DNA.

Mindhunter

Just horrible owners.
Why? For ensuring our revenues are not dependent how many oil clubs are there in the domestic league? For trying to protect their investment and competitive advantage in an environment unsuitable for sustainably run businesses?

Coops73

Why? For ensuring our revenues are not dependent how many oil clubs are there in the domestic league? For trying to protect their investment and competitive advantage in an environment unsuitable for sustainably run businesses?
feck me it doesn’t stop does it.

The oil clubs i.e. Man City are going to be involved and this has more to it that just keeping those clubs at bay.

Silverman

Now is the time to push these parasites out.
They care only about themselves and their pockets.

redmanx

With Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur all signing up to a European Super League its proof, if any were ever needed, all of the owners of these clubs are greedy, selfish people who have no interest in football as a sport and see it purely as a way to make money. EUFA and the FA are trying to block this so called super league but if it goes ahead ground roots football throughout the UK and Europe will suffer and, if players of super league clubs are banned from representing their nations, something FIFA threatened the last time this abhorrent idea was mooted, International competion will also suffer. And what quality of football can we expect to see in a super league where there will be no relegation, just the same clubs playing each other season after season; where is the competition in that? The competition, the real competition, will be to see which owner is the richest. This is not "football evolution" as some have tried to sell it as its devolution and will harm the game world wide for years to come, maybe fatally. Sir Alex has spoken against it, as has Gary Neville who was utterly scathing regards Uniteds part in it all and others in Europe have too but the money involved is immense, matching the greed of the club owners who are prepared to sacrifice football for a fistful of dollars!

Foxbatt

It's the end of my supporting Manchester United. It's was a good ride. I will fully support the PL docking points and throwing out all the these teams from the PL and UEFA suspending all these teams from Europe immediately.

AshRK

Hopefully this wakes all of our fans and we can feck these parasites and their apologists off this club. Feck off anyone still defending them.

diarm

These pricks bought our club without spending any money to do so, and now they've managed to sell it without losing ownership of it.

They are scum and I can't support what they've turned the club into anymore. I'm ashamed I didn't walk back in 2005 and I'm not standing around happy clapping while they drag the corpse of the club around a ringfenced Super League on puppet strings.

Mindhunter

feck me it doesn’t stop does it.

The oil clubs i.e. Man City are going to be involved and this has more to it that just keeping those clubs at bay.
Not really. It is about guaranteeing revenues from Europe every year without fail. Right now, clubs are struggling with top 4 as more and more middle-eastern countries or oligarchs buy PL clubs. Man City are already dead on to qualify every year. Next it will be Newcastle United and before you know it clubs like United and Liverpool will be the feeder clubs.

The current system of financial doping is creating existential issues for the old firm clubs and hence they are acting to protect themselves. Either UEFA has to change or the super-league will go ahead. Clubs like ours won't sit on their heels and see this change happen gleefully.

Crustanoid

MOTD have just rubbished it, and there was a direct quote from Joel Glazer which endorsed it in the statement. If we thought they’d been shit selfish owners before, this has taken things to another level

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The UK government,the FA,the PL,other clubs etc didn't lift a finger to stop the Glazers in 2004.

So predictable that it would all end in tears.

Infra-red

They are about to be given €233m (along with all the other founding clubs). I wonder what the Glazers will do with all of that money...

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Hopefully this wakes all of our fans and we can feck these parasites and their apologists off this club. Feck off anyone still defending them.
Absolutely. One positive out of all this is it might force politicians, fans, everyone, to look at the situation and start to ask fundamental questions about the way the sport is heading.

Dante

Average bang
Let's be honest with ourselves here. When the Glazers bought United in 2003, an NFL-style European Super League was always their endgame.

The only surprising thing is the fact it's taken them 18 years to turn us into a franchise.

diarm

Let's be honest with ourselves here. When the Glazers bought United in 2003, an NFL-style European Super League was always their endgame.

The only surprising thing is the fact it's taken them 18 years to turn us into a franchise.
I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the Glazers, FSG and Kronke had this planned before they ever took over the clubs.

redmanx

Fergie was at fault there. Being too greedy
Depends who you believe really; Fergie often said he put more store by a handshake between gentlemen than a written contract and he claimed there was an unwritten agreement between him and the other guy regarding the horse and the other guy broke that agreement. Interestingly, after legal proceedings began the Irish guy asked to settle the matter out of court.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
I wonder how this greed will filter down to the fans. We already see it with sky sports and bt making football inaccessible to the average fan of the years.

No doubt these games will go to someone like Amazon and be blockbuster ppv prices. And with finals in Saudia Arabia no doubt too.

Fans need to get out in numbers and start protesting at stadiums. feck the glazers