Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The least redcafe could do is pin this to the top of home page

Memento28

This thread tells it all
Damn, this shows how poorly the club is being managed by the owners, they are leeching money made by the club and have no real ideas about actually improving the club or maybe they don't care as long as they are making money. I would say it's the latter. Every Manchester United fan needs to see this thread and do bigger protests or something. (Can't post media yet, had to remove the tweet from the quote)

I’m loving my life

You blame the glazers for Maguires mistakes? For Bruno wasting/losing possession? For Rashford's inability to do anything right? For that fact that nobody can but a decent ball in the box? I could go. We have a better squad and a better manager than (on paper at least) than Brentford. The Glazers shouldn't be used as an excuse for what we saw on Saturday.

We could in theory get to a point where if the players were performing to their best that it might become apparent that the Glazers are holding the team back from competing with the likes of Liverpool, City and Chelsea due to lack of investment. But more than enough has been invested that you can't say they're holding us back from competing with Brentford. Once the players start doing they're part (some effort and desire would be a start) it'll be a lot easier to point the finger at the Glazers.
This is getting ridiculous at this point.

The fish rots from the head. Of course the players are better but the culture of mediocrity stemming from the owners, to poor management and a loser’s environment has led to every single one of our signings, the manager and the team performing worse.

It is not an argument to say they didn’t directly intervene and specifically cause the issues for the players on Saturday. They are presiding over our decline from a world class outfit to what we are seeing on the pitch currently and it continues to get worse.

Posts like this are not constructive

tbtt

WUM
Perhaps all that Glazers care about is money, but it doesn't explain why they have managed the club so poorly. They are surely the ones that would get the biggest financial rewards from a series of silverwares. Perhaps it is their incompetency, rather than their motives, that should be the focus of criticism.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Perhaps all that Glazers care about is money, but it doesn't explain why they have managed the club so poorly. They are surely the ones that would get the biggest financial rewards from a series of silverwares. Perhaps it is their incompetency, rather than their motives, that should be the focus of criticism.
If it is true and their companies are now losing money apart from their NFL teams and us since their dad died, then yes it might be down to incompetence. It might not take much for us to start losing money as well.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
People saying that they money they have taken wouldn't make much difference regarding transfers, well if they weren't in charge it would as the club might have been run properly in the first place.
I don't think we can say that any longer.

With the money they have took out, we could have built a new, state of the art stadium, and invested £650-700m on the squad. This summer we need more money than we are going to spend, and that is because they've took so much out and we can't afford to spend more than we are (£100-150m maybe). If we had that money in the club, we wouldn't be looking at the players we are.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
Because they have hired people who only are in place to develop the commercial side of things. Whilst the team does well (at least in the Champions League) that is fine and ok. I also think in the first 7 years or so they severely relied on Fergie to keep the wheels spinning. What the man did towards the end was possibly the greatest managerial achievement alongside Ranieri winning the league with Leicester.

The football squad therefore took a back seat to the needs of the growth of the commercial side. Eventually though that is going to cause problems and I think that is what is starting to become increasingly obvious right now.

DomesticTadpole

I don't think we can say that any longer.

With the money they have took out, we could have built a new, state of the art stadium, and invested £650-700m on the squad. This summer we need more money than we are going to spend, and that is because they've took so much out and we can't afford to spend more than we are (£100-150m maybe). If we had that money in the club, we wouldn't be looking at the players we are.
It is all down to them isn't it. Different owners might have cared and realised a new stadium build would have improved their and the clubs kudos. A new training ground, a better transfer strategy, the list is endless. The PL have a case to answer as well.

gza the genius

I think at this point the only way the Glazers eventually sell is after they drive us so firmly in to mediocrity that we are no longer profitable enough to keep paying them and make the interest payments. Fun times ahead.

I really just don't understand how they can't see that the more successful we are the more money they'll make.

DomesticTadpole

what’s wrong with painting?
A lot cheaper than actually making any structural changes to the stadium. Who wants better, safer facilities when we can give it a lick of paint, hell it cost to hire the painters, why didn't they ask the fans to do it for nothing. In fact the fans could provide the paint as well.

DomesticTadpole

I think at this point the only way the Glazers eventually sell is after they drive us so firmly in to mediocrity that we are no longer profitable enough to keep paying them and make the interest payments. Fun times ahead.

I really just don't understand how they can't see that the more successful we are the more money they'll make.
It is sons of Malcolm Glazer, not Malcolm Glazer.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
This is getting ridiculous at this point.

The fish rots from the head. Of course the players are better but the culture of mediocrity stemming from the owners, to poor management and a loser’s environment has led to every single one of our signings, the manager and the team performing worse.

It is not an argument to say they didn’t directly intervene and specifically cause the issues for the players on Saturday. They are presiding over our decline from a world class outfit to what we are seeing on the pitch currently and it continues to get worse.

Posts like this are not constructive
I agree with this, 100%
It’s hard to understand how supporters could defend/excuse the owners anymore, to be honest. Club first. It’s survival stakes.
Failings by players/coaches etc we will always have. But you need the house in order to make any kind of new start. Glazers Out.

DomesticTadpole

To be fair, red does fade mega fast :lol: Maybe we should change the colour of the stadium.
As I mentioned about, they should have got fans doing it for nothing, bring your own paint, it would be multicoloured. In fact why not atomic green like the 3rd kit.

Last edited:

grahamo

If it is true and their companies are now losing money apart from their NFL teams and us since their dad died, then yes it might be down to incompetence. It might not take much for us to start losing money as well.
Purely down to incompetence IMO. Malcolm Glazer at least had some sense and left the running of the club to football people. His idiot children treat the club like a playstation game and they are playing football manager. Some of the stories are unreal. He wouldn't sell Martial cos He was his favourite player? Mourinho knew what he was doing getting rid of that waster. Now I'm reading online that He doesn't want to let Ronaldo go against the advice of another football man (ETH). Glazers out and the sooner the better! Do the right thing Joel. Sell up and go. We despise You!

downunder red

You blame the glazers for Maguires mistakes? For Bruno wasting/losing possession? For Rashford's inability to do anything right? For that fact that nobody can but a decent ball in the box? I could go. We have a better squad and a better manager than (on paper at least) than Brentford. The Glazers shouldn't be used as an excuse for what we saw on Saturday.

We could in theory get to a point where if the players were performing to their best that it might become apparent that the Glazers are holding the team back from competing with the likes of Liverpool, City and Chelsea due to lack of investment. But more than enough has been invested that you can't say they're holding us back from competing with Brentford. Once the players start doing they're part (some effort and desire would be a start) it'll be a lot easier to point the finger at the Glazers.
See ya.

Jericho

Oh please, we've heard that reductionist nonsense before.

Its down to pure and utter incompetency from the top down. We've had a decade of Woodward, a Glazer yes man who was woefully bad at his job, and largely responsible for the terrible business we've done over the years. And now he's been replaced (9 years too late) by more bankers and Glazer plugs who look every bit as woeful. We have a passive ownership who don't seem the slightest bit bothered by the club's rapid decline, and seem content being the only PL owners to take dividends out, and siphoning profits towards paying interest off a debt they themselves forced on the club. We've not been proactive in recruitment for the last decade, our scouting has been non-existent, we've brought in players solely on marketing potential, we've renewed contracts for the sake of it, offering ludicrous salaries for an average-at-best group of players who we struggle to offload without them leaving on a free. We take an absolute age to carry out any transfer business while our rivals snoop in, and get it done. And I've not even gone into our antiquated facilities or stadium that's been embarrassingly falling apart.

So yes, its all on the owners. Anyone who doesn't see that is a Glazer apologist, pure and simple.
None of that explains why this group of players can't muster up any kind of a reasonable level of performance against literally anyone. Never mind performance, the effort has been visible on the pitch. These players are better than what they're showing. We've already seen it from them. Maguire, Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, De Gea, even Martial. But they're clearly not doing their part right now.

It should be obvious that none of that is to say that getting the Glazers out wouldn't be good for the club, or to be an apologist for them. There are two issues here, the ownership and the players attitude. If you can't see where the differences are that's on you. We're all on the same side here, so wind your neck in.

Touched a nerve? See my response above.

Lee565

I've been thinking of it too but that would mean ETH is gone too.
Problem is it has gotten to a point that no matter the manager we won't become competitive/ambitious with the owners still here.

Kaos

None of that explains why this group of players can't muster up any kind of a reasonable level of performance against literally anyone. Never mind performance, the effort has been visible on the pitch. These players are better than what they're showing. We've already seen it from them. Maguire, Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, De Gea, even Martial. But they're clearly not doing their part right now.

It should be obvious that none of that is to say that getting the Glazers out wouldn't be good for the club, or to be an apologist for them. There are two issues here, the ownership and the players attitude. If you can't see where the differences are that's on you. We're all on the same side here, so wind your neck in.

Touched a nerve? See my response above.
Its impossible to detach the two. The players are as they are because they know their position is safe. They know the club like to reward mediocrity by handing out huge contracts left, right and centre. They know they're unlikely to be binned considering the club's very poor track record of binning players. That's on the ownership.

A better run club would have been proactive in replacing the deadwood we have, and have a proper scouting system in place. Look at how ruthless City are with players they deem surplus or not good enough - a lot of those they've binned in recent years would walk into our team. Look at how reluctant Liverpool were in breaking their wage structure with a player as revered as Salah. Meanwhile we have us giving De Gea £375k a week and now we can't offload him, Phil Jones given a new deal to sit in the treatment table, we lost millions on Pogba and Lingard, and now our banker-cum-knobheads running the club are out there struggling to sign the likes of toxic asshats like Rabiot.

The players have been appalling, but their apathy speaks volumes of the situation around the club.

clarkydaz

Purely down to incompetence IMO. Malcolm Glazer at least had some sense and left the running of the club to football people. His idiot children treat the club like a playstation game and they are playing football manager. Some of the stories are unreal. He wouldn't sell Martial cos He was his favourite player? Mourinho knew what he was doing getting rid of that waster. Now I'm reading online that He doesn't want to let Ronaldo go against the advice of another football man (ETH). Glazers out and the sooner the better! Do the right thing Joel. Sell up and go. We despise You!
Anything to do with Ronaldo will be entirely commercial reasoning

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham

The issue is the attitude is set from the top. If the board are indifferent then as long as the players put in the minimum effort they know they can outlast any manager, especially when you've got players like Ronaldo whom the board seem extremely loath wanting to sell despite the fact he clearly wants to leave.

So why should they do more than the min? Because the manager will always be expendable, they sadly are not because the boards total mismangement and lack of desire to pump in the funds required to make the wholesale changes required means they are all sitting on contracts that most probably will never get again in their playing days.

Most of the players are probably just thinking same old same old on a great number of fronts, even if they do want Ten Hag to succeed.

It needs a whole system switch up otherwise it will just continue to stagnate. If the board don't give a toss, why should the players care? Especially when most of them know worst case scenario they can sit there on their 70,150,250k whatever wages for years like your Phil Jones, Lingards, etc.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Don't think Malc was ever involved with the club (or the deal to take over the club) in any capacity, he was just a figurehead.

Joel and Avram have been the co-chairmen since the day the sale went through.

ColvaleGoa

Somewhere there was a tweet that said ,EtH wanted to give the captaincy to Bruno or Ronaldo but was refused by higher ups. Can't find it anywhere but it kind of goes with the narrative that is Manchester United at the moment!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm genuinely starting to believe I will experience a Man Utd relegation in my lifetime. I actually think we're in a dogfight this season and people don't realise.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Instead of wasting time with protests that won't be televised (barring a few disgruntled fans) or doing anything criminal, why doesn't each and every fan pick up the phone and call an investment bank every day to inform them that if they find a buyer for United, the fans would publicly support the new buyer?
Be polite, inform them that United is a listed company, whose data is publicly available and that its not being run well. Make multiple calls a day to different investment banks. It will cost you nothing but your time and the price of a phone call. The transaction fees are paid by the buyer or seller depending on who the banks represent.

Investment bankers are looking for ideas all the time. Imagine if each bank gets a 100 calls a day, for 3-4 months ... there has to be an enterprising banker who can leverage this opportunity (through the wealth management/buyout teams). The media will definitely report on this. As a starting point, you only need to focus on a few banking/wealth management centers:
USA: NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA
Europe: London, Amsterdam, Paris, Zurich, Geneva, Monaco, Dublin, Frankfurt
Asia: Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Mumbai
The best thing about this is that most of the large banks have multiple branches across every city, many who compete within the firm for deals - its a total dog-eat-dog business. You can literally pick one bank and make cold calls to all their branches in a day.

Check your local laws on cold calling. Don't do anything illegal.

Will Singh

what’s wrong with painting?
Nothing wrong with a lick of paint, if they asked me to do it I would do it for free of charge. I’d also climb onto the roof and patch the roof with some bitumen. Seriously have you seen modern stadiums? We’ve been left behind in 1990!

FatTails

Ok relax everyone. I am not saying paint is sufficient, or the glaziers are great, but in and of itself, a lick of paint is not a non-league thing. Luckhurst being a bit dramatic there.

The Irish Connection

Is there any type of petition to be signed for the sports minister to intervene rather than individual fans writing letters. Dont they have to act if we get so many signatures?
I’m an Irish resident so am not sure, but that is a good idea and something worth doing too. I would gladly sign if allowed.

The Irish Connection

Thanks for this. Will adapt something and send. This is a good direct way of highlighting the issue to decision makers. Maybe the Trafford MP would also be a good target.

The protests need to be multifaceted to work and sending eloquently well thought out letters will help offset the (wrongly) perceived unrest from physical protests.
The Trafford MP is a good shout. I have sent her the email as well. Not sure if she will take note as I am overseas, but anyone in the constituency should try it too.

1DeGea1

Am I right to think about it this way; if a parent argued that they were doing a great job at raising a child and pointed to the PS5 and bunch of Nike gear they bought as irrefutable evidence of their competency, would you agree that they were good parents?

They have spent money (United’s own money, mind, and only a fraction of that) but it’s half-hearted and done with a passing interest in what’s happening. Maguire is a great example. Is he the cb we needed? Maybe under Mou, who wanted him a year earlier and played a different style to Ole. But we got him later, when he was more expensive, and when we’d changed managers. Money was spent, but in a distracted, inaccurate manner.

The place where attention is needed is neglected all the time. There’s no substantial football people in the background. There never will be. It’s jobs for Glazer cronies and they ok lazy transfers with the pretence of ‘fixing’ issues, piecemeal, whilst really just creating the veneer of custodianship, to stave off more protests. If they look like they care then they can keep withdrawing their dividends with little fuss.

It’s like pretending you are hard at work and only absent mindedly opening tabs here and there when you think someone is looking. Technically you are giving up your time to be there, but you are just doing the bare minimum to look interested so your boss doesn’t chew you out.

The Irish Connection

Good letter.

Any response yet? And did you find a contact for the FA?
Cheers. No response as of yet.
However, I sent an email to the club last week highlighting the same and included a copy of the fan written letter from Twitter and got this response:

“Dear Shane,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and we appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with your comments.

These comments have been noted and formally documented.

Kind regards,

Ellie”

I found two contacts for the FA but didn’t seem to get anywhere with those:
info@uksport.gov.uk, SGP-Enquiries@thefa.com

If anyone can find a better contact for the FA please post. Although, they did reply to say I should contact the Premier League instead which I have done.