Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

red thru&thru

Hypothetically, if Glazers sell - and that's not clear at all - but if they do, what makes you think that the new ownership will change the fortunes of the team on the field? Whoever it is Saudis or whatever doesn't guarantee the team will be flying.
It gives you a better chance.

jimmyb2000

I for one welcome a Saudi takeover. We'll all be dead soon anyway, and I just want to see United topple Liverpools European cup record before I become worm food. So I'm praying for our Saudi saviours to come along and buy everyone like it's a FM game. If only the Saudis weren't such naughty boys, then we could all be happy. (Someone is bound to take this seriously and give me a lecture about the Saudi regime)
I concur with you on this. My sentiments exactly.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Must be nice to do a shitty job, get paid ridiculous amounts of money for it, and seemingly having some kind of job security to go with it just because you keep speaking of some unfilled potential as if any day now it ll come to fruition.
According to himself he's still just the money man and is still earning the owners a lot of money so he's doing a good job to them.

You do have to wonder who these people are that do all these football decisions that Woody says he takes no part in. Have they been here the whole time making these decisions? Surely he controls who has the power to make these decisions.

Bulldog United

Our recent transfer dealings would make a lot more sense if the intention is to sell. Getting high earners off the wage bill, spending less net, investing in young talent that has an asset resale value; it all helps the balance sheet and increases the maximum sale price you could expect to extract.

It also feels like the right time for them to leave. We’re coming to an end of a cycle, and now there’s talk of massive investment needed in the club to turn its fortunes around. The stadium also requires investment which the current owners have been resisting. And we never did appoint the DoF we were expecting.

It almost feels like big decisions have been put on hold while our current owners negotiate their exit.

red thru&thru

Our recent transfer dealings would make a lot more sense if the intention is to sell. Getting high earners off the wage bill, spending less net, investing in young talent that has an asset resale value; it all helps the balance sheet and increases the maximum sale price you could expect to extract.

It also feels like the right time for them to leave. We’re coming to an end of a cycle, and now there’s talk of massive investment needed in the club to turn its fortunes around. The stadium also requires investment which the current owners have been resisting. And we never did appoint the DoF we were expecting.

It almost feels like big decisions have been put on hold while our current owners negotiate their exit.
I would like to really believe this. It does look like this is a way of selling, especially looking at the poor net spend

BlueHaze

I wish there was an ounce of truth behind this but I think you are wrong. I don't think they'll go anywhere anytime soon and the better question is, who would even be a potential buyer? I'm 90% sure all this Saudi stuff is all made up bs anyway.

Suedesi

If the Saudis buy United it will be a branding exercise for them.
They will invest in the club in a big way.
Fans will forget what these people did/do.

Everyone will be happy...except us long time supporters who will be gone.
Branding exercise for what aim exactly? Is owning Manchester United going to give legitimacy to MBS, or open previously closed doors?

Look at the list of attendees at the Riyadh conference next week, it's really who's who in the world of finance:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6509527-Khashoggi.html

If anything, owning United would be a negative PR exercise for the Saudis.

Last edited:

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Branding exercise for what aim exactly? Is owning Manchester United going to give legitimacy to MBS, or open previously closed doors?

Look at the list of attendees at the Riyadh conference next week, it's really who's who in the world of finance:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6509527-Khashoggi.html

If anything, owning United would be a negative PR exercise for the Saudis.
United are the biggest name in the most popular sport on earth.
Why would it be negative?

Its nothing to do with the business side of things.
They will make money with United of course.
They will be the owners of best supported club on earth.
I suspect the fans are not going to hate them by an large.

Last edited:

Suedesi

United are the biggest name in the most popular sport on earth.
Why would it be negative?

Its nothing to do with the business side of things.
They will make money with United of course.
They will be the owners of best supported club on earth.
I suspect the fans are not going to hate them by an large.
Buying United would generate scrutiny, media exposure, opposition from fan groups and lots of column inches examining and shining a light on KSA unsavory practices.

Short term it would be a disaster PR wise. Just as the world was forgetting about Khashoggi, it will brought up again and again. People with a passing interest in the region will take a closer interest/look and be horrified.

Maybe they can recycle their image using United, but that will take decades.

And maybe they're playing the long game, who knows.

VJ1762

With all that being said, I will believe it when I see it.

The fecking cnuts at the club should atleast try to win another PL for Fergie. Even Sir Matt got to see us lift the PL. It would be a huge shame if Sir Alex passed away without seeing us become champions again.

red thru&thru

Buying United would generate scrutiny, media exposure, opposition from fan groups and lots of column inches examining and shining a light on KSA unsavory practices.

Short term it would be a disaster PR wise. Just as the world was forgetting about Khashoggi, it will brought up again and again. People with a passing interest in the region will take a closer interest/look and be horrified.

This is of course PR. Yes in the short term they would have backlash, but imagine the praise they would get in raising United back to the pinnacle of football. Saudi's are investing heavily into football and owning United would give them a lot of leverage.

rpg

Hypothetically, if Glazers sell - and that's not clear at all - but if they do, what makes you think that the new ownership will change the fortunes of the team on the field? Whoever it is Saudis or whatever doesn't guarantee the team will be flying.
I would take a billionaire who treat Utd as his new toy. At least we might see some success here. We stand little chance of success with owners who only milk the club dry and contend with mediocre league position as long as money keep rolling into their pockets.

wolvored

They could buy the club pay off the debt build a new 100000 seater stadium buy all the best players and next year be richer. Dont they rake in 8 to 10 billion a year in interest just off the money they have?

red thru&thru

But going back to the thread, I'd be pretty confident that if a new person bought United, Ed would be relieved of his duties. This would be a clear indication of the job he's done at the club.

Red Dreams

I predicted the Saudis will be the new owners some time back.

I hope I am wrong as much as I hate the Glazers and want them gone.
To have these murderers own our club will be the end for me. I have had this discussion with current season ticket holders at the Stretty.
Yeah we will all be done.
I don't know what they will do. But you be sure the club will be Manchester United in name only.

Johan07

Yeah, exactly. I dont think the Saudis will be looking at buying United considering that most sportswashing exercises the last 20 years have been disasters.
The Doha Athletics with women journalists not being allowed to were skirts in 40 degrees heat and then no spectators.
The upcoming Qatar WC with all the focus that has been put on workers rights because of it. And if the Qatar WC is anything like the total fiasco that Doha was; thats going to be a lot of billlions down the drain for what would have been a negative PR-exercise instead of what was intended.
There have been rumors of PSGs owners being unhappy with their "investment" as well and that it has rendered more negative publicity than positive for them. And then we have City being found out as the cheaters that they are.
I dont think its gonna happen with the Saudis, and I sincerely hope not. Some of the posts on here advocating it are despicable.

red thru&thru

To have these murderers own our club will be the end for me. I have had this discussion with current season ticket holders at the Stretty.
I don't know what they will do. But you be sure the club will be Manchester United in name only.
Not having a pop at you here, as it's a genuine question, why do you feel this?

arthurka

So ok according to this they can fund Gates with his plan for cheap energy and drinking water, Bezos for whatever reason and Musk to save the world apparently but they can´t save Utd because their money isn´t clean enough. If it´s ok for who´s who in the business world to do business with them then surely the Glazers can too?

Johan07

So ok according to this they can fund Gates with his plan for cheap energy and drinking water, Bezos for whatever reason and Musk to save the world apparently but they can´t save Utd because their money isn´t clean enough. If it´s ok for who´s who in the business world to do business with them then surely the Glazers can too?
Funding and sponsorship is very different from sole ownership.

red thru&thru

Yes, very good point.

Johan07

Yes, very good point.
No, its a terrible point.
Accepting money in sponsorships (which we already do) from the Saudis is one thing and it can be defended on the merits that its actually a good idea to bring the more oppressive Arab countries closer to the West by having some trade with them.
When it goes to far, for example like the NBA now having to bend the knee for the Chinese because they have too much invested over there you crossed a line.
With sole ownership you will have crossed not just a red line but I dont know how many. United would be a vehicle for that oppressive country.
It cannot ever happen.

red thru&thru

No, its a terrible point.
Accepting money in sponsorships (which we already do) from the Saudis is one thing and it can be defended on the merits that its actually a good idea to bring the more oppressive Arab countries closer to the West by having some trade with them.
When it goes to far, for example like the NBA now having to bend the knee for the Chinese because they have too much invested over there you crossed a line.
With sole ownership you will have crossed not just a red line but I dont know how many. United would be a vehicle for that oppressive country.
It cannot ever happen.
To me, MBS is trying to bring his country into the 21st century and he would be using United to aid in this.

But it is intriguing to think what the supporters objecting to the takeover from the Saudi's, how they think the club would be run under their stewardship?!

Also, anything can happen. I did not think Ed would get our club in a position where we'd be fighting relegation but here we are.

Johan07

To me, MBS is trying to bring his country into the 21st century and he would be using United to aid in this.

But it is intriguing to think what the supporters objecting to the takeover from the Saudi's, how they think the club would be run under their stewardship?!
Did you just write that? He just had a journalist killed and dismembered in another country. 21st century? Wtf? Now the sheik is some form of advocate for a new society?
This is top three of the stupidest posts I have ever read on the Caf.
And I dont care how the club would be run under their "tyranny", because I will not support the club anymore if that happens.

red thru&thru

Did you just write that? He just had a journalist killed and dismembered in another country. 21st century? Wtf? Now the sheik is some form of advocate for a new society?
This is top three of the stupidest posts I have ever read on the Caf.
And I dont care how the club would be run under their "tyranny", because I will not support the club anymore if that happens.
You seem very angry, for your own mental health, I suggest you take a break from this thread. It is really concerning to read such a posters replies.

ps, he has allowed women to drive and concerts are now being held in the country. Baby steps but steps forward non the less!

clarkydaz

Many will say we are now

Suedesi

Interesting piece from Axios:

Saudi Arabia hasn't yet announced speakers for its giant investment conference, even though it begins next Tuesday, but Axios' Felix Salmon obtained a draft program.

• It includes several high-profile investors and bankers who had originally agreed to be part of last year's event, but who then bailed in the aftermath of Jamal Khashoggi's murder.
  • For example: The Blackstone Group CEO Steve Schwarzman, BlackRock CEO Larry Fink, SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son, Standard Chartered CEO Bill Winters, and Credit Suisse CEO Tidjane Thiam.
  • As we've previously discussed, nothing substantive has changed over the past year with respect to Khashoggi.
  • Then there's Bloomberg News, which inexplicably agreed to put several of its reporters on stage as moderators, before pulling the plug at the last minute (possibly as late as yesterday, after Felix called them about it).
This isn't any ordinary billionaires convention. It's organized by the Saudi government, for the purpose of increasing its visibility and centrality among global investors.

Speaking at Davos in the Desert is validation for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. A mulligan for murder. Not at all the same as Switzerland's role in the World Economic Forum, for example, nor even standing on the Riyadh sidelines to meet up with regional contacts. When Saudi Arabia wants to promote its business interests, expect it use photos of Larry Fink sitting on its stage.

When asked for what caused their change of heart between 2018 and 2019, reps for Steve Schwarzman and Masa Son sent back "no comment."

But don't worry. Their presence next week will say much more than a carefully-worded press statement ever could.

Red Dreams

Not having a pop at you here, as it's a genuine question, why do you feel this?
Its one thing being owned by business people who don't give a damn about the football club.
Its another being owned by murderers who think they can whitewash their crimes/blood with money.

It goes to the heart of what this club is about.
It was built by the community which went through so much and built a club whose call went out to the world and harvested all those souls.
Its not the manager or team. Its the supporters who built the club.

Someone else above said we already are only Manchester United in name only.
Perhaps he is right.
But the Saudis will be the final nail for me.

arthurka

Look they don't need Man United to sportswash, they've got the biggest hitters in finance bending the knee.
Exactly buy Utd will have zero impact on them, they are already in bed with all the big hitters of the game.

red thru&thru

Its one thing being owned by business people who don't give a damn about the football club.
Its another being owned by murderers who think they can whitewash their crimes/blood with money.

It goes to the heart of what this club is about.
It was built by the community which went through so much and built a club whose call went out to the world and harvested all those souls.
Its not the manager or team. Its the supporters who built the club.

Someone else above said we already are only Manchester United in name only.
Perhaps he is right.
But the Saudis will be the final nail for me.
Personally, we have not been what you have just mentioned, for a very long time. What you have wrote is a beautiful back story but like any other top flight club, the values of their club will be no longer what they were, when they were first formed.

Fahad Jawaid

I actually hate glazere and their ties with Israel, therefore how much different it is going to be actually with Saudi owners. The current owners have the blood of Palestine children on their hands anyway and we stilk support the club.

Plus they have not only bought us through debt and then putting thay debt on us and paying themselves huge dividends. Now their investment in the squad has also reduced aswell. They have dismantled our beautiful club into the most pathetic ran club.

I want manchester united to be the same as before competing for best players and managers and watching attractive football. Hopefully saudi takes over and make us competitive again.

Andy_Cole

I actually hate glazere and their ties with Israel, therefore how much different it is going to be actually with Saudi owners. The current owners have the blood of Palestine children on their hands anyway and we stilk support the club.

Plus they have not only bought us through debt and then putting thay debt on us and paying themselves huge dividends. Now their investment in the squad has also reduced aswell. They have dismantled our beautiful club into the most pathetic ran club.

I want manchester united to be the same as before competing for best players and managers and watching attractive football. Hopefully saudi takes over and make us competitive again.
This.