Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

MAGARed

As an American, and a fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, I can tell you that the incompetence of the Glazer brothers is not limited to Man Utd. The Buccaneers have fallen apart since their father Malcolm fell ill in 2006 and the sons took full control. To wit:

- 73-131 record. A W-L% of 0.357. Which actually lowered the Bucs even further as the all-time worst in this stat. Literally the worst era for traditionally the worst team in NFL history.
- Fired super bowl championship winning head coach Jon Gruden because “none of the players liked him.”
- Hired and fired Head coaches Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano, Lovie Smith, Dirk Koetter within 12 years. None of which ever had HC positions again on other teams.
- First place in division 1x, last place 8x.
- ZERO playoff wins.
- Rebranded and have worst kits in NFL.
- Have has more MRSA outbreaks than any other NFL team. Have dirty facilities.

The NFL is purposefully designed for teams to not stay bad very long, yet the Glazers have led a horrendous team for 12 years now. And to make it worse, they have no money left to spend on players in the salary cap system.

I know futbol fans have deeper connections to their clubs than we Americans do, so I can only imagine how this feels for you lot. But I highly implore you to do what is necessary to rid yourself of the plight known as the Glazers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Christ, not this again. The Glazers have sunk 770M into this abyss of a club with nothing more than a league cup, fa cup and Europa league to show for it since Fergie left, they're not ideal owners but we could do a lot worse.
Yeah no matter how much the club spends people act like the Glazers have been penny pinching. There is a lot wrong with their ownership but, you can not really say that they have not spend on transfers.

Saffron

Woodward is a business genius.
Based on what?

Manchester United were a bigger financial powerhouse before Woodward, relatively speaking. We had the highest revenue in the world for years and years.

When the Glazers took over, Manchester United were number 1 on the Deloitte money list with Liverpool’s revenue being roughly 50% of ours. Now we’re third and Liverpool are earning nearly 80% of what we do. How is that progress?

Of the 10 top clubs on the 2005 Deloitte money list, every single non-Italian club (because of Calciopoli) have increased their revenue by more than us.

Bayern are at 94% of our revenue. This Woodward genius myth needs to die. He inherited the most valuable football brand in the world and didn’t advance it relative to our competitors.

Champagne Football

5 years ago. We did exactly that.

Depay, blind, rojo, with senior star bfs and di maria. Same tune in promoting our youngster fosu mensah etc.

They all turned out to be crocks.
That was done with a manager who is stuck in 1995, and who hadn't done anything in the club game in about 20 years.

At least with Ole we're getting a Fergie apprentice who will be given all the secrets of what made us win for 20 years.

Tapori

As an American, and a fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, I can tell you that the incompetence of the Glazer brothers is not limited to Man Utd. The Buccaneers have fallen apart since their father Malcolm fell ill in 2006 and the sons took full control. To wit:

- 73-131 record. A W-L% of 0.357. Which actually lowered the Bucs even further as the all-time worst in this stat. Literally the worst era for traditionally the worst team in NFL history.
- Fired super bowl championship winning head coach Jon Gruden because “none of the players liked him.”
- Hired and fired Head coaches Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano, Lovie Smith, Dirk Koetter within 12 years. None of which ever had HC positions again on other teams.
- ZERO playoff wins.

The NFL is purposefully designed for teams to not stay bad very long, yet the Glazers have led a horrendous team for 12 years now. And to make it worse, they have no money left to spend on players in the salary cap system.

I know futbol fans have deeper connections to their clubs than we Americans do, so I can only imagine how this feels for you lot. But I highly implore you to do what is necessary to rid yourself of the plight known as the Glazers.
Thank you.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Glazers aren’t going anywhere, but Woody can feck right off. Surely the Glazers can see at some point very soon, he’s going to hurt them where they care about most, their bottom line.

Man of Leisure

- ZERO playoff wins.

Stupid post. NFL has a salary cap.

Bojan11

Glazers aren’t going anywhere, but Woody can feck right off. Surely the Glazers can see at some point very soon, he’s going to hurt them where they care about most, their bottom line.
Whys he going to hurt Stone Cold? More importantly what does Stone Cold have to do with Glazers?

MAGARed

Stupid post. NFL has a salary cap.
How is it stupid? The salary cap doesn’t force them to make terrible head coaching hires and terrible GM (Director) hires. That’s on them.

And the salary cap adds a cyclical nature to the league so it actually makes them look worse. Being very good or very bad for more than a few years is difficult. They’re going on 13 years of bad.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
What’s the issue here? They’ve invested plenty and apparently always given the manager what they wanted (including Sanchez massive wages) up until last season when Mourinho was requesting players that the recruitment team felt were substandard (and I expect by which team they could see Mourinho was coming to the end of his reign).

Don’t like either Woodward or the glazers and do think we need a better recruitment structure but can’t see any reason why they should consider leaving the club at this stage-what am I missing?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We are a disgrace from top to bottom.
Just sell the fecking club ffs!

Fluctuation0161

Christ, not this again. The Glazers have sunk 770M into this abyss of a club with nothing more than a league cup, fa cup and Europa league to show for it since Fergie left, they're not ideal owners but we could do a lot worse.
They've sunk nothing into this club. Absolutely zero. None of their own money.

Renegade81

Aww poor Glazers. How much debt have they saddled to our great club? Better yet how much have they siphoned out of our great club in that time. feck them. The reason we have had to spend so much in the last 6 years is because in SAF's latter years they refused to. Their reluctance to acquire a DOF who could steer our sporting direction and ambitions to truly make us "The biggest club in the world" and not the biggest marketable club is the very reason we are where we are imo.

The obvious content and satifaction to have Ed 'we can buy a suarez a season-watch this space' Woodward leading the clubs sporting direction, is exactly why we are in this mess. No contingency plans after SAF, Moyes, LVG or Mourinho tells you all you need to know about those running our club. Mistake after mistake and yet here we are. It all leads back to them in the end.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
What’s the issue here? They’ve invested plenty and apparently always given the manager what they wanted (including Sanchez massive wages) up until last season when Mourinho was requesting players that the recruitment team felt were substandard (and I expect by which team they could see Mourinho was coming to the end of his reign).

Don’t like either Woodward or the glazers and do think we need a better recruitment structure but can’t see any reason why they should consider leaving the club at this stage-what am I missing?
Yeah unless we somehow have the club be supporter owner whichever owners who come in would no be any better. There are no good billionaires out there.

Tarrou

I'm not sure how bad it needs to get for some people to turn on the Glazers

they've been a complete disaster for this club

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Aww poor Glazers. How much debt have they saddled to our great club? Better yet how much have they siphoned out of our great club in that time. feck them. The reason we have had to spend so much in the last 6 years is because in SAF's latter years they refused to. Their reluctance to acquire a DOF who could steer our sporting direction and ambitions to truly make us "The biggest club in the world" and not the biggest marketable club is the very reason we are where we are imo.

The obvious content and satifaction to have Ed 'we can buy a suarez a season-watch this space' Woodward leading the clubs sporting direction, is exactly why we are in this mess. No contingency plans after SAF, Moyes, LVG or Mourinho tells you all you need to know about those running our club. Mistake after mistake and yet here we are. It all leads back to them in the end.
There are more than half a dozen people who work as board of directors and they all have a say. Its not like the owners won't make a change if half of them, football men stand up and say the current modus operandi isn't working, we need a different structure at the club to be more successful.

soapythecat

As much as I hate the Glazers ownership, we can’t argue against how much we have spent on players and wages for little return. Yes, we could spend more but ultimately we have been really, really badly managed in team management and player recruitment.
That is on Woodward and he alone.
His latest puppet is potentially his worst decision.

Fluctuation0161

As much as I hate the Glazers ownership, we can’t argue against how much we have spent on players and wages for little return. Yes, we could spend more but ultimately we have been really, really badly managed in team management and player recruitment.
I disagree. If you look at the level of investment when their debt was at its highest 2005-2013 you can see the long term damage started in that period. This is when the rot started.

Post 2013 they have invested, too little too late. Player transfer costs and wages have inflated massively. The damage had been done before then.

Speedicut75

Perhaps we have to shelve our quixotic ideals and invite the Saudis on board? Nothing will change while Ed & Co control the direction of the club and the Glazers have no insight, or competency, where football is concerned; the bottom line is paramount at present and wjhile Woodward keeps pooping out golden eggs in all things off-field related, there is no urgency to do jack shit about what ails the club at a fundamental level.

MAGARed

Again, it all trickles from the top down. Ownership hires executives, executives hire managers. Executives work with whoever to make signings of players and managers. Performance, good or bad, ultimately falls on ownership.

Speedicut75

- ZERO playoff wins.

Interesting read.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Perhaps we have to shelve our quixotic ideals and invite the Saudis on board? Nothing will change while Ed & Co control the direction of the club and the Glazers have no insight, or competency, where football is concerned; the bottom line is paramount at present and wjhile Woodward keeps pooping out golden eggs in all things off-field related, there is no urgency to do jack shit about what ails the club at a fundamental level.
How do we ‘invite’ the Saudis on board?
If I don’t want to sell, I don’t speak to a buyer, end of...

Man of Leisure

I disagree. If you look at the level of investment when their debt was at its highest 2005-2013 you can see the long term damage started in that period. This is when the rot started.

Post 2013 they have invested, too little too late. Player transfer costs and wages have inflated massively. The damage had been done before then.
Yet this somehow hasn’t affected Liverpool.

Tarrou

Surely the buck stops with the owners when they are the ones leaving him in this position to screw everything up?

Roboc7

It’s still shocking Woodward has survived, he’s costing the owners millions in wasted money, wages have gotten out of control the value of club is suffering.

The Glazer family money and success came from Malcolm Glazer not this lot, I keep seeing them referred to as successful businessmen but their just lining their pockets thanks to their Father.

They can’t be that savvy to be letting it get this bad, a decent football structure would make and save them money irrespective of having any actual desire to compete.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
We have to face it the Glazers arn't going anywhere, and neither is Woodward while he keeps making them so much money.

To be honest I don't want Woodward out, he may be the best in the business and getting commercial deals, and we really need that money if we want to rebuild.

I just want some one to take over the running of the football side of the club, which is a mess in every way possible and Woodward clearly isn't up to the job.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yet this somehow hasn’t affected Liverpool.
They haven’t won the title in 30 years which is a longer period than ours pre SAF.
Gillette and Hicks battle prevented Rafa from really building a side to win
The PL. You simply can’t say it hasn’t affected them

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yep! The responsible thing to do would be to appoint someone like Van der Sar as the CEO (while United would be a much bigger challenge because of the sheer dimension of the organisation, he has experience in the same position at Ajax, is a football-man on top of being a qualified administrator and obviously has previous with the club), but I'm afraid we'll have to make do with Woodward for the foreseeable future because he reportedly played a significant role in the leveraged buyout of the club as an adviser/confidant (bringing him in the owners' good graces), and is consequently the on-site representative of the family (and their authority). Sacking (or demoting) Woodward would be as discomforting/complicated for the Glazers as a mafia-family cutting ties with its consigliere (who is supposed to be their foremost ally and a trusted keeper-of-secrets).

Fosu-Mens

It’s still shocking Woodward has survived, he’s costing the owners millions in wasted money, wages have gotten out of control the value of club is suffering.

The Glazer family money and success came from Malcolm Glazer not this lot, I keep seeing them referred to as successful businessmen but their just lining their pockets thanks to their Father.

They can’t be that savvy to be letting it get this bad, a decent football structure would make and save them money irrespective of having any actual desire to compete.
Yesyesyes, but not usually the style of traditional american sportteam owners. Glazers seems to get involved in decisions they have no competence with at Tampa Bucc, and i think the same is the case for us.

Speedicut75

How do we ‘invite’ the Saudis on board?
If I don’t want to sell, I don’t speak to a buyer, end of...
You're not wrong. I struggle with the whole idea of proxy ownership in this regard, especially where money is concerned, and that has to be the only motivating factor that concern the Glazrs; so why they persist, in association with our club has, has to be considered in respect of potential valuation. How much the club is worth has to be the pertinent metric here, but just what profit they intend to realize is beyond me.
I have no idea what will eventually provide the impetus for them to sell but I struggle to understand what incentive they need to be more malleable?

C'est Moi Cantona

Not sure how you force someone to sell their house if they don't want to move, even more so if they overprice it, and there aren't any buyers.

As for Woody he is the reason they got the house in the first place, so he's going nowhere unless he wants to.

Roboc7

Yesyesyes, but not usually the style of traditional american sportteam owners. Glazers seems to get involved in decisions they have no competence with at Tampa Bucc, and i think the same is the case for us.
Yeah the Buccaneers have Licht effectively doing the Woodward role (although it’s a different position) failing repeatedly and yet continuing to make decisions. If the Glazers were competent money grabbers we’d be better off but their proving in the NFL and the Premier League that they clearly aren’t.

Their Dad was the driving force, their made for life and being involved in sport is maybe more interesting to them than property and whatever else their business is.