Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
This is clear since they took over. A fecking virus that kills this football club.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Owners are always bad it is just usually the managers and recruitment staff covers for their shortcomings.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Stupid post. NFL has a salary cap.
What does that have to do with Tampa being a terribly run club??? If anything, it supports his point even more. The fact that tampa has sucked this long with a salary cap demonstrates how bad they are at hiring head coaches and player evaluation since they’re all spending the same amount of money.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I agree. A happy day would be the day we see the back of these leeches and their lackey.

Eddy_JukeZ

We are going nowhere with the Glazers being owners and them giving Woodward full power.

They've destroyed SAF's work over the past 6 years with their shambolic running of the club.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Since losing Fergie, their failure to understand football has been badly exposed. I doubt they currently have a short term plan to change our course, let alone a long term one.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I disagree. If you look at the level of investment when their debt was at its highest 2005-2013 you can see the long term damage started in that period. This is when the rot started.

Post 2013 they have invested, too little too late. Player transfer costs and wages have inflated massively. The damage had been done before then.
This is actually what it is. We’ve invested a lot since but too little too late. We totally missed out on the last 2 generations of great players more or less and Fergie covered over the cracks.

Renegade81

Based on what?

Manchester United were a bigger financial powerhouse before Woodward, relatively speaking. We had the highest revenue in the world for years and years.

When the Glazers took over, Manchester United were number 1 on the Deloitte money list with Liverpool’s revenue being roughly 50% of ours. Now we’re third and Liverpool are earning nearly 80% of what we do. How is that progress?

Of the 10 top clubs on the 2005 Deloitte money list, every single non-Italian club (because of Calciopoli) have increased their revenue by more than us.

Bayern are at 94% of our revenue. This Woodward genius myth needs to die. He inherited the most valuable football brand in the world and didn’t advance it relative to our competitors.
Bingo!

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
We are going nowhere with the Glazers being owners and them giving Woodward full power.

They've destroyed SAF's work over the past 6 years with their shambolic running of the club.
I haven't read through this thread and it may have been asked and answered, but can it not be said that the Glazer's have put up some serious money to progress the club? We are pretty close to city in net spend after all. Woodward can feck right off as any other chairman in another business would have been sacked ages ago based on this sort of performance, but the money has been there to spend.

Eddy_JukeZ

I haven't read through this thread and it may have been asked and answered, but can it not be said that the Glazer's have put up some serious money to progress the club? We are pretty close to city in net spend after all. Woodward can feck right off as any other chairman in another business would have been sacked ages ago based on this sort of performance, but the money has been there to spend.
My issue is with them persisting with Woodward having power over footballing matters.

They only care about the commercial/sponsorship side of things clearly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They've not put any money in. The money that has been spent has been money the club has made. They have taken 1 Billion out of the club. Not put a penny in.

We need them out. ASAP. But not at any cost, not to replace them with the Saudis, that would be an escalation of this tragedy and ultimately ruin the spirit of this club.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Mods, can this be a poll?

That would help put this in the press.

Bojan11

Net spend means feck all when most of our players retired or left for nothing.

How much did we get for Rooney, RVP, Rio, Evra, Fletcher, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Vidic etc.

Of course they had to spend. But this spending should have been done way before some of these guys were in their mid 30s.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Net spend means feck all when most of our players retired or left for nothing.

How much did we get for Rooney, RVP, Rio, Evra, Fletcher, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Vidic etc.

Of course they had to spend. But this spending should have been done way before some of these guys were in their mid 30s.
All fair points. But we have spent a hell of a lot of money since Fergie; we've just spent it very badly with no direction.

Bojan11

All fair points. But we have spent a hell of a lot of money since Fergie; we've just spent it very badly with no direction.
I agree we spent the money badly. But this what happens when you hire managers willy wally and tell them they can sign whoever they like whilst having nobody with real football knowledge leading the football section of the club.

bdecuc

The Glazers are parasites. Can’t say it plainer than that. I'd be very surprised if we make it back to anywhere near the top with the present ownership and senior management structure.

Roboc7

Exactly so as well as being parasites they are also incompetent, impossible to even think about competing with that combination.

hn4manunited

I am of the opinion that the Glazers are fine as owners, there is money while not 100% sufficient, there is money to spend. The main problem is Ed. It is mismanagement of spending on the footballing side. If he can solely focus on the commercial side, let someone else run the footballing side, that would be ideal. If he can’t delegate those responsibilities, he needs to go.

Member 93275

You guys make him out to be the boogeyman but, Woodward is just the dude who writes the checks. And only Ajax have a former Footballer in a similar role.
You're forgetting one club, the one which Cruyff always mentioned as a working example when he set up this structure at Ajax. Bayern Munich.

Class of '92 should have been ruling United. Various have been entrepreneurs after their playing career, in football and beyond. They were ready, it would have been perfect. Alas, United has a private controlling interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

hn4manunited

They've not put any money in. The money that has been spent has been money the club has made. They have taken 1 Billion out of the club. Not put a penny in.

We need them out. ASAP. But not at any cost, not to replace them with the Saudis, that would be an escalation of this tragedy and ultimately ruin the spirit of this club.
Hate to break it to you, mate. Unfortunately, that’s how businesses work. The fact that they are allowing us to spend the money we made is putting money back in the club. No business owners who are wanting to run a sustainable business put their own money in year in year out. There might be a few like Roman, etc. but most run it like what a business is. It has to be sustainable which means you spend part of what you make or spend all of what you make. The business goes into financial issues if they spend more than what they make.

Mal donaghy

Fans are too busy taking pictures and making "X can i have your shirt?" signs for their kids so they can sell it on e-bay to give a shite.
Absolutely this, the real fans have been priced out by the exact cnuts that are destroying us.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
You're forgetting one club, the one which Cruyff always mentioned as a working example when he set up this structure at Ajax. Bayern Munich.

Class of '92 should have been ruling United. Various have been entrepreneurs after their playing career, in football and beyond. They were ready, it would have been perfect. Alas, United has a private controlling interest.
Fair point Hoeneß is the president with Rummenigge as the CEO. But, Bayern's supporters opinions on them varies.

Fluctuation0161

Hate to break it to you, mate. Unfortunately, that’s how businesses work. The fact that they are allowing us to spend the money we made is putting money back in the club. No business owners who are wanting to run a sustainable business put their own money in year in year out. There might be a few like Roman, etc. but most run it like what a business is. It has to be sustainable which means you spend part of what you make or spend all of what you make. The business goes into financial issues if they spend more than what they make.
That is not how all businesses work. That's why the take over was so controversial at the time. The debt on the club had to be reduced. Otherwise this money could've been spent on players.

The lack of understanding on this is probably how they've got away with it without an even larger uproar.

Infra-red

Having a good moan can be cathartic, but people must realise that there is absolutely no prospect of either the Glazers or Woodward departing the club. In fact all indications are that they are fully entrenched in their positions.

Fluctuation0161

Guaranteed article in the papers within the next few days regarding us hiring a director of football, now that fans are carrying their gaze their way again. Seems to be their go-to move to pacify our supporters.
Yep. You can bet on it.

hn4manunited

That is not how all businesses work. That's why the take over was so controversial at the time. The debt on the club had to be reduced. Otherwise this money could've been spent on players.

The lack of understanding on this is probably how they've got away with it without an even larger uproar.
That is not how “all” businesses work but most.

Flytan

If you don't like Ole being in charge, don't turn on Ole. Turn on Woodward for appointing him.
Unless whoever replaces Woodward also replaces his awful hire, what would be that point? You can realize both are ass and oppose both.

Trophy Room

No other big club would tolerate such consistent garbage unless the entire leadership and hierarchy is rotten. feck knows where one starts to clean this mess. Next season is going to be even worse.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Having a good moan can be cathartic, but people must realise that there is absolutely no prospect of either the Glazers or Woodward departing the club. In fact all indications are that they are fully entrenched in their positions.
Not sure that's true. I suspect they will sell eventually. The value of their asset is diminishing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You know that I know, and everyone else, that that's how their business model works. But that's not how you run an elite football club. It's how you drain a brand.

Anyhow, my point was quite simply that they've not spent in any fashion that should earn them any praise. They've taken a billion out, that should be the first thing anyone thinks about. And the money the club has generated that they've allowed to be spent, has been spent by a turd of a man who has no clue, but is ultimately, one of them.

Matthew1972

The one constant in this 6 year run of mediocrity is Woodward. Why he is not held accountable is beyond me. I didn't watch today's game because losing last week (a draw is a loss under the circumstances) was the low point of the post-Ferguson era. This team is the new Liverpool (no titles for years).

Yakuza_devils

When the green and gold protest of Glazers take over they were ridiculed by own man utd fans. Now people start to understand how bad is Glazers leveraged takeover. Basically, Glazers didn't put in any of their money but keep taking money out from the club. In the process also earning them billions of dollars.

The Glazers are also no football man at all and put in a team of top management with zero football knowledge to run the world biggest football club.

MrBest

That is BS, they have more than doubled revenue, and we have spent the second highest on players after City on 5 years (maybe third). Top 5 or 6 globally. We have the highest wage bill in the league, paid a hell of a lot for sacked managers. The issue with the Glazers is not investment, it is poor football structure and very bad and rash decisions. How Ed is in charge right now is a joke. How we hired ole before the end of the season after the board vowed to wait till the end of the season was a joke. No director of finance yet. Every clubs needs stability and we do not have a single foundation in place. You cannot build a house without foundation, how can you build a business? Im happy for Glazers to stay but leave the football to people who no what they are doing. People are too emotional about them.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That is BS, they have more than doubled revenue, and we have spent the second highest on players after City on 5 years (maybe third). Top 5 or 6 globally. We have the highest wage bill in the league, paid a hell of a lot for sacked managers. The issue with the Glazers is not investment, it is poor football structure and very bad and rash decisions. How Ed is in charge right now is a joke. How we hired ole before the end of the season after the board vowed to wait till the end of the season was a joke. No director of finance yet. Every clubs needs stability and we do not have a single foundation in place. You cannot build a house without foundation, how can you build a business? Im happy for Glazers to stay but leave the football to people who no what they are doing. People are too emotional about them.
Maybe read again what I wrote. Football has exploded in recent years, money has increased massively, social media is huge, all of which contributes to our earnings. I don't think it takes a marketing genius to whore out our club to every possible brand sponsor. The money is generated by the club. If we had owners who wanted footballing success, we'd have footballing success.

You go on to say you're happy for the Glazers to stay, but you cannot understand how Woodward is in charge. I'll tell you: because the Glazers obviously want him in charge.

edit: btw, I'm not saying money has not been spent. But money has been spent recklessly by completely incompetent people. And the more money that's been spent, the worse off we've been. With a host of average players on huge contracts. A cash cow for mediocrity.