Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

arthurka

Hard to argue against this

Why is that?
He is a manager and surely you must see that for him to successful he will need all the support he can get.
Of course he wants the fans to support the team.

This is on Fergie I am afraid he could´ve made life a living hell for the Glazers and had the stature to do so.
Ole is just trying to get this team competitive with what help can be offered.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I'm not sure what he thinks Ole should do? Embarass the bored and get fired and possibly sued? There are people with the power and pull to make the management feel some heat, and they are doing absolutely nothing. The fans barely do anything, they've been enabled to run the club as they please.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm not sure what he thinks Ole should do? Embarass the bored and get fired and possibly sued? There are people with the power and pull to make the management feel some heat, and they are doing absolutely nothing. The fans barely do anything, they've been enabled to run the club as they please.
I can't stress how moronic a view it is that Ole should come out swinging for his employer. Imagine the contract he is under, you can be certain it has a clause preventing him criticising the board and ownership for one.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ole surely is not the problem for not speaking out, he just cant. The fans actually have the power to change aomething, what do they do?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
What’s that got to do with my point?

You’re arguing a different point entirely and are stating something obvious which nobody on this forum disputes
The point is that they sanction spending but not enough for the size of the club and not from their own money. And they largely restrict spending to players with good resale value (young) or free transfers (old) , mostly avoiding the 27-30 peak age where there is little return. And to ensure that remains the case they have an accountant calling the shots, not a director of football. So bad football decisions are made, but good financial ones for them.

glazed

I can't stress how moronic a view it is that Ole should come out swinging for his employer. Imagine the contract he is under, you can be certain it has a clause preventing him criticising the board and ownership for one.
Ole has sold his reputation to the Glazers in return for a job he doesn't really have the qualifications for. It's not what he should do that is in question - he is a hired hand. The question is whether we should respect him for it.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ole has sold his reputation to the Glazers in return for a job he doesn't really have the qualifications for. It's not what he should do that is in question - he is a hired hand. The question is whether we should respect him for it.
if it’s not Ole here failing it’ll be another manager who cares less about the club and the fans will be all over them and it’s entirely possible Ed Matt the board and the owners would get yet another pass for their shoddy work. Ole is at least shining a light on the shit every other manager has had to deal with since Fergie. These guys are absolute idiots. I hope the fans can appreciate that on top of the sporting challenge he’s trying to turn around a giant organisation with the owners basically providing another obstacle. It’s currently a really tricky job for anyone. At least Ole can help change it bit by bit on the inside.

glazed

Ole is at least shining a light on the shit every other manager has had to deal with since Fergie.
He really isn't. Compared to the way Jose threw his toys out the pram when denied new signing. Ole is just as meek as a lamb.

Glorio

How about a structured convo focused on solutions regarding how we can get rid?

I don't know if it's worth a new specific thread or if one exists already as I'm relatively new in these parts, but we should have a thread to brainstorm ways of kicking the Glazers out.

No moaning, we know there's a problem:
Just workable suggestions and ideas.

We have loads of fans all over the world, some very bright people, some very influential people, and this is apparently the biggest fan board around.

Surely if we have a focused series of brainstorms and conversations, we can come up with a viable plan to boot a handful of people who have been draining the club of the will to live over the last 15 years or so without destroying the club in the process?

I'm not talking about protests by the way, something operable - an actual project should be born from it.

jackal&hyde

Ole surely is not the problem for not speaking out, he just cant. The fans actually have the power to change aomething, what do they do?
SAF did not either. People that love the club will do what is in the clubs interest. It's normal.

What fecking power do the fans have? The ones that are talking the most are not even willing to stop going to the games. Talk crap on social media and youtube channels while they are obedient season ticket holders.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Who decided that we are good enough to not get DOF? Sir Alex will not work anymore. Why can't we see that?

stubie

They should have not. Since then, the club's value has increased a lot (the rumours were that Qatari were offering 1B or so, now the club's value is over 3B).

Corona point is a good one though. At February-March, the stock's price was 20, now it is less than 15USD. It has lost more than 25% of its value.
That’s a fair point, however at the time (2011) they could have taken the money and run before Fergie retired whilst doubling there money without any investment.

The way the club is decaying it would require billions to purchase the club, restructure the club and redevelop Old Trafford.

Sadly I see no one coming forward with that level of investment

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How about a structured convo focused on solutions regarding how we can get rid?

I don't know if it's worth a new specific thread or if one exists already as I'm relatively new in these parts, but we should have a thread to brainstorm ways of kicking the Glazers out.

No moaning, we know there's a problem:
Just workable suggestions and ideas.

We have loads of fans all over the world, some very bright people, some very influential people, and this is apparently the biggest fan board around.

Surely if we have a focused series of brainstorms and conversations, we can come up with a viable plan to boot a handful of people who have been draining the club of the will to live over the last 15 years or so without destroying the club in the process?

I'm not talking about protests by the way, something operable - an actual project should be born from it.
I’m with you all the way. Feel like every other thread should be locked and this should be our one and only discussion - how to get these parasites out.

Paxi

Come on you baldy prick: buy us, 4bn is pocket change to you.

jackal&hyde

I’m with you all the way. Feel like every other thread should be locked and this should be our one and only discussion - how to get these parasites out.
It's been done for 15 years mate. It can not be done unless you can make an offer big enough that they accept. Happen to have 5 bil in your pocket?

Paxi

It's been done for 15 years mate. It can not be done unless you can make an offer big enough that they accept. Happen to have 5 bil in your pocket?
I’m talking about efforts into boycott and gathering a large enough momentum. At least start something again to what was a decent effort in 2010. They won’t have Fergie to dig them out of the hole this time.

diarm

At least they are being mocked by journalists now

As delighted as I am to see journalists finally calling Ed and his mates out on their incompetence, I'm not sure this particular example is the best one to use. If we end up getting £27m for Pereira, they will point at that 4 year deal as good business.

glazed

Jose threw in the towel and pulled the place apart. All he needed to do is do what Ole is doing. He leaving the ball in Ed’s court.
Ed is quite happy with that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
SAF did not either. People that love the club will do what is in the clubs interest. It's normal.

What fecking power do the fans have? The ones that are talking the most are not even willing to stop going to the games. Talk crap on social media and youtube channels while they are obedient season ticket holders.
Hemce nothing will change. The management know there will be some rough 2 weeks but then it will focus on football matters, they collect the money and thats it

liamp

Well, you could hire someone to try to Donald Sterling them.

Short of that or going to the John Wick assassin hotel with help wanted sign, there's literally no point of having this discussion. The club is worth nearly $4 billion...this is a game that's played way above the level of any size group of supporters at this point.

glazed

I’m talking about efforts into boycott and gathering a large enough momentum. At least start something again to what was a decent effort in 2010. They won’t have Fergie to dig them out of the hole this time.
This is the only thing to do. As long as the Glazers are pulling millions out of the club and it's increasing in value, why would they think of selling. The taps have to be turned off. And now is the perfect time to do it. Covid has done half the work for us by emptying the stadium.

glazed

Well, you could hire someone to try to Donald Sterling them.

Short of that or going to the John Wick assassin hotel with help wanted sign, there's literally no point of having this discussion. The club is worth nearly $4 billion...this is a game that's played way above the level of any size group of supporters at this point.
It's worth that much because fans.

RedDevil@84

Jose threw in the towel and pulled the place apart. All he needed to do is do what Ole is doing. He leaving the ball in Ed’s court.
That's what Mourinho did too. He kept saying it was Woodward's job to complete transfers for ages, until it became untenable. He went bonkers when he was convinced that Woodward and the bosses are purposefully sabotaging the club. So he did what he always does. Make the situation untenable for the bosses and get kicked out. It is also attractive that you get a fat paycheck when you are kicked out.

Lentwood

The point is that they sanction spending but not enough for the size of the club and not from their own money. And they largely restrict spending to players with good resale value (young) or free transfers (old) , mostly avoiding the 27-30 peak age where there is little return. And to ensure that remains the case they have an accountant calling the shots, not a director of football. So bad football decisions are made, but good financial ones for them.
What do you classify as 'enough'? Would you not argue that more than Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, Chelsea, Barcelona, Tottenham and Arsenal is "enough"?

Also, you will see that very few clubs now want to sign players in that 27+ age band...football is increasingly a young man's game and sports scientists are able to show how the vast, vast majority of players show steep physical decline around 28/29 onwards. Watch the Amazon Prime documentary on Spurs as just one example...Jose is talking about the difficulty in getting a buyer for Danny Rose and highlights one club (think it was Newcastle) who have an u25s only policy on transfers.

When did City, Liverpool, Barcelona, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid last pay significant money for a player over 25/26?

Yes I agree on the last point, we need a Director of Football. That's nothing to do with the Glazers though.

Roboc7

Unless fans decide to leave Old Trafford empty post Covid, the Glazers aren’t going anywhere, they are too greedy and this is all to easy for them.

Given how much money has been wasted and how poorly we’ve done since Woodward took over your expect him to at least be on borrowed time. For what ever reason he seems immune from such scrutiny so there’s years more of this to come.

jackal&hyde

I know what you mean. They will change the manager. And change again.
Hemce nothing will change. The management know there will be some rough 2 weeks but then it will focus on football matters, they collect the money and thats it
They should do as they can. I was angry when the British gov allowed arguably the biggest football name to fall in to debt like that. Since then, they allowed oligarchs and even nation states to own clubs. Nothing is out of bounds as long as some money is coming in. Look at cheaty what good press they have while we all know the level of human suffering behind it.

glazed

What do you classify as 'enough'? Would you not argue that more than Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, Chelsea, Barcelona, Tottenham and Arsenal is "enough"?
Not really. Not when it is spent the way it is. It's quite clear that the Glazers haven't spent a penny on transfers themselves. All the money (minus their cut) came from club revenues. And it's been done without any footballing ambition beyond trying to stay fourth in the league and maximise player resale value.

Also, you will see that very few clubs now want to sign players in that 27+ age band...football is increasingly a young man's game and sports scientists are able to show how the vast, vast majority of players show steep physical decline around 28/29 onwards.
Yes it's bad business and Levy is a sharp businessman too. It just so happens that age is when footballers reach their peak - indeed that's the point. Their value goes down when they are at their best.

Yes I agree on the last point, we need a Director of Football. That's nothing to do with the Glazers though.
Sorry to shout but IT'S GOT EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE GLAZERS!!!! ARE YOU INSANE??????

Sorry got a little triggered there. To explain for the billionth time, their money first football second business model requires that an accountant calls the shots, not a DoF.

Last edited:

spiriticon

So when are we 'stepping up the search' for a DOF again?

Surely Ed's got to raise the PR hazard level from 'monitoring the situation' to 'narrowing down to 2 or 3 key targets'

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That’s the thing Woodward and the glazers are so shit at their jobs that they go and hire the one manager the fan base WONT easily turn on and then leave him swinging in the breeze. It’s not a good look. They could have just hired Poch and they’d have probably gotten away with it with yet another manager. I hope the fans go absolutely mental at the glazers when the shit hits the fan this season. Ole has slashed the wage bill, lowered the age of the squad, got us Europe, improved the mood around the place, pushed for Bruno, has kept pogba....improved lots of players. This is all on the owners now if we don’t kick on. People go on about coaching and systems. Look at Pep the ultimate system manager. At the end of the day It’s all about recruitment. Sign a flop? you go again until the position is adequately covered. We repeatedly fail at the most simple of things Every year. We try and cheap out and end up buying multiple players for the same position or paying more for our original target. Our main problem is we are indecisive to the max. That much is clear.

Last edited:

glazed

That’s the thing Woodward and the glazers are so shit are their jobs that they go and hire the one manager the fan base WONT easily turn on and then leave him swinging in the breeze.
That was the whole point of hiring him. Ole takes the heat, not them. Ed and the Glazers are very good at their jobs - it's just that their jobs aren't what you thought they were.

izzydiggler

It's just the same old shit...

"War chest available", "nobody can spend like we can"...

Months considering/planning bids...sagas get drawn out...towards end of window numerous leaks of excuses and that a "director of football to be recruited".

Fans get annoyed but want to support the team and are excited at the prospect of football bringing some positivity and temporary excitement.

Results dip - "Green and gold"...for a few weeks before people get bored.

When results go to shit, change manager or spend minimum amount to get into top 4 and appease fans and give some hope things could get better. Renewed positivity.

Glazers and Woodward laughing to the bank, raking in loads of cash despite not spending anything themselves, whilst fans argue amongst themselves but still buy the merch, renew season tickets etc.

Repeat ad nauseum.

ReallyUSA

Ole said we needed to strengthen. Of he acted like Mou people would complain about that.

FrenchRed

Life long Red (was born in the 70's so a long time before started winning things!), I love the club and always will. Ex-match going fan, didn't miss a home game for about 4 seasons in the early 2000's.

The Glazers and what they and Woodward have done to the club in the last years has drained any joy from me following the team. I'd previously do everything I could to watch every game, these days I am pretty much not bothered.

I've not bought Merch for years (my kids have only ever seen us lose, so aren't up to wear any jerseys!), I don't have a sports TV subscription. This transfer window just sums up how badly we are run - it makes me mad to see our club in such a shambles.

For me the situation is nuanced - the owners take money out of the club, ok, but over the last 9 years they have spent money (albeit the clubs). A lot of money. It's Woodward that appears to have handled things very badly indeed trying to be a DOF, pissing the cash up the wall. He has not put in a structure, not appointed a DOF and offers no planning or direction.

If the Glazers sacked Ed and brought in a new 'CEO' and DOF I honestly think that despite them leeching the club, things would already be a lot, lot better. Heck, Woodward has spent nearly 1 Billion... and we have a squad like we do?! It beggars belief.

I'll just probably drift off this season and not follow.

TheLord

Owner spending 2014-15 season up to 2018-19

1. Chelsea +£440m
2. Everton +£299m
3. Aston Villa +£193m
4. Fulham +£186m
5. Brighton +£160m
6. Man City +£142m
7. Wolves +£131m
8. Liverpool +£75m
9. Leeds United +£54m
10. Crystal Palace +£45m
11. Sheffield United +£17m
12. Southampton +£1m
13. Arsenal £0
14. Burnley -£4m
15. West Brom -£5m
16. Leicester -£8m
17. West Ham -£11m
18. Newcastle United -£18m
19. Tottenham Hotspur -£40m
20. Manchester United -£89m
Surely those are completely inaccurate numbers.
I made a thread (different theme, though), which probably has more accurate numbers (over a 10-year period).

glazed

For me the situation is nuanced - the owners take money out of the club, ok, but over the last 9 years they have spent money (albeit the clubs). A lot of money. It's Woodward that appears to have handled things very badly indeed trying to be a DOF, pissing the cash up the wall. He has not put in a structure, not appointed a DOF and offers no planning or direction.
But the two are linked. It's not just a random coincidence. Ed doesn't want a structure that competes with the one he has in place already to maximise profit.

That said I suspect we may well sign Sancho. It's certainly not outside the parameters of what Ed will agree to.