Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

Listar

I'd be surprised if Ed pushed the Glazers for a DOF because it would be a tacit admission of failure and in my experience, turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
If he can create decent dividends for them without world record signings, I suspect all parties concerned will be happy.
Whether the happiness extends to the coaching staff, team, sponsors and fans is a different matter.
My dilemma with us doing so well may give the board false sense of security or excuse that we don’t need investment.

AneRu

Which is also driven by what Glazers want. An owner with footballing interest would do things to make sure that the footballing part is well taken care of. And if the CEO they appointed is not taking care of that, then they will fire him and get someone who will do that job.
But Glazers are very well happy to have their money spent in the way it is now at the club. Which seems to indicate that they are getting back enough and that is what they all care about.

Which is my point. The owners have no motivation. They are happy with spending their money on managerial merry go round, rather than believe there is a deeper problem.

That is suggesting that VDB coming in was a Glazer/Woodward idea and not Ole
I think the evidence suggests that they can do both i.e make money whilst running a relatively successful team. Our spending equals or surpasses any football club in Europe that isn't backed by oil money so its only a matter of building up systems that breed efficiency.

I think their behaviour whilst exhibiting a lot of cluelessness also shows an ownership that is interested in competing at a decent level, unlike what the Arsenal ownership for example is doing. Our wage bill has grown immensely and we spend lots on players every summer whilst sacking managers ruthlessly. What we need is direction, we lost that when we lost Fergie and need to conjure up way of replacing that even if it doesn't come from the manager.

AneRu

I'd be surprised if Ed pushed the Glazers for a DOF because it would be a tacit admission of failure and in my experience, turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
If he can create decent dividends for them without world record signings, I suspect all parties concerned will be happy.
Whether the happiness extends to the coaching staff, team, sponsors and fans is a different matter.
I suspect that this is true and in a way it highlights why he is unsuitable for a leadership role - he is putting his ego and hunger for prestige ahead of organizational needs. What this club needs is a more efficient and effective recruitment strategy.

What he is delivering right now is dividends without the football success to keep the fans at bay but then the same fans are the customers that bring in the money and attract the sponsors. A club at war with its fans is never good for sponsors and this ownership's strategy is centered around attracting big endorsement deals.

A good DoF probably helps to ensure that we are spending on the correct player, we are taking the right punts and we know which player is available at the right right time and price. If he results in us not spending world record fees on flawed one dimensional players then he would be a success.

GoldTrafford99

feck these parasites

Yeah - feck these parasites.. feck the owners who have - in the 16 years since they took over spent three times more on transfers than all of our owners in the 125 years prior to that added together.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yeah - feck these parasites.. feck the owners who have - in the 16 years since they took over spent three times more on transfers than all of our owners in the 125 years prior to that added together.
Talk about being out of touch with reality.

hubbuh

Still livid we didn't pay that £24.7 million to get Jimmy John Johnson back in 1895.

GoldTrafford99

i'm not out of touch with reality.

Since the Glazers took over United, they have spent more than any other owners on transfers.

This myth that they don't support managers is outside the lines of reality.

I mean, it doesn't even take long to look into figures spent by all major clubs in Europe - of which United, every summer, are always top or second, year on year since 2005.

So shut up with this myth that the Glazers don't allow managers to spend. They do. They always have.

Where the Glazers went wrong is that they appointed Ed Woodward to run the football club in the wake of Alex Ferguson and David Gill stepping down in May 2013.

Although armed with hundreds of millions to spend on transfers, Woodward didn't know what he was doing. He was DESPERATE to win something, so kept hiring and firing mangers. And we turned into a mess.

That is what we can blame the Glazers for. Bad succession management post-Fergie and Gill. But we can NOT blame them for being tight with transfer spend. Simply because we spent more than any other club in world football, and have done since May 2005. Only Manchester City come close.Every other big spender, like Real Madrid etc, are now out of that market. They can't compete with us for players like Sancho etc.

The master spenders are in Manchester.

To suggest they don't spend on the first-team is just utter lunacy. FFS. We just spent £50m on two teenagers who have played a total of 8 first team games between them. NO OTHER owners in world football would do that.... we did! We invested in the future.

Last edited:

Flying high

Since the Glazers took over United, they have spent more than any other owners on transfers.

I mean, it doesn't even take long to look into figures spent by all major clubs in Europe - of which United, every summer, are always top or second, year on year since 2005.

So shut up with this myth that the Glazers don't allow managers to spend. They do. They always have.

Where the Glazers went wrong is that they appointed Ed Woodward to run the football club in the wake of Alex Ferguson and David Gill stepping down in May 2013.

Although armed with hundreds of millions to spend on transfers, Woodward didn't know what he was doing. He was DESPERATE to win something, so kept hiring and firing mangers. And we turned into a mess.

That is what we can blame the Glazers for. Bad succession management post-Fergie and Gill. But we can NOT blame them for being tight with transfer spend. Simply because we spent more than any other club in world football, and have done since May 2005. Only Manchester City come close.Every other big spender, like Real Madrid etc, are now out of that market. They can't compete with us for players like Sancho etc.

To suggest they don't spend on the first-team is just utter lunacy. FFS. We just spent £50m on two teenagers who have played a total of 8 first team games between them. NO OTHER owners in world football would do that.... we did! We invested in the future.
Most of this is simply not true. Why make stuff up to support the leeches draining our club?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Why do your posts always read like a weird poem? Or an article in The Sun that has about 12 adblocked adverts on the page.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The owners dont spend their own money, jesus.

The club does. A club that is currently riding a enormount amount of debt. A debt we can afford, but one that could be infinitely better spent investing in the club, not paying interest on installments.

Oh and of course there are the dividends that the Glazers take out of the club. The only owners in the Premier League that take dividends mind you.

They might greenlight transfers, but they only greenlight them because the clubs finances can afford the burden. They have invested nothing themselves. The difference between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ownership and the Manchester United ownership, is that the Glazer family is emotionally invested in their NFL franchise, Manchester United is only a good investment opportunity.

romufc

That anyone would actively support and back the Glazers is mindblowing to me.
They do not understand. Spending money = Glazers not tight.

The problem is not spending money, the problem is how the club is run and very questionable decisions.

People who say we spent the most money, yes, but we make the most money too. The money we spend is not the Glazers money.

Instead, they are taking money out from the club for profit, that could have been used for numerous things like upgrading the stadium maybe?

hungrywing

Why do your posts always read like a weird poem? Or an article in The Sun that has about 12 adblocked adverts on the page.
You staff/volume posters really should have a sticky explaining at the very least that the Glazers - aside from their contribution to the original outlay - haven't spent any of their own money on the club.

At this point I'm guessing that the extra clicks is worth the ad revenue.

GoldTrafford99

The problem is not spending money, the problem is how the club is run and very questionable decisions.

People who say we spent the most money, yes, but we make the most money too. The money we spend is not the Glazers money.

Instead, they are taking money out from the club for profit, that could have been used for numerous things like upgrading the stadium maybe?

We were turning over - as a football club - £120m a year on average between 1999 and 2005...

Since the Glazers took over we have increased revenue to 600m a year.

I am NOT a big supporter of Glazers. I am just saying with absolute certainty that anyone suggesting they are TIGHT and don't spend money on the first team are simply talking through their hole.

Now, we've got posters saying 'why don't they spend their own money'? Ha ha. You couldn't make this up? Why on earth would they spend their own money? What level of naivity is that?

Morpheus 7

Car crash of a post, they have milked the club and put huge debt on the club while doing it. They have not invested in renovating or expanding the stadium. They spent a good bit badly when Fergie left, after years of not investing before. The net spend has been a disgrace for what we take in. United spent badly under Lvg, slowed down spending since Jose's last Summer. We haven't bought to win the league and challenge, it's been to try and get top 4. You can be aggressive in your post all you want. You defending these parasites makes me sick. You clearly haven't a fecking clue what you are talking about.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Since the Glazers took over United, they have spent more than any other owners of transfers.

I mean, it doesn't even take long to look into figures spent by all major clubs in Europe - of United are always top or second, year on year since 2005.

Oh bore off with this lousy and completely inaccurate defence of the leeches. You're making a nonsensical point of them outspending all United's owners in the 19th and 20th century. That's being out of touch with reality.

Glazers are single-handedly responsible for our downfall. They're the ones who hired their mate Woodward. They hired a businessman with no footballing experience to run a football club. And they will be thrilled with him because he has done well on the commercial side of things. They're super content as long as we keep getting top 4, revenue keeps being high and they can keep paying themselves dividends twice per year. Look at the ridiculously poor investment every time we get top 4, simply no desire to push on from there and go for trophies. Instead they wait until things go pear-shaped the next season before launching yet another rebuild job to get us back into top 4.

Quite laughable how your main defence for them is "they are big spenders" as if they are funding the club from their own pockets. The truth is the complete opposite. The club is making its own money and that money is funding the leeches.

We have one of the lowest wages to revenue ratios in the league, despite having one of the highest revenues in the world. Old Trafford is an outdated wreck in need of a serious upgrade. The debt somehow keeps increasing. Our starting XI has 2-3 glaring holes that need fixing before we can seriously start winning things. So the club makes all this money. Yet our wage turnover ratio is low, stadium isn't getting the overhaul it needs, debt isn't being reduced, we have glaring holes in the starting XI - where is all the club earned money actually going?

These parasites are bleeding the club dry. They're handing out $30m dividend payments to themselves in a year where revenue has taken a massive hit due to a global pandemic. There is no structure or plan in place to win things. All they care about is filling their own pockets. Try looking at the bigger picture rather than being totally oblivious to reality.

hubbuh

Exactly, well said. How are there still fans out there that don't get that? I hate the fact that the Glazer's are riding on the coattails of Fergie's success and still making millions for themselves off the back of it. Absolute chancers that don't give one feck about United.

Last edited:

romufc

We were turning over - as a football club - £120m a year on average between 1999 and 2005...

Since the Glazers took over we have increased revenue to 600m a year.

I am NOT a big supporter of Glazers. I am just saying with absolute certainty that anyone suggesting they are TIGHT and don't spend money on the first team are simply talking through their hole.

Now, we've got posters saying 'why don't they spend their own money'? Ha ha. You couldn't make this up? Why on earth would they spend their own money? What level of naivity is that?
Are you seriously going to compare figures from 1995 to 2020?

During that time, TV rights money was not a thing. Yes, the Glazers have really upped our game on the commercial side, no one is discrediting them for that.

Over the years, TV right, Sponsorship deals values have gone up, not just Manutd but look at other clubs too.

Don't forget how much they leveraged out the club to buy it in the first place, none of that has been paid back yet either, instead they keep leveraging the club.

Posters are NOT saying why are they spending their own money, they are saying THEY are not. there is a difference there. Its for posters like you who say they spent x millions on players, however that money is generated by Manutd not Glazers.

What have they done to bring this club into the current models? Investment in the stadium? 0
Investment in playing staff - only when necessary
The clubs hierarchy? Outdated.

Fluctuation0161

They've spent £1bn on their personal debt. This should've been spent on players or upgrading facilities.

GoldTrafford99

They've spent £1bn on their personal debt. This should've been spent on players or upgrading facilities.

Well, Fluctuation0161, you would only have to do GCSE level Business Studies to understand that what you are trying to say is utterly nonsensical.

arthurka

Well, Fluctuation0161, you would only have to do GCSE level Business Studies to understand that what you are trying to say is utterly nonsensical.
Well it might be right that the club has been used to pay for itself and the interests of the terrible loans during the financial crisis. So it might not be totally wrong that this amount could have been used into the club instead of financing the takeover. But you are right when you say that it´s not correct that they didn´t use it to pay of their personal debt. But the fact is that since the takeover the club is saddled in debt that seems to be getting larger lately, an insane amount has been taken out to pay for the takeover and refinancing plus even still they keep taking out money each year but that could be argued that owners of companies should get something back from their investments.
Problem is that no other owner seems to own football clubs for cash except well us. Some are betting on the clubs growing in price so when they sell they will cash in, but our owners use it for both.

manc exile

Supports
City
As a United fan I'm just frustrated at the ongoing incompetence of the club.

Why would the Glazer's buy one of the biggest clubs in the world...if they don't have the net worth to keep the club at the top alongside Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Juventus?

To me is shows either poor judgment or poor foresight at best...or a malicious self serving profit motive at worst.

They should sell.
bingo

dabeast

One big issue is the sheer number of Glazers. Paying one or two’s personal expense bill may not have been crazy for a club like ours, but when dear Malcolm’s loins seem to have sired so many (mostly unemployed) offspring, the sheer number of they and their children’s needs have limited our competitiveness.

Denis' cuff

Ron Atkinson spent more than the accuhistory of the club

ever heard of inflation?

Get a brain, pal. If it needs explaining yet again...

GoldTrafford99

Ron Atkinson spent more than the accuhistory of the club

ever heard of inflation?

Get a brain, pal. If it needs explaining yet again...
Hey handsome,

Check this out: Manchester United have spent the second amount on transfers in the whole of world football since the Glazers took over in 2005... yeah? Only behind one other club, who just happens to be owned by an entire fecking country.

Shut up moaning about us spending on transfers... the Glazers DO spend on transfers... The second most amount in world football...

GoldTrafford99

Y'all bitching about the Glazers not spending money.

You lose that debate as soon as it starts, as somebody - anybody - can bring up the figures to prove you wrong.

What y'need to be bitching about the Glazers over is their decision to leave Ed Woodward in charge of football affairs at our club.

Think about this, because it is our reality:

The Glazers replaced Alex Ferguson and David Gill (the two men who had been successfully running the greatest football club on the planet for two decades running) with... Ed Woodward.. just Ed Woodward (who had never run a football club his whole life, not even an underage team).

When Fergie and Gill left, and the Glazers appointed Woodward, and since then we have hired and fired managers on average once every 22-months and have gone on to splash cash on Di Maria, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Sanchez... you know as well as I do that that list can go on and on... so don't be bitching about the spending. And start bitching about the real problem: The fact that we left a guy playing Fantasy Football in charge of the greatest football club on the planet. Look at the big-name managers he has hired and fired; look at the big-name players he has signed and then sold. It has been a disgrace. It has been mortifying.

Only in the past two years has Woodward got the message; only in the past two years has he realised we need to be patient and build a team, rather than just splashing cash at the likes of Ibrahimovic or fecking Bastian Schweinsteiger or Angel Di Ma-feckin-ria - or any or most of that £1 BILLION he has DESPERATELY spent since he took over the football club.

Woodward couldn't have had it more wrong playing Fantasy Football with our club.

Solskjaer is the man who came in and put that right...

And we all need to be 100% behind Solskjaer as a fanbase... because whether you personally have the patience or not to see his plan through to fruition (it'll be another three seasons BTW) you have to admit that he has calmed down the Woodward bollixolology of playing Fantasy Football, and got our club back operating as it always should be. Ole is as legendary for turning this ship around as he is for sliding home that winner on 26/05/99. Only most fans won't be able to see that for many years to come.

We still read posts from 'fans' on here arguing: Sack Ole, bring in Allegri. Let's keep playing Fantasy Football. Ha ha. These guys who want Ole sacked...they couldn't have it more wrong.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Y'all bitching about the Glazers not spending money.

You lose that debate as soon as it starts, as somebody - anybody - can bring up the figures to prove you wrong.

What y'need to be bitching about the Glazers over is their decision to leave Ed Woodward in charge of football affairs at our club.

Think about this, because it is our reality:

The Glazers replaced Alex Ferguson and David Gill (the two men who had been successfully running the greatest football club on the planet for two decades running) with... Ed Woodward.. just Ed Woodward (who had never run a football club his whole life, not even an underage team).

When Fergie and Gill left, and the Glazers appointed Woodward, and since then we have hired and fired managers on average once every 22-months and have gone on to splash cash on Di Maria, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Sanchez... you know as well as I do that that list can go on and on... so don't be bitching about the spending. And start bitching about the real problem: The fact that we left a guy playing Fantasy Football in charge of the greatest football club on the planet. Look at the big-name managers he has hired and fired; look at the big-name players he has signed and then sold. It has been a disgrace. It has been mortifying.

Only in the past two years has Woodward got the message; only in the past two years has he realised we need to be patient and build a team, rather than just splashing cash at the likes of Ibrahimovic or fecking Bastian Schweinsteiger or Angel Di Ma-feckin-ria - or any or most of that £1 BILLION he has DESPERATELY spent since he took over the football club.

Woodward couldn't have had it more wrong playing Fantasy Football with our club.

Solskjaer is the man who came in and put that right...

And we all need to be 100% behind Solskjaer as a fanbase... because whether you personally have the patience or not to see his plan through to fruition (it'll be another three seasons BTW) you have to admit that he has calmed down the Woodward bollixolology of playing Fantasy Football, and got our club back operating as it always should be. Ole is as legendary for turning this ship around as he is for sliding home that winner on 26/05/99. Only most fans won't be able to see that for many years to come.

We still read posts from 'fans' on here arguing: Sack Ole, bring in Allegri. Let's keep playing Fantasy Football. Ha ha. These guys who want Ole sacked...they couldn't have it more wrong.
The argument you're making isn't entirely wrong, but I'd say the tone and framing is going to turn lots of folks off.

The bottom line really is that it shouldn't be about the dollar amount spent under the Glazer's, but rather HOW and WHEN that money is being spent.

You largely blame Ed Woodward for us having spent incredibly poorly - and that's obviously true - so who then can we blame for his continuing ineptitude in the transfer market? Who indeed.

We spend a lot because we spend it badly. We have set outselves up as the mugs of the transfer world - the rich kids that don't actually know anything and are hence easily exploited. And we've continued that behaviour for almost a decade, so can hardly complain when we pay 80m for Maguire, or get priced out of 120m for Sancho.

See, I'm a simple economist, but here's the rub for me, that REALLY gets me angry about the Glazers: if those dipsh*t kids cared about us enough to even read they could make themselves MORE money by demonstrating some care as owners. See, big Ed has ensured their annual yacht purchase, but he's wasting THEIR money with his complete inabiltiy to be a grown up at the transfer table. He should have had those responsibilities removed after five f*cking years of failure, and told to do what he's good at, which is presumably bigging up Twitter numbers to noodle makers.

So if Ed is the problem then there's a clear solution. And only one family can do it.

RedDevil@84

I never understand the people who keep saying Woodward is the problem, but Glazers are not. If Woodward is a problem, then Glazers would have fired him.
Woodward is still in the job because he is providing the Glazers exactly what they are expecting Man Utd to give them.

AshRK

Not that I know anything about the stock market but fans should organise and snap those up no?
Not an expert myself but I think they are just selling ordinary shares so people buying these won't have any power or say.