"Glory Hunters"

Decomposing In Paris

Growing up in the 90's I heard this term quite a lot. I'm a third generation United supporter, so I never took it too personally.

Then the oil money arrived in the Premier League, and there was that term again, this time aimed at Chelsea & City supporters.

When Ferguson retired we got Moyes, but so many of the players remained. Then there was Van Gaal, who was a lunatic, but (at least for me, while he was here) he was our lunatic. Now we've got Jose, who won 2 trophies in his first season... but apparently they weren't the right type of trophies. He's now won 3/3 Champions League games (2 away), lost 1 game and quite a few of you are fed up. He doesn't use our current injury list as an excuse, but our injury list (if fit) would beat some teams on their own, and it's the longest in the league.

Some of you guys need to take a moment, and contemplate if you are really a Manchester United supporter. You may find that rather than being a United fan, that you're actually a fan of great players, or attractive football... there's no shame in that. Life is short, be happy.

P.S. If like some people, you are actually happy being unhappy, I could recommend a few other teams that will make you very unhappy/happy indeed ;)

TsuWave

weird post considering there are better teams with greater players and playing better football, so people must be here/follow United for a reason.

supporting United doesn't mean you have to follow some kind of hive mind that's happy with everything just because its United. Yes, we are in a decent position but the quality of football is lacking and people will voice their concerns. Our standard of football should be higher than what it has been.

Plato

Longest injury list in the league is the new tallest floodlights.

Andersons Dietician

weirdly a lot of the people defending Jose use the “but he wins trophies defence” and say things like they don’t care how he does it as long as he wins trophies. Sounds like a glory hunter to me.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Growing up in the 90's I heard this term quite a lot. I'm a third generation United supporter, so I never took it too personally.

Then the oil money arrived in the Premier League, and there was that term again, this time aimed at Chelsea & City supporters.

When Ferguson retired we got Moyes, but so many of the players remained. Then there was Van Gaal, who was a lunatic, but (at least for me, while he was here) he was our lunatic. Now we've got Jose, who won 2 trophies in his first season... but apparently they weren't the right type of trophies. He's now won 3/3 Champions League games (2 away), lost 1 game and quite a few of you are fed up. He doesn't use our current injury list as an excuse, but our injury list (if fit) would beat some teams on their own, and it's the longest in the league.

Some of you guys need to take a moment, and contemplate if you are really a Manchester United supporter. You may find that rather than being a United fan, that you're actually a fan of great players, or attractive football... there's no shame in that. Life is short, be happy.

P.S. If like some people, you are actually happy being unhappy, I could recommend a few other teams that will make you very unhappy/happy indeed ;)
Good name. Good thread.

It happens to every generation but people rarely change allegiance, they just never quite 'get it' like those who grew up in the local area. Before us was Liverpool, and there are an awful lot of 30/40 somethings supporting them and probably kicking themselves. Its no different than those who pick a team from the other side of the world.

AgentP

weirdly a lot of the people defending Jose use the “but he wins trophies defence” and say things like they don’t care how he does it as long as he wins trophies. Sounds like a glory hunter to me.
That's not glory hunting. By that definition, every fan could be considered a glory hunter. We all want our team to play attractive football and win trophies. But if we had to choose, I'd always choose winning trophies over the style of football.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Surely if we were glory hunters the style of football wouldn't matter? It would be all about success as the bottom line.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'm a united fan because of my dad, who started supporting in the dark days of the 70s.

If I was a glory supporter I'd have started following Barca/Madrid years ago.

Borden

I wonder what motivates people to write such holier-than-thou, condescending shite.

Gross Domestic Peasant

For the sake of full disclosure, I'm not a United fan at all. In fact, I don't support any team, but I do love football and follow United. I started doing so once SAF retired, as it plunged you into a process I still find fascinating (establishing a new identity/replacing the irreplacable) and which still hasn't been fully implemented.

It's a lot easier on the emotions when the investment is less, which is something glory-hunters share with the likes of me but would pretend not to. Their allegiance isn't real, whereas I don't pretend to have one, although my interest in United's fortunes is strong, and over and above strictly football.

Reactions: Penna

Rusholme Ruffian

You're right, a true fan rips the manager to shreds when the team is top of the league :rolleyes: Sorry but I'm not going to be taking any advice on supporting United from you - you can't even bring yourself to write 'United' in the 'supports' bit of your profile on here.

MeUnited

Style of football is more important to me than trophies. Football is meant to be entertaining.

Decomposing In Paris

This isn't a post about "defending Jose" though. Van Gaal won a trophy too. I'm not trying to shame people for being unhappy, I just think they should decide to change something if they are.

Decomposing In Paris

Style of football is more important to me than trophies. Football is meant to be entertaining.
Cool. How important to you is it that Manchester United are the ones playing the attractive football? How attractive is attractive enough? & How long are you prepared to wait to be happy?

el3mel

Not glory hunters, no, otherwise they would have stopped supporting the club 2 years ago already. The matter is most probably:

1- Impatience, especially saying City developing at the same time.
2- Zero confidence in the team's ability because of the previous failure years.

Last edited:

Plato

This isn't a post about "defending Jose" though. Van Gaal won a trophy too. I'm not trying to shame people for being unhappy, I just think they should decide to change something if they are.
What do you think I should change, being a fan of Manchester United, great players and attractive football?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Same, this thread doesnt make much sense anyway.

Gloryhunters would be dickriding Guardiola on the moment and not have umpteen discussions about United.

I am actually more United fan now since we're doing bad than I was when we were the best team in England and the world.

Borden

Probably just sick of moaning cnuts that purport to support the team but actually struggle with that as soon as there is a manager in post that they don't like.
I support the club, not any one manager or any one player.

Criticizing the manager can be the patriotic thing to do if said manager is detrimental to the club. Like Moyes or van Gaal.

littlepeasoup

Supporting United feels like a physical part of me, and it's so tied up to so many different emotions both positive and negative that I'm not even sure 'supporting' another team is even possible as this point.

RobinHood

Don't think it's a bad thing to support winning football.

If it's the same sort of football though for more than 2/3 years, then yeah I would be bored.

Going back to the OP, I grew up in the 90's too which invariably coincided with a strong period of successful football by us which leads many people to claim I'm a glory-hunting fan.

The thing is though that you can't change who you enjoyed watching and grew up supporting. It may have been easier because we were successful, but I genuinely developed a passion for the club, it's fans and the history.

I personally think results-wise we're moving ahead. More patience with some players as well as better recruitment during the upcoming transfer windows would improve us and hopefully let us play a more counter-attacking style of football when faced with strong attacking teams rather than parking the bus and relying on defensive solidity.

Plato

I'm not in a place to judge... that's your call... or it could be something else entirely.
The answer is I'm not going to change anything. I'm going to keep being an unhappy United fan until we get back to playing the kind of football I want to watch.

I figure that's the same for most other unhappy United fans at this point.

Rusholme Ruffian

I support the club, not any one manager or any one player.

Criticizing the manager can be the patriotic thing to do if said manager is detrimental to the club. Like Moyes or van Gaal.
People were criticising him before he'd even got his feet under the table! Some people made it clear that they never wanted him in the first place and would never be happy with him at the club. And unsurprisingly they are the ones all over the forum at the moment struggling to hide their glee.

Rusholme Ruffian

Same, this thread doesnt make much sense anyway.

Gloryhunters would be dickriding Guardiola on the moment and not have umpteen discussions about United.

I am actually more United fan now since we're doing bad than I was when we were the best team in England and the world.
A huge amount of the criticism of United on here goes hand in hand with eulogising over Pep and his brand of football.

Decomposing In Paris

Supporting United feels like a physical part of me, and it's so tied up to so many different emotions both positive and negative that I'm not even sure 'supporting' another team is even possible as this point.
Honestly this is how I feel too, not sure I could have put it into words so eloquently though.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
A huge amount of the criticism of United on here goes hand in hand with eulogising over Pep and his brand of football.
If they were actually gloryhunters then they'd also go and start supporting them dont you think. Just because you're a fan of United doesnt mean you cant criticise them, or point to others for excuses some of the fans make for our players/managers.

I criticise United so much because I know how much better we can do and how much potential this club has, its frustrating to see us make bad decision after bad decision after bad decision but it's part of the journey of being a fan. It has nothing to do with gloryhunting, this is just a thread for the "moral fans" to shown what "topreds" they are because they give everything and everyone time and never criticise anything.

They were the same ones that wanted to give van Gaal 5 years, my word, that'd be a disaster.

Minimalist

I support United as my dad basically told me to (introduced me to them if you will) at a very young age. Many in N.Ireland do historically due to many players from here playing for United.

If he told me to support Burton Albion it wouldn’t have been much different I predict (well maybe football wouldn’t have been my favourite sport in that case).

The label of glory hunter is massively overused. My dad didn’t see United win much growing up.

The only glory hunters I’ve seen in my lifetime is one or two Chelsea supporters (who were actual supporters) who seemed to magically take interest again when the money rolled in, and a few City supporters who appeared out of thin air around 2010.

Borden

People were criticising him before he'd even got his feet under the table! Some people made it clear that they never wanted him in the first place and would never be happy with him at the club. And unsurprisingly they are the ones all over the forum at the moment struggling to hide their glee.
How horrible :( Poor Mourinho

breakout67

Supports
Man City
A lot of fans put a lot of importance on football; its like a religion. Just like I don't take obsessive religious people seriously I don' take obsessive fans seriously.

Some people can't enjoy the rest of the week if united lose and that's their right to feel that way. For me there are more important things than a club that I have no influence on. I know at the end of the day I'm just a customer to them.

Rusholme Ruffian

If they were actually gloryhunters then they'd also go and start supporting them dont you think. Just because you're a fan of United doesnt mean you cant criticise them, or point to others for excuses some of the fans make for our players/managers.

I criticise United so much because I know how much better we can do and how much potential this club has, its frustrating to see us make bad decision after bad decision after bad decision but it's part of the journey of being a fan. It has nothing to do with gloryhunting, this is just a thread for the "moral fans" to shown what "topreds" they are because they give everything and everyone time and never criticise anything.

They were the same ones that wanted to give van Gaal 5 years, my word, that'd be a disaster.
I'm personally not calling anyone a gloryhunter, but you specifically wrote that 'gloryhunters would be dickriding Guardiola' and I was just pointing out that that does happen pretty frequently on here. You've then moved the goalposts and started writing about something that I never said anyway.

It's also lazy to say that everyone that wanted to give Mourinho a chance are 'the same ones that wanted to give van Gaal 5 years'. Just a lazy untruth. In fact, one of the most vocal anti-Mourinho posters on here was also one of the most pro-LVG.

Andersons Dietician

I’d actually think the people we see now defending him so ferociously were the people calling for LVG’s head by Christmas because Jose was available so they could install their favourite.