Goal of the month December 2006 - best month ever?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Just saw this on Twitter...

Is it just the Corona induced isolation that is sending me mental or has there never been a better "goal of the month" selection?

Also, any excuse to see the Essien and Scholes bangers.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Is it just the Corona induced isolation that is sending me mental or has never been a better "goal of the month" selection?

That’s insane. Everyone of those is actually iconic. As soon as I saw the name at the start of each clip I knew exactly what goal was coming.

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
That is mental - Essien’s was best for me though but all stunners

duffer

Scout
That is mental - Essien’s was best for me though but all stunners
Essien's is great but the camera angle really makes it look so fantastic.

For me, the Scholes one was the best, purely because I've tried it a 100 times over the years, never scored and even missed the ball a few times!

Thiagoal

Remember that competition well! I doubt there’s been a better goal of the season compilation

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I have Scholes (and his Bradford one) saved on my phone. Every now and again I watch them .... think the game had Jim Beglin commentating saying something like "all the talk has been whether Drogba or Essien was the best but for me, that's the goal of the season".

To hit a ball dropping from height is an amazingly tough ask.

Other than that, I like Essiens and Huddlestones... both hard technique to catch it/control it right.

Dante

Average bang
First Scholes, then Essien, then Taylor.

The Lampard, Drogba and Hundredstone goals were all placed a tiny bit too central for my liking, and could have arguably been savable by a better keeper. Incredibly techiique on them all, though.

El Zoido

Scholes is the best one, absolute perfection in every aspect. Essien a close second.

And this video reminds me just how annoyingly good Chelsea were in that period.

pascell

Is it just the Corona induced isolation that is sending me mental or has there never been a better "goal of the month" selection?

Knew exactly which one it was before watching the video, just because of the Matt Taylor goal.

Also, did anyone notice the empty seats down at City in the Huddlestone goal? Not like their fans, especially with all that history they have behind them.

Djemba-Djemba

Usual packed house at the Etihad I see.

Scholes or Essien for me.

Before that bad injury Essien was fecking ridiculous. Absolute monster of a player, bad at maths though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I can't believe all them goals were from the same month. Apart from Lampard's I remember all the others, and they're all great. For me it's probably Scholes's overall but that Essien strike is so sweet, and Drogba's was fantastic with a great celebration that also lives in the memory.

nikineil

Didn't Scholes' goal win the goal of the season as well that year? Absolutely ridiculous goal collection that! All in one month. Insane

GregtheRed_

Optus Sport here in Australia have a selection of highlights/classic matches over the course of the Premierleague era. Watched the Goals of the Season from 06/07 last night - Essien's strike was something else but Scholes' is just super cool. Effortless.

I've now moved to Goals of the Season from 07/08 with Ronnie's freekick against Portsmouth. This quarantine thing isn't so bad.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Which one won goal of the month? I'd go with Scholes or Huddlestone, the technique for both of those is stunning.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Who won? Obviously my vote goes to Scholes. Ronaldo's reaction always gets me!

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Obviously scholes my favorite. But i remember them all, especially that Drogba goal, what a talented and complete striker he was.

Mr Smith

Mental collection of goals. Is it just me or are there far less screamer's scored these days?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Fantastic watch and a nice catch indeed.

Also, coincidentally, this popped on my timeline on facebook:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Scholes, Essien and Drogba are all great.

Honourable mention to Tom Huddlestone. He was generally such a clean striker of the ball. Another case of me being totally wrong about a footballer, I thought he was going to be a top midfielder, great passer of the ball, great technique, seemed to always score screamers that looked effortless. he seemed to have all the ability, I still don't know why his career didn't properly take off.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Scholes' is easiest on the eye. A volley always looks more impressive when it is relaxed, leaning back a little and nonchalant as @Green_Red perfectly put it. Like there is an inverse ratio between the amount of effort visually displayed by the player versus the power and cleanness of the strike. Technically that and the Huddlestone half-volley are the most impressive. Certainly the Huddlestone strike rarely gets a replay whereas the Taylor and Drogba long rangers have survived the passing of time better. From memory, Essien's was the most meaningful coming towards the death of a big game between two top sides.

duffer

Scout
@Green_Red perfectly put it. Like there is an inverse ratio between the amount of effort visually displayed by the player versus the power and cleanness of the strike. Technically that and the Huddlestone half-volley are the most impressive. Certainly the Huddlestone strike rarely gets a replay whereas the Taylor and Drogba long rangers have survived the passing of time better. From memory, Essien's was the most meaningful coming towards the death of a big game between two top sides.
The Essien goal was in the 81st min and an equaliser away to Arsenal.

That was during the spell we had Cech and Cudicini out injured. Hilario in goal!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Fantastic goals. But is it me or did the goalies look a bit shit for some of those? Scholes, Drogba and Huddleston's were from a distance and near enough close to them. Even Essien's power curler was at a decent height (not top corner). It was like Pickford was in goal for all of them rather than Alison, Ederson or De Gea.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Scholes' is easiest on the eye. A volley always looks more impressive when it is relaxed, leaning back a little and nonchalant as @Green_Red perfectly put it. Like there is an inverse ratio between the amount of effort visually displayed by the player versus the power and cleanness of the strike. Technically that and the Huddlestone half-volley are the most impressive. Certainly the Huddlestone strike rarely gets a replay whereas the Taylor and Drogba long rangers have survived the passing of time better. From memory, Essien's was the most meaningful coming towards the death of a big game between two top sides.
Drogba and Lampards were meaningful. Drogba I believe was the winner and Lampard the equaliser. Both were late on I believe

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Drogba and Lampards were meaningful. Drogba I believe was the winner and Lampard the equaliser. Both were late on I believe
Yeah true, it's more about the gravity of the game. Two of the top three sides in the country in a tense battle with Mourinho's 51-home-game unbeaten run at Stamford Bridge on the line.

arnie_ni

Personally think huddlestons was the best.

Maybe not the best, but definitely the hardest technique.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I remember Taylor doing an interview after and saying that must be the unluckiest goal of the month contender in the world, pretty sure he had a few other bangers like that, always eclipsed by another goal, but he didn't see anyone beating that one until he saw Scholes strike :lol: