Goal Predictions for United Players 19/20

KennyBurner

Why are people adding ben yedder? If thats the case we should also add bruno, maguire and Sancho(hopefully).

cyril C

I don't know where people get this idea that we'll replace Lukaku with a starting striker. Lukaku has been a sub since Ole took over. At best we're replacing him with someone to be on the bench. More likely, we replace him with a mixture of Greenwood/Sanchez who will have much bigger roles you'd expect then the 2nd half of last season.

Rashford and Martial both scored 10-15 goals in each of the last few seasons playing in more defensive roles or on the wings and with more sporadic roles compared to now where they are both going to be seen as our 2 main attackers. They need to step up, but even just continuing as is for them would probably see a 5 goal in all competition increase which is close to 15+ league goals and around 20 for both. Not to mention that with Europa league, there's a fair chance we play close to 60 games this season. Loads of games to go around, loads of rotation, and plenty against weaker sides I would guess.

In fact for both totals, I basically just took Arsenal and Chelsea's goal totals from the league and all competitions last season, and ours is basically that, just distributed between our players (and none of those numbers are too unrealistic IMO).
I need said "starter", I only said replacement. There is no problem in picking Rashford and Martial as preferred starting 11 as LVG did, what I meant was the problem in trusting your result entirely on these 2. When Mourinho signed Ibra I thought it was good because the boys didn't feel threatened while continue with their development. When Lukaku was signed these 2 boys need to be accommodating but there were still plenty of game time for them. With the way Martial sulk I tend to agree with Mourinho. All hell broke lose when Sanchez was signed, and was asked to play on the LHS.

Back to my comment - You cannot trust your result entirely on these 2, not yet. A replacement must be signed, someone capable of scoring 10-15 goals in the last 30min but not complaining about too much bench time, someone capable of stepping up to 20-25 goals if necessary if Martial or Rashford AWOL again.

Irwin99

Goals will be spread around the team again but i'm not convinced any of our forwards will get 15+ league goals or 25 overall but you never know.

If he plays a bit more I could maybe see Mctom getting a few more (maybe 4 or 5 overall). He was getting into the box more after Ole took over, as well striking some decent long range efforts. Again, the goals will be really spread out over the squad.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
From all competitions:
  • Rashford - 22 all comps
  • Lukaku - SOLD
  • Greenwood - 8 all comps
  • Martial - 16 all comps
  • Sanchez - SOLD
  • Lingard - 7 all comps
  • James - 6 all comps
  • Mata - 5 all comps
  • Gomes - Zero
  • Chong - Zero
  • Pogba - 15 all comps
  • Pereira - 2 all comps
  • Fred - 2 all comps
  • McTominay - 4 all comps
  • Matic - 2 all comps
  • Garner - 1 all comps
  • Shaw - 2 all comps
  • Young - 2 all comps
  • Smalling - 4 all comps
  • Lindelof - 3 all comps
  • Bailly - 1 all comps
  • Jones - SOLD
  • Rojo - SOLD
  • Tuanzebe - Zero
  • Wan Bissaka - 2 all comps
  • Dalot - 2 all comps
  • Darmian - SOLD
  • Maguire - 4 all comps
  • Bruno - 12 all comps
  • Pepe - 16 all comps

Todd

Last time a United player scored 20 or more in the league was RVP. You can argue Zlatan might have if not for his injury troubles, but alas, nobody on this squad currently is going to score anywhere near 20 in the league this season.

I like Rashford and Martial, but both of them are too inconsistent and you never know if Martial is even gonna get a run of games. I'd say if everything goes right for them, either one could hit 15 tops.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Predict how many goals each player you think will get this season in the league and all competitions (or put a range of 5 goals if it makes it easier). If you think the player will be sold, loaned out or whatever, just write that instead. Put 3 general new signings per areas, just put n/a if we arent going to make them.... decent way to get a rough total and see how many league goals/all competition goals we actually have in our squad.
  • Rashford - 15-20 league, 20-25 all comps
  • Lukaku - sold
  • Greenwood - 7-10 league, 15 all comps
  • Martial - 13-15 league, 18-20 all comps
  • Sanchez - 2 league, 3 all comps
  • Lingard - 7 league, 12 all comps
  • James - 5 league, 6 all comps
  • Mata - 3 league, 6 all comps
  • Gomes - 1 league, 3 all comps
  • Chong - loan
  • Pogba - 12 league, 15-20 all comps
  • Pereira - 1 league, 3 all comps
  • Fred - 1 league, 2 all comps
  • McTominay - 2 league, 3 all comps
  • Matic - 0 league, 0 all comps
  • Garner - loan/youth
  • Shaw - 1 league, 1 all comps
  • Young - 1 league, 3 all comps
  • Smalling - 0 league, 1 all comps
  • Lindelof - 0 league, 1 all comps
  • Bailly - 0 league, 0 all comps
  • Jones - 0 league, 0 all comps
  • Rojo - sold
  • Tuanzebe - 0 league, 1 all comps
  • Wan Bissaka - 1 league, 1 all comps
  • Dalot - 0 league, 2 all comps
  • Darmian - sold
  • New attacking signing - n/a
  • New midfield signing - 1 league, 2 all comps
  • New defensive signing - 2 league, 3 all comps
Total
League - 75 goals
All competitions - 120 goals

Predicting we end up getting Longstaff and Maguire.

Both feel like realistic totals IMO, Europa league makes it a long season, think we'll be an attack minded team and there are plenty of chances/goals in that team. The totals are basically Arsenals league goals total and then slightly more in all competitions from last season, which seems pretty fair. Career years for Rashford and Martial, but both are getting to the point where they're expected to always improve and score more consistently (and will have the squad roles to do so). Greenwood think he'll impress and have a big role in the cups.
Good enough for top 4 IMO, as I think Chelsea will struggle, though itll be between United and Arsenal.
Shamelessly bumping this, but happy to see how right I was with Martial, Rashford and Greenwood :drool: (guaranteed to surpass the prediction pretty much). Way off with Pogba, but Bruno came in and basically took on that role more than half way through the season. Lingard also well off. Any goalscoring issues from the firsthand of this season stemmed from everyone outside the main attackers. Purely from a numbers point of view, it's very good from Martial, Rashford and Greenwood, but now we have Ighalo and Bruno looking like scoring every game and Pogba will up his totals for sure too.

Let's just ignore that I thought Arsenal would do well and Chelsea would struggle...

KennyBurner

There’s some optimism in those !!!! Rashford 25 !!!! Martial 14 in the PL !!!!

Rashford 15 for the entire season. Martial 10. Mata will weigh in with more than 3 and could touch double figures if he gets enough game time across all the cups.

You’d hope that whoever replaces Lukaku is the man we will be relying on because despite his ineptness to get decisive goals we are losing 20 goals from him and by definition of the fact we are trading him in suggests that OGS has better lined up ie more than the 20 he’d guarantee.

Sorry, just seen Martial 20 !! Wow ! We have fans who think Rashford and Martial will get 45 between them ? It will be genuinely miraculous if they got 30, I think 25 maximum from the pair of them is what we will get.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe we are not optimistic but just logical. Give them more minutes in their position and they will perform.

Last edited:

KennyBurner

We can laugh now but they were valid predictions at the time. We are doing really well now and outside of Ole's first 13-15 games 2019 was a fecking nightmare.
Im laughing at the fact the season hadn't started and the negativity was in full flow. These predictions came at a time when we didn't have injuries to our best players so with all things considered its isnt strange to think our attackers could put up decent numbers. Those predictions from that poster were far from valid as is proven now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We can laugh now but they were valid predictions at the time. We are doing really well now and outside of Ole's first 13-15 games 2019 was a fecking nightmare.
Nah the guy was dramatic. He thought that Rashford and Martial wouldn't increase their goal tally at all despite finally becoming key players to the 11 and having stable roles. A cautious prediction would've been 15-20 in all comps and their best seasons each, which they've reached with possibly 11 games left in the season (if we reach every cup final). Normal seasons could've had 13 more to play (2nd legs in Europa League). Keeping up 1 in 2 ratios, can see both getting to mid 20s.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, it wasn't valid opinion back then too. It's just lazy opinion you hear on sky pundit panel who does 0 research.

Rashford and Martial played around 50% mins in previous seasons, so it's logical to assume that they would score more when they are first choice players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nah the guy was dramatic. He thought that Rashford and Martial wouldn't increase their goal tally at all despite finally becoming key players to the 11 and having stable roles. A cautious prediction would've been 15-20 in all comps and their best seasons each, which they've reached with possibly 11 games left in the season (if we reach every cup final). Normal seasons could've had 13 more to play (2nd legs in Europa League). Keeping up 1 in 2 ratios, can see both getting to mid 20s.
It's not just weird prediction, calling people as Rashford apologists when trying to explain when they might score 20 goals.

GiddyUp

Im laughing at the fact the season hadn't started and the negativity was in full flow. These predictions came at a time when we didn't have injuries to our best players so with all things considered its isnt strange to think our attackers could put up decent numbers. Those predictions from that poster were far from valid as is proven now.
We just came off a horrible end to the season with the squad squabbling and a lot of players not giving a shit, this carried on in to this season. A lot of supporters were also questioning, rightly in my opinion the level of consistency of Martial and Rashford to hit those numbers, not that they couldn't. Now we have a few calmer heads in the squad and everyone involved seems to be working hard to get us back to where we believe we should be. None of that was there on July 15th of last year when that post was made.
But yes, hahaha, hindsight is a wonderful thing and maybe we should trawl the doom and gloom posts over the last ten years and laugh at how wrong those predictions have become.