GOAT Athletes Five Stars Draft | FINAL poll added

Who has picked the greatest team? (Read post #145)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Anyone voting for crappy is out of there minds. Most aren't undisputed best at their sport, and the shoe-horning to the categories is shameful.

It's obvious my team is much better, to anyone who watches sport.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Anyone voting for crappy is out of there minds. Most aren't undisputed best at their sport, and the shoe-horning to the categories is shameful.

It's obvious my team is much better, to anyone who watches sport.
What the feck are you talking about?

There is a rarely any one who is undisputed best of their sport due to it being super tough to reconcile between different eras. Sachin is a GOAT contender and undisputed bests of his era. Federer as it stands is THE GOAT of Tennis. LeBron is Goat of his career and possibly seconD only to MJ. Babe is kind of trailblazer you want in innovator GOAT role. Those 4 are super solid and I will happily admit that Rapinoe is the weak spot but in terms of woman's football context she will be counted in GOAT list when her career is done.

And above all of this, I have the GOAT manager 100% in Fergie.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Aargh... been away and completely forgot about this. @Samid

Leader - Richie McCaw. 148 tests for the outstanding rugby union team, the All Blacks, of which he captained them in 110 of those tests. An incredible inspirational leader.
Winner - Katie Ledecky. Still only 23 years old, is there anything she hasn't achieved in swimming? Appeared in the Olympics aged just 15, she won the gold medal in a brutal endurance event - the 800m freestyle. She then followed that up in the 2016 Olympics with 4 gold medals, 1 silver medal (she was not happy) and 2 world records. In total she currently has 34 world medals and has broken 14 world records.
Superstar - Pele. How much actually needs to be said. Just look at the games and goals. 1281 goals in 1363 games. You can forget Maradona, Messi and Cristiano, this man was the original football superstar
Innovator - Jackie Joyner-Kersey. Totally changed the face of modern female athletics. Wasn't just world class in one event, but nearly seven of them. Competed in multiple Olympics games in both the Heptathlon and Long Jump, she could easily have medalled in the 100m hurdles, 200m and high jump. Her world record, set in 1988, is way ahead of her nearest competitor.
Pantomime Villain - Muhammad Ali. It seems weird to put "The Greatest" in this category, but his mouth wound up a lot of people. The thing is, he could genuinely walk the walk. I could have put him in Innovator, Superstar or Winner categories and he would still have been the best.
Manager - Bill Belichick aka The hooded one. There is no way that in any conversation about the greatest managers of all time that he cannot be considered. Won 6 superbowls as head coach, 2 as defensive co-ordinator. He rules all that he sees and drags mediocre teams to great heights.

Moby

Dick
What the feck are you talking about?

There is a rarely any one who is undisputed best of their sport due to it being super tough to reconcile between different eras. Sachin is a GOAT contender and undisputed bests of his era. Federer as it stands is THE GOAT of Tennis. LeBron is Goat of his career and possibly seconD only to MJ. Babe is kind of trailblazer you want in innovator GOAT role. Those 4 are super solid and I will happily admit that Rapinoe is the weak spot but in terms of woman's football context she will be counted in GOAT list when her career is done.

And above all of this, I have the GOAT manager 100% in Fergie.
Federer is the only one who has a strong GOAT claim and even that gets heavily contradicted with his closest rivals for the claim still being active. Sachin and Bron are both greats but not GOATs and there's a clear cut undisputed GOAT in their respective sports i.e. Don and Michael.

RedTiger

Half mast
Having Cristiano as a leader instead of a winner... Surely, there are many better candidates for the role.
It was a toss up between Ronnie and Gretzky for the leadership/superstar role. I'm OK with my selections to, be fair and winner wise I don't think anyone can top Jahangir Khan for pure longetivity of winning.

RedTiger

Half mast
It's between him and Gretzky. The others don't compete in team sports and haven't really been leaders.

From what I read of him, Gretzky seems to fit in very well as Winner, Superstar, and Innovator and he's not quite as good a fit in the Leadership category. So Cristiano is probably the best fit considering his options.
Correct! Now vote for me mitron.

Skills

Snitch
Team @Skills
  1. Leader: Johan Cruyff - Ajax, Netherlands and Barcelona.
  2. Winner: Nadia Comaneci - 10/10.
  3. Superstar: Michael Jordan - Air Jordan.
  4. Innovator: Billie Jean King - man beater.
  5. Pantomime villain: Carl Lewis - drugs cheat.
  6. Manager: Rinus Michels - good coach.

Looking at the other nominated leaders and superstars, I think I have a clear edge there. Michael Jordan's status as a superstar is pretty cemented in the multibillion dollar Jordan brand - I don't think anyone else's brand here comes close.

Cruyff was of course the face of the great Ajax and Netherlands teams, and then went to Barcelona to lead them to their first La Liga in 14 years. His leadership skills eventually translated into him becoming Barcelona's revolutionary coach.

Billie Jean King was the first superstar of women's tennis and she used her stature to achieve pay parity in the mens and women's game. She's a legend of a figure and stands among the best in the innovator/pioneer category.

crappycraperson

Scout
Federer is the only one who has a strong GOAT claim and even that gets heavily contradicted with his closest rivals for the claim still being active. Sachin and Bron are both greats but not GOATs and there's a clear cut undisputed GOAT in their respective sports i.e. Don and Michael.
No team will have 5 clear Goats. There are tennis fans who will dispute even Federer being a GOAT. Sachin having proven himself in two formats is either GOAT or next to Don.

reelworld

Surprised nobody take Kareem Abdul Jabbar. He literally invented the most unguardable shot of all time. And the NCAA invented new rule to stopped him to become too dominant

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Never heard of many names on there but if I vote, I will go with @ctp for having the GOAT of the GOATs, Moyesiah. The Fulham celebrations and Olympiacos comeback can never be matched by anyone in any sport.

Moyes will tell Messi to watch James McFadden and will ask Serena to learn from Bouchard :drool:

crappycraperson

Scout
Poll closed.. it is a tie between @altodevil and I .. @Samid. May be a head to head poll now to decide the winner so that others who voted for a different group can vote.