Gaming God of War (2018)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought the combat was exceptional and the best I've played in a proper story driven game i.e a non Souls game. I mean, DS has great combat. But you can't have that sort of difficulty in a game that has far better storytelling, less linear traversal and is supposed to be a quicker/less Grundy experience. For me it's the perfect blend of the weightiness and realism you get from a Soups game, and the kind you'd need from the kind of game this is.

amolbhatia50k

Pisses all over RDR IMO. Completely different game of course but this is the best story telling/action game I've ever played I feel. The combat is so smooth and excellent.
Yeah I agree. RDR2 is a nice game to get lost in. But the story and gameplay mechanics are alright and below par respectively (so far) despite the overall experience being very good. GoW was incredible from the get go. Nothing to ponder about for me. Sometimes you know you're playing something special from the off.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah I agree. RDR2 is a nice game to get lost in. But the story and gameplay mechanics are alright and below par respectively (so far) despite the overall experience being very good. GoW was incredible from the get go. Nothing to ponder about for me. Sometimes you know you're playing something special from the off.
GoW nailed the duration of the game. Nor too short, nor too long. I like RDR2 and Arthur Morgan is among my most liked videogame characters, repetitiveness of fighting/missions is the biggest problem for me.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You could argue that RDR2 (I still haven't finished) is a more impressive overall video games experience due to the worlds, the sheer depth to that world, insane attention to detail, and enormous amount of gameplay, but I'd happily go back and play 20 hours of this over 100 hours of RDR2 any day of the week. Because for 20 hours it's up there with the best games I've played.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm about 5 hours in and I'm loving it.

I'm normally the guy that wants to skip cutscenes and get on with the action, but this is a game where I want to watch the story unfold.

Kaos

I must be in the minority because I never really got into this. Pretty much gave up in what I assume to be the last third of the game. Couldn’t get over how much I hated the camera angles.

I applaud them for trying something new with the series though, wouldn’t be too upset if this racked up some GOTY awards.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Miss playing this. Redownloaded it last night and realized that I hadn't beaten the valkyrie queen yet. fecker. Got it down to a sliver but lost composure and died. Gonna spend all night til I beat it and then unlock everything for the gauntlet of the ages (because apparently that's pretty much the infinity gauntlet from avengers), and then start an NG+ since I didnt know they added that in either.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Miss playing this. Redownloaded it last night and realized that I hadn't beaten the valkyrie queen yet. fecker. Got it down to a sliver but lost composure and died. Gonna spend all night til I beat it and then unlock everything for the gauntlet of the ages (because apparently that's pretty much the infinity gauntlet from avengers), and then start an NG+ since I didnt know they added that in either.
That's what I still need to do, honestly best game I have played on ps4 in terms of single player, it's easily in my top 10 of all time with the likes of mgs, PlayStation exclusives simply are the best right now.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Just started this (3 hours in). It's a good game although I can't see it as being the best game of 2018. That for me is Red Dead Redemption 2. Although maybe it's still early days for me.

The combat on this game and it's animations are amazing but the lines are sometimes too cheesy ("Don't be sorry, be ... better"). And there's too much "Boy this, boy that".

amolbhatia50k

Just started this (3 hours in). It's a good game although I can't see it as being the best game of 2018. That for me is Red Dead Redemption 2. Although maybe it's still early days for me.

The combat on this game and it's animations are amazing but the lines are sometimes too cheesy ("Don't be sorry, be ... better"). And there's too much "Boy this, boy that".
It's all down to taste I suppose. I feel the exact opposite. GoW is my game of 2018 and half way through RDR2, I feel it's very good but nowhere near the 10/10 experience it is hailed as.

Where RDR 2s story (and dialogue) is intended to be rooted in reality, GoW's is based in mythology and hence larger than life. And that makes complete sense for the respective games.

redom

Started playing this and died a bunch on the fighting tutorial :lol:

Soon got more used to it though, the stranger fight was great and highlighted how much more I enjoy the combat when it's one on one, when there's a group I feel like I'm just dodging about trying to chip away until you can thin the herd. Just fought the Revenant and Heavy Draugr and struggled a bit because 2 or 3 hits is death and I was constantly dodging tracking poison attacks and 2 angry boulders chasing me about, can't imagine it on the hardest difficulty.

Ainu

Just started playing this today after finishing RDR 2 earlier. There's a nice weight to the combat, I much prefer this over the old button mashing of the previous games. It wears its Bloodborne inspiration proudly. It looks and sounds fantastic as well. I can see myself really loving this.

amolbhatia50k

This won GOTY at the game awards. Well done and fully deserved.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This won GOTY at the game awards. Well done and fully deserved.
Very much deserved.

Just wish they’d drop some DLC. So much lore and boss battles they’ve only scratched the surface with so far. They’re definitely saving the big guns for the sequel.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, I think one of the first things Cory Barlog said was that there would be no DLC for the game. :(

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fair enough. Guess I'll crack on then. Shame thou...

Ainu

I've played a lot more of it now but I feel some of its concepts are poorly explained or counter-intuitive. I'm at the point where the water level in the central hub has dropper a second time, revealing additional side quests. At level 3, I get completely demolished in every single side quest I attempted at this point, not a fun experience. I had largely been ignoring the new craftable equipment as they all seemed to have worse stat combinations than what I was already wearing.

Little did I know, your overal level is far more important to your actual damage output and intake than your strength, defence and vitality stats. So I've crafted some other gear, upped my level to 4 and suddenly I'm competitive again. Maybe I just missed something but it seems a strange system.

Still really enjoying the game though.

redom

Game ruined!! Just got to the fire realm and can still see Kratos breath, immersion destroyed, 0/10.

Vadim

Started this earlier, a few hours in. I really like it.

It’s my first time with a GOW game. I do a have a question if anyone could be so kind to answer?

How come Kratos always asks his son about stuff regarding the lore and who the other Gods are etc? I haven’t played the previous games but I assume Kratos has met all of these other gods and hardcore dudes?

I presume he doesn’t want his son knowing he’s a God himself right?

If anyone could answer without spoiling the game too much that would be great as I’m pretty early on in the story.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Started this earlier, a few hours in. I really like it.

It’s my first time with a GOW game. I do a have a question if anyone could be so kind to answer?

How come Kratos always asks his son about stuff regarding the lore and who the other Gods are etc? I haven’t played the previous games but I assume Kratos has met all of these other gods and hardcore dudes?

I presume he doesn’t want his son knowing he’s a God himself right?

If anyone could answer without spoiling the game too much that would be great as I’m pretty early on in the story.
Kratos is from the Greek Mythology world, while his son was born into the Norse mythology, his mother was Norse too.

Ainu

Just platinumed this earlier this evening. Incredible game and just the perfect amount of side content. Enough to keep you busy but never outstaying its welcome. Even the grindy bits were fun (doing full Niflheim runs).

Minor annoyance: the chasm in difficulty between the queen bitch and even the strongest of the other Valkyries is a bit much, but the other fights did a good job teaching the different move sets. Odin's ravens were a bit tedious and I could've done without them. Other than that, brilliant stuff.

Vadim

Kratos is from the Greek Mythology world, while his son was born into the Norse mythology, his mother was Norse too.
Thank you. Does it explain later on why Kratos isn’t in Greek Mythology World anymore?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Thank you. Does it explain later on why Kratos isn’t in Greek Mythology World anymore?
You can either play the old God of Wars or if you don't want to play them you can go on YouTube where there are plenty of videos explaining the story so far before the latest game.

Shark

@NotShark
That Gatekeeper boss in hell was an absolute nightmare to face. Very very late to the party, but loving this game so much.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Nice bump, looking back this game was the best of the year, which is quite the achievement given the highly anticipated and rated Red Dead also came out that year along with other very good games like Spider-Man.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Playing this game at the moment and i'm absolutely loving it. One of those games where I'm enjoying it to the point where I'm going out of my way to do every chest / quest /secret etc.

Never played a God of War before this either... but seems this story is pretty separate from all those games?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Playing this game at the moment and i'm absolutely loving it. One of those games where I'm enjoying it to the point where I'm going out of my way to do every chest / quest /secret etc.

Never played a God of War before this either... but seems this story is pretty separate from all those games?
It's in a different setting and not a continuation of the older games but Kratos is the main character in all games. Its worth playing the older games too if you get the time.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

It's fantastic, I can't wait for the next iteration.

Need to get it back off my bro and play through again, where you upto?

Valkyrie fights are class.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's fantastic, I can't wait for the next iteration.

Need to get it back off my bro and play through again, where you upto?

Valkyrie fights are class.
I'm currently running around Niflheim like a crazy bastard. Then I'll go to that Muswhatever place, and I need to go back to Hel to beat the Valkyrie there.

Story wise I've juts been on the floaty ship in Hel ... taking my time with the story though and trying to do everything else before I finish it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm currently running around Niflheim like a crazy bastard. Then I'll go to that Muswhatever place, and I need to go back to Hel to beat the Valkyrie there.

Story wise I've juts been on the floaty ship in Hel ... taking my time with the story though and trying to do everything else before I finish it.
Niflheim is annoying and fun in equal measure :lol:

Muspelheim is good fun and some good challenges to test your skills.

Ainu

You can cheat Niflheim a little by just turning difficulty all the way down to get the grind out of the way and then turn the difficulty up again afterwards. There's no punishment for it and it's a great time saver.

AaronRedDevil

Just platinum the game last month. This gen is crazy with masterpieces and they are all on the PlayStation! I thought Witcher 3 could never be beaten, then RDR2 came along and it was unbelievable. After finishing GoW. It's just too bloody epic for this not to be my game of the generation. The world, the stories that mimir tells. Atreus and Kratos journey and the best boss battle of all time with Conor mcgr(ahem) I mean baldur. There's only 2 games I'm really hyped for. GoW 2 and TLOU 2. Can't wait!