Gaming God of War (2018)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You can cheat Niflheim a little by just turning difficulty all the way down to get the grind out of the way and then turn the difficulty up again afterwards. There's no punishment for it and it's a great time saver.
It doesn't mess with your end game achievements or anything?

Also i read somewhere you get more Mists the harder the difficulty you're playing on?

Ainu

It doesn't mess with your end game achievements or anything?

Also i read somewhere you get more Mists the harder the difficulty you're playing on?
You can get a platinum playing the entire game on the lowest setting, it doesn't make a difference. As for mist echoes, I believe there is a difference between normal and the higher difficulty, but I'm not sure about easy vs normal. I've had huge differences between runs on the same difficulty setting so it depends on RNG. I just felt I was collecting them faster on the easier setting, but I didn't actually keep track of it or anything.

jem

Just finished this recently, and have several questions. As a gamer of the lowest level (I basically play all games on the easiest level,) I kind of took the linear path through this game (ie. didn't do much in the way of side quests.) After finishing and scattering the ashes and seeing the credits roll, it's given me the option to continue on some additional quests (I think it mentioned valkyries?) Is it worth doing so?

As well, given that I liked this game, should I play the earlier game that is available on PS4 (I believe it's called God of War 3)?

NM

Just finished this recently, and have several questions. As a gamer of the lowest level (I basically play all games on the easiest level,) I kind of took the linear path through this game (ie. didn't do much in the way of side quests.) After finishing and scattering the ashes and seeing the credits roll, it's given me the option to continue on some additional quests (I think it mentioned valkyries?) Is it worth doing so?

As well, given that I liked this game, should I play the earlier game that is available on PS4 (I believe it's called God of War 3)?
Side Quests - mostly battles -> if you like hard battles yes, if you like easy games no.

GOW 3 - absolutely. Very different game and story, but was amazing for its time

jem

Side Quests - mostly battles -> if you like hard battles yes, if you like easy games no.

GOW 3 - absolutely. Very different game and story, but was amazing for its time
Cheers! Any other game recommendations? I've loved the Arkham games, Spider-Man, GOW, the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, and the Witcher 3. I'm currently working through Horizon Zero Dawn (didn't love it at first, but warming to it.)

JohnZSmith27

Cheers! Any other game recommendations? I've loved the Arkham games, Spider-Man, GOW, the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, and the Witcher 3. I'm currently working through Horizon Zero Dawn (didn't love it at first, but warming to it.)
The Tomb Radier games are decent if you're looking for something linear and easy enough. They're dirt cheap now too.

jem

The Tomb Radier games are decent if you're looking for something linear and easy enough. They're dirt cheap now too.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention those - I loved the first two, but the recent one (Shadow of the Tomb raider) was a bit underwhelming.

JohnZSmith27

Ah yes, I forgot to mention those - I loved the first two, but the recent one (Shadow of the Tomb raider) was a bit underwhelming.
Yeah it wasn't great. Found myself just skipping all the cut scenes about half way through so I could just get on with it. The first two were really enjoyable though.

AaronRedDevil

Just started playing the yakuza series this year. My friend had Yakuza 0 and it was a near masterpiece. It's crazy how I completely ignored the yakuza games. I played 0,kiwami (1) and kiwami 2 and then just skipped 345 (the collection was just announced). So I played 6 which is the final game. I highly recommend it. Amazing story, great characters. Detroit is really good too if your looking for something simple.

jem

Just started playing the yakuza series this year. My friend had Yakuza 0 and it was a near masterpiece. It's crazy how I completely ignored the yakuza games. I played 0,kiwami (1) and kiwami 2 and then just skipped 345 (the collection was just announced). So I played 6 which is the final game. I highly recommend it. Amazing story, great characters. Detroit is really good too if your looking for something simple.
Yeah I've been curious to check out those Yakuza games. Cheers!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yakuza 0 is brilliant. I tried Yakuza Kiwumi a few months later and found it very samey and not as good so I couldn't really get into it. There's very little gameplay difference between all the games.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Currently playing HZD. 60+ hours into it and just met the Sun King. All I will say is that Glinthawks can go fecking die.

Ainu

Currently playing HZD. 60+ hours into it and just met the Sun King. All I will say is that Glinthawks can go fecking die.
They're so fecking annoying. It's been some time since I played it, but I believe a single tearblast arrow can knock them down good. They should hover for a short time when performing their ranged attack, exposing their ice canister in the process. Shoot it with a tearblast arrow and it will create an ice explosion, knocking it (and potentially others?) down. Tearblast arrows were my favourite. Low damage but easy to remove components and armour.

JohnZSmith27

They're so fecking annoying. It's been some time since I played it, but I believe a single tearblast arrow can knock them down good. They should hover for a short time when performing their ranged attack, exposing their ice canister in the process. Shoot it with a tearblast arrow and it will create an ice explosion, knocking it (and potentially others?) down. Tearblast arrows were my favourite. Low damage but easy to remove components and armour.
Ropecasters are good for the flying robots so they're easier to take out. Glinthawks are such annoying pr*cks.

diarm

Haven't read through this thread as I don't want to spoil it but I can't believe I waited so long to play this.

What an incredible game!I I've only had it a week but it's already made my top ten games of the decade list and I suspect by the time I'm done it'll be top 2.

Nothing has hooked me like this since Horizon Zero Dawn. Not Zelda, not the Last of Us or The Witcher 3, nothing.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Haven't read through this thread as I don't want to spoil it but I can't believe I waited so long to play this.

What an incredible game!I I've only had it a week but it's already made my top ten games of the decade list and I suspect by the time I'm done it'll be top 2.

Nothing has hooked me like this since Horizon Zero Dawn. Not Zelda, not the Last of Us or The Witcher 3, nothing.
Yep, best game on the PS4 for me, actually accross all platforms this gen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yakuza 0 is brilliant. I tried Yakuza Kiwumi a few months later and found it very samey and not as good so I couldn't really get into it. There's very little gameplay difference between all the games.
I’m the same. By making it a prequel, Yakuza 0 is able to take the plot [relatively] freely and hone more of a focus on Majima, who is by far and away a more compelling protagonist than the stoic, whitewashed Kiryu.

The remastered/older games just don’t feel like hitting the same heights.

b82REZ

I really couldn't get into this game, despite loving previous GoW and similar types of games.

Think I'm going to go back to it this week and give it a proper go.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Finished it the other day, what a game. I'd rank it only below Witcher 3 in terms of PS4 games.

That last Valkyrie was an absolute bastard.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A truly special game. A rare experience that had me in awe nearly throughout. Looking forward to my second playthrough on the new TV.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I gave up on killing Sigrun after like 50 odd attempts. Might take another crack at her after I finish HZD, which just doesn't seem to get over.
What difficulty are you on?

It took me about 10-15 tries but I managed it on normal, at Level 9, after dying once, being using a Resurrection stone thing, and I still only had the tiniest amount of health left when i managed it.

No way i could do it on a higher difficulty level though.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
What difficulty are you on?

It took me about 10-15 tries but I managed it on normal, at Level 9, after dying once, being using a Resurrection stone thing, and I still only had the tiniest amount of health left when i managed it.

No way i could do it on a higher difficulty level though.
Normal difficulty. Tried it on Easy too but to no avail :lol:

I was at level 7+ or maybe 8 though.

Ainu

Normal difficulty. Tried it on Easy too but to no avail :lol:

I was at level 7+ or maybe 8 though.
If you're struggling and you're not yet at the max level, your first priority is getting to level 9. It can be done below that but why make it harder for yourself.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just wanted to update you guys. PS5 update for God of War coming tomorrow.

Coming to you tomorrow on February 2nd, we will be releasing a free patch that replaces the current video graphics mode option with a new default setting that will offer the best of both performance and resolution to our PlayStation 5 players!

ENHANCED PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE
  • Syncs to 60 FPS
  • 4K Checkerboard Resolution*
  • 2160p*
https://sms.playstation.com/stories/enhanced-performance-experience-playstation-5-god-of-war-2018

Bojan11

@The Don sort this guy out. He’s stealing my bloody post. Blackball his address from receiving any mail at all. He deserves that.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Playing it for the first time. Holy fecking shit, why did I wait?!