Gaming God of War (2018)

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Well done man. Valkyries were a bitch right.
Sigrun was definitely a bitch!

I actually finished the whole game and most of the side quests and Valks (except Sigrun) couple of years back. Just started again last month to beat Sigrun and then saw I had a few collectibles left, so finished up those.

Leg-End

Consider me a platinum member too, I like a lot of people in here seemingly stopped playing. I’m putting it down to moving and stuff but I’m glad I waited to pick it back up after the PS5 patch.

Brilliant from start to finish. I didn’t even mind grinding for mist post game, Sigrun didn’t stand a chance by the time I faced her (after gearing up obviously, 4 attempts once ready).

I watched the documentary as well, Cory Barlog comes across as a good dude.

Moby

Dick
Sigrun was definitely a bitch!

I actually finished the whole game and most of the side quests and Valks (except Sigrun) couple of years back. Just started again last month to beat Sigrun and then saw I had a few collectibles left, so finished up those.
You must have known someone who just started playing this recently and made you feel like going back and finishing this.

harshad

Scout
You must have known someone who just started playing this recently and made you feel like going back and finishing this.
Actually it was a combination of things - with seeing a review channel on youtube talk about going back to beat Sigrun; my nephew starting to play it when he was over at our house in Feb; and of course, talking with you while you were playing, while trying not to spoil the game for you :D

Moby

Dick
Actually it was a combination of things - with seeing a review channel on youtube talk about going back to beat Sigrun; my nephew starting to play it when he was over at our house in Feb; and of course, talking with you while you were playing, while trying not to spoil the game for you :D
:lol: Sigrun really stood no chance then.

Last I stopped playing was right after entering Nilfheim and thinking what fresh hell is this. :lol:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Currently on my NG+, harvest difficulty... Not looking forward to the Valkyries tbh... Great game though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Currently on my NG+, harvest difficulty... Not looking forward to the Valkyries tbh... Great game though.
What is a harvest difficulty?

I was on my second play through but got side tracked with other games. Don't know I have it in me to take on the Valkeries. What a game though. Incredible.

Moby

Dick
Don't know I have it in me to take on the Valkeries
I've killed one in my first play through currently ongoing and did it when I was barely lvl 4 at Balanced difficulty. I finished the main story at lvl 5 while still carrying the first talisman you get. Overall I think unless you ramp up the difficulty level to the max the character gets overlevelled easily making things rather easy.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I only did one playthrough and didn't fight any of the valkyries. Did a bit of the other endgame stuff but then got distracted with other games too.

Are you saying I could level to the point where valkyries become easy?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I only did one playthrough and didn't fight any of the valkyries. Did a bit of the other endgame stuff but then got distracted with other games too.

By end game level (on a normal difficulty) most of the valkyries will be fairly easy (comparatively speaking) I'd say...

Sigrun will still be a fecker though.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Holy shit I just got the blades of chaos. It's bringing back all the great memories of smashing cnuts to pieces.

Apokalips

By end game level (on a normal difficulty) most of the valkyries will be fairly easy (comparatively speaking) I'd say...

Sigrun will still be a fecker though.

I beat all of the Valkyries on first playthrough on normal mode and I don't think it ever became easy for me. I didn't really do any serious levelling up though.

I tore my hair out fighting them but the sense of achievement was beautiful.

Moby

Dick
Dodge the feck out when she has the red circle around her head and have Boy shoot electric arrows at her when she is in the air. Get few hits in and get out of her way. Realm Shift + Runic Attacks was the way I beat her.
In short the strat for every single Valk out there? :p

harshad

Scout
In short the strat for every single Valk out there? :p
Kind of :lol:

I actually didnt realise the relevance of red circle around the head of the enemy until I looked up the videos on killing Sigrun. Plus Sigrun has the move sets of all the Valks you encounter before, so need to know when she is doing the triple jump, when she is throwing ice shards at you, when she is going to rain fire etc. and how you need to react to those attacks by her. Few of those can be blocked but she immediately follows it up with an unblockable attack so need to be ready for that.

Why dont you kill a few for yourself and see whether the strat works as well as I make it sound ;)

Moby

Dick
I actually didnt realise the relevance of red circle around the head of the enemy until I looked up the videos on killing Sigrun.
:eek: I looked that up after I killed that dark elf king while doing Alfheim. :lol: Red = get the feck out of the way always. The one time I fought that valk the boy didnt have upgraded armor that allows more damaged to aerial enemies - I guess they put that upgrade in place specifically for valks so I should get better results against next ones.

Why dont you kill a few for yourself and see whether the strat works as well as I make it sound ;)
There are 2-3 of them I can go for directly as of now, probably best to give them a go as I'm lvl 5 now compared to lvl 4 when I fought the last one. Still feel I'm missing some good stuff compared to you guys. :lol:

harshad

Scout
:eek: I looked that up after I killed that dark elf king while doing Alfheim. :lol: Red = get the feck out of the way always. The one time I fought that valk the boy didnt have upgraded armor that allows more damaged to aerial enemies - I guess they put that upgrade in place specifically for valks so I should get better results against next ones.

There are 2-3 of them I can go for directly as of now, probably best to give them a go as I'm lvl 5 now compared to lvl 4 when I fought the last one. Still feel I'm missing some good stuff compared to you guys. :lol:
The best armour you can get in base game is the Mist armour you can craft from materials found in Nilfheim. Needs a bit of grinding though. Most Valks in Midgard can be done at your level. The ones in Muspelheim and Nilfheim are more tricky, particularly the one in Nilfheim as you need to also keep an eye on your mist poison meter along with your health. Not too difficult, just a bit more tricky.

Moby

Dick
I was pretty underwhelmed by the main story in terms of boss fights. But beating the valkyries including their queen Sigrun was well worth it. By far the best part of the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame you can't fight them again once you beat them, as even when I was dying I enjoyed each and every attempt. So fast paced with one move after another. Fantastic boss designs.

After killing Sigrun I saw that real tear was still showing, and for a second I got giddy thinking that fight can be done over and over again, only find some 'Dust of Realm' come out of it. :(

harshad

Scout
I was pretty underwhelmed by the main story in terms of boss fights. But beating the valkyries including their queen Sigrun was well worth it. By far the best part of the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame you can't fight them again once you beat them, as even when I was dying I enjoyed each and every attempt. So fast paced with one move after another. Fantastic boss designs.

After killing Sigrun I saw that real tear was still showing, and for a second I got giddy thinking that fight can be done over and over again, only find some 'Dust of Realm' come out of it. :(
Play NG+ and get Zeus armour

Moby

Dick
Alright, so that's the first platinum trophy I've ever earned! :)

Once the Valkyrie queen was down, the rest was more or less a formality. Left the damn ravens and finally the Nilfheim treasures for last. I thought you only had to open the chests and not close the realm tears, so that was a surprise extra 45k echoes to earn at the end, which ended up a looong grind. :lol:

Overall, all things said, in the end that was a breathtaking experience. The more I played (and more than half the time I spend was after finishing the main story) the more I enjoyed pretty much every part of it. The art design, visuals and cinematics are all stunning. The whole area around the lake of the nine now feels like home after the amount of time I've spend covering literally every inch over there. :lol: That whole area was incredible to just stroll around. But also the visual side of combat (doesn't need to be said how great the actual combat gameplay is) was always stunning, with all the runic attacks, and normal light and heavy attacks with both the axe and blades being brilliant to watch. Overall a really high quality experience in pretty much every aspect, wish they would have come out with DLCs for the locked realms or something. Anyway there's a sequel planned so not much to complain.

I'm glad I caught it on sale, had obviously wanted to play it for a while but kept postponing as I always had a backlog (still do!), but glad I jumped on it as soon as I saw the deal. It's an absolute must play in my opinion.

Devil_3565

Just started this and I am in awe.. A question on the strategy, did you guys finish the main story first and then went about the side quests or did you take your time with the main journey and explored?

Moby

Dick
That was the most ageing few hours of my gaming life!
Yeah it's pretty stressful but I think Kratos was well buffed up at that point. Think the key is in using as many special attacks as possible and have the item that slows down time. Because that bitch is fecking rapid.

amolbhatia50k

Just started this and I am in awe.. A question on the strategy, did you guys finish the main story first and then went about the side quests or did you take your time with the main journey and explored?
I took it slow. Mission, explore a fair bit, rinse and repeat.

amolbhatia50k

I'm usually fine at games but the Valkeries were a step too far for me. Had to lower the difficulty to normal to beat a couple. Felt like a cheap move. Gave up after.

Adore the game but that's one thing I couldn't do.

Moby

Dick
I did it the first way and regretted it. I rushed through the main story which isn't too long anyway and was left doing all the side stuff which I needed for the platinum. Apart from the Valkyrie side quest which is so much fun that you actually wanna do it forever the rest of it can be a chore so best explore as much as you can.

Also helps in making Kratos stronger which would be helpful in the main story. Think I ended up finishing the main story at like level 4 or 5. And discovered the good stuff later on thinking I wish I had it sooner. :lol:

Moby

Dick
I'm usually fine at games but the Valkeries were a step too far for me. Had to lower the difficulty to normal to beat a couple. Felt like a cheap move. Gave up after.

Beating them on Normal is fine. I never felt exhausted from those fights because they were so much fun and the combat is so great in this. I actually wished there was a challenge mode where you could just fight them again and again. Especially the likes of Gondul and Queen Sigrun. Gondul was the second valk I fought after the first one which is like a tutorial. That was a proper ass whooping for a long time. Easily the toughest one apart from Sigrun.

Sigrun can actually be ok if you get a decent RNG but the biggest issue is her health and the amount of ways you can be one shot. Not making a mistake for such a long fight is the main challenge.

harshad

Scout
I would do as many side quests as I could before proceeding on the main story mission.

amolbhatia50k

Beating them on Normal is fine. I never felt exhausted from those fights because they were so much fun and the combat is so great in this. I actually wished there was a challenge mode where you could just fight them again and again. Especially the likes of Gondul and Queen Sigrun. Gondul was the second valk I fought after the first one which is like a tutorial. That was a proper ass whooping for a long time. Easily the toughest one apart from Sigrun.

Sigrun can actually be ok if you get a decent RNG but the biggest issue is her health and the amount of ways you can be one shot. Not making a mistake for such a long fight is the main challenge.
I feel all dirty playin games on normal mode :lol:

RedDevilRoshi

I was ok with the Valkyries. They are pretty predictable and with their moves and once you master the timing with what they are gonna hit you with, then it comes a lot more easier. The last one (I think it’s called Sigrun) though was an absolute slog. Took me at least over 15-20 attempts to beat it. One of my controllers ran out of battery midway through one of the attempts :lol:

Other than that it still is an absolute phenomenal game. Can’t wait for the next one!