Golf 2019

Kag

Fair play to Lowry. He’s played the rest of the field off the course. In the end, only 29 players were under par, so it isn’t like they’ve torn the course apart.

diarm

Fair play to Lowry. He’s played the rest of the field off the course. In the end, only 29 players were under par, so it isn’t like they’ve torn the course apart.
Agreed. -9 for Fleetwood was great golf and probably a fair score to win the tournament. Lowry just played like a god for large parts of the week.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Well let’s define normal? Anyone over say an 18 handicap, which is a bad to average player would hit an 9 iron at least 120 yards, and that’s being very harsh. I’d say most male golfers can hit a 9 iron 130-140.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Happy to see Lowry win. Looks like your everyman. Gotta root for those. Prolly pounding a Guinness as we speak.
Yeah, happy to see him win it, just seems like a genuinely nice fella who doesn't take it all too serious like some of them. Didn't he hand out Guinness to some fans at an American event before?

diarm

Well let’s define normal? Anyone over say an 18 handicap, which is a bad to average player would hit an 9 iron at least 120 yards, and that’s being very harsh. I’d say most male golfers can hit a 9 iron 130-140.
I said human being.

Average distances for a 9 iron:

Mens (short/medium/long hitter)
95-115-130

Womans (short/medium/long hitter)
55-70-95

I'd say that works out a little under 100 yards on average.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I said human being.

95-115-130

55-70-95

100 yards would be really short, about 125 would be normal I'd say. Then 140-50 would be a big hitter. Assuming we are not including useless players and just focusing on 15 handicaps and below.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I said human being.

95-115-130

55-70-95

Where is that from? Seems a little dated tbh. Always go for 7 iron average is 150yards then club higher 10 yards lower, club higher 10 years further. 10-13 yards a club is about average.

Big Andy

Bloke
Where is that from? Seems a little dated tbh. Always go for 7 iron average is 150yards then club higher 10 yards lower, club higher 10 years further. 10-13 yards a club is about average.
That’s about right for your average golfer...I’m 150 roughly for a 7 iron, add 10 yards either way and it’s a club up or down...

Carolina Red

Staff
Either way... guys carrying 198 and hitting it through the green with 9 iron and PW is crazy. I don’t care if there is a 25 mph wind.

With the wind the hole was playing between 175-180. So they’re still sitting there thinking “okay play it around 175... hand me the 9/Wedge”. 175 is my 4 hybrid.

Average distances chart for mere mortal men...

Here’s the PGA Tour averages...

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Very happy to see Lowry win it. He’s always been a likeable guy and it’s good to see him get one after losing in such a bad way a couple years ago at the 2016 US Open.

Btw, here’s his yardage carry chart...

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Either way... guys carrying 198 and hitting it through the green with 9 iron and PW is crazy. I don’t care if there is a 25 mph wind.

With the wind the hole was playing between 175-180. So they’re still sitting there thinking “okay play it around 175... hand me the 9/Wedge”. 175 is my 4 hybrid.

Average distances chart for mere mortal men...

Here’s the PGA Tour averages...
Oh yeah the pros are mental, but they sounded insanely mental the way it was stated earlier on.

They know how to play courses, their club management and distance management is on another level. Notice how they don't always whip the driver out on the tee, they know they can make the green in 2 with irons. I've started to do it when I can and it's improved my game massively.

Carolina Red

Staff
I've started to do it when I can and it's improved my game massively.
I’m with you on that! I go 5 wood off the tee more often than not on par 4 and 5’s.

Also, learning that you don’t have to hit it as far as you can every shot has improved my scores immensely. Sometimes I’ll divide my distance to the green by 2 if it’s a distance I know I can’t make in 1, then hit 2 good shots with the same short iron and get it on the green with a decent to short put for par.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I’m with you on that! I go 5 wood off the tee more often than not on par 4 and 5’s.

Also, learning that you don’t have to hit it as far as you can every shot has improved my scores immensely. Sometimes I’ll divide my distance to the green by 2 if it’s a distance I know I can’t make in 1, then hit 2 good shots with the same short iron and get it on the green with a decent to short put for par.
Yeah I'm the same, the lads always laugh at me if I don't tee off with the driver or wood, but once they duff it into the trees and then take their third off the 2 it's not so stupid. Green in 2 for me, green in 4 for them! 7 putts usually destroy me though :lol:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Big one for me was not always trying to land it at the flag or simply on the green. Sometimes laying it up is a much better outcome. such simple things hey.

Carolina Red

Staff
Big one for me was not always trying to land it at the flag or simply on the green. Sometimes laying it up is a much better outcome. such simple things hey.
Yep. I found that my chipping game wasn’t strong enough to get it where I wanted it, and my long game not strong enough to put it on the green, so I found a way to compromise. Say I’m 220 out... that’s 2 full Approach Wedges or a full 8 iron and a full Pitching Wedge. That way I’m not stuck in half swinging and finessing a chip shot. My scores are 4-5 shots lower using that tactic. Just takes a little more planning around the course.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah I'm the same, the lads always laugh at me if I don't tee off with the driver or wood, but once they duff it into the trees and then take their third off the 2 it's not so stupid. Green in 2 for me, green in 4 for them! 7 putts usually destroy me though :lol:
Just remind them that only 18 shots out of a par of 72 are tee shots.

mariachi-19

Yep. I found that my chipping game wasn’t strong enough to get it where I wanted it, and my long game not strong enough to put it on the green, so I found a way to compromise. Say I’m 220 out... that’s 2 full Approach Wedges or a full 8 iron and a full Pitching Wedge. That way I’m not stuck in half swinging and finessing a chip shot. My scores are 4-5 shots lower using that tactic. Just takes a little more planning around the course.
I feel like it also takes alot less pressure off you to feel like you have to hit the cover off the ball.

I've become big on hitting a 4 iron off the tee as well and laying up in the fairway especially if there's a dog leg. My driving accuracy is about as good as Tigers so I try to play to my strengths.

I should go and get lessons. I've been told I have a pretty swing but lack control.

Carolina Red

Staff
I feel like it also takes alot less pressure off you to feel like you have to hit the cover off the ball.
Absolutely right. That feeling leads to overswingung which leads to missed shots.

A good, full, smooth swing that’s within yourself... to me, that’s how I think I need to play. When I overdo it is when I get myself in trouble.

mariachi-19

Absolutely right. That feeling leads to overswingung which leads to missed shots.

A good, full, smooth swing that’s within yourself... to me, that’s how I think I need to play. When I overdo it is when I get myself in trouble.
I feel like my short play is my best asset which is generally down to feeling alot more in control because im not making full shots.

Carolina Red

Staff
I feel like my short play is my best asset which is generally down to feeling alot more in control because im not making full shots.
Same here. I’ve beaten guys this year that outdrive me by 50+ yards because of the short game.

When you think about it, the majority of your shots are approaching, next to, or on the green. Tee shots shouldn’t be the priority... but people like to see the ball hit far.

Carolina Red

Staff
@mariachi-19 - my short game used to be shit because I didn’t practice it that much. I got my tail whipped a couple years ago by a guy I coach with who is 30 years older than me because he was deadly within 130 yards of a green. He started giving me advice about how to play the game and I’ve followed it ever since.

Carolina Red

Staff
This is great...
On Sunday night at Royal Portrush, Lowry was crowned the British Open champion, and paid tribute to the man who walked by his side and who, apart from discharging the toting duties, made him laugh and kept him sane when the pressure was at its zenith.

Lowry admitted: “Bo has been incredible the last year. He’s brought a new lease of life to me. He is so thrilled. He was unbelievable today. He kept on my back all day, kept talking to me, he kept in my ear. I kept on telling him how nervous I was, how scared I was, how much I didn’t want to mess it up.

“All I could think about was walking down 18 with a four- or five-shot lead. And lucky I got to do that. He was great at keeping me in the moment today. He’s been great for me. Obviously we formed a great relationship and it was amazing for him today. I’ve known Bo a long time. He’s now become a very good friend of mine. And to be able to share it with someone so close was very special.
—————————————————————
So what did he say as the pair shared a hug on the 18th fairway?

“Just stand there, have a look around and enjoy this. We enjoyed it going down 17. In fact going down 17 [on Saturday] he said to me, ‘let’s enjoy the next 30 minutes’. And that was Saturday. It was awesome. Then we did the same again today. He said the exact same thing.”

And they did.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/go...tion-of-calm-caddie-martin-1.3963288?mode=amp

Last edited:

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I was at Portrush yesterday for the day, my first time at a big golf tournament. I enjoyed the day and atmosphere, and was delighted with the winner (though it's a pity McIlroy couldn't have been there in the final day too). Howeve, I saw just 6 of Lowry's shots, such were the crowds. It was quite frustrating, we had to go 5/6 holes ahead to get a decent vantage point, and even then it was a struggle. I saw him hit it into the green on 18, but have absolutely no idea where it landed. I'll have to watch the highlights later on today to piece it all together.

I'd like to go to another major Sunday, maybe one where a home favourite isn't in the final pairing with no challenge coming from another pairing on the course, but yesterday didn't do much to disprove my belief that golf is much better watched on the TV.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I was at Portrush yesterday for the day, my first time at a big golf tournament. I enjoyed the day and atmosphere, and was delighted with the winner (though it's a pity McIlroy couldn't have been there in the final day too). Howeve, I saw just 6 of Lowry's shots, such were the crowds. It was quite frustrating, we had to go 5/6 holes ahead to get a decent vantage point, and even then it was a struggle. I saw him hit it into the green on 18, but have absolutely no idea where it landed. I'll have to watch the highlights later on today to piece it all together.

I'd like to go to another major Sunday, maybe one where a home favourite isn't in the final pairing with no challenge coming from another pairing on the course, but yesterday didn't do much to disprove my belief that golf is much better watched on the TV.
Been to a few now, I much prefer to early on and then watch the finish at home. I went on Friday and seen everyone I wanted to see sitting sat the 13th/17th grandstand. Followed a few favourites then watched the rest at home.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

Wouldn't be in a rush to go on a Sunday again at the Open. Been twice and it's not really enjoyable, you've no real idea whats going on and miss too much. Thu/Friday is much more enjoyable days to go and actually watch. Prefer watching the weekend on tv now. Having said that, tempted to go Sunday at the Masters next year as been offered a package for it. Mate only got tickets for the Sunday.

Offsideagain

Worthy winner and Tommy played well too particularly given the conditions on the last day. You guys debating how far to hit each club are missing the point. Golf is about control not muscle. How many top pro’s went OB yesterday? They couldn’t control the ball as well as Shane did.

It was so so nice to watch Golf without the ‘Git in the Hole’ muppets spoiling it. As Radar said in commentary, ‘This is a classy event’.

Kag

There’s no doubt that watching the golf on TV is better from a viewing perspective. But the atmosphere there over the weekend is brilliant. I’ve been to the last two Open’s (not this year) and the buzz when Tiger reached the top of the leaderboard on the back nine last year was unreal. We camped over the full weekend and had a giant piss up, really. Carnoustie is also brilliant from a vantage point of view. We got within metres of all the top guys, even at the weekend. By the time Molinari was on 18 we were wankered so watched it back at the big screen on the bean bags.

Birkdale in 2018 was much more difficult to get a good spot, I found. I’ll never understand the guys that follow the leaders around the course, mind you. It’s a thankless task. Get a good spot behind a tee box/near the greens and you can watch about four or five different groups.