Golf 2021

Carolina Red

Staff
Yup . For all the hype about the Ryder cup the tournament needs to be competitive for it to work . With Europe having been on a nice run it’s good that US won but the one sidedness made it really boring
Speak for yourself. It was great.
Where is the next generation of European players going to come from? This side is ancient and the generation of Westwood, Garcia, Poulter, Casey, Rose is moving on, where are the stalwarts of the side going to come from? Rahm and McIlroy are here to stay, but aside from those 2 you can almost see the next 10 as being almost interchange every 2 years, which indicates a real lack of strength.

Could be a very bad run of RCs coming up.
Y’all have Rahm, McIlroy, Hovland, Hatton, Fitzpatrick, Lowery, Fleetwood to roll with.

slyadams

Y’all have Rahm, McIlroy, Hovland, Hatton, Fitzpatrick, Lowery, Fleetwood to roll with.
I don’t think apart from Rahm and McIlroy that group are on the level of this US side or European sides of the past 20 years.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
That was a beating to the point of embarrassment. But it's also no real surprise. The American team are simply far, far stronger. All but one of the Americans are in the top 20 in the world, with only Scottie Scheffler being outside it at 21. Compare that with 4 Europeans inside the top 20, the next 7 spread throughout the top 50 and and Bernd Wiesberger outside that at 62 in the world.

Realistically, expecting anything other than a big US win was being very optimistic. Now, while this was the strongest US team on paper ever and a relatively weak European team, rankings wise, the Europeans have regularly got wins, where they would have been ranked lower. The US now has a strong team and structure that would suggest they will be very hard to beat in the near future.

Balljy

I don’t think apart from Rahm and McIlroy that group are on the level of this US side or European sides of the past 20 years.
Hovland could definitely get there, he's got some talent. Agreed that it's looking very sparse though. The fact that the 3 winners in the singles were Westwood, Poulter and Mcllroy says everything about how this Ryder cup has gone for the youngsters.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Speak for yourself . It wasn’t great at all and because of how one sided it was the singles had no buzz at all . It was a procession all of Sunday

Carolina Red

Staff
If it makes you feel better, recall the 2018 Ryder Cup, where Europe won 17.5 to 10.5.

Tiger/Phil were a combined 0-6. Of the guys who played for the US on this year’s team, they were a combined 11-13-1 with 9 of those 11 wins were between Thomas (4) Spieth (3) and Finau (2). Johnson went 1-4, Koepka 1-2, and DeChambeau 0-3.

What I’m saying is, a lot can change in a couple years. This Euro team might end up surprising people in Rome.
Speak for yourself .
I am!

slyadams

If it makes you feel better, recall the 2018 Ryder Cup, where Europe won 17.5 to 10.5.

Tiger/Phil were a combined 0-6. Of the guys who played for the US on this year’s team, they were a combined 11-13-1 with 9 of those 11 wins were between Thomas (4) Spieth (3) and Finau (2). Johnson went 1-4, Koepka 1-2, and DeChambeau 0-3.

What I’m saying is, a lot can change in a couple years. This Euro team might end up surprising people in Rome.

I am!
It certainly can, but my concern is the success of the past 15-20 years has been built on a core of players that are basically now finished. The US team now have a core that could last 15-20 years. We'll need a healthy crop of new young Europeans to compete against this group.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The US produced the greatest performance in the Ryder Cup I’ve certainly seen. They were outstanding and a joy to watch. I was worried I’d feel depressed & disappointed on Sunday, but actually I feel as if it’s been a delight watching the incredible skills of their incredible players. On the whole they seem a likable group as well (with a few notable exceptions…) Thomas, Spieth, Shauffele, Johnson, etc are all some of golfs good guys.
We can criticize certain decisions the Europeans made, but at the end of the day the Yanks have far superior players and were just on a different level.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Can we also give some love to Wisconsin's pride and joy, Whistling Straits? How can you not love a course that makes the worlds best look like us normal hackers once in a while.

Rams

Can we also give some love to Wisconsin's pride and joy, Whistling Straits? How can you not love a course that makes the worlds best look like us normal hackers once in a while.
Hackers? The Yanks seemed to play the stuff as easily if they were playing from the short stuff.

Rams

Where is the next generation of European players going to come from? This side is ancient and the generation of Westwood, Garcia, Poulter, Casey, Rose is moving on, where are the stalwarts of the side going to come from? Rahm and McIlroy are here to stay, but aside from those 2 you can almost see the next 10 as being almost interchange every 2 years, which indicates a real lack of strength.

Could be a very bad run of RCs coming up.
There’s a lot of talent from the continent coming through so the situation isn’t as bad as your describing, but there’s a lack of talent coming from the British isles or at least not making it to the next level. Seems like more young players from Europe need to relocate to the US at a young age and enroll in their college system to keep up.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Rahm, Hovland, Fleetwood, Rob McIntyre, Detry.

They're all quite young, and that's without really thinking about it.

Hovland and Rahm played well this week tbh. Fleetwood was average but I'd expect him to get better.

Other 2 are well capable golfers who are still coming through properly.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Interesting times for Golf at the moment.

The Saudis aren’t going away. Getting Greg Norman and now Slugger White on board are big statements of intent. I don’t think it’s any doubt, with the money behind them, that they’ll be a player of some sort going forward.

The PGA Tour have already responded with the PIP and some Co-sanctioned events with the European Tour. I can see the PIP growing as the years go on and more and more Co-sanctioned events.

The European Tour seemed to be on its knees during the pandemic. It remains to be seen if it can thrive again even with the new investment from DP World. I can see it becoming a more and more globalised tour (I know it’s pretty global already) in an effort to compete somewhat with the PGA tour and whatever the Saudis come up with.

It’ll be really interesting see what happens with world rankings and majors if the Saudi’s poach a few big names. At the end of the day, money talks. It’s easy to say, the majors could kill the Saudi Golf league by banning players who play in it. But the majors all want the top players there too.

Carolina Red

Staff
There is a 95% probability his second drive was also in the rough
One of them was. They eventually both got it into the fairway while also straight bombing it.

Bryson won the long drive with a ball that left the tee at 205 mph. Went 400+yards.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
One of them was. They eventually both got it into the fairway while also straight bombing it.

Bryson won the long drive with a ball that left the tee at 205 mph. Went 400+yards.
Thin air helps, but that launch speed is hilarious.

Hoof the ball

What in the living f**k did I just see?

Tiger and his son, Charlie, who is only 12 years of age in the PNC Championship. They finished second!
Second behind John Daly and his son, who is 18, by a single stroke.

The amount of power Woods' kid has in his drive at 12 is unreal :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What in the living f**k did I just see?

Tiger and his son, Charlie, who is only 12 years of age in the PNC Championship. They finished second!
Second behind John Daly and his son, who is 18, by a single stroke.

The amount of power Woods' kid has in his drive at 12 is unreal :lol:

The duo also reeled off something like eleven birdies in a row. Even in a scramble, that’s impressive.