Golf 2022

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
@Carolina Red @calodo2003

Hey guys! Hope you don't mind me tagging you for a personal update. I was the guy who was farting around with a 2-iron and debating which club to replace.

Managed to spend more or less the entirety of last week playing golf with my dad, who is an obsessive that taught me everything I know and who knows my swing inside and out. He's also very good friends with a number of pro shop owners so he convinced them to let him bring a bunch of clubs here to Portugal for me to try out, and he also brought a Trackman equivalent so I could gather a bit more data.

I've made a couple tweaks to my approach with the 2 iron that have given me more length and consistency (teeing it up higher, focusing on trying to feel like I'm sweeping the club head more or less over my back foot), and I feel pretty comfortable with it at this point - my usual shot shape with long irons is a power fade and somewhat bizarrely I hit this club straighter (carrying about 255 usually). What's encouraging is my typical miss at this point is I hit it thin, but even then it's usually going more or less straight and typically carrying somewhere on the order of 150-200 depending on how crap the contact is.

I did try out a driving hybrid iron (not the exact one you recommended @Carolina Red but something seemingly more or less equivalent) but didn't notice too much difference honestly compared to my stock 2I. The biggest thing though was I tried out a driver with far less loft and a more neutral face compared to the one I'd had before and it was hugely helpful, so I think that's worth keeping in the bag. I've also got my hands on a 3 hybrid that I generally feel much more comfortable on with long fairway shots compared to the stock 3 or 5 wood I had, so I think I'll be proceeding with just a driver as a pure wood.

Thus, currently what I'm running in the bag is driver, 2 iron, 3 hybrid, 4/5/6/7/8/9 iron, PW, 52, 56, 60, putter. Still haven't had a chance to play around with lower bounce wedges but it's on my to-do list!

FriedClams

The next edition of the match has tiger and rory v Jordan and Justin. Should be a good watch.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
@Carolina Red @calodo2003

Hey guys! Hope you don't mind me tagging you for a personal update. I was the guy who was farting around with a 2-iron and debating which club to replace.

Managed to spend more or less the entirety of last week playing golf with my dad, who is an obsessive that taught me everything I know and who knows my swing inside and out. He's also very good friends with a number of pro shop owners so he convinced them to let him bring a bunch of clubs here to Portugal for me to try out, and he also brought a Trackman equivalent so I could gather a bit more data.

I've made a couple tweaks to my approach with the 2 iron that have given me more length and consistency (teeing it up higher, focusing on trying to feel like I'm sweeping the club head more or less over my back foot), and I feel pretty comfortable with it at this point - my usual shot shape with long irons is a power fade and somewhat bizarrely I hit this club straighter (carrying about 255 usually). What's encouraging is my typical miss at this point is I hit it thin, but even then it's usually going more or less straight and typically carrying somewhere on the order of 150-200 depending on how crap the contact is.

I did try out a driving hybrid iron (not the exact one you recommended @Carolina Red but something seemingly more or less equivalent) but didn't notice too much difference honestly compared to my stock 2I. The biggest thing though was I tried out a driver with far less loft and a more neutral face compared to the one I'd had before and it was hugely helpful, so I think that's worth keeping in the bag. I've also got my hands on a 3 hybrid that I generally feel much more comfortable on with long fairway shots compared to the stock 3 or 5 wood I had, so I think I'll be proceeding with just a driver as a pure wood.

Thus, currently what I'm running in the bag is driver, 2 iron, 3 hybrid, 4/5/6/7/8/9 iron, PW, 52, 56, 60, putter. Still haven't had a chance to play around with lower bounce wedges but it's on my to-do list!
Hybrids will give you more of a margin of error out of multiple lies than even a cavity backed 2 iron (I am assuming you aren’t playing with more of a blade iron).

Sorry it took me so long to see this post!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hybrids will give you more of a margin of error out of multiple lies than even a cavity backed 2 iron (I am assuming you aren’t playing with more of a blade iron).

Sorry it took me so long to see this post!
No worries at all mate!

Not playing a blade 2 iron - definitely in the cavity-backed camp. I still hit it further than my 3 hybrid, but as you say the latter club is far far more forgiving. I've more or less calibrated my 2 iron swing to be tee-dependent - but at this point it's more reliable for me than 5 wood in terms of fairway finding without sacrificing distance.

I've been working on the range at trying to hit it off the deck - but frankly the more time I spend on it the more I conclude that the upside isn't really there. If I'm in a position where I'd consider it distance-wise I'd generally rather hit a stinger with my 4 iron or try to hit something without spin with my 3H, even on a perfectly flat lie.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I see they’re chasing Greg Norman out of LIV hahaha

Actually seeing Rory’s comments, it must absolutely boil Norman’s piss that Tiger came along immediately after his period and decimated his influence on the game. If there’s a bigger narccist in sports than Ronaldo and Jordan, it’s Norman.

Rory calls it out that it’s not Greg Norman that has done anything for golf, but actually Tiger. ‘Tiger is the reason we are playing for what we are and he doesn’t need to thank anybody’.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
@calodo2003

playing streamsong next weekend, have you played there?
Couple of times years back. Haven't played the newest course though. Absolute quality courses. Somewhat similar due to local grass / sand topography, but each course is laid out so you will hit absolutely every shot in your bag & then some.

I believe it is still caddies. I didn't know the first time & had a huge staff bag thinking I was just going to be in a cart. Thankfully they had a carry bag to transfer all my shit into so the poor caddie wasn't too burdened.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Course (Seaside) being played this week on the PGA Tour used to be a home course for me when I worked at the resort. We were able to play in the afternoons of daylight savings time for ten bucks. Insane.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Purchased my first real (I’m taking this shit seriously) clubs this week. Picked up at 60 and 54 mg3 Taylormade.

I don’t have a 60-58 club in the bag and my SW is some piece of shit I got in a group set from Kmart 15 years ago. Played around with jaws, high toe and vokeys but found the mg’s to be my preference in terms of placement and spin. I actually didn’t like the high toes at all even though it’s a much more forgiving club.

Next lot of clubs will probably be PW through to 7 iron as I’m comfortable hitting these. I’ve been hitting the stealths, rogues, p790’s in the sim but if any of you have suggestions for irons im all for it.

My current preference is the p790’s for look and feel but the Rogue’s hit cleaner off the face. My concern is I’ll grow out of the rogues more quickly than the p790’s. I’m contemplating the stealth’s for irons 6-4 when the time comes as I need more forgiveness there but I don’t actually like them in the shorter irons.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Near impossible to get in the ballot but easy on the resale market. You can buy packages from travel companies but they charge nearly as much as the touts but disguise it with throwing in a hotel and transfers etc. I'm heading next year but unsure if I'll try and sort it myself or do it through a company. Tying it in with a trip to play Sawgrass, Kiawah, Harbour Town and Pinehurst.
Finally sorted this yesterday. Booked Sawgrass, Harbour Town and Kiawah along with Tuesday and Thursday at the Masters. Treating my Dad for his 60th. Sadly wasn’t able to squeeze in Pinehurst, didnt work out logistics wise unless played after the Masters but need to fly back to the UK on the Friday so can’t manage. Wound up booking it all through a company. Was much less hassle than trying to do it all individually, some of the courses wouldn’t let me book times more than X in advance etc. Haven’t swung a club for a few months so hoping this motivates me to go to the range soon :D

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Finally sorted this yesterday. Booked Sawgrass, Harbour Town and Kiawah along with Tuesday and Thursday at the Masters. Treating my Dad for his 60th. Sadly wasn’t able to squeeze in Pinehurst, didnt work out logistics wise unless played after the Masters but need to fly back to the UK on the Friday so can’t manage. Wound up booking it all through a company. Was much less hassle than trying to do it all individually, some of the courses wouldn’t let me book times more than X in advance etc. Haven’t swung a club for a few months so hoping this motivates me to go to the range soon :D
That sounds fecking amazing! You...uh... need a third? :wenger: