Golf 2022

FriedClams

What a brilliant shot by Fitzpatrick out of the bunker under that pressure. I backed Scheffler at 4/1 in running but even I clapped that one. Great tournament, love the majors.
most pros would land that on the green. If his ball was a yard to the right, different story

diarm

What a thoroughly decent family. Couldn't help but smile seeing how happy they all were! Just normal, salt of the earth people who couldn't quite believe what was happening!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Will have to go down as one of the greatest bunker shots in US Open history
One of the greatest US Open shots, not just bunker.

What is impressive was that he never seemed to consider just getting it back on the fairway to take double out of play. He & his caddie committed so early to the shot & never wavered. Then it sounds like he hit it fat, but it had the distance.

Did you see how far up he was choked up on the club? Almost to the steel.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
most pros would land that on the green. If his ball was a yard to the right, different story
Gotta disagree a bit. He had to move it considerably left to right with the ball a bit above his feet, which meant he was choked up almost to the steel. There was some sand behind the ball as well, you could hear it on impact. It wasn’t straight forward, especially under the circumstances.

FriedClams

Gotta disagree a bit. He had to move it considerably left to right with the ball a bit above his feet, which meant he was choked up almost to the steel. There was some sand behind the ball as well, you could hear it on impact. It wasn’t straight forward, especially under the circumstances.
yeah obviously, on The 18th with a one shot lead and THAT shot… it’s amazing. Most pros are pretty good at fading it from that distance out of a bunker. Landing it within 20 feet with that pressure though… yeah, it adds to it being one of the best bunker shots ever… I was just meaning in a general sense, as all these guys are nuts out of the sand.

FriedClams

There’s not many dislikeable personalities in the top 20 of that leaderboard. Big weekend for PGA vs Liv, highest ranked liv player was Dustin Johnson 10 strokes behind tied 24th

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
yeah obviously, on The 18th with a one shot lead and THAT shot… it’s amazing. Most pros are pretty good at fading it from that distance out of a bunker. Landing it within 20 feet with that pressure though… yeah, it adds to it being one of the best bunker shots ever… I was just meaning in a general sense, as all these guys are nuts out of the sand.
Yeah, say that to Jon Rahm!

FriedClams

Well done to Fitzpatrick for nailing that standard bunker shot under enormous pressure then.
my Comment was a little insensitive, apologies. Definitely not a standard shot by any means, but with everything at stake, it’ll definitely go down in history as one of the most clutch bunker shots of all time.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Id take a 160 yard shot from the sand with a full swing than a 40 yard shot, every day of the week!
Rahm almost rolled his 160 yard shot back into his own footprints yesterday. Hell, he almost plugged it into the side of the bunker & took an unplayable.

But you are correct. The hardest shot in in golf is the 40 yard bunker shot. Easiest way to play it is with a nine iron & slice the hell out of the ball à la Seve.

Carolina Red

Staff
One of the greatest US Open shots, not just bunker.

What is impressive was that he never seemed to consider just getting it back on the fairway to take double out of play. He & his caddie committed so early to the shot & never wavered. Then it sounds like he hit it fat, but it had the distance.

Did you see how far up he was choked up on the club? Almost to the steel.
1) yes - ballsy as all hell and it seemed like there wasn’t a second thought about it. Amazing confidence in what should have been such an uncertain / pressure filled situation.

2) yes I noticed that! Dude has amazing club control and definitely knows his game… that said, that’s what I’d heard about him coming into this week… that he’s meticulous about charting his shots and has basically a whole encyclopedia of every round he’s ever played.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
1) yes - ballsy as all hell and it seemed like there wasn’t a second thought about it. Amazing confidence in what should have been such an uncertain / pressure filled situation.

2) yes I noticed that! Dude has amazing club control and definitely knows his game… that said, that’s what I’d heard about him coming into this week… that he’s meticulous about charting his shots and has basically a whole encyclopedia of every round he’s ever played.
Yeah, they were talking about that on the sky broadcast. Apparently it goes back over fifteen years. That’s incredible.

FriedClams

The commentators have been bigging up Fitzpatrick for a while too, I guess word has spread that his game has seriously gone up a level as he’s now in those peak golfer years

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I am between two minds on the Open Championship. I would love to see the elements play a key role, but I am torn between a wet tournament v. a dried out course. I am leaning dry as that’s when the Old Course shows its charm.

FriedClams

I am between two minds on the Open Championship. I would love to see the elements play a key role, but I am torn between a wet tournament v. a dried out course. I am leaning dry as that’s when the Old Course shows its charm.
if the weather cooperates, I think we may see a few rounds in the 50s

FriedClams

Min woo lee is a very attractive bet for this. He’s excellent links courses (won the 2021 Scottish open) and has built up some really good major experience.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why would you want a wet tournament? You want a links course burnt out with a strong breeze. That’s by far the best way to protect those courses.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Why would you want a wet tournament? You want a links course burnt out with a strong breeze. That’s by far the best way to protect those courses.
No doubt, but it does make me a bit happy seeing the golfers have to deal with storms & gale force winds. Call me a bit of a hedonist.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
another of the new age “I’m not good enough to compete each week so feck you guys I’m going to play where they pay me good for being shit”

Brooks won’t be missed… but watch the reoccurrence of the Bryson v Brooks fued to try and get the punters interested.
Brooks only cares about majors anyway.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Imagine tiger does a Tom Watson esque run at st Andrews. Would be epic.

edcunited1878

Brooks can now play with his younger brother for shits and giggles. He's set for life with the guaranteed money, plus the tournament money from playing 54 holes of guaranteed golf.

Another player who doesn't need to focus on the full tournament schedule and can save himself for Majors.

edcunited1878

And the Patrick Reed, DeChamdouche, and Koepka manufactured drama will be something the PGA Tour doesn't need to worry about anymore. Those 3 dudes will literally get on each other's nerves and then it will be unauthentically amplified just to make noise.

FriedClams

The pga are going to increase purses for marquee events and also have events with no cut? Why make your tour more like your competitor?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
And the Patrick Reed, DeChamdouche, and Koepka manufactured drama will be something the PGA Tour doesn't need to worry about anymore. Those 3 dudes will literally get on each other's nerves and then it will be unauthentically amplified just to make noise.
Its WWE and LIV will collapse when one of them throws it in and returns to the PGA.