Golf 2023

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Colin throwing darts in Hawaii.

Such a good player and when’s he on, pretty close to peak tiger with his irons. If he can get a bit more distance and sharpen up his putting, he’ll be in the top echelon for a long time.

Skåre Willoch

Insane collapse, that. 0 bogeys for 67 holes - then all of a sudden 3 in a row.
Odds of -20 000 and 6 shots clear at the turn, lost by 2.

ChrisNelson

What a putt by Rory to win in Dubai - a good 15/20 feet for birdie on the 18th and he goes ahead of Patrick Reed of all people!

I imagine that's one of the more satisfying victories of his career!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What a putt by Rory to win in Dubai - a good 15/20 feet for birdie on the 18th and he goes ahead of Patrick Reed of all people!

fecking beautiful.

Reed is a prick

Baxter

Especially after the tree incident yesterday.

Ainu

It felt like it was written in the stars that this should go to a play-off between those two. Thank feck it didn't happen and McIlroy made that putt!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Reed reminds me of the feckers who always wore long pants in the middle of summer in AJGA tournaments. Somehow they never lost a ball in the rough, trees, etc.

slyadams

Reed cheating again in Dubai. Sees a ball up a tree and tells the referee "that's 100% my ball". Replays show the ball went into a completely different tree.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Apologies if this has been discussed in last year's thread and I missed it, but curious to know what everyone thinks of YouTube golfers getting major deals? Specifically Good Good signed with Callaway, a couple of their alumni signed with TaylorMade, and I think even Bob Does Sports is also with Callaway now?

It feels a bit cynical to me insofar as these brands are being opportunistic, but I'm also not some luddite who can't appreciate the influence these YouTubers have had in getting younger people into the sport.

FriedClams

Apologies if this has been discussed in last year's thread and I missed it, but curious to know what everyone thinks of YouTube golfers getting major deals? Specifically Good Good signed with Callaway, a couple of their alumni signed with TaylorMade, and I think even Bob Does Sports is also with Callaway now?

It feels a bit cynical to me insofar as these brands are being opportunistic, but I'm also not some luddite who can't appreciate the influence these YouTubers have had in getting younger people into the sport.
Nail on the head here, nothing more nothing less. They have a decent sized adult following aswell. Look at how much money the youtube boxers have made versus guys in the top 5-10 in any weight division of boxing. Why would you sponsor Carlos Adames when KSI can get millions of people to watch.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nail on the head here, nothing more nothing less. They have a decent sized adult following aswell. Look at how much money the youtube boxers have made versus guys in the top 5-10 in any weight division of boxing. Why would you sponsor Carlos Adames when KSI can get millions of people to watch.
Yeah I actually enjoy Good Good's content quite a bit - I'm probably slightly better than Steve but worse than the others. I can empathise though with the thousands if not millions of golfers who are better than me but nowhere close to a sponsorship deal though.

I do think that breaking golf out of some of the more archaic traditions is healthy though - so for me I very much appreciate the value channels like those bring to the table.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Who are these people?

FriedClams

Yeah I actually enjoy Good Good's content quite a bit - I'm probably slightly better than Steve but worse than the others. I can empathise though with the thousands if not millions of golfers who are better than me but nowhere close to a sponsorship deal though.

I do think that breaking golf out of some of the more archaic traditions is healthy though - so for me I very much appreciate the value channels like those bring to the table.
alex etches club reviews are great if you haven’t come across him already. Deserves a better following IMO.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
alex etches club reviews are great if you haven’t come across him already. Deserves a better following IMO.
I'll check him out!

Side note, based on the video on his landing page along with the broader consensus, it seems like the new Callaway drivers are incredible. Anyone here given one a whirl just yet?

FriedClams

I'll check him out!

Side note, based on the video on his landing page along with the broader consensus, it seems like the new Callaway drivers are incredible. Anyone here given one a whirl just yet?

I have, it’s not enough for me to take my g425 out the bag on forgiveness but it was 9 yards further

mariachi-19

https://www.youtube.com/@GoodGood

Good Good are a group of content creators who range from a former pro to somewhere like +5-7 (then one guy who is in the +15 range). They do a bunch of different formats, challenges, etc.

https://golf.com/news/callaway-announces-partnership-good-good-golf/
Genuinely, Garret was the most naturally talented of anybody that’s been on good good and I have zero doubt he could make pro on the pga if he focused on it. There’s more than a few pros that have played with them when Garret has been dialed in that look seriously impressed… however, I love watching Kwon and formerly Grant because they’re both methodical in execution. (Still watch Grant’s personal channel).

Former member Micah Morris is too inconsistent. He’s either shit hot or hot trash and his putting needs serious work. Bit like a better version of Rick Shiels.

Back on the real golf entertainment - this is cool.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CogcSUONqa-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Genuinely, Garret was the most naturally talented of anybody that’s been on good good and I have zero doubt he could make pro on the pga if he focused on it. There’s more than a few pros that have played with them when Garret has been dialed in that look seriously impressed… however, I love watching Kwon and formerly Grant because they’re both methodical in execution. (Still watch Grant’s personal channel).

Former member Micah Morris is too inconsistent. He’s either shit hot or hot trash and his putting needs serious work. Bit like a better version of Rick Shiels.

Back on the real golf entertainment - this is cool.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CogcSUONqa-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Yeah Garrett is a great player. Not sure he's better than Kwon but they're definitely 1-2.

Agreed re: Micah - his short game is lacking pretty severely given he's already comfortably longer than most PGA pros.

mariachi-19

Nearly 12 months off from competitive golf and Tiger shoots -2 at one of the harder courses on the pga tour…

Decuntbeau can’t even get under par playing full time.

On Tiger you can see his swing is almost back to normal. A lot less upper rotation and more fluid. Pretty bloody impressive but it must have been a really shit time since the Open.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nearly 12 months off from competitive golf and Tiger shoots -2 at one of the harder courses on the pga tour…

On Tiger you can see his swing is almost back to normal. A lot less upper rotation and more fluid. Pretty bloody impressive but it must have been a really shit time since the Open.
Yeah - looked like his short game was letting him down more often than his shots off the tee, which is hopefully just rust (and obviously he seemed to have a better grip on things as the round went on given how he closed).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

He basically plays with a slightly elongated knock down swing, he stays within himself so well, albeit due to injuries & age. It's the perfect swing for him, a swing that would have led to far less injuries in his career.