Golf Lessons?

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I have been playing golf every spring/summer for about 10 years but I am completely useless. One day I might go out and play semi-decent the next I hit everything hard right/left and even miss the ball.

I have recently decided to get lessons (First one tonight in fact). Anyone else taken golf lessons before? Some insight into how others found the lessons or what they gained from it would be great :)

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I have a golf field just across my street and went there a couple times. I was shocked how difficult it is to hit the ball clean. My advice is to watch youtube tutorials and practice with a stick.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've never really played golf properly, but I did have some lessons once. I started hitting the ball cleanly with consistency in a few months with just one lesson a week (possibly two, can't remember), so can say they definitely work. I then had a break from that of about 2 years before briefly playing on a few courses. Was obviously shit again. Never done it since.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I have watched quite a bit on youtube but it just doesn't sink in to my head. I am reading Ben Hogans 5 lessons book at the minute which actually makes a lot of sense and is very descriptive. That's all I ask, a decent consistent swing. My aim is to play 18 holes this year without feeling embarrassed with anyone around waiting for me to play a hole

SteveTheRed

Not had lessons but I would like to one day.

I have a friend who plays off scratch who tells me that my swing isn't too bad but the best advice would be mentally clearing you mind. When he tees it up, it's just "lets hit the ball in that direction"...not thinking "last time I shanked it left" "There is water there" etc.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Just had a lesson last night. Went over all the basics such as grip and stance etc. Be a long process, but watching my first swing and last swing last night... huge difference

McUnited

A good book helps to get the theory right - try Practical Golf by John Jacobs.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
A good book helps to get the theory right - try Practical Golf by John Jacobs.
Almost finished reading Ben Hogans 5 lessons book! Very good and i have flown through it within days

Deleted member 101472

Lessons are a must. I’m lucky that the bro in law gives them to me, but in the beginning you only have to get a few things right. Practicing your swing with a dinner plate helps a lot, and get used to interlocking your fingers. Next thing is to make sure you always stretch out properly as flexibility plays a huge part in golf and a lot of the reason peoplee hit the ball and it curves from left to right is because they didn’t take the time to stretch.

I had lessons as a kid. They're invaluable when you are starting out. You can always tell someone who learned the proper swing vs someone who taught themselves.

Once you get to a semi competent level they are more of an optional thing. You can learn plenty from YouTube videos.

Kag

Invaluable. I got down to 12 without them and stagnated. I was - and still am when I bother to go up - absolutely all over the place. There's no blueprint to go back to when it's bad, hence the birdies surrounded by 7s and 8s which generally ruin my card. Swinging based on 'feel' has its limitation, sadly.

Go get them. Just find a decent pro that takes it easy and keeps it simple. It's supposed to be a hobby, not mental torture.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Anyone else taken golf lessons before? Some insight into how others found the lessons or what they gained from it would be great :)
I did a 10 lesson course. Since I'm a leftie, finding a instructor was near impossible. So had to settle for a right handed instructor. A bit awkward, but still sas very useful. Make sure you hit the driving range often. Basics are simple in paper, but difficult to master.

Deleted member 101472

Playing the Cabot links and Cabot cliffs in cape Breton in August, the former is the best in Canada and top 20 in the world

Long Ball

I have watched quite a bit on youtube but it just doesn't sink in to my head. I am reading Ben Hogans 5 lessons book at the minute which actually makes a lot of sense and is very descriptive. That's all I ask, a decent consistent swing. My aim is to play 18 holes this year without feeling embarrassed with anyone around waiting for me to play a hole
Do NOT take hogans "just turn your hips from the top" literally unless you have the correct pieces of the puzzle in the first place.

Youtube a chap called dan whittaker. He's based at high Legh golf club near knutsford. Helps to explain the hogan way.

Also further reading is something called "encyclopaedia Texarkana" a free download off golfWRX.com

You can actually do more for your swing not hitting balls than bashing away ad hoc down the range

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Golf is all about routines. Once you know the laws of the game then it's all about going through a checklist in your head before actually striking the ball. It's also about understanding that hitting the ball really hard isn't all that effective unless you've mastered the ability to hit the ball in the correct spot (and angle) on the club.

Lessons are great after a long lay off or when you start as they'll help remind you of your internal checklist. But they aren't some magical cure.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Had weekly lessons as a kid but it was always a group session so largely just belting a ball up the practice range or pissing about on the putting green. Once I started playing properly I had some one on ones and went from being inconsistent and largely useless to playing at a fairly steady level and holding my own against my dad and grandad who'd been playing for years. Would be utter turd if I went back to it now because it's been about 10 years since I stopped.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I done 4 lessons and thought it was just too much info in too little time. In the end I have just taken a break from lessons and just continued playing and finding things that click for me. I intend to go back when I have halted in my own progression.

The most rewarding sport but also the most frustrating. I have noticed plenty of positives and on Friday night I played undoubtedly my best ever round of golf. Everything just felt right. I went out on Sunday again in a confident mood.... played the worst I have ever played :lol: