Gomes or Bellingham

Bondi77

If we had the choice of either of these players who would you prefer?
I would go for Bellingham as he is already playing men’s football and impressing admittedly in the second tier but still a high standard whereas Gomes has just impressed at youth and u23 level.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we think he's good enough then it's Gomes for me. Cant develop a good player for near 15 years to have him leave for nothing.

I dont know if he's good enough or not and that's the same about Bellingham- since that's the case, il pick Gomes since hes been here since he was 6 and I feel a bit sad about that.

Tarrou

I couldn't pick between them really, both could be great. But the fact that Gomes hasn't broken through here and seemingly wants to leave (I don't blame him), means I'd pick Bellingham.

I just hope Gomes makes the right move and gets 30 to 40 games next season, because another year or two of stalled development will be a disaster for his career.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
If its true that Gomes has turned down a £30k a week contract, then, Bellingham, actually, no one ahead of him.

From his outings in adult football he's shown that he's quit a bit away from the level required, if he's causing this much hassle at this stage, even IF he realises his potential, can you imagine how disruptive he could become?

You want to go to Chelsea to break through? Good luck to you lad!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Do they both even play in the same position? Jude places further back than Gomes.

But regardless, its obvious that the coaching staff doesn't trust or rate Gomes highly enough to play him more regularly -- nevermind starting him.

They are probably thinking that he is a few years away from a starting spot. Angel clearly thinks otherwise. If the 30k is to be believed, which is crazy for someone who barely plays, then its just silly that Angel doesn't have that patience to work his way in.

Red Comet

Bellingham easily if you take off rose-tinted glasses.

At 16 (17?) Bellingham is already becoming a mainstay of Birmingham. Granted Championship is not exactly EPL, but it is also a very competitive and physical league. Look at the league table - only Fulham is in a shout for a promotion back to EPL. Cardiff is not in playoff position (yet) and Huddersfield is not doing well.

Gomes on the other hand has been with us for eternity and his bags of talent isn't in doubt. However, Ole has been giving tons of chances to youth this season and Gomes hasn't standout in any of the games where he got mins. He evidently isn't ready to take the step up yet.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Dortmund are supposedly offering Bellingham 60k a week at 17. I don’t think Gomes is going to get that wherever he goes but I could be totally wrong. he could be getting offered big wages because of the no fee but otherwise I don’t think he deserves bigger wages than that on what he’s shown up to now. I think there’s a good chance he will head off and make us regret it because he’s clearly talented but I feel like this club really rate Bellingham and hope he’ll be here for a long time to come. you can’t say we’ve pulled out all the stops with Gomes, he’d have been getting games and the wages he wanted otherwise.

sglowrider

Dortmund are supposedly offering Bellingham 60k a week at 17. I don’t think Gomes is going to get that wherever he goes but I could be totally wrong. he could be getting offered big wages because of the no fee but otherwise I don’t think he deserves bigger wages than that on what he’s shown up to now. I think there’s a good chance he will head off and make us regret it because he’s clearly talented but I feel like this club really rate Bellingham and hope he’ll be here for a long time to come. you can’t say we’ve pulled out all the stops with Gomes, he’d have been getting games and the wages he wanted otherwise.
There is no doubt he is talented. But he just hasn't shown it whenever he plays. Does that mean that its a mental issue ie performance anxiety or a club needs to build its team around an 18y.o? Or his ego is getting in the way of his development?

Ali Dia

There is no doubt he is talented. But he just hasn't shown it whenever he plays. Does that mean that its a mental issue ie performance anxiety or a club needs to build its team around an 18y.o? Or his ego is getting in the way of his development?
to be fair it’s a vicious circle. Everyone can see his development is stalling but it’s because of the contract situation more than anything. We should have risked it and still sent him out on loan at the start of the season, let him get kicked for a while and see how he did in a lower league. I reckon it might have brought him down to Earth a bit and he would have signed on to keep going here but it’s looking like he’s gone now. It’s a pity. For the last few years I thought he was nailed on to make it here.

prateik

I dont get the Gomes hype. I havent seen Bellingham.
so.. dont care if Gomes goes.. No clue about Bellingham

sglowrider

to be fair it’s a vicious circle. Everyone can see his development is stalling but it’s because of the contract situation more than anything. We should have risked it and still sent him out on loan at the start of the season, let him get kicked for a while and see how he did in a lower league. I reckon it might have brought him down to Earth a bit and he would have signed on to keep going here but it’s looking like he’s gone now. It’s a pity. For the last few years I thought he was nailed on to make it here.
There is no reason to doubt Ole & team's reasoning for not playing him more considering that they have blooded enough academy players in the last year. Having to play Andreas or Lingard over Angel surely must be some indication of what has gone on on the training pitch.

I am sure there were attempts to send him out too. He may not have agreed to the options? With his lack of size, physicality or athletic abilities, the obvious choices would be Spain. But maybe there just weren't any takers there at the salary level that Angel is currently on.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Bellingham easily if you take off rose-tinted glasses.

At 16 (17?) Bellingham is already becoming a mainstay of Birmingham. Granted Championship is not exactly EPL, but it is also a very competitive and physical league. Look at the league table - only Fulham is in a shout for a promotion back to EPL. Cardiff is not in playoff position (yet) and Huddersfield is not doing well.

Gomes on the other hand has been with us for eternity and his bags of talent isn't in doubt. However, Ole has been giving tons of chances to youth this season and Gomes hasn't standout in any of the games where he got mins. He evidently isn't ready to take the step up yet.
Gomes barely played even compared to Chong who's been god awful.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
There is no reason to doubt Ole & team's reasoning for not playing him more considering that they have blooded enough academy players in the last year. Having to play Andreas or Lingard over Angel surely must be some indication of what has gone on on the training pitch.

I am sure there were attempts to send him out too. He may not have agreed to the options? With his lack of size, physicality or athletic abilities, the obvious choices would be Spain. But maybe there just weren't any takers there at the salary level that Angel is currently on.
Angel lined up a loan himself last January and the club refused to let him leave.

romufc

There is alot of doubt and criticism on Ole, but when it comes to blooding youth, there shouldn't be much because this season he has shown great trust in youth. Letting Lukaku, Smalling, Sanchez and Young all go in favour of Tuanzebe, Chong, Greenwood and Williams shows he trusts them.

The fact that he persevered with Lingard / Perreira shows he is not ready. If a 16 year old is starting games for Birmingham, it shows he is ready to play mens football. It doesnt matter if its the championship, the league does prepare you for the PL i.e Mount, Tuanzebe, Tammy, Henderson.

sglowrider

There is alot of doubt and criticism on Ole, but when it comes to blooding youth, there shouldn't be much because this season he has shown great trust in youth. Letting Lukaku, Smalling, Sanchez and Young all go in favour of Tuanzebe, Chong, Greenwood and Williams shows he trusts them.

The fact that he persevered with Lingard / Perreira shows he is not ready. If a 16 year old is starting games for Birmingham, it shows he is ready to play mens football. It doesnt matter if its the championship, the league does prepare you for the PL i.e Mount, Tuanzebe, Tammy, Henderson.
Thats the stunning thing. If people take away their hatred of Ole, questions need to be asked why Angel cant get past those two. FFS. I suspect his reputation exceeds his reality. Been dying for a creative attacker since Pogs went down and before we got Bruno. And Angel cant get a few minutes?

Ole ain't racist. Has a pretty good eye for the talent required to build his vision of United. There can only be one reason then.

30k is very generous. I would take it if I was him. How much are Williams, McT on? They are more likely to start than Angel.

Last edited:

romufc

Thats the stunning thing. If people take away their hatred of Ole, questions need to be asked why Angel cant get past those two. FFS. I suspect his reputation exceeds his reality. Been dying for a creative attacker since Pogs went down and before we got Bruno.

Ole ain't racist. Has a pretty good eye for the talent required to build his vision of United. There can only be one reason then.
Exactly, he has been given a few chances and honestly, he has failed to impress me. Yes, some people will say its limited chances but as a a 19 year old you have to impress in your given chances when the "senior" players are doing feck all.

Alot of fans seemed to think Angel was the answer to our creative problems, I have seen 0 evidence of this.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I dont get the Gomes hype. I havent seen Bellingham.
so.. dont care if Gomes goes.. No clue about Bellingham
I can't imagine you've watched him through youth ranks if you don't get the hype.

Now that's not to say he's guaranteed to make it at senior level of course.

sglowrider

Exactly, he has been given a few chances and honestly, he has failed to impress me. Yes, some people will say its limited chances but as a a 19 year old you have to impress in your given chances when the "senior" players are doing feck all.

Alot of fans seemed to think Angel was the answer to our creative problems, I have seen 0 evidence of this.
'They have not played his in his best position'
'Wrong games for him'
'Was put in very poor tactical situations'
'Not enough minutes to shine'

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Gomes 20 in August
Bellingham 17 in June

I'd just go with Bellingham myself, never really seen it with Gomes. Granted not watched him an awful lot, a few youth games and his senior outings but he's about to hit 20 and hasn't really shown his quality despite all the fan hype. Bellingham is 3 years younger and performing well for Birmingham. He also looks physically ready for the Premier League, which is a bonus for someone so young.

MrSingh2002

Bellingham by a mile.

Gomes played poorly the last few times I've seen him and at his age it seems he hasn't got near what it takes to make it at United.

Ali Dia

I think its fair to say that Gomes arguably looked as exciting as Bellingham at 16 and just hasn’t kicked on enough? If he hasn’t kicked on that can only be due to 2 things. The players mentality or the clubs lack of faith in him currently. He is nearly 20 and has done nothing really with the first team apart from impress on preseason. If he can’t see that we’ve been trying for years to develop him and we have his best interests at heart then what can you do?

I’m hoping for a Chong style contract turnaround. I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet neither make it (big) here at the end of the day as they won’t ever play enough to impress and the step up requires a lot of faith, luck and many other more tangible factors. They both need a season or 2 at championship or a lesser foreign league level to see if there’s a special player in there and at best you’re probably looking at pereira level talents coming back after that. Potentially a very good player a few years back but at the end of the day plateaued as an average squad player at a big club.

I honestly think if the 2 lads had been out on loan for the last 2 years it would have been a much easier call to make as the fans and club alike could see the true level of the player and make a fact based call instead of trying to reward projected improvement. 20 year old united players should at least hold their own at that level. For example if mason had went out on loan barring injury he’d already stand out a mile at 17 and he’s not some huge lad. You can always bulk up but the skills to stand out and the desire to compete should always be there on show.

I get that the club want to hold onto the best players and develop from within but that approach has hindered the two players Ive mentioned. If they aren’t going to get to start games here get them out there for better or worse. I think it’s the same situation for garner and levitt next year too. If they chose to go out on loan then at least they can never say the club stood in the way of their development just to hold them for squad emergencies and they didn’t get enough games to develop at the end of the day. The final leap is by far the biggest and I still think it needs some fine tuning by the club. It is also detrimental to hold players back too much.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I dont think Mctomminay looked good when he broke through and he had more chances that angel Gomes has had. So he deserves more time than people just mention as him having ample time to show he could make it here.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People have raved about Gomes, but personally have never seen anything that even remotely suggests he'll be a good player here.

Bellingham is a few years younger and playing games. Word is that he's a bit of a wonderkid.

Champagne Football

Bellingham. Not sure Gomes will make it at the very top. I think he'd have been given more chances if the management felt he was nailed on to make it

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bellingham is a far bigger talent by almost every account, probably except some United fans. He’s the safer pick at this stage, although usual disclaimer of your never know what’s going to happen’ applies.

Judas

Open to offers
Bellingham. Didn't even need to think about it. As much as I've loved watching Gomes rise through the ranks and always hoped he'd be a star for us, I think Bellingham would be without much doubt at all.

Ekeke

I dont see why we'd be choosing between someone who's most impressive feature is making slide tackles and winning the ball, and a technical passer with quick feet. They'd do well together, not in place of each other

SecondFig

If its true that Gomes has turned down a £30k a week contract, then, Bellingham, actually, no one ahead of him.

From his outings in adult football he's shown that he's quit a bit away from the level required, if he's causing this much hassle at this stage, even IF he realises his potential, can you imagine how disruptive he could become?

You want to go to Chelsea to break through? Good luck to you lad!
100% agree. I'd love to see Gomes break into the first team, but he needs to earn that, and his performances on the pitch haven't been good enough to justify his (apparent) contract demands.

JohnnyLaw

I dont see why we'd be choosing between someone who's most impressive feature is making slide tackles and winning the ball, and a technical passer with quick feet. They'd do well together, not in place of each other
Perhaps it would be more apt to pit Gomes vs the prospect of signing Grealish.

pacifictheme

In a season where youth players have successfully integrated into the team this guy has so far failed to impress at senior level and now wants a huge payrise or will leave rather than stay and fight for a place.

Brightonian

I'm a big fan of Gomes but it's obviously Bellingham, for two reasons.

1) He's already playing senior football.
2) His physique means it is massively more likely he will 'make it' than Gomes, who is essentially working against a big handicap. Not insurmountable, but big.

It shouldn't be a choice, of course, since they play different positions. And the club are not choosing either - they are trying to sign Bellingham, and they have offered Gomes a good contract.

wolvored

Playing devils advocate from Gomes perspective. Hes seen Greenwood McTominay and Williams come through since he played a first team game, yet he has stalled. He is under the best manager to play youngsters, yet sees the likes of Chong get more game time than him. Even after all that hes apparently been offered a triple your salary increase. He sees paper talk that Bellingham is being bought in and going straight into the first team, so you can see why hes annoyed and wants to leave.
Saying that in my opinion hes simply not shown the nous or physicality at the top end when he has played. He had a decent pre season under Mourinho a couple of years back, but so did Cleverley one year in USA. I would let him leave as I just cant see him getting the time to see if he can kick on and we cant afford to carry a passenger, like we could with Fletcher for years, to see if he could improve.

Ekeke

Playing devils advocate from Gomes perspective. Hes seen Greenwood McTominay and Williams come through since he played a first team game, yet he has stalled. He is under the best manager to play youngsters, yet sees the likes of Chong get more game time than him. Even after all that hes apparently been offered a triple your salary increase. He sees paper talk that Bellingham is being bought in and going straight into the first team, so you can see why hes annoyed and wants to leave.
Saying that in my opinion hes simply not shown the nous or physicality at the top end when he has played. He had a decent pre season under Mourinho a couple of years back, but so did Cleverley one year in USA. I would let him leave as I just cant see him getting the time to see if he can kick on and we cant afford to carry a passenger, like we could with Fletcher for years, to see if he could improve.
He has played 1 single solitary match in his main position and in that match he did show the nous at the top end and was one of our best players against Astana. On that particular day Rashford was pants with poor finishing. Greenwood was a bit lively and scored but made poorer choices than Gomes and gave the ball away a lot. He was right up there with Fred for our best player on the day when a lot of our first teamers didnt play as well as he did.

That very good performance came in September 2019. So you would think that he'd get another game as a CAM. Nope, its never happened. Instead he started 1 more game against Astana this time on the left wing with Lingard as the CAM and 1 game before that against Alkmaar again on the left wing with Mata playing CAM.

That 1 match was more than Lingard or Mata have done all season but he still doesn't get another chance, while we play players in his position who are midtable or lower quality performers and arent 19 year olds and havent had many chances.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Can someone tell me WHY they rate Angel Gomes so highly, based on what you have seen him do with the first team only, the U23's is not a great measurestick to the Premier League.

Jude Bellingham is the greater talent, and its not a conversation in the same division at this point in their development trajectories.