Gonçalo Inácio

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
£38m seems like a lot when you factor in our need to buy 5+ starting players this summer, didn't Upamecano move to Bayern last year for less than that?

Sven Botman is apparently on his way to Milan for £28m (former Ajax academy player, Ten Hag probably knows him).

Marc Guehi could probably be signed for a similar price.

Just seems we need to be smart this summer with our recruitment rather than paying over the odds for potential.

Kostov

£38m seems like a lot when you factor in our need to buy 5+ starting players this summer, didn't Upamecano move to Bayern last year for less than that?

Sven Botman is apparently on his way to Milan for £28m (former Ajax academy player, Ten Hag probably knows him).

Marc Guehi could probably be signed for a similar price.

Just seems we need to be smart this summer with our recruitment rather than paying over the odds for potential.
Based on Palace selling us AWB for 50m pounds or you have some other unknown to the public info?

Castia

We’ve bought a CB every summer for the last 4 years spending almost £200m, let’s buy another one.

Prime Nesta and Cannavaro would look shite in out setup ffs.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We’ve bought a CB every summer for the last 4 years spending almost £200m let’s buy another one.

Unlike Lindelöf, at least they wouldn't get down in missionary style every time they are isolated against an attacker.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Based on Palace selling us AWB for 50m pounds or you have some other unknown to the public info?
Yeah maybe I was a little optimistic with that one! :lol:

Could probably do a deal with Palace for AWB though.

Ekeke

We’ve bought a CB every summer for the last 4 years spending almost £200m, let’s buy another one.

They would paired next to this season's Maguire, Lindelof and Varane yeah

CB is clearly a weak spot

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Bailly and Jones are widely rumoured to be leaving, in which case we'd have three senior CBs at the club, two of whom have had ongoing injury problems.

"We've already spent £200m on CBs" doesn't stop you from needing to spend more on CBs. Wasted money doesn't count for anything.

mikeyt

FM legend, sign him up!

My only concern is spending £38million on a young CB who isn't going to play. If the intention is to sign him and pair him with Varane then I'm all for it. But no point splashing this kind of money for him to sit on the bench

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's remix to Ignacio
Hot and fresh out of Lisbon
Haggy's at the wheel
Got Man United winning
Beating City and the scum
We're winning the freaking title
And about to have some fun

Castia

They would paired next to this season's Maguire, Lindelof and Varane yeah

CB is clearly a weak spot
Doesn’t matter who’s at the back when there’s no midfield and mid table full backs. Put Dias and Laporte in this squad and we’d still be shit.

Rolaholic

My Portuguese mate who follows Liga NOS, Porto fan, says he's a good prospect who's had a good season but he feels he'd be better served spending another season at Sporting before making the jump to a top European league.

Feels like everyone is trying to find the next Dias but it might be a bit premature with him.

Grande

My Portuguese mate who follows Liga NOS, Porto fan, says he's a good prospect who's had a good season but he feels he'd be better served spending another season at Sporting before making the jump to a top European league.

Feels like everyone is trying to find the next Dias but it might be a bit premature with him.
Yea, the next Dias will probably come from another country than Portugal anyway. If he hasn’t got the right amount of talent and mentality, a Portugues pass is not gonna help him.

Ekeke

Doesn’t matter who’s at the back when there’s no midfield and mid table full backs. Put Dias and Laporte in this squad and we’d still be shit.
Because they dont have to defend a lot and City play a unique way not because Lindelof and Maguire wouldnt be making countless mistakes for another team

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Vidic was one of the most sought after young defenders in the world when we signed him. I think Liverpool also wanted him?
Perhaps my memory is falling me but I thought we got him without much fan fair.
Wiki says we hijacked the deal from Fiorentina so maybe you're right.

Castia

Because they dont have to defend a lot and City play a unique way not because Lindelof and Maguire wouldnt be making countless mistakes for another team
That’s exactly my point. The way they play is a major factor on their defence, we aren’t playing anything near the level of City or Liverpool with McFred, Dalot and Telles starting 30 games a season.

If City had Varane and Maguire they’d still be challenging for the league. If we had Dias and Laporte we wouldn’t.

Ekeke

That’s exactly my point. The way they play is a major factor on their defence, we aren’t playing anything near the level of City or Liverpool with McFred, Dalot and Telles starting 30 games a season.

If City had Varane and Maguire they’d still be challenging for the league. If we had Dias and Laporte we wouldn’t.
Liverpool and City play very differently. Liverpool defenders have a lot more defending to do

City with Maguire and Varane would be shipping loads of goals like they were at the beginning of last season. You're crazy

mav_9me

Vidic was one of the most sought after young defenders in the world when we signed him. I think Liverpool also wanted him?
I remember it completely differently. He was a potential signing but nowhere near the most sought after young defenders. For ex not like Upemacano before going to Bayern.

Strootman's Finger

Sounds promising, not opposed to the signing per se, but one thing that concerns me, one of the rumored biggest issues with the squad this year is the cliques that have formed, and the main two being the English clique and the Portuguese one. Personally I would be a little reluctant to sign anymore portuguese players and add more to one clique, or force a new signing into that dynamic right away. Chances are we flog Telles and Dalot this summer, in which cases the clique might be broken up anyway, but that is probably the only way I would personally sign anymore Portuguese players.

And I am not sure why we aren't being linked with Gvardiol of Leipzig, left footed, similar profile, age, position, experience and he's already a regular for Croatia.

Gordon S

Adding post from @SportingCP96 from another thread

I think it’s a great comparison. Inácio is the type of CB Barcelona would orgasm over.

He is like a midfielder who plays at CB. That pass he did to Porro who then crossed to Pote who hit the bar was nothing short of sublime. Also his pass to Pote who had a beautiful control but could not finish was also great . Added to that how calm he is on the ball it’s very natural to him. With Nuno Mendes and Inácio we might have the future starting LB and LCB of the national team.

For anyone interested in what I am talking about:

:At 32 seconds is his first pass
;At 50 seconds is the second one

AneRu

Sounds promising, not opposed to the signing per se, but one thing that concerns me, one of the rumored biggest issues with the squad this year is the cliques that have formed, and the main two being the English clique and the Portuguese one. Personally I would be a little reluctant to sign anymore portuguese players and add more to one clique, or force a new signing into that dynamic right away. Chances are we flog Telles and Dalot this summer, in which cases the clique might be broken up anyway, but that is probably the only way I would personally sign anymore Portuguese players.

And I am not sure why we aren't being linked with Gvardiol of Leipzig, left footed, similar profile, age, position, experience and he's already a regular for Croatia.
What about the English clique? Should they maintain their strength?

Strootman's Finger

What about the English clique? Should they maintain their strength?
Absolutely not, breaking that up should be priority number 1 for Ten Hag, in fact, breaking all of them, but I think it's the english clique causing the problem. I just think adding to that divide, no matter what side, could be an issue.

Abraxas

What is going on here?

We're not going to base transfer strategy over current cliques, some of which may be overstated or completely inaccurate. What nonsense.

It's for the manager to come in and set the tone. If he doesn't like the dynamics, he changes it, he's the leader. You don't not buy somebody because of nationalities. It's about footballing suitability and personality.