Gonçalo Ramos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Rash

Benfica supporter at work said this morning there are a lot of rumours doing the rounds in Lisbon that United are moving for Ramos and ready to pay the £100m release. This is amongst fans and local ITKs, so take it however you want.
I haven't really watched Ramos play so my opinion is pretty useless here but if those rumours are true I feel a bit uneasy about signing a 21 year old from the Portuguese league for 100 million.

Is he really that good or would we be taking a huge risk with this kind of signing? Can't help but feel 100 million for Kane would be the wiser choice.

Swedish_Plumber

What are his main attributes? Really haven’t seen much of him outside of the WC game he scored a hattrick in and can’t even really remember that.

Von Mistelroum

I really hope not. He doesn't seem to have much to him really that most mid table PL forwards don't have. Can sometimes score a goal or two, not fast, not strong, not really skillful.

Hojlund looks a far better, faster and more explosive option.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
That’s too much. 70-75m would make sense though.
Don't forget the Benfica's tax. Always multiply the market value by at least 3 or 5, depending how gullible the buyer is. They did it with Renato Sanches, João Félix and Enzo Fernandez, they'll surely try with Gonçalo Ramos.

I didn't watch many games to have a more informed opinon. But what I saw, didn't impress me. I don't see how much he would improve Man Utd's attack.

Bertie Wooster

I know it's a sign of the mad transfer fees, but really only 'comfortable' with paying £100m+ for established stars proven in the strongest leagues and at the highest levels.

So of the linked players, Kane and Osimhen, fine. You pay a premium for their proven record. For players like Ramos, Ferguson, Muani, etc, then I'd hope they'd be cheaper than that given they're still works in progress and not fully proven / established at the highest level.

We overpaid for Antony because it was late in the window and they knew how much ETH wanted him. But even that was about £85m. I wouldn't want us to pay even that for any of the linked strikers apart from Kane or Osimhen.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I know it's a sign of the mad transfer fees, but really only 'comfortable' with paying £100m+ for established stars proven in the strongest leagues and at the highest levels.

So of the linked players, Kane and Osimhen, fine. You pay a premium for their proven record. For players like Ramos, Ferguson, Muani, etc, then I'd hope they'd be cheaper than that given they're still works in progress and not fully proven / established at the highest level.

We overpaid for Antony because it was late in the window and they knew how much ETH wanted him. But even that was about £85m. I wouldn't want us to pay even that for any of the linked strikers apart from Kane or Osimhen.
Think we have a scarcity issue with centre forwards at the moment and so these guys are worth considerably more than they would be if we had an averaged sized pool of talent.

'No value in the market' as someone once said.

Bertie Wooster

Think we have a scarcity issue with centre forwards at the moment and so these guys are worth considerably more than they would be if we had an averaged sized pool of talent.

'No value in the market' as someone once said.
Yeah, good point.

I guess as long as we make the right decision, and get someone who delivers, then it's worth overpaying for it. Just makes it a very expensive gamble if we go for the less proven option and still have to pay around £100m. But so long as they prove a goalscoring success then whoever it is, whatever they cost, will be such a crucial signing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have to say, I was miles more excited about the prospect of signing Darwin Nunez (last summer) than this guy. I don't think he has as much to his game.
Much prefer Ramos. Nunez had his qualities but he was also being priced based on a goalscoring run he clearly wasn't going to sustain and came with an obvious red flag in terms of his basic technical ability. Neither of those apply to Ramos.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Much prefer Ramos. Nunez had his qualities but he was also being priced based on a goalscoring run he clearly wasn't going to sustain and came with an obvious red flag in terms of his basic technical ability. Neither of those apply to Ramos.
Even though his technique let him down at times, he'd do some great stuff other times that proved he was more than capable of being a top player. I don't get the impression that Ramos is that type of player at all. For example, Nunez would play out wide a lot, and still does for Liverpool. I don't think Ramos has the ability to play that sort of role.

Charlie Foley

Don't forget the Benfica's tax. Always multiply the market value by at least 3 or 5, depending how gullible the buyer is. They did it with Renato Sanches, João Félix and Enzo Fernandez, they'll surely try with Gonçalo Ramos.

I didn't watch many games to have a more informed opinon. But what I saw, didn't impress me. I don't see how much he would improve Man Utd's attack.
He would improve us just by being a present and able bodied actual striker. Can’t trust Martial’s body and we all know about Wout.

he is mobile without having electric pace, 6’1”, think he has 6 or 7 headers this season. Doesn’t take penalties for Benfica which is worth bearing in mind when looking at his goal record. Also Benfica struggled to fully deal with Enzo’s transfer for a while.

he doesn’t have the physical attributes Nunez does, but I think he’s much tidier technically. I’d be interested to see him come here but 100million seems steep

Charlie Foley

Even though his technique let him down at times, he'd do some great stuff other times that proved he was more than capable of being a top player. I don't get the impression that Ramos is that type of player at all. For example, Nunez would play out wide a lot, and still does for Liverpool. I don't think Ramos has the ability to play that sort of role.
They are different players. Nunez much more suited to being a left sided forward imo

jamesjimmybyrondean

The compilation I've seen of him makes him look like he strikes the ball very well and looks clinic with a variety of goals in him. Is this accurate?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The compilation I've seen of him makes him look like he strikes the ball very well and looks clinic with a variety of goals in him. Is this accurate?
He keeps scoring tap ins in the ones I've seen. Apart from the headers, the headers are nice.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I really hope not. He doesn't seem to have much to him really that most mid table PL forwards don't have. Can sometimes score a goal or two, not fast, not strong, not really skillful.

Hojlund looks a far better, faster and more explosive option.
Ramos scores goals. That's what the team needs, a guy that just sticks in the back of the net.

OverratedOpinion

Wikipedia told me he scored a lot last season and YouTube told me some of them were pretty bang tidy. We should sign him.

Mr Smith

I can't help feel that if he's going to cost 100mil, that money could be better spent one someone more proven at this level...

bosskeano

Ramos isn't going for €50m. There is no way Benfica are going to let him go cheap.
If Hojlund goes for 40m and Ramos goes for say 70-80m....that's 120m...you know Levy is going to want 100m or more for Kane

Von Mistelroum

Looks very run-of-the-mill to me. Hojlund will be the better striker I'm sure of that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Prefer Hojlund. And I am not even talking about their price tag.

Nicklas

What do people think of him, those of you who have seen him play in the last year? From what I understand, he hasn't been as good as Darwin Nunez was in his last year in Benfica - but that in turn doesn't have to mean that Ramos isn't better suited for the PL. I guess it's between Ramos and Hojlund.

Joseunited

Might as well keep Weghorst with all these silly numbers being thrown around.

Telsim

Might as well keep Weghorst with all these silly numbers being thrown around.
Man, if Havertz really goes to Arsenal for €80 million, I'm starting to think everything is fair game. I imagine someone like Ronaldo would cost half a billion in today's market. Insane fees all around.

Mcking

Looks like a striker that would completely flop in the Premier League. Doesn't look particularly special to me at all.

Dempsey19

Didn't see anything special about him whenever I saw him play.

Wouldn't be spending 80m on him no matter what.

Blood Mage

The type of workhorse forward you expect Everton or Crystal Palace to sign. Runs all day but wouldn't score many goals in the PL. Not United quality.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Apparently he isn’t our first or 2nd choice. But if every strikers are costing us 100m+ why not give him a go at 80m?

Status
Not open for further replies.