Gonzalo Higuain | Chelsea Player

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
I mean I'm just saying that it wouldn't make sense for us to sell a 25k player just to buy a 100k player.
Of course it makes sense, if 100k for a player is an extraordinary expense for you and you need to cut costs to finance that player. Focusing on the 4:1 ratio ignores that Higuain was still one of if not our highest paid player before Ronaldo's arrival. Getting his wage off the books was a significant and necessary measure to finance Ronaldo's salary. What's also been ignored is the depreciation of his transfer fee which was significant and which we needed to get off the books to stay compliant with financial rules after the Ronaldo transfer.

There is some good reasons to be sceptical about Higuain (his age, his fitness issues etc.), but the fact that we sold him is not one of the reasons. We sold him, because we could get Ronaldo. Very few attackers would have avoided that destiny under these circumstances.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He’s older, overweight and his hunger is gone.

Scored 6 last year for Milan in Serie A.
Well, that is one problem sorted ;)
:lol:

What is it with these highly paid footballers, who can't keep their weight in check?
We have Lukaku right now, who is so large, he looks gassed after 10 minutes on the pitch. Higuain may suffer with a similar issue, given that the pace of the EPL is faster.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s older, overweight and his hunger is gone.

Scored 6 last year for Milan in Serie A.
At Milan, sure. He probably didn't want to be there but had to leave Juve as they needed room for Ronaldo.

At Chelsea this is his last chance to be "the main man", and in a new league. If he's not fired up for this he might as well retire.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's a perfectly valid statement, though it remains to be seen if his hunger has genuinely gone....or not.
Certainly not an oxymoron.
I know, it was a joke (clearly not a very good one). @JuveGER did it better.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Neither Eto'o or Crespo flopped!!
Crespo certainly didn't. Think his goals-to-minutes ratio was pretty decent and he scored a couple of belters. Not a great fit though given the way Chelsea were evolving with a target man to bring the midfield into play.

Is it me or does Chelsea seem to be a place for established international strikers to flop?

Shevchenko
Crespo
Falcao
Torres
Morata
Higuain?

Thought there were more. Not counting Mutu/ Kezman as they weren’t established.
Established international strikers, but most of whom were already on the wane. Falcao and Torres were both done well before they joined, Higuain looks much the same although he should score a few.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
So Morata quietly skulks off to Atletico whilst Chelsea throw a bunch of cash to bring in Higuain.

Can't help but feel if this was us with Lukaku it'd be getting a lot more attention and the club's transfer policy would (rightly) be getting a lot of stick.

Chelsea at present seem to be throwing a lot of shit in the hope that some of it will stick. Hope Higuain flops.
Your name definitely suits you. United have spent £700m since Fergie left.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Your name definitely suits you. United have spent £700m since Fergie left.
Doesn't mean he's wrong.

That said, I think Higuain will do well. At least, he will do a lot better than Morata.

crossy1686

career ending
He was a very different player to what he is today. He used to be quite mobile and dribble a fair bit.

Now he's more of a poacher but he's still got great technical ability. If Chelsea manage to get him fitter they could have a real weapon up front again.

He's scored 30+ goals in Spain and Italy, no doubt he could do it here too.
I'm willing to bet any amount of money that between now and the end of the season he scores somewhere around 10 goals max.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I'm willing to bet any amount of money that between now and the end of the season he scores somewhere around 10 goals max.
10 goals in less than half a season at a new club would be a good return.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All comps or just the league?

Chelsea give the forwards plenty of service. Morata was missing 2/3 good chances a match, I can't see Higuain missing some of those.

I think he will get around 10 league goals also and a few extra in the cups.

tenpoless

The only man who's got a birth certificate which is a letter of apology from a trophy manufacturer because his legs always get weakened during finals.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Van Persie at his peak was an absolutely phenomenal player. But a lot of you have huge red tinted glass..it’s unbelievable. The notion that RVP is head and shoulders above Higuian is nonsense.

RVP had TWO bonafide world class seasons. His last year at Arsenal and his first season at United.

He was extremely injury plagued for most of his Arsenal career and I do believe he would of hit that top elite level earlier if he stayed healthy but ultimately he didn’t. He was still world class during Moyes first season but the Moyes effect brought everyone down but you can still give credit for that.

Higuaín might be a huge flop. You may even say RVP had a higher peak than Higuaín. However, let’s not act like him and RVP have been in different stratosphere’s throughout their careers cause it’s not true.

Djemba-Djemba

I think he'll probably do well.

Unless Chelsea make a cup final in which case he'll blow whatever chances come his way.

Luciano Venturini

I'm not convinced this is the answer for Chelsea, it's only a 6 month loan so if it does turn into a disaster at least it can be forgotten by the summer. It's a poor review source but the Italian part of my family all being Milan fans couldn't wait to see the back of him. He's seen as a lazy, past it by them. But the new challenge and country might just give him the motivation to do well. Chelsea and big name strikers have never gone well. Nothing indicates that this is going to transform their whole season and make them a great team. Chelsea fans quick to point out that he worked with Sarri previously but so did Jorginho and that isnt exactly proving successful

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Top clubs don't go into decline by accident. It happens because the people in charge start making more bad decisions than good ones and this is yet another one! There's just been far too many poor signings in recent years and they simply do not learn from their past mistakes.

The club desperately needs a director of football who knows what they are going!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kostur

海尔的老板
Watching this absolute unit sit there on a bench inspired me with a joke. What's the difference between Miss Piggy and Higuain? One's a fecking fat pig and the other one's a cartoon character.

Litch

Such a Chelsea signing and already said, been a few. If I was a Chelsea fan I'd have some 'use to be good' names on shirts.

It’s pretty risk free from Chelsea. Nothing like when they payed massive money for Shevchenko and Torres. If he stinks up the place he will be on his bike in 6 months. All the risk is with Juventus who are seeing their asset massively decrease in value.

The manager loves him and knows how to play him, that’s half the battle won.

I’ll be interested to see how he does.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Everyone seems to be laughing at him, but watch him light up the Premier League. :angel:

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
It depends if it's only league goals or total goals that we are considering
Hazard has 13 goals in 29 apps.
Rashford has 9 in 27.
Lacazette has 10 in 28.
Son has 12 in 28.

If he scores 10 with the number of games they have remaining, he'll be in that sort of company. For less than half a season at a new club, that'd be a great return, be it in just the league or in the league & cups.

If he scores 10 in the league then that's Salah/Auba pace, if not higher. That'd be a great return, never mind a good one.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hazard has 13 goals in 29 apps.
Rashford has 9 in 27.
Lacazette has 10 in 28.
Son has 12 in 28.

If he scores 10 with the number of games they have remaining, he'll be in that sort of company. For less than half a season at a new club, that'd be a great return, be it in just the league or in the league & cups.

If he scores 10 in the league then that's Salah/Auba pace, if not higher. That'd be a great return, never mind a good one.
Hazard isn't a real striker and has never been prolific anyway
Rashford has been recently a regular, Mourinho has been fecking with him.
Lacazette didn't always start and he wasn't their main striker

Higuain should be compared with player's who have been their team's main goalscorers (Aubameyang, Aguero, Salah). If he comes up with that return you mentioned, it would be not be great by any stretch of the imagination if it's total games included. 10 goals in the league would be a very good return though. We'll see.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Couple of half chances, ball in behind from Kovacic, got a shot off blocked, one header from ampadu cross about 10 yards out. He looks in good physical shape though and some good touches. Can see his technical quality and movement.

Same issue for us, we don't create much against bus parking defences. Nearly 900 passes today, 80% of the ball, only 3 shots on target though, one was a pen. All went in though.

Suedesi

The only real difference in that graph you posted is how much more involved Higuain was in deeper positions compared to Cristiano

Mandzukic is on 4m(8 including taxes). Higuain was on 7.5(15). A difference of 7 millions per year for juventus. Hardly nothing

Sure. Also because Mandzukic is a tireless workhorse and tactical balancer

Chelsea were fools not go for him last summer, so? Btw, they did essentially sold him to Milan, 18mil loan fee is not something you just throw away. The deal was structured like that because of FFP