Gonzalo Higuain | Chelsea Player

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Did Sarri call out his physical shape and mental game again? :lol::lol::lol:
Didn't really "call him out".

Sarri asked if Higuain is struggling: "In this moment, yes of course. Today he had an opportunity, but too few for him I think. He can do more I think. He had a problem in the beginning of the week with a fever, so today it was normal he could play only 60, 65 mins"

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well I have to assume I was wrong on this one. Think my argument was with @SquishyMcSquish . Never expected such a fall on performances with 31 years. At least for this level. Of course the problems with Chelsea are far to being explained by this.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He hasn't even been bad, was pretty good tonight for example. He should be getting a 1 in 2 goalscoring record.

Chelsea's creative players love to complicate things, they fail to see easy passes to put him through on goal too often. Constantly crossing the ball to him isn't going to help him either.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems like he only scored v Huddersfield. Must've scored in at least another league game?

Suedesi

Well I have to assume I was wrong on this one. Think my argument was with @SquishyMcSquish . Never expected such a fall on performances with 31 years. At least for this level. Of course the problems with Chelsea are far to being explained by this.
I've been vocal saying that he'd be a waste of space at Chelsea - never thought he'd score more than 8 goals in the PL. So far, so good.

Suedesi

Higuain has been the best striker in Serie A for quite some time. The decline of this season is more psychological than physical, he resented us for dumping him and rumors say he never felt Milan as a worthy side to play for.

In case you are not concerned about him going to Chelsea you better be. Especially because they have the combo Higuain AND Sarri, Sarri being the manager who was able to take out the most out of him (Higuain’s record breaking season was under Sarri).
Hey @pensionator shaking in my boots here!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
tbh I actually think he's been ok. Jorginho certain looks better with him in the side even if it's only due to that 1 touch lofted pass he does at least once a game (it's one more forward pass than he was ever doing before Higuain came into the side). He's definitely not been a flop to the standards of Torres or Morata

It shouldn't be a surprise he's only scored against the fodder thus far, that's the story of his career

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
tbh I actually think he's been ok. Jorginho certain looks better with him in the side even if it's only due to that 1 touch lofted pass he does at least once a game (it's one more forward pass than he was ever doing before Higuain came into the side). He's definitely not been a flop to the standards of Torres or Morata

It shouldn't be a surprise he's only scored against the fodder thus far, that's the story of his career
No, it isn't:

Most people don't forget that, in fairness. The point people are making is that this applies to Higuain also, in 08/09 for Madrid and in 14/15 for Napoli. Maybe other seasons in Italy too - I'm only very familiar with that spectacular season at Madrid.

For Napoli he scored against Juve, Milan, Inter and Fiorentina i.e. 4 of the remaining top 5 in the league, including a goal and assist in the 2-1 win vs. Juve. For Madrid he did similarly, scoring against Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, Bilbao and Villareal. Scored some brilliant, decisive goals that year too, just like van Persie.

They both have proven records of scoring against the best teams in the league, in multiple seasons. It's only PL fans who don't recognise that's true about Higuain, in the same way it wasn't recognised about Zlatan until that game against England. It's a narrative not a representation if the facts.

On the other hand, van Persie let us down in the CL in the same way Higuain frequently has. Some people will debate which is more important, but you can't apply different rules to the same scenario. Either they are both bottlers on the big stage, or both elite strikers with a patchy record outside the league.
Feel free to check the history books. That's the story that's been presented to you by the English media and confirmed in the handful of CL games you watched. Like many top players, including many United ones you've praised profusely, his international career is another story. Which was true for van Persie until he came to us, and scored against all the big PL teams, and the idea that he was a flat track bully would now be considered ludicrous. Stories are very misleading if you don't consider the source of the narrative.

I think he's been ok too. Good enough to start as a #9 for a team in Chelsea's position, unlike the last two. Not good enough to help them win a title though. Just how we like it! The idea that he's the most complete striker of the last decade is looking increasingly ridiculous as time goes on :lol:

Robbie Boy

Pretty obvious to anyone that’s watched him in recent times that this would be a pretty terrible piece of transfer business.

Bearded One

Between 2017 till now Chelsea has had Costa, Morarata, Batshuayi, Giroud and Higuain as center forwards.

United, Rashford and Lukaku
Liverpool, Firmino and Sturridge
City, Aguero and Jesus
Spurs, Kane and Llorente
Arsenal, Aubaumeyang and Lacazette

Chesea has got to find their attacking touch.

Pocho

I watched several Chelsea games, they play horrible. It's almost impossible to score as a CF in that team right now, some big changes have to be made.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Old striker who was struggling in Serie A failing to do much in a superior, faster paced league shocker.

I mean, was anyone shocked by this?

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I watched several Chelsea games, they play horrible. It's almost impossible to score as a CF in that team right now, some big changes have to be made.
If they don't put the ball forward not even Aguero can work for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How is it impossible? He was played through by a wonderful pass by Jorginho yesterday (credit to him given all the stick he's taken recently) and was through on goal against one of the worst keepers in world football (according to the Caf).

It was a really poor finish, barely trickled past Pickford and easily cleared before reaching the line.

I think if he'd come to the prem after leaving Madrid he would've done fine as he was decent enough for Juventus but yeah agree last year of being move out for Ronaldo has probably hit his motivation levels and he's getting on.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I thought the problem with Morata was that he couldn't finish? He seemed to get plenty of chances for Chelsea, he was through on goal loads, he just had a horrible conversion rate. Chelsea fans kept saying that all they needed was a great striker to compete for the league, that a clinical striker would complete the jigsaw, all that malarkey.

Feels like the goalposts have moved and now it's a problem with service. Top strikers can generally still manage to score even when the service isn't top class, Higuain has only managed it vs two of the worst three teams in the league.

Like I said above, the transfer had failure written all over it, Chelsea fans seemed to think they were getting Higuain in his prime. He's 31 and has question marks over his fitness in recent years, as well as a horrible spell at Milan. People blamed a lack of motivation for his performances there, now it's a lack of service at Chelsea.

Pocho

How is it impossible? He was played through by a wonderful pass by Jorginho yesterday (credit to him given all the stick he's taken recently) and was through on goal against one of the worst keepers in world football (according to the Caf).

It was a really poor finish, barely trickled past Pickford and easily cleared before reaching the line.

I think if he'd come to the prem after leaving Madrid he would've done fine as he was decent enough for Juventus but yeah agree last year of being move out for Ronaldo has probably hit his motivation levels and he's getting on.
I think that with time and properly assisted he will do fine.

Bwuk

He’s shite. Mental opinions in this thread people saying he was better than RvP

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is it just a loan or have they committed themselves to buy this rapidly declining big-game-shirker?

el3mel

He has scored 3 goals in 2 games only out of 12 he played, but people convinced me he's going to be a good signing for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is it just a loan or have they committed themselves to buy this rapidly declining big-game-shirker?
They've got him on loan for next season aswell I think unless there's a break clause in there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He has scored 3 goals in 2 games only out of 12 he played, but people convinced me he's going to be a good signing for them.
Would've been fine coming to the prem at 25-28.

Strikers in their 30s playing in prem for first time dosen't usually go well tbh, Zlatan excepted who more than hit the ground running.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They've got him on loan for next season aswell I think unless there's a break clause in there.
The loan is util the end of this season with an option for another year, thank feck!

A statement on Juventus.com read: “The agreement also grants to Chelsea the options to extend the duration of the loan until 30 June 2020, for a consideration of 18m euros (£15.7m) to be paid in 2019-20 financial year, or to acquire the registration rights of the player on a permanent basis for 36m euros (31.3m) to be paid in two financial years.”

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Best striker of his generation, better than RVP according to :houllier: @Peyroteo

He peaked in that Napoli season, been downhill since then. Looked like a lottery winner out there today.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The loan is util the end of this season with an option for another year, thank feck!
Fair enough. Guess you'll send him back especially if Sarri leaves as he was the one who really pushed for the transfer.

Think problem is Higuain was doing fine at Juve but he lost motivation after being the one pushed out for Ronaldo rather than Mandzukic, wasn't that great at Milan really.

Interesting what Chelsea do with their striking options if the ban holds for next season. You've got Giroud getting on now and not got a great scoring record at all for them, if Hazard leaves that's a front three option gone and likes of Abraham and Batshuyai will get chances but neither are top class standard. Morata will push for move full time to Atletico.