Good but less known players from the 90s / early 2000s?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I enjoy looking up highlights from players on Youtube, both current and ex-players, and I'm interested in the good but less known players from the mid-to-late 90s / early 2000s?

Who were the Son's, Zaha's, Vardy's, Maguire's from those days?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Eiður Guðjohnsen (Hope I spelt that right, didn’t both using Google. Honestly.)

Nolberto Solano

Kag

Steed Malbranque was a solid Premier League player. Fulham had a few of those at the time. Boa Morte is another.

Although I think your Son’s and Vardy’s a bit too good to be in this bracket of player.

baskinginthesun

Ivan Campo? Remember him being decent at Bolton for awhile if he wasn't getting yellow or red carded.

freeurmind

weak willed
laurent robert. best left foot ive ever seen apart from roberto carlos

Skills

Snitch
Yakubu was fantasy league king during his time at Middlesbrough

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Morten Gamst Pedersen.

That LB who used to play for Portsmouth and Bolton. His name eludes me but he used to score some crackers.

freeurmind

weak willed
Jabu Pule was a wonderboy in South African football for a while.
Ali Benarbia is also someone you never hear anyone talking about.

JPOR

David Ginola, Nwankwo Kanu, Benito Carbone (if you want slightly more obscure),

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Would have said Di Matteo before he came back to us as a manager.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Jay-Jay Okocha, Overmars, Kinkladze
I was going to mention Kinkladze. I remember as a child my older brother (a City fan) showing me him and I was shocked that such an entertaining player played for them (at the time). As a kid in the 90s, I just assumed all their players sucked.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Mark Viduka was annoyingly good. Built like a pub player, but his positioning and finishing were top class. Perhaps he was the Vardy of that era, someone who had no right being a professional athlete but somehow was.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Carboni perhaps from that god Valencia team of late 90s early 00s. Was a very good defender for him but can't remember him getting any Italy caps at that point although he might've been well over 30.

Juan Pablo Sorin was really good for Argentina in that period but didn't quite establish himself as much in europe, he played for PSG when they were just another French team trying to chase down Lyon.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mikael Forssell, Marcus Stewart and Muzzy Izzet.

Is Kanouté less known?
Kanoute was really good at West Ham IIRC (think Man. United were linked with him) but then at Spurs he was injured lots and also in and out with rotation as they also had Defoe and Robbie Keane at the time.

Ask the Sevilla fans on here and he's a legend, more than played his part in their Europa wins and strong challenges in La Liga.

Denis79

Carboni perhaps from that god Valencia team of late 90s early 00s. Was a very good defender for him but can't remember him getting any Italy caps at that point although he might've been well over 30.

Juan Pablo Sorin was really good for Argentina in that period but didn't quite establish himself as much in europe, he played for PSG when they were just another French team trying to chase down Lyon.
What was the name of the left-winger in that Valencia team? Quick as lightning and had an excellent cross.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Kanoute was really good at West Ham IIRC (think Man. United were linked with him) but then at Spurs he was injured lots and also in and out with rotation as they also had Defoe and Robbie Keane at the time.

Ask the Sevilla fans on here and he's a legend, more than played his part in their Europa wins and strong challenges in La Liga.
Yeah. He was mercurial.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would also add Ali Karimi.

Fantastic playmaker for Iran for many years but was happy to stay in Asia for majority of his playing career. One year he actually popped up at Bayern Munich but don't think he played much.

On other hand Mehdi Mahdavikia played at Hamburg for 8 years and was a terrific full back, never understood why top prem clubs never looked at him as with his speed he'd have been perfect for premier league. Hamburh were better in those teams than the basketcase they are now so guess it was harder to to prise him away.

0161_UNITED

George Weah, Kanu...

Seedorf probably the most criminally underrated during this period...

Giovanni Van Brockhurst, Patrick Kluivert...

Damien Duff had a good spell.

So for me, George Weah, Graeme Le Saux and...

Matt Le Tessier. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. [Tancredi BOOM! With Weah a close second and Dutch creditionals]

Last edited:

heinze58

Supports
SETI
Preki was one to watch out for too, I think someone mentioned Darren Anderson - scored some belters! Villa were quite a decent team too, we had some fab games. Robert Warzycha is a (probably missspelt) name that seems to jump out of the mind too...