Good but less known players from the 90s / early 2000s?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

@Demyanenko_square_jaw

Love that list....as I was scrolling down I was wondering if you were going to mention Titov who as you say produced some really good CL games in that era. Brilliant summary.

Around that time you also had Victor Onopko, the bald CB who played for Oviedo and Rayo Vallecano in Spain.

Just wondering what you thought of Marat Izmailov? I remember he was massively hyped when he came through (e.g. talk of all europe's big hitters bidding for him) and he was actually part of that era of players.

Someone a little later but also got a similar level of hype would be Dzageov.
Onopko was declined by then, became a scapegoat for the national team failures though he was far from the main reason of them. I liked him a lot in the '90s but moving to Oviedo who were constantly fighting relegation was a really bad choice, though tbf most ex-ussr teams were crap at getting good moves for their players. Kanchelskis was an anomaly back then.

I rated Izmailov when he broke through, he seemed a natural talent. Very good dribbling and smart passing with both feet, could play in the centre or on the wings as an ideal supporting playmaker and had a strong shot. His midfield partnership with Loskov was the main reason Loko were able to often avoid being a whipping boy in Europe. Unforunately he was one of the most injury-prone players i've known from that 00s generation, after his breakthrough season you would be lucky to find another one where he managed to reach 20 league games. That stopped him from really developing and Ballack late challenge in a friendly nearly ended his career for good around 2005, he was slower, not as agile after that.

The injuries cut short any chance he had of a big move, though he did eventually go to Sporting Lisbon in 2007, but i didn't bother following how he got on as i didn't expect him to be fit much or his career to go anywhere by that point. as i understand he did do well when fit, but the injuries kept getting worse.

This highlight of dribbling and goals mainly from his Sporting days gives a decent look at what kind of player he was, though it's a mess for about the first minute.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Shaun Goater.

Scored millions of goals for Man. City in lower leagues. IIRC his premier league goalscoring record was pretty respectable especially as he was in his early 30s when he finally got a chance to play in it.

Also from that Man. City side was Ali Bernabia. Was fantastic for them for about 18 months and also had a great career in french league in 1990s.
Never minded Goater too much despite his associations with City. Partly because he was on United's books at one time and I saw him play for the reserves at Old Trafford. Also because I like stories of players getting released then working themselves back up to the top division. Andy Cole released by Arsenal, Kevin Phillips by Southampton etc. City not being a threat to us back then helped too.

Bernabia was great in the Championship or whatever it was called at the time for them, struggled a lot in the top flight. To be fair he was a veteran by then and announced his retirement one season after promotion before having a change of heart to go and play in the Middle East. I remember his first season there coinciding with Ali G being new and popular on tv so he got the moniker Ali B, the City fans I knew at work loved him.

Maybe a bit too late but Pedro Mendes.

I realise he is not less known or anything, he was just a player I always thought was mint to watch :drool:
Seeing as many world famous players or outright Premier League stars are being mentioned on here I think you're safe.

foolsgold

Michael Ball. Left back.

Everton / Rangers / PSV / Manchester City / Leicester City.

One cap for England at 21 years old, really should have done better. Similar player to Luke Shaw

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Samuel Osei Kuffour. Best known for slamming the turf in despondence in the 99CL Final. Lesser known for being a mainstay in defence for Bayern for over a decade.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Q. Who was Spain's 1st choice left back when they won 2008 Euro and the 2010 World Cup?

A. Joan (so forgotten I thought his name was Joao) Capdevila

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

I realise he is not less known or anything, he was just a player I always thought was mint to watch :drool:
He was a very good player, and a key player in Porto Champions League victory. Hardworer, very accurate passer and had an excellent shot on his right foot. Unfortunately he wasn't a fast player and that probably stalled his career.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Samuel Osei Kuffour. Best known for slamming the turf in despondence in the 99CL Final. Lesser known for being a mainstay in defence for Bayern for over a decade.
He was a beast as a CB, despite having a "small frame" for Bundesliga and EPL standards.

GazTheLegend

I know all of those people!

And if I do, everyone does.

Aren't there some really unknown gems?
Lubo Moravcik was incredible, as was Brian Laudrup.

You may have heard of both but it’s worth going on a YouTube adventure to watch them to see quite HOW good they were. They’re not exactly unknown gems but outside of their respective fanbases I expect most people don’t really rate them as highly as they might otherwise.

Last edited:

nobby the legend

Several Bulgarians...we know mostly about Stoichkov, but they had Balakov, Kostadinov and others.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was a very good player, and a key player in Porto Champions League victory. Hardworer, very accurate passer and had an excellent shot on his right foot. Unfortunately he wasn't a fast player and that probably stalled his career.
If he had been blessed with pace he would have been incredible. I remember him signing for Rangers, and in an Old Firm match at Parkhead he made everyone else look like amateurs, it was as if he was playing a different game. He scored an absolute peach too, brilliant.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ibisevic was on fire for Hoffenheim 08-09 (18 in 17 games) but then did his knee, if I remember.
Jefferson Farfan
Luca Toni
Diego Tristan & Valeron.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Yes good player for Spurs, Portsmouth and Portugal.

Of course very well known for a "goal" that wasn't given.:lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Never minded Goater too much despite his associations with City. Partly because he was on United's books at one time and I saw him play for the reserves at Old Trafford. Also because I like stories of players getting released then working themselves back up to the top division. Andy Cole released by Arsenal, Kevin Phillips by Southampton etc. City not being a threat to us back then helped too.

Bernabia was great in the Championship or whatever it was called at the time for them, struggled a lot in the top flight. To be fair he was a veteran by then and announced his retirement one season after promotion before having a change of heart to go and play in the Middle East. I remember his first season there coinciding with Ali G being new and popular on tv so he got the moniker Ali B, the City fans I knew at work loved him.

Seeing as many world famous players or outright Premier League stars are being mentioned on here I think you're safe.
From memory Bernabia did o.k at start of 02/03 but then as you say faded a bit. Typical Keegan team though, you had two strikers in Anelka and Darren Huckerby (from scanning the line ups Goater was used more as a impact sub) then behind you had Bernabia and Eyal Berkovic, neither who would track back much. Shaun Wright Phillips was also coming through that season although think he was played as more of a wing back.

Basically meant the late Marc Vivian Foe had to be N'golo Kante of that team and cover the ground of two players.

Man. City were lots of fun to watch that season (Schmiechel was in goal for them for his final year). The days when they were just a plucky mid table team.

RooneyLegend

Ravel was seen as a talent who could "make it on the world stage". So was Pule. Neither did.

It pains me to say it, but being the best player in SA isn't really an achievement.
My point is Jabu is considered a legend in SA, while Ravels career hasn't gotten off the ground at all. You might think its not much of an achievement but it is to some of us who do watch local football.

Uncle Albert

I remember when Sky had that player cam and it spent 10 minutes on Tino Asprilla and he just walked around the half way line for almost the entire 10 minutes :drool:

a "mercurial" talent though, and one of my fav players from the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leif GW

Juan, the Brazilian centre back at Roma. Was terrific for a few years there, always preferred him to the flamboyant Mexés.

Luis Garcia always made an impression on me when he was with Liverpool.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Dejan Savicevic. I always made a point to try to watch him play when I knew he was in the Milan squad. Back then the three foreigner rule was still in effect so he was not in every game.

Eric's Seagull

Hidetoshi Nakata. He was a hard working , was creative, quick, he was had good techical ability and vision and was an accomplished passer and who possesed a decent shooting ability. In my opinion a very good player. He spebt the majority of his carreer at various clubs in Italy but finished it off with one season at Bolton Wanderers in 2005/2006.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

+ Hadji
+ Naybet
+ Mboma
+ Geremi

#Africa #QualityPost #Expertise # Diversity

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dejan Savicevic. I always made a point to try to watch him play when I knew he was in the Milan squad. Back then the three foreigner rule was still in effect so he was not in every game.

This guy was so good on the ball.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Talent-wise, one of the best. Absolute beast in a one-on-one. Sometimes lacking calmness and composition, prone to the occasional blunder, somteimes a hilarious one. Fan favourite forever!