Good football podcasts (after the Redcafe one)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I used to be a fan of the Guardian podcast which had James Richardson as the host. Then I followed him to the Totally Football Weekly podcast, but I'm finding 1-2 reoccurring guests really annoying.

Michael Cox is one such wanker who just annoys me and has weird views which I don't really find relatable. I like Duncan Alexander as the calm and neutral stats guy, and enjoy the views of Raphael Hogenstein. Julien Laurens is just a clown for the most part so I don't mind hearing him (particularly as others rip into him on the show).

One thing I do enjoy is the wide array of guests they do bring though. Problem is the couple I dislike keep appearing! They seem to have covered experts on most clubs I guess.

Are there any other podcasts out there anyone can recommend? Ones with good insight, decent banter and a strong host?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maybe not quite the style you're meaning but i love the lineker and baker ones.

I thought mr baker's unthinking tweet had finished it but its back for another series and i love their combination of ex legend footballer and massive footy fan.

Amarsdd

Football Ramble - its sort of a comedy football news
Quickly Kevin; will he score? The 90s Football Show - comedy podcast with mostly 90s football names and comedians. I love it when they talk about championship manager 97/98. Oh the memories!
The Peter Crouch podcast - self explanatory

ash_86

I used to be a fan of the Guardian podcast which had James Richardson as the host. Then I followed him to the Totally Football Weekly podcast, but I'm finding 1-2 reoccurring guests really annoying.

Michael Cox is one such wanker who just annoys me and has weird views which I don't really find relatable. I like Duncan Alexander as the calm and neutral stats guy, and enjoy the views of Raphael Hogenstein. Julien Laurens is just a clown for the most part so I don't mind hearing him (particularly as others rip into him on the show).

One thing I do enjoy is the wide array of guests they do bring though. Problem is the couple I dislike keep appearing! They seem to have covered experts on most clubs I guess.

Are there any other podcasts out there anyone can recommend? Ones with good insight, decent banter and a strong host?
Totally football show i can at least digest but not the Guardians one. The hatred is just quite blatant.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The Magic Sponge is quality for some easy listening fun. Mostly funny stories from ex players, with Jimmy Bullard, Rob Beckett and Ian Smith.

It's ended now but there's a good few seasons up.

Mindhunter

It's probably the best of the lot even though they have started stretching themselves quite thin now with the European podcast and another one entirely dedicated to women. Overall, the content is excited with the odd exception. I have hated Julien from the days of his bizarre outburst following PSG's loss in the CL at our hands. He can feck off with his holier than thou attitude and PSG fandom. Micheal Cox tries too hard to sound knowledgeable and reduce every event on the pitch to a function of where players were positioned. He also tries hard to sell his book everytime he is on the show.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The Magic Sponge is quality for some easy listening fun. Mostly funny stories from ex players, with Jimmy Bullard, Rob Beckett and Ian Smith.

It's ended now but there's a good few seasons up.
I’m gutted that they stopped that. Was hilarious.

Snafu17

The Spanish football podcast with Sid Lowe is a decent one.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Magic sponge is a great name for a podcast. That's already attracted me to download it!

Edit - just re read its stopped :(

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Football Weekly and That Peter Crouch Podcast are the best ones imo.

pacifictheme

Football Ramble - its sort of a comedy football news
Quickly Kevin; will he score? The 90s Football Show - comedy podcast with mostly 90s football names and comedians. I love it when they talk about championship manager 97/98. Oh the memories!
The Peter Crouch podcast - self explanatory
Quickly kevin is brilliant. Good shout.

Tony Clifton

La Liga Weekly with Jon Driscoll and our own (albeit briefly) Terry Gibson.

The full title of the pod is El Tel & Jon's La Liga Weekly. Not to be confused with their previous show at Sky Sports.

It's humorous and insightful.

buckooo1978

I listen to a lot

United based

Our own redcafe one is really coming on - well done lads - just try and keep the regularlity up
Rantcast - excellent but you can kind of tell the presenters are getting a bit fed up
Talking Reds - a bit silly at times - does include twitter style nonsense
The Busby Boys - think that's the name - the Wayne Barton one - it's fantastic - no bullshit with it and it's a good listen

General

Second Captains - fantastic - think one of the main contributors - Ciaran Murphy's brother is on here
Football Ramble - don't take it too seriously and it's very enjoyable
The continent - Like this - mix of the humour of FR and some good insight from Horncastle and forget the other one
Football Weekly - ok....Max is funny and a good presenter - its kinda obvious that the likes of Glendenning doesn't watch half of what he talks about
Totally Football - meh - Jimbo became really annoying in this carnation of his podcast - he seems to really like sniping at United. Rafa Honeigstein is a Klopp fanboy.
Times - gave up as I couldn't listen to Marcotti pontificating - arrogant prick

DoomSlayer

I don't really look for that many serious football podcasts, but when it comes to entertainment and comedy value, the CheekySport one is my choice.

I know many people might not like the style of the participants, but the constant back and forth between them is what makes it so funny, at least in my eyes. :lol:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I also listen to United We Stand podcast now and again, usually only when Andy Mitten gets a good guest on. Their monkey bus matchday podcasts are not so great.

I also give RantCast a whirl although got a bit bored of one of them in recent times (I forget their names)

For nonUnited then Quickly Kevin is worth a listen for anyone who remembers 90s footy

Last edited:

Robert

Some great suggestions in here, I’ve longed to see this thread. Surprised nobody has mentioned the World Football Phone In from BBC 5 Live Up All Night. Or at least I don’t think anyone has.

Hosted by a fella called Dotun Adebayo who’s a long time broadcaster, and then with Tim Vickery as his staple co-host and South American correspondent. They supplement this with a correspondent from another region i.e European/Asian/N. American/African football journo.

Granted it can be a wee bit hit and miss on that front cos sometimes you end up with someone like Mina Rizouki who’s clearly clueless about anything apart from sucking up to Juve/Serie A, but for the most part it’s solid, they have great guests and it makes for a very interesting global view of football.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I was just going to bring up World football phone in. That's my ''serious'' football podcast but I haven't listened to it for a while because it is rather plodding at times for want of a better word. But Tim Vickery is ruddy excellent, and Andy Brassell was awesome when he was a regular. These two are great examples to why more journalists should be on mainstream tv rather than your run of the mill ex player pundits.

Football Ramble is built into my weekly schedule, it's everything what I want from a football podcast. Used to be better when they had the Dean Windass hall of fame segment. The audios are still around though. https://www.mixcloud.com/deanwindasshalloffame/ Brilliant stuff, the Kanu and Wembley one are my favourites! :D

saivet

The Ornstein and Chapman podcast by The Athletic is very good. Different to the other football podcasts as they discuss mainly transfers and provide an insight into how transfers happen as well.

They are also doing a daily transfer podcast during January. Only one episode so far, so yet to be seen how interesting it is.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Without really knowing much about it, I once heard the Transfer Window that Duncan Castles does. It was August 2018 (hadn't seen much about Castles at the time) and United had just lost to Brighton away. I heard Castles vehemently defend Mourinho and then go onto say that Pep Guardiola is a three season manager as his players became tired of him pretty quickly - based on anecdotal stuff coming out of Bayern. I tweeted Duncan that Jose had the three season reputation rather than Pep. He replied with a list of things that Jose had done in his third seasons at clubs - some decent achievements mixed with some average stuff. It was all very slanted towards Jose in a really odd way. What came through was that he was willing to offer fairly reasonable balance about Jose's third season record but was very happy to rely on anecdotal whispers about Pep without the same kind of balance and nuance. Totally agenda-driven on a level that journalists aren't usually so brazen about.

My conclusion was that this podcast and chief contributor was mainly just a really weird Jose mouthpiece. Castles remains a strange interest to me - I can't actually believe how incredibly one-sided he is. What do the industry make of him? I've heard James Richardson make the odd dig on his podcast and David Squires once crucified him in his cartoons. A real strange one.

In short, don't listen to that strange guy on his podcast.

Pagh Wraith

StatsBomb is only one I listen to. More informed discussion in one hour than a whole season of clichè-driven talking points on the likes of BT and Sky.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
James Lawrence Allcott youtube channel has a podcast called James & Flav for now. Easy listening, banter, covers a little bit of everything and life.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I like the Guardian Football Weekly one with Max Rushden hosting. It’s quite light and usually makes me laugh even if I don’t always agree with them.

buckooo1978

Second Captains and Football Ramble are the best I feel

love listening to No Question About This (formerly United Rant)

the Warren Barton one is pretty good when he doesn't let Paul Parker drag him down with his outlook - Parker seems to think United issues are Twitter and not the ownership/management

FW decent enough still if you dont take it too seriously

He gets abuse on here but Beyond the Pod with Pilib is a really good listen - he rarely claims to have any inside info but you can tell he loves United and feels every defeat

in terms of the Athletic they have Andy Mitten and Laurie Whitwell - top sources on the club

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
I'm with @Robert and @Gringo. World Football Phone-In is excellent. Tim Vickery is an absolute legend and you do get to hear some great stories on this podcast. It's not for those who want to hear in-depth analysis of specific PL matches, but great for football discussion from an international perspective.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p9f7d/episodes/downloads

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For any Scottish football fans:

Open Goal - Absolutely hilarious, from their Keeping the Ball on the Ground weekly episode with Si Ferry, Paul Slane and Kevin Kyle it's a brilliant hour to listen to, loads of banter and talking about the Scottish leagues. Then you have the special episodes where Si Ferry interviews an ex player or manager and discusses their career. Some brilliant guests have included Ally McCoist, Colin Hendry, the commentator Ian Crocker (who is the best commentator by the way, does all the old firms so an iconic voice in Scotland), Archie Knox and Stuart McCall.
Totally Scottish Football Show - Much more balanced with a couple of Scottish journalists but still quite funny. Always refreshing to hear them talk about the lower leagues too and have some players / managers on discussing their teams.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Been enjoying Youtube clips of the Crouch podcast. The hosts know the right questions to ask and Crouch is refreshingly candid and easy to like.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
US comedian Ian Edwards does his Soccer Comic Rant every week. Loves his Premier League and by the sound of the Liverpool 2-0 United ep he's a United fan too. Very chilled out style perhaps not to everyone's tastes, but there's something good about hearing American talking passionately about our football and towns. Edwards is not quite @AR87 but I'm a fan:

Dave_MUFC

Still think Totally Football Show is the best out there, European weekly show has the best panel out of anyone, and the extras like Golazzo are top class.

I do enjoy Football Ramble too, for something a bit more casual, and quite funny.

Have recently started listening to some of the Athletic podcasts (They have about 20+ now?). United one is okay, although I don't really like Carl Anka. Zonal Marking probably the best of the lot.

Reactions: Jippy

AR87

US comedian Ian Edwards does his Soccer Comic Rant every week. Loves his Premier League and by the sound of the Liverpool 2-0 United ep he's a United fan too. Very chilled out style perhaps not to everyone's tastes, but there's something good about hearing American talking passionately about our football and towns. Edwards is not quite @AR87 but I'm a fan:

Can't believe the slander being directed towards me. Sad.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Still think Totally Football Show is the best out there, European weekly show has the best panel out of anyone, and the extras like Golazzo are top class.

I do enjoy Football Ramble too, for something a bit more casual, and quite funny.

Have recently started listening to some of the Athletic podcasts (They have about 20+ now?). United one is okay, although I don't really like Carl Anka. Zonal Marking probably the best of the lot.
Carl Anka I'd an absolute fool. I don't know why they keep calling him in.

svn

If you're 30 or older, Quickly Kevin is absolutely brilliant.