Good football rules that were binned

LordNinio

Don’t agree with you. You would end up with the very best strikers like Aguero drifting behind the defenders only to rush onside when the ball is pinged over to him. I think it would give a massive advantage to the very best attackers. The rules need adjusting but I agree with this rule.
Where would his advantage be, if he collects the ball with the defenders between him and the goal? Regardless of his starting point.

Josep Dowling

Where would his advantage be, if he collects the ball with the defenders between him and the goal? Regardless of his starting point.
Ok imagine a player that has a fantastic touch like Ozil. He’s behind the defence then rushes onside to ping a first time ball to a player through on goal, surely that’s an advantage.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Golden goal was exciting. If should definitely be brought back.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I hate away goals rule but I hate penalties even more. Everyone who wants to get rid of away goals is promoting more penalty shootouts, which is never a good thing.

The good compromise is to count away goals only after extra time to prevent penalties, but to not have them be the deciding factor after 90 minutes. I thought this was tried sonewehere, but I forgot where it was.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Personally I’d stick half an hour of GG after the half an hour of regular extra time. I really dislike games being decided on penalties and feel that a lot of teams just decide to settle for them once ET starts.
I'd like it if they swapped the shootout and extra time around. Have the shootout straight after the whistle goes on 90 minutes, then whoever wins gets the advantage heading into 30 minutes extra time. The match therefore isn't decided on penalties, the losing team gets a chance to redeem themselves, and it means extra time isn't a defensive snoozefest.

dcullivanio

Rather than having offside beginning at the halfway line, I've wondered about (for offside purposes only) dividing the pitch into thirds with offside only being applicable in the last third of the pitch for the attacking team. Don't know if it would be better in practice but could possibly create more space in midfield. Could even try the offside line being from the furthest point of the 'D' on the 18 yard box.

Also, possibly a deranged idea, but how about limiting the amount of players in the box from a corner kick. Same amount of players for both teams -say 5 each. This would only apply up until the point the kick was taken. It would create a lot of rushing into the box as the ball arrives which could be absolute bedlam but thoroughly entertaining!! It would also minimise Zonal marking and create some lovely tussles!

I still think a sin bin would be an interesting idea depending on the nature of offence. Primarily for dissent matters or time wasting matters.

Away goals should be done away with completely. Utter sh1te rule. At least with penalties one team is actually going to put the ball in the net more than the other and not just dependent on the geographical location they were scored!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I totally agree!

That rule only helped players & agents to make more money. The Bosman rule should be only about contract ending, because what happened before in terms of contract ending was abusive from the clubs part.

The three foreign rule break was just good for the big clubs, who can basically concentrate a lot of talent in the same squad. If they could had only 3 foreign players, small clubs could actually have quality players and the leagues + euopean competitions would be much more balanced.
As a neutral i dont want balance. I want a competitive 4 or maybe 5 strong teams and the rest can be cannon fodders for all i care.

Steerpike

Nobody watches football to see a well organised offside trap. It's a farce how much it is refereed in favour of the defending side.

I agree with those calling for the daylight idea to be made a rule and to scrap offside when receiving the ball in an onside position. We want to see goals and good attacking play - not more whistle blowing by referees.

While we're at it, can we introduce a rule where by any defender who moves his body out of the line he was running in to "shield" the ball from an attacker, is pinged for doing what he's doing. Which is obstructing.
Yes, I agree one hundred percent. It should also cover the time wasting scenario late in the game where a player heads to the corner to shield the ball.

The other thing I find really annoying is referees giving the defending side time to organise a wall for a free kick. The attacking side should always have the option of taking the kick quickly, and should never have to wait until the defenders are ready (the only reason for any delay would be if the referee was in discussion with a defender, for example to issue a card). On the same subject, any defending player deliberately standing over the ball to prevent a quick free kick should be booked - no exceptions.

LordNinio

Ok imagine a player that has a fantastic touch like Ozil. He’s behind the defence then rushes onside to ping a first time ball to a player through on goal, surely that’s an advantage.
Possibly, but rules aren't supposed to be designed to limit the ability of the best players, they're not invented as levellers.

The rule is to stop goal hanging, which in turn means defenders can push up the field and be part of the build up in attacks etc.