Gaming Google Stadia | rcoobc (2019): "Don't be surprised if Google Stadia comes to Xbox One." | RIP: 2019 - 2023

prateik

Isn't there is going to be a free version soon? where you pay for the game and stream at upto 1080p instead of 4k. No added benifits (no free games, no discounts )

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Reddit AMA

Twitter thread with some of the major responses:
  • No achievement UI (will launch 'shortly' after Stadia launch)
  • Existing Chromecast Ultras will not support Stadia on launch day
  • No family sharing - recommended to just purchase another $60 game for your child's account (plan to launch family sharing early next year)
  • No ETA for Stadia on iOS
  • Can only purchase games via phones
  • Stadia Buddy Pass not available to Founders until two weeks after launch
  • Making their own phone mount for the Stadia controller available weeks after launch

Ainu

Reddit AMA

Twitter thread with some of the major responses:
  • No achievement UI (will launch 'shortly' after Stadia launch)
  • Existing Chromecast Ultras will not support Stadia on launch day
  • No family sharing - recommended to just purchase another $60 game for your child's account (plan to launch family sharing early next year)
  • No ETA for Stadia on iOS
  • Can only purchase games via phones
  • Stadia Buddy Pass not available to Founders until two weeks after launch
  • Making their own phone mount for the Stadia controller available weeks after launch
Seems like a total clusterfeck of a launch. I predict loads of fun for those of us who're not buying, sort of like Fallout 76. Not so much for those who are paying to be entertained.

Damien

Staff
Seems like a total clusterfeck of a launch. I predict loads of fun for those of us who're not buying, sort of like Fallout 76. Not so much for those who are paying to be entertained.
Seems clear they rushed it to get the holiday money as well as trying to get sales before the new Xbox/PS5 are officially launched and take over the media coverage.

Ainu

Seems clear they rushed it to get the holiday money as well as trying to get sales before the new Xbox/PS5 are officially launched and take over the media coverage.
Seems about right, with pretty much every feature coming "after launch" (whenever that may be). Don't they realize a completely botched launch is extremely difficult to recover from? I mean look at Xbox One, they've managed to create a lot of goodwill again in recent times but in terms of systems sold, they're still paying the price for that Don Mattrick-inspired disaster of a launch.

Bojan11

The main issue is Google don’t have the games. And the third party games they got have been out for some while. So there’s no real incentive for it. No idea why anyone would actually sign up for it and buy any of those games for full price.

littlepeasoup

Seems about right, with pretty much every feature coming "after launch" (whenever that may be). Don't they realize a completely botched launch is extremely difficult to recover from? I mean look at Xbox One, they've managed to create a lot of goodwill again in recent times but in terms of systems sold, they're still paying the price for that Don Mattrick-inspired disaster of a launch.
It's basically a beta soft launch, early access thing, but marketed as a full product which has been the biggest mistake they've made. The XBox One was up against the PS4 in the same space which made their launch even harder; at the moment Stadia runs unopposed, which does gives them a chance to get their sh*t together before Microsoft properly details exactly what their streaming offering will be. For my money though I think the Xbox streaming service is going to blow Google away with what they'll be able to offer.

Marcelinho87

It's basically a beta soft launch, early access thing, but marketed as a full product which has been the biggest mistake they've made. The XBox One was up against the PS4 in the same space which made their launch even harder; at the moment Stadia runs unopposed, which does gives them a chance to get their sh*t together before Microsoft properly details exactly what their streaming offering will be. For my money though I think the Xbox streaming service is going to blow Google away with what they'll be able to offer.
Unopposed? Shadow exists and is fairly popular.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
You still have to pay for the games though. The 9.99 is effectively the monthly price to rent their hardware. Is that worth it?
But not for the 12 launch titles if you pay the 9.99, right? Or do you have to buy those too? Surely not?

Bojan11

But not for the 12 launch titles if you pay the 9.99, right? Or do you have to buy those too? Surely not?
You pay and you get one free game added to your collection plus 4K resolution. The free version launching next year gets you 1080p.

Ainu

You have to buy them separately, even with a paid subscription. The Pro subscription of 9.99/month gives you access to 4k@60 gaming and a Destiny 2: Shadowkeep for free. Note that Destiny 2's base game is available for free on all platforms, so the only free game you actually get with your paid subscription is a single piece of DLC.

The only people who'll be able to play from November 19th are those who bought the Founder's Edition or Premiere Edition, which costs around $130 and includes a Chromecast Ultra, Stadia controller and 3 months worth of Pro subscription. So even those people will have to buy all games other than Destiny 2: Shadowkeep and will have to continue paying 9.99/month once their initial 3 month period runs out.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
You pay and you get one free game added to your collection plus 4K resolution. The free version launching next year gets you 1080p.
Huh? So let's say I subscribe for the pro version now (9.99€/month), are you telling me I will only be able to play one single game when it comes out next week? Because it can feck off if so.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
You have to buy them separately, even with a paid subscription. The Pro subscription of 9.99/month gives you access to 4k@60 gaming and a Destiny 2: Shadowkeep for free. Note that Destiny 2's base game is available for free on all platforms, so the only free game you actually get with your paid subscription is a single piece of DLC.

The only people who'll be able to play from November 19th are those who bought the Founder's Edition or Premiere Edition, which costs around $130 and includes a Chromecast Ultra, Stadia controller and 3 months worth of Pro subscription. So even those people will have to buy all games other than Destiny 2: Shadowkeep and will have to continue paying 9.99/month once their initial 3 month period runs out.
:lol: What? That's ridiculous if true. I thought I was going to be able to play RDR 2 on my shitty pc at last ffs. feck this then. I'll just "acquire" it the old fashion way and play it on shitty settings instead. Not going to let these bastards rip me off like that.

Ainu

:lol: What? That's ridiculous if true. I thought I was going to be able to play RDR 2 on my shitty pc at last ffs. feck this then. I'll just "acquire" it the old fashion way and play it on shitty settings instead. Not going to let these bastards rip me off like that.
To clarify: once Stadia has it's "real" launch, you won't necessarily need a Pro subscription, that's only if you want to play 4k@60fps. I'm not sure when it releases in full - sometime next year in any case - but at that point you can get the free sub and play games in 1080p. So in your case, you will be able to just buy RDR 2 and play it without monthly charge. Which is a decent deal if you're willing to give up any sort of game ownership.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
To clarify: once Stadia has it's "real" launch, you won't necessarily need a Pro subscription, that's only if you want to play 4k@60fps. I'm not sure when it releases in full - sometime next year in any case - but at that point you can get the free sub and play games in 1080p. So in your case, you will be able to just buy RDR 2 and play it without monthly charge. Which is a decent deal if you're willing to give up any sort of game ownership.
Yeah, that's not too bad I guess. I'll wait and see how this turns out.

Bojan11

Microsoft’s offering is way better if people are interested in streaming. 3500 games already compared to what google will offer which is nothing.

Castia

Xbox have already blown this out of the water it’s completely doa.

Ainu

Microsoft’s offering is way better if people are interested in streaming. 3500 games already compared to what google will offer which is nothing.
We need some more details (especially in terms of pricing) but yeah this looks a lot better. At the very least, game ownership still exists as you can actually buy games you can still play on local hardware and at the same time you have Game Pass as an alternative option. Compared to Stadia... It's embarrassing for Google.

Damien

Staff
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...t-stadia-games-pro-subscribers-get-discounts/

Stadia Launch Games Pricing
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey - $59.99 $30.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Gylt - $29.99
  • Just Dance 2020 - $49.99
  • Kine - $19.99
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - $59.99 $41.99 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - Launch Edition - $59.99
  • Samurai Showdown - $59.99
  • Thumper - $19.99
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - $59.99
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - $29.99
  • Tomb Raider 2013 - $19.99 $10.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Final Fantasy XV - $39.99 $29.99 Stadia Pro Deal
Special Editions:
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey Stadia Ultimate Edition - $119.99 - $60.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition - $89.99 $62.99 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition - $79.99
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultimate Edition - $99.99

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
People who actively want this to fail are basically hoping thousands of people lose their money just so they can feel superior.

It's a commercial product. If you don't want it then don't buy it. No need to shit on people who have bought it.

Imagine standing in the supermarket and pointing at people buying Mountain Dew just because you hate it. That's you that is...

:D

Castia

People who actively want this to fail are basically hoping thousands of people lose their money just so they can feel superior.

It's a commercial product. If you don't want it then don't buy it. No need to shit on people who have bought it.

Imagine standing in the supermarket and pointing at people buying Mountain Dew just because you hate it. That's you that is...

It’s the fact Google don’t even seem to believe in it. Zero hype and almost no advertising, they can’t be confident in the technology.

0le

As someone above stated, we need more reliable internet connections around the world for this sort of thing to take off. Its a good idea, just too soon.

Bojan11

Who wants it to fail?

There’s no selling point and it’s all rushed out. They don’t have the catalogue of the other three companies or even Steam to do this. It’s just another thing that Google will end up half arsed about and not doing much about.

Everyone is laughing at how incompetent google have been.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
It could have been great if they really had tried to be the netflix for gaming.

It wouldn't surprise me if people were willing to pay 2 or 3 times their actual fee for that, I know I would.

Bojan11

We don’t need people wanting it to fail when it’s working like that. It is going to fail.

Also yeah it’s day one, but this is why you have a beta or something for this sort of stuff to be fixed. MS have been doing it for months with Xcloud.

Ainu

I disagree. I want this to fail because I don't want Google to have any significant influence in the gaming industry. It has nothing to do with feeling superior or wishing people lose their money.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
They haven't designed this from the perspective of something people want, they've done it the usual google way of tech demo for something they think will define the future.

However, the biggest problem is they've aimed straight away at a market they shouldn't have, AAA games competing with home consoles. Instead of being unique and having games built for the machine like, say Nintendo would, they've tried to simply go with what everyone else has and hell to latency issues. What's escaping a lot of people is that the latency won't just affect controller inputs, which is a much bigger deal than some realise, but also the visual quality. Especially when it comes to heavy use of shaders. Even on a great home connection, to get the top end performance consistently and throughout the whole gaming session is a pipedream.

Will gaming eventually be this way? Of course, we all know it's the future. However, the good old google method of shit sticking shouldn't and hopefully won't work. Because they aren't innovating here at all, they are just testing future tech and how they can squeeze money out of the different areas for the investors. And like they always do, they'll drop it the moment their attention is drawn elsewhere whilst the real players who have spent the past 10 years inching closer and closer to this format will pull it off when the tech is ready. I mean, it's why we have had game passes and online subscriptions for ages now. It's why the likes of EA and ubisoft have got involved more.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This should be our new shirt sponsor. The way it’s been handled must resonate with every fan.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I disagree. I want this to fail because I don't want Google to have any significant influence in the gaming industry. It has nothing to do with feeling superior or wishing people lose their money.
Some people seem to forget this place isn't reddit or twitter and we don't often have the same reactions as those bitch-fests can and often do.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Digital Foundry's two pence.

Edit: RDR 2 running at 1440p @ 30 FPS. Other games are upscaled to 4K 30fps like Shadow of The Tomb Raider. I was wondering how they were going to run 4K 60Fps with a similar Gpu to Vega 56 -- now I know -- they can't.

Last edited:

Ainu

"Working with developers to build features that unlock gaming experiences only possible on Stadia."

Proceeds to show Doom Eternal, which runs with significant input lag compared to all other platforms. Next up is Octopath Traveler, a game with enhanced retro, SNES-like graphics first appearing on Nintendo Switch. Only possible through the power of Stadia, people!

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I’ve had stadia since launch and it’s been great for me. I bought division 2 for 8.99 and assassin’s creed odyssey with all dlc for £24.

I completely get that some people will not have the unlimited fast internet or functional need for this, but for those of us who do, it’s been a revelation. I can be playing destiny on my pc browser or phone from a cold start using a PS4 controller within about 45 - 60 seconds. For the division 2 it’s about 1 minute.

people worried about their games libraries elsewhere and not physically owning games etc, but honestly, none of this matters. It’ll only get better as well.

Andy_Cole

I’m interested in this just for FIFA. I don’t want a massive console taking up space in my living room. If I can get the latest FIFA and literally just have to pay a subscription plus the game fee (rather than £400 for the latest console) then I’m interested.