Gaming Google Stadia | rcoobc (2019): "Don't be surprised if Google Stadia comes to Xbox One." | RIP: 2019 - 2023

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The advantages are obvious, I won't dispute that. And these days, with so many digital game purchases, game ownership is already a bit of an illusion. Certainly in my case, if I had to guess I'd say well over 90% of my purchases have been digital in the last +-5 years. But at the same time, I still have a working PS1 lying around with a decent collection of working games. I will admit I almost never touch them, but still, I feel comfortable in the knowledge that if I feel like it, I could simply fire it up again. Just as I don't feel comfortable in the knowledge that, if they would choose to, Google could shut down a 5 year old game if it was really unpopular or something. It might never happen, but it's still an uneasy situation.

And one other case to consider: PT demo. This was pulled from the PS Store, so you can't get it anymore. Yet I'm still able to play it, as I have it installed on my PS4 HDD. I even transfered it to my new HDD when I upgraded to PS4 Pro. In the world of game streaming, the decision to pull the game would mean I'd never be able to play the game anymore. That's something I just can't accept.
My son plays my old PS2 and PS1 games on my old PS2 which he has in his room.

I have a backwards compatible PS3 (the European emulation model, not the US model with the PS2 chip) and a PS4, so I can play my PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 discs on my downstairs TV.

I love it. Of course, I don't actually have time to play any games so it's a bit of a moot point!.

If Sony released a PS4 Pro model with the PS3 Cell and PS2 Chips built in, I'd be very tempted by that just to help keep my collection alive...

But at the same time.. Half-Life 2 being a Steam game means I still have access to that game 20 years later. If Sony turn on the ability to play our digital PS3/PS4/PS5 collections on PS Now - that extends the life of my digital collection.

I think - if done properly - the move to online streaming could be good for consumers. If done badly - it will be awful.

rcoobc

So I'm trying PS Now again this evening. Performance is more choppy now (peak internet time). I thought Sonic CD would be a good test and it was quite bad in places.

Reset the PS4 internet connection and now I'm playing Daytona USA! I've been waiting to get that on PS3 for ages (I refuse to pay £7 for it!)

It's so good and fast and now feels really good

DAYTONNNAA

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Looks nice! Not sure if I ever played it (perhaps on an arcade?) but it brings down memories of a friend I had who was the ultimate SEGA fanboy back in the '90s

rcoobc

Looks nice! Not sure if I ever played it (perhaps on an arcade?) but it brings down memories of a friend I had who was the ultimate SEGA fanboy back in the '90s
Get a PS Now trial and play it!

It won't change your life or anything, but its really selling me on game streaming

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Well I've recently picked up a nasty Apex Legends addiction which made me use my PS4 for the first time in years, so I might as well give it a go this weekend. Do they have those oldskool Sonic the Hedgehog games too?

rcoobc

Well I've recently picked up a nasty Apex Legends addiction which made me use my PS4 for the first time in years, so I might as well give it a go this weekend. Do they have those oldskool Sonic the Hedgehog games too?
They have Sonic CD and some of the newer ones, but not Sonic 1 or Sonic 2

diarm

Google's history of entering markets with new products suggests otherwise.
Really?

Look at how Google disrupted the search engine, advertising, smartphone industries. Yes they have a mixed record when it comes to their own hardware but this seems exactly the sort of industry paradigm change that google flourishes in - when they create a platform which didn't exist before for other manufacturers to make them money within.

They'll change the landscape of gaming and provide an infrastructure for smaller, more talented game developers to create the games they wouldn't have been able to make without the Stadia platform. Just like HTC, Motorola, Oneplus etc, none of them might be as big on their own as Playstation or Xbox (Apple), but as a whole Google will take over the market share.

rcoobc

What this really shows is what a great console the PS3 was at the end.

Daytona USA
Sonic 1, 2, CD
Spyro trilogy
Crash trilogy
Classic Disney Games (Hercules, Bugs Life, etc)
Sly Cooper
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Metal Gear Solid
Grand Theft Auto
Red Dead Redemption
Call of Duty
Portal 2
Bioshock
Infamous
Little Big Planet
Killzone
Uncharted
Last of Us
Borderlands
Tomb Raider
Worms
Kingdom Hearts
Bully
Prince of Persia

And even though you can't buy them on the store, you can play PS1 discs so Gran Turismo, Tony Hawk, etc

There is 3+ generations of great games on the PS3. It's a real shame they killed PS Now on it, or you could be playing PS4 and PS5 games on there too

rcoobc

Really?

Look at how Google disrupted the search engine, advertising, smartphone industries. Yes they have a mixed record when it comes to their own hardware but this seems exactly the sort of industry paradigm change that google flourishes in - when they create a platform which didn't exist before for other manufacturers to make them money within.

They'll change the landscape of gaming and provide an infrastructure for smaller, more talented game developers to create the games they wouldn't have been able to make without the Stadia platform. Just like HTC, Motorola, Oneplus etc, none of them might be as big on their own as Playstation or Xbox (Apple), but as a whole Google will take over the market share.
Their recent history has been awful

Google Reader - Loved by many. Killed by Google. - Disruption level 4/10
Google Wave - Lots of fanfare. No one used it. Killed by Google. - Disruption level 2/10
Google Glass - Lots of fanfare. No one used it. Killed by Google. - Disruption level 3/10
Google Plus - Lots of fanfare. No one used it. Killed by Google. - Disruption level 1/10
Google Cardboard - Little fanfare. Not sure if it was just meant to be an example to manufactures on how to do VR. - Disruption level 3/10
Google Nexus Lineup - Originally designed to show manufacturers how to make decent Android Phones - Disruption level 5/10
Google Pixel Lineup - Google going toe to toe with Apple. Why? - Disruption level 6/10
Google Chromecast- One of the few innovative products they have created recently - Disruption level 8/10
Android Auto - Who? - Disruption level 1/10
Android TV- Who? - Disruption level 1/10

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Really?

As rcbooc showed, their recent history absolutely sucks. You're right that the google of old were the kings of pioneering new platforms but they still rely on those for something like 90% of their revenue.

It remains to be seen what happens, it might be a big success, imo it'll all depend on the games library.

Ainu

Really?

Why do you think the part in bold will happen?

Cloud7

I personally have no interest in this, but then I might be old fashioned. Over 90% of my PlayStation games are hard copy, because I don’t like digital copies. The only time I resort to hard copy is if I absolutely can’t stand the wait to get my hands on a physical copy.

This may well be the future, though I hope not, but I’ll resist for as long as I can.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I personally have no interest in this, but then I might be old fashioned. Over 90% of my PlayStation games are hard copy, because I don’t like digital copies. The only time I resort to hard copy is if I absolutely can’t stand the wait to get my hands on a physical copy.

This may well be the future, though I hope not, but I’ll resist for as long as I can.
I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy compared to a digital one. You pay more buying through the PSN Store, but the convenience of being able to preload it ahead of launch, and then not having to change discs vastly outweighs having to pay a premium for being able to do so.

I have also had discs in the past become unreadable - granted not very many, but it has happened. Have not had an issue with a digital download yet.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy compared to a digital one. You pay more buying through the PSN Store, but the convenience of being able to preload it ahead of launch, and then not having to change discs vastly outweighs having to pay a premium for being able to do so.

I have also had discs in the past become unreadable - granted not very many, but it has happened. Have not had an issue with a digital download yet.
Welcome back to that world when you can't connect to a server at a decent speed. In fact, welcome to a far more laggy and annoying world...

Runner

I'm skeptical and concerned about the future of gaming if this takes off.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm skeptical and concerned about the future of gaming if this takes off.
Competition can only be a good thing. And we will always have physical hardware as long as the people want it. Lot's of people like building PCs, buying graphics cards etc.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So I'm trying PS Now again this evening. Performance is more choppy now (peak internet time). I thought Sonic CD would be a good test and it was quite bad in places.

Reset the PS4 internet connection and now I'm playing Daytona USA! I've been waiting to get that on PS3 for ages (I refuse to pay £7 for it!)

It's so good and fast and now feels really good

DAYTONNNAA
I've lost count the amount of money I put into arcade's playing this with my mates. that phrase is an absolute classic.

afrocentricity

I've lost count the amount of money I put into arcade's playing this with my mates. that phrase is an absolute classic.
Yea I used to love getting into the cars at the Trocadero. Fecking hell that must be mid 90's?

Edit: My bad got it mixed up with Sega Rally.

rcoobc

I'm not sure what my foray into PS Now has shown me other than, despite the compromised experience, streaming games does work well

And Daytonnaa is still really fun. So is Red Faction

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
As rcbooc showed, their recent history absolutely sucks. You're right that the google of old were the kings of pioneering new platforms but they still rely on those for something like 90% of their revenue.

It remains to be seen what happens, it might be a big success, imo it'll all depend on the games library.

You mean depends on the internet speed?

Without actual programs and data on our handheld it'll take a supercomputer and 6g to send input from the handheld to the server, server to process the game, repackage into visual and audio and broadcast them back to handheld.

It might work on turn based game but not on action/fps games, at least not on current technology

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Welcome back to that world when you can't connect to a server at a decent speed. In fact, welcome to a far more laggy and annoying world...
Unless you need it instantly nothing a nitesleep while downloading cant fix.

It may get slower during big game launch, but a few hours tops is still reasonable for a game you only need to download once

Adam-Utd

Yea I used to love getting into the cars at the Trocadero. Fecking hell that must be mid 90's?

Edit: My bad got it mixed up with Sega Rally.
That too buddy, although that was on my Sega Saturn :D shame sega took such a dive as they had come classics

rcoobc

I've been playing RDR Undead Nightmare on it as I didn't complete it first time round and then sold my copy.

It's often times.. completely perfect. It's quite amateurish that the game (and most PS Now games) often reference a PS3. "Don't turn off your PS3". Google Stadia obviously won't have that issue.

But the game itself sometimes runs 100% okay (dropping the occasion frame at peak times), and input lag often doesnt seem much worse than my PS3. I have decent internet these days, and BT must have done a lot of work because when we first got fibre it was pretty bad. I was trying to live stream caf games of Red Alert at one point and it wasn't capable of doing that. Actually at 9 mbps up, it still probably isn't.

But - it can stream 1080p games perfectly (at times). Google Stadia is actually something I could buy and play today.

Sony's PS Now offering is funny, because it's mostly PS3 games and older PS4 games (many of which were PS Plus titles), which probably cost an average of £5 each from CEX. At £10 a month, there is no real value there.

But - as I keep saying - if they turned PS Now into a virtual PS3/PS4/PS5 console and allowed you to play any game you've bought digitally on there (not just the 400 games you get for subscribing) it could be worth it. Why buy a £400 PS5 when you can pay £10 a month for a virtual one? You know what I mean.

Anyway - the point is - I started this trial as an experiment but now am just enjoying Undead Nightmare

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Anyone know what the subscription fee will be?

Bojan11

Launch in November in 14 countries (including Canada)
- You can preorder the "founder's edition" of Stadia for 169$ today, which includes the gamepad, a Chromecast Ultra (which is 6cm in length), Destiny 2 and three months of subscription
- Stadia works through a subscription only at first. The Stadia Pro sub costs 11.99$ per month and will include streaming up to 4K/60fps. Note that only "older" games will be included in this sub, and more recent games will have to be bought separately.
- A separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.
- 10mbps in download/1mbp in upload is the minimal requirement, with 35mbps required for 4K "optimal comfort".
- You'll need the Chromecast for Stadia to work at launch, but it's planned to work through any Google device with Google Chrome in 2020.
- Games planned include Destiny 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Divison 2, DOOM, all three Tomb Raider games.
- Line-up will have 31 games at launch.
Press conference today, but apparently details have been leaked.

So you have to buy newer games, so what’s the point of the sub? It’s like Netflix saying you have to buy newer shows separately. That wouldn’t be value.

I just don’t see the point of this. Google have no back catalogue like MS or Sony. Both of those have thousands of games and their services will be more value for money.

Reddy Rederson

Press conference today, but apparently details have been leaked.

So you have to buy newer games, so what’s the point of the sub? It’s like Netflix saying you have to buy newer shows separately. That wouldn’t be value.

I just don’t see the point of this. Google have no back catalogue like MS or Sony. Both of those have thousands of games and their services will be more value for money.
So pay to play games you bought? They really do treat people like fecking morons don’t they.