Gaming Google Stadia | rcoobc (2019): "Don't be surprised if Google Stadia comes to Xbox One." | RIP: 2019 - 2023

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Tried this. Received the controller through a promotion. All I can say is that its absolutely diabolical. Graphics are 720p and pixilated with horrendous artifacts and banding. If this doesn't end up in the Google grave yard ill be majorly surprised.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I got given a controller and Chromecast ultra from my brother, probably did the same promotion as @Paxi

Can't wait to try it out though.

Will say, me and my brother were both in agreement that it's a service that's not gonna last. Great idea but not sure about the execution.

Paxi

I got given a controller and Chromecast ultra from my brother, probably did the same promotion as @Paxi

Can't wait to try it out though.

Will say, me and my brother were both in agreement that it's a service that's not gonna last. Great idea but not sure about the execution.
For sure. I bet Microsoft will make it work. Its something that will work but Googles attempt has been half arsed imo.

Amarsdd

Tried this. Received the controller through a promotion. All I can say is that its absolutely diabolical. Graphics are 720p and pixilated with horrendous artifacts and banding. If this doesn't end up in the Google grave yard ill be majorly surprised.
What sort of internet connection did you try it with? Wasn't really interested in it but now as I'm also getting one soon through that youtube premium promotion I'm kinda interested in trying it.

Paxi

What sort of internet connection did you try it with? Wasn't really interested in it but now as I'm also getting one soon through that youtube premium promotion I'm kinda interested in trying it.
580mbs down. I connected the chromecast through ethernet as well.

Aye it was a youtube premium promo.

ChaddyP

I ordered this through my YouTube premium. Mostly for the free chrome cast. Will probably give away the controller. Best download speed I can get is about 120mbs. Not sure if that's enough to play a game efficiently

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I ordered this through my YouTube premium. Mostly for the free chrome cast. Will probably give away the controller. Best download speed I can get is about 120mbs. Not sure if that's enough to play a game efficiently
that is easily enough, but it does depend on your ping and connection.

I have PS Now ad a 30 mbps connection. At peak times the connection is poor but outside of those times connection is perfect.

But then again, maybe I just randomly have a good connection to Sonys servers

ChaddyP

that is easily enough, but it does depend on your ping and connection.

I have PS Now ad a 30 mbps connection. At peak times the connection is poor but outside of those times connection is perfect.

But then again, maybe I just randomly have a good connection to Sonys servers
thats a fair point. not very hopefull but will see if its worth my coin

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I've had stadia for a year now. In that time it's largely worked perfectly fine. I get destiny over WiFi at 1080p 60fps with only occasional glitches.

I would say that the service is clearly mixed in that for some people it never works and for others like me, it's worked nearly flawlessly over an extended period.

I have 350meg Internet and rarely get less than 180 so that is likely a big factor in why it works for me.

GaryLifo

thats a fair point. not very hopefull but will see if its worth my coin
Just checking, but you know that you can also just buy a game and own it on the platform without a subscription?

I ask as it's the most common misunderstood aspect of stadia.

ChaddyP

Just checking, but you know that you can also just buy a game and own it on the platform without a subscription?

I ask as it's the most common misunderstood aspect of stadia.
Yeh I know but that would basically relieve me Of its novelty as I can use my gaming pc for buying games.

Tiber

I've had stadia for a year now. In that time it's largely worked perfectly fine. I get destiny over WiFi at 1080p 60fps with only occasional glitches.

I would say that the service is clearly mixed in that for some people it never works and for others like me, it's worked nearly flawlessly over an extended period.

I have 350meg Internet and rarely get less than 180 so that is likely a big factor in why it works for me.
Destiny on Stadia must be a lonely experience?

marktan

Stadias biggest problem is the amount of people who think you have to be a subscriber to play games that you have purchased in the store.

The poster above who is waiting for OMD 3 on steam, could just sign up for an account and buy that game then play it on stadia whenever he/she wants without any further money outlay.
Wait, so can I buy say Pubg through stadia and not be a subscriber and still play it? I signed up for a free stadia trial today, I get that the free games they let you claim you lose access to if you're no longer subscribed, but I had a look through the stadia store and couldn't even find a search box to search for games I'm interested in.

Anyway I'm looking forward to playing this this week, I think the main reason I signed up to this because Ive been watching a lot of pubg streams and getting the itch, checked out geforce now a while ago but if I remember correctly Pubg isn't available on there.

I think I fit their target market reasonably well - I have a macbook Pro which is a poor gaming laptop but I don't really want to shell out for a gaming pc as I rarely play. If it runs reasonably well I'll probably get my sister to subscribe as well - though will depend on how well it runs at lower Internet speeds as I have about 60mbs download and she has less if I remember properly.

GaryLifo

Wait, so can I buy say Pubg through stadia and not be a subscriber and still play it? I signed up for a free stadia trial today, I get that the free games they let you claim you lose access to if you're no longer subscribed, but I had a look through the stadia store and couldn't even find a search box to search for games I'm interested in.

Anyway I'm looking forward to playing this this week, I think the main reason I signed up to this because Ive been watching a lot of pubg streams and getting the itch, checked out geforce now a while ago but if I remember correctly Pubg isn't available on there.

I think I fit their target market reasonably well - I have a macbook Pro which is a poor gaming laptop but I don't really want to shell out for a gaming pc as I rarely play. If it runs reasonably well I'll probably get my sister to subscribe as well - though will depend on how well it runs at lower Internet speeds as I have about 60mbs download and she has less if I remember properly.
In short, yes, if you buy pub g then you can play without subscription.

Best bet is to see how well it works for you in the free trial and decide from there.

GaryLifo

Destiny on Stadia must be a lonely experience?
The crucible and gambit playlists aren't massively busy, but the strike playlist, tower and patrol areas usual are pretty busy.

I mainly use it to do solo stuff during lunch breaks etc. For this it's great. Super fast load times too.

marktan

In short, yes, if you buy pub g then you can play without subscription.

Best bet is to see how well it works for you in the free trial and decide from there.
Turns out actually pubg discontinued keyboard and mouse support for stadia last month. I swear it's the biggest mission to play that game short of stumping out on a gaming PC haha, I signed up to the Geforce now beta a year ago only to find out when they gave me access they didn't even support it

Guess me and PC games just aren't meant to be

GaryLifo

Turns out actually pubg discontinued keyboard and mouse support for stadia last month. I swear it's the biggest mission to play that game short of stumping out on a gaming PC haha, I signed up to the Geforce now beta a year ago only to find out when they gave me access they didn't even support it

Guess me and PC games just aren't meant to be
well that's rubbish. I can't use kbm due to disability issues, but I understand how important it is to those that do.

marktan

Currently a deal that if you buy Cyberpunk on Stadia you get a free controller/chromecast Ultra

https://stadia.google.com/game/cyberpunk2077?hl=en-gb

Very tempting.
That is pretty tempting. I was thinking to buy a chromecast, and will probably play cyberpunk on Ps4 so that ticks two boxes for me. You get about £130 worth of stuff for £50. I guess the questions is how would it run on the TV vs a normal console? I have about 60mbps down but haven't tried out any games yet on stadia.

Also not sure what a chromecast ultra is, looks like it's not sold anywhere anymore. Edit - looked it up and it supports 4k vs only 1080p on the £30 chromecast, looks like the chromecast ultra though has been replaced for active sale by the chromecast with Google TV, and is only available through the stadia premiere option

Last edited:

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
That is pretty tempting. I was thinking to buy a chromecast, and will probably play cyberpunk on Ps4 so that ticks two boxes for me. You get about £130 worth of stuff for £50. I guess the questions is how would it run on the TV vs a normal console? I have about 60mbps down but haven't tried out any games yet on stadia.

Also not sure what a chromecast ultra is, looks like it's not sold anywhere anymore. Edit - looked it up and it supports 4k vs only 1080p on the £30 chromecast, looks like the chromecast ultra though has been replaced for active sale by the chromecast with Google TV, and is only available through the stadia premiere option
If you have a Nintendo Switch, get the Control 10 minute demo and that will give you an idea of how streaming will work on your Wifi.

The fact that Google seem desperate to give away Premier packs isn't exactly promising though.

marktan

If you have a Nintendo Switch, get the Control 10 minute demo and that will give you an idea of how streaming will work on your Wifi.

The fact that Google seem desperate to give away Premier packs isn't exactly promising though.
Ah cool I'll give that a go

I was going to bin stadia after signing up a couple of days ago to play pubg and finding out it no longer support keyboard and mouse, but I might actually buy this deal as it's a really good offer. Kind of forcing your hand, which might be the intention of Google as a sort of loss leader to get you on to their platform. The only benefit for me on this vs buying cyberpunk on the Ps4 is that I basically get a £50 chromecast ultra for free. The problem is though I wouldnt ever see myself buying anything else on stadia, unless they start releasing more pc games with keyboard and mouse support, as everything else you'd just buy on console

Though an additional benefit is that I'll probably create a new stadia account, and buy cyberpunk via that, that way I can share the login with my sisters at my mums house so they can play on there laptops too if they want

Last edited:

Stactix

Imagine thinking Stadia was anything other than a failure.
I was under that impression but decided to have a play after seeing this deal.
Within about 5minutes of setting up my account I'm playing risk for rain 2 with no issues with the month free, I then died and decided to try the app on my phone.. within seconds I'm at the death screen from my PC and having another go, once more working pretty well. Obviously it's not a graphically heavy game and 4k cyberpunk might be a different story..

Wanted a chromecast anyhow and another controller to my collection is always nice. Plan on buying Cyberpunk again in the future but my tech needs upgrading.

xbox x/PS4 and a PC that'll probably run it on low-med settings.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Don't blame them. Stadia is in for some serious trouble if they don't change their gameplan.

Currently you have Lord Microsoft bringing out xCloud later in the year with its never-ending supply of fantastic Gamepass games, and also companies like Geforce offering cloud-gaming capability for any game you buy on Steam and Epic Store.

Getting beyond its initial problems, what Stadia does is going to look mighty crap if it can't increase the service of games available for subscribers.

Et tu, Google?

Ainu

Everything about Stadia is going exactly as we all expected. If this service still exists in 5-10 years, I'll be shocked.

Bojan11

Thanks for the update.
Saw your posts in the PS5 thread and what a load of tripe. I had to hold myself back but as this threads nearly dying, I won’t here. Didn’t you say a few months ago that you couldn’t tell the difference between FPS? Now suddenly you turned into Digital foundry. You been smoking?

And what happened to playing new games?

Green_Red

For sure. I bet Microsoft will make it work. Its something that will work but Googles attempt has been half arsed imo.
There are some awesome videos about the infrastructure that Microsoft have built their latest flight simulator on. All the AI etc. I can imagine a future where gaming platforms are like hybrid. You need a certain amount of computing power locally but then the Internet provides another layer in terms of data processing.

GwilDor

A bit overdramatizing here no? They’re stopping the game development side. Meaning there will be no exclusives(like Halo, The last of us etc) for Stadia. At least not in house developed exclusives. As for recreational gamers like me, thats not too much of a problem. I mean, if you want one of the other exclusives, Stadia won’t give you that fix anyways.

Paxi

Another one for the google graveyard.

Paxi

Can’t say I’m surprised by the way. Absolutely awful service from start to finish.