Google staff walk out over women's treatment

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Person that’s really good at job gets paid to leave job.

It’s not like the pay off was for being really good at harassment. He crafted their mobile OS ffs.

You work for Google. Applaud your efforts for trying to make a point. But the payout was justified.

He left (probably) because his personal conduct was bad. He still generated billions of dollars for them. He deserves a pay out by the standards of the whole companies structure.

Just be happy that he’s gone.

Idiots.
He had $50m from Google when they bought his startup that created the OS; this was before he joined Google.

Silva

Person that’s really good at job gets paid to leave job.

It’s not like the pay off was for being really good at harassment. He crafted their mobile OS ffs.

You work for Google. Applaud your efforts for trying to make a point. But the payout was justified.

He left (probably) because his personal conduct was bad. He still generated billions of dollars for them. He deserves a pay out by the standards of the whole companies structure.

Just be happy that he’s gone.

Idiots.
they want it to be easier to get rid of and seek criminal prosecution of people who harass and abuse their coworkers, calling them idiots while missing their point is peak stupidity

Blatzo

Whilst everything mentioned in your quote might not be 'tasteful,' it's all consensual - or at least that's how it's presented.

Silva

Whilst everything mentioned in your quote might not be 'tasteful,' it's all consensual - or at least that's how it's presented.
“Being owned is kinda like you are my property, and I can loan you to other people.”
how do you read that as being anything other than sociopathic and exploitative, he literally wrote an email saying he owns her and can do whatever he wants, this motherfecker shouldn't be allowed outside, let alone be an executive in a large company

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
they want it to be easier to get rid of and seek criminal prosecution of people who harass and abuse their coworkers, calling them idiots while missing their point is peak stupidity
I didn’t miss their point. I’m calling them idiots for their point of leverage.

Silva

I didn’t miss their point. I’m calling them idiots for their point of leverage.
yeah you really did, this was just the case that pushed them over the edge and made them take collective action over googles practices and standards, you'd be one of the pushovers who stood at their desk as the rest of workers demanded more rights

this is what they're asking for:

1. An end to forced arbitration in cases of harassment and discrimination for all current and future employees;
  2. A commitment to end pay and opportunity inequality;
  3. A publicly disclosed sexual harassment transparency report;
  4. A clear, uniform, globally inclusive process for reporting sexual misconduct safely and anonymously;
  5. The elevation of the chief diversity officer to answer directly to the CEO, and make recommendations directly to the board of directors;
  6. The appointment of an employee representative to the board.

not to get money back from a former employee

Last edited:

Silva

The New York Times, which broke the Rubin story, also reported allegations of sexual misconduct against a number of other Google executives. These included Richard DeVaul, a director at the Google-affiliated lab that created far-flung projects such as self-driving cars and internet-beaming balloons.

DeVaul had remained at the X lab after allegations surfaced about him a few years ago. He resigned on Tuesday without a severance package.

UnrelatedPsuedo

yeah you really did, this was just the case that pushed them over the edge and made them take collective action over googles practices and standards, you'd be one of the pushovers who stood at their desk as the rest of workers demanded more rights

this is what they're asking for:

1. An end to forced arbitration in cases of harassment and discrimination for all current and future employees;
  2. A commitment to end pay and opportunity inequality;
  3. A publicly disclosed sexual harassment transparency report;
  4. A clear, uniform, globally inclusive process for reporting sexual misconduct safely and anonymously;
  5. The elevation of the chief diversity officer to answer directly to the CEO, and make recommendations directly to the board of directors;
  6. The appointment of an employee representative to the board.

not to get money back from a former employee
Silva. I read it all. I get it.

This one thing.... it’s not like all the other shit. It’s really not.

America is the most relentlessly Capitalist society on the planet. Google is (almost definitely if we discount the Military grey areas) the very sharpest tip of that spear.

In that culture..... People that ‘matter less’.... Get. Screwed.

All of their points are valid but the inclusion of Rubin is ignorant and muddies some crystal clear waters. How many of your quoted points are making banner headlines right now? Almost none.

For some colour: My friend works at Google. She didn’t walk out. Since the walk out she’s been low-key marginalised by those that did. Give those fcuking idiots a round of applause. She had experienced nothing but phenomenal support from her employer but because she has a vagina and a husband she’s supposed to rally behind something that is not even a part of her world? For choosing not to..... [insert drumroll].... she’s discriminated against.

I’m as Liberal as anyone I’ve met. I love all human beings equally. But this overcompensating nonsensical bullshit from left-leaning agents is pathetic.

Of course everyone should enjoy the same opportunities. But if you work at the Apex of Capitalism and expect everyone to get treated equally from Janitor to savant genius.... fcuk off basically. It’s not right. But it’s the way of the world at times. Recognise what needs to change but apply some form of common sense to what’s never going to.

Silva

In that culture..... People that ‘matter less’.... Get. Screwed.
yeah that's what the protestors want to change

All of their points are valid but the inclusion of Rubin is ignorant and muddies some crystal clear waters. How many of your quoted points are making banner headlines right now? Almost none.
they wouldn't get a chance to make those points if googles past actions didn't become public

For some colour: My friend works at Google. She didn’t walk out. Since the walk out she’s been low-key marginalised by those that did. Give those fcuking idiots a round of applause.
feck yeah, your friend sold them out and should be distrusted by any worker who demands their rights

I’m as Liberal as anyone I’ve met. I love all human beings equally.
But this overcompensating nonsensical bullshit from left-leaning agents is pathetic.
which one is it are you a loving liberal or are left leaning agents

actually what the feck does left leaning agents even mean?

Of course everyone should enjoy the same opportunities. But if you work at the Apex of Capitalism and expect everyone to get treated equally from Janitor to savant genius.... fcuk off basically. It’s not right. But it’s the way of the world at times. Recognise what needs to change but apply some form of common sense to what’s never going to.
it's amazing how quickly you went from i love all humans to feck janitors

UnrelatedPsuedo

yeah that's what the protestors want to change

they wouldn't get a chance to make those points if googles past actions didn't become public

feck yeah, your friend sold them out and should be distrusted by any worker who demands their rights

which one is it are you a loving liberal or are left leaning agents

actually what the feck does left leaning agents even mean?

it's amazing how quickly you went from i love all humans to feck janitors
I’m a realist. Not an idealist.

Google is a corporate juggernaut. People will get crushed.

If I ruled the world I’d abolish the entire Capitalist construct and start again.

I also never said ‘feck Janitors’. But by god you’re being obtuse of you don’t think more people can be a Janitor than run top tier projects at Google.

America operates on a system that fcuks people over. Pointing this out while working at one of these institutions is never going to garner my sympathy.

Finally. You know nothing about my friend, her situation or work history. I get to use her as an illustrative point as I know her personally and am aware she had workers turn on her because she stood up for her own experience. YOU don’t get to do that. By doing so you show how far you’ve disappeared into your own hazy principles. ‘She sold them out’. The fcuking nerve of you.

It’s possible to be Liberal but also hang onto your own ideas and ideals. Give it a whirl, see what original thoughts you may own.

Silva

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's maybeline

Google is a corporate juggernaut. People will get crushed.
yes that is what is happening and what the workers are organising to change

If I ruled the world I’d abolish the entire Capitalist construct and start again.
i thought you were a realist

Finally. You know nothing about my friend, her situation or work history. I get to use her as an illustrative point as I know her personally and am aware she had workers turn on her because she stood up for her own experience. YOU don’t get to do that. By doing so you show how far you’ve disappeared into your own hazy principles. ‘She sold them out’. The fcuking nerve of you.
look you've only given us a rose tinted version of her events from a friendly perspective and she sounds like a pushover, it's your fault if your own story makes her sound like a weak sell out

Silva

Co-ordinated action of this scale is unprecedented at a Silicon Valley company, but follows a trend for increasingly impassioned employee activism.

"Women are fed up, and I don't think it's just women,” said Prof Kellie McElhaney, from the Haas School of Business.

"There are a lot of ‘manbassadors' out there who are equally as fed up and using their positions of power and voice, which can cost Google money. I think you have to hit these companies where it hurts.

"I think it empowers other Google offices when women and men are watching this happen, that they can do a similar action that's not just sitting by or making comments to one another or sharing emails."
On Tuesday, another executive - this time from the company’s X research lab - also resigned. Richard DeVaul was said to have made unwanted advances towards a woman who was recently interviewed for a job in which she would have reported to him.

Mr DeVaul has not commented since his resignation, but has in the past called the incident an "error of judgement".

At least 48 other employees were sacked for sexual harassment without receiving a payout, Mr Pichai told staff. He admitted the New York Times’ report had been "difficult to read".
seems to be working so far. hopefully they get the big ticket items, worker representation on the board and an end to forced arbitration, too

UnrelatedPsuedo

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's maybeline

yes that is what is happening and what the workers are organising to change

i thought you were a realist

look you've only given us a rose tinted version of her events from a friendly perspective and she sounds like a pushover, it's your fault if your own story makes her sound like a weak sell out
It has taken me far too many posts to realise that you’re a troll.

For what it’s worth....

- I am a realist. You’ve said nothing to counter that, beyond a hackneyed glib comment.
- Regarding my friend... how is standing up for what you believe in, being a pushover? Your logic is broken. No part of my story makes her a sell-out. She’s literally the embodiment of everything that your heroes are fighting for. A Smart and Successful woman, thriving in a system that supposedly hampers her. She’s standing up for what she believes to be true, even in the face of criticism from people that have no idea of her own personal experience.

Yours is the same busted logic that wants to have it both ways. “Yes i’d Be a good soldier but no I wouldn’t have gassed the Jews”. You’re believing your own bs.

Following the mob because their collective voice says you should... it’s not a good idea. Life is a product of your own experiences and I’m sorry, there’s far more likely that she’d hold the attention of a room full of 100 random people than you.

You can’t even recognise two key things;

1. I have endorsed every single thing that the Google walkout was for. (I merely objected to the inclusion of Rubin as a point of leverage)
2. You are endorsing my friends colleagues decision to marginalise and suppress her for not agreeing with them. That pretty much puts you against all the principles they walked out for.

I don’t know if it’ll be a threadban or a forum ban for calling you a monumental knobber... but I’m happy to roll the dice.

Find some original thoughts.

Silva

No part of my story makes her a sell-out. She’s literally the embodiment of everything that your heroes are fighting for. A Smart and Successful woman, thriving in a system that supposedly hampers her. She’s standing up for what she believes to be true, even in the face of criticism from people that have no idea of her own personal experience.
none of my heroes sit out a protest demanding workers rights because they're comfortable with what they have

Yours is the same busted logic that wants to have it both ways. “Yes i’d Be a good soldier but no I wouldn’t have gassed the Jews”. You’re believing your own bs.
i'd have been one of the degenerates who got shot in the head long before the camps were built

Following the mob because their collective voice says you should... it’s not a good idea. Life is a product of your own experiences and I’m sorry, there’s far more likely that she’d hold the attention of a room full of 100 random people than you.
good for her

1. I have endorsed every single thing that the Google walkout was for. (I merely objected to the inclusion of Rubin as a point of leverage)
your opening gambit was to call them idiots

I don’t know if it’ll be a threadban or a forum ban for calling you a monumental knobber... but I’m happy to roll the dice.
I love all human beings equally.

Last edited:

Silva

welcome to the original, definitely not cliche, thoughts of a great poster

Find some original thoughts.
I am a realist.
I’m happy to roll the dice.
The fcuking nerve of you.
I’m as Liberal as anyone I’ve met. I love all human beings equally.