Gordon McQueen

Betson

Sad to see this , top player for us when he was here.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Have looked and not seen a thread for this. Not good news. He was a great CB - absolutely dominate in the air and pretty quick given his size. Another one with dementia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56168698
Bollocks :(

Lots of good memories of him in my early days, the goal in 79 Cup Final being one (a day embedded in my memory forever) but generally, a solid no-nonsense defender for Leeds, us, Scotland...

Sad.

Saddy

Just been reading the article and it was pretty much the time I started going to matches - I remember Gordon scoring a soaring header from a corner against Bolton ( I think! ) and he never held back from a powerful header as it flew into the net.

A big centre half who didn't hold back and pretty quick as well - very prone to a dibble up the pitch with the ball that never resulted in much but got the crowd going !

I would think this is going to fuel the dementia/heading agenda and place league authorities under pressure for compensation and possible restrictions.

On a personal note I'm really sorry to hear the news and wish him all the very best.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Feel for him and his family.Must be tough for Hayley to present right now

Delano

I saw him on a train about 18 months ago when I was going to visit some family up north. He came to his stop and got off, but was struggling up the ramp so I offered to help him up, which I did.

Such a sad sight to see a giant of a man struggling with his walking and speech. Really awful news this.

Last edited:

arthurka

Sad news. Always liked him when he was on MUTV another hard hitter suffering from this decades after the damage was done. Feel for him and heart goes out to his people.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I saw him on a train about a 18 months ago when I was going to visit some family up north. He came to his stop and got off, but was struggling up the ramp so I offered to help him up, which I did.

Such a sad sight to see a giant of a man struggling with his walking and speech. Really awful news this.
It's really sad to see the heroes of yesteryear struggling physically. I saw Lou Macari at Piccadilly a while back and he was limping really badly and looked in real pain. I felt awful watching him, remembering what a great little player he was

Revaulx

Awful news. He’s only five years older than me.

On his day he was a great player. His career rather petered out due to his becoming increasingly injury-prone; a recurring theme at United, especially in the 80s.

Moriarty

It's really sad to see the heroes of yesteryear struggling physically. I saw Lou Macari at Piccadilly a while back and he was limping really badly and looked in real pain. I felt awful watching him, remembering what a great little player he was
It's sad to see those great players going through this. I remember him signing for us in 1978 along with Joe Jordan and not long after, Ray Wilkins came. Dementia is a cruel condition. I've seen it up close in my family. It has robbed us of so many of those players we grew up watching. Nobby Stiles, Martin Peters, Jeff Astle, and even Bobby Charlton lives with the diagnosis.

Moriarty

On his day he was a great player. His career rather petered out due to his becoming increasingly injury-prone; a recurring theme at United, especially in the 80s.
70s too. Ian Storey-Moore was crippled by injury. Denis Law needed pain-killing shots to get through a game, John Fitzpatrick, God rest his soul, had to quit the game because of his knees and later, he too was diagnosed with dementia.

FireballXL5

He was one of my faves back in the day. A real no nonsense defender.

One of my relatives has just been diagnosed with it. The hardest part is knowing there is no escape.

Revaulx

70s too. Ian Storey-Moore was crippled by injury. Denis Law needed pain-killing shots to get through a game, John Fitzpatrick, God rest his soul, had to quit the game because of his knees and later, he too was diagnosed with dementia.
Indeed.

Classic Sir Matt quote re Fitzpatrick: “He’s not a dirty player; he just has a bit of trouble with his timing” :lol:

wolvored

Yes was going to say 7 years older than me. Very sad and scary

Moriarty

Indeed.

Classic Sir Matt quote re Fitzpatrick: “He’s not a dirty player; he just has a bit of trouble with his timing” :lol:
Had a reputation did Fitz. It got him sent off in the San Siro against Milan in the 1969 EC semi. Hamrin needled him and Fitz threw a punch at him.

Foxbatt

I remember the Cup Final replay against Brighton when he flattened Foster.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
So young to get it. Makes me worry. I have taken some knocks to my head when younger.

simplyared

Yes saw this earlier on today. Him being a centre half, and all those balls he must have headed, makes the connection of the illness with football more and more probable.
Made 184 apps for us. Very dominant defender. Him and Joe Jordan both Scots and both signed from Leeds around the same time.

Coleyoscar

This news is very sad. Gordon was a major signing for United, a great player in a side with some real stars. He was a giant for us in his day.
It's a cruel condition and awful that it has afflicted so many of the wonderful footballers that older fans like me remember with such fondness.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Met him and Paddy Crerand whilst working as a steward one day whilst waiting to go to my post. Both came up to me and my colleagues whilst they were going somewhere in the stadium, as if we're all just normal lads greeting each other. Shook both their hands, starstruck is not something i usually feel, but I was! Sad news.

Fully Fledged

Loved Gordon McQueen growing up he was an immense player. It's not a surprise they way that he played the game that it would have impacted his brain. I wish him all the best and truly believe that we have to look at heading the ball in football.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
This is terrible news...I never really rated him as a defender, particularly tactically nor his man marking skills. Great in the air and bombing forward though.

I wish him all the best but sadly think we be hearing more about these types of illnesses connected with football.

A real shame.