Government intervention against a Super League

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Great. So now we want this most corrupt government intervening????? Let's stop being emotional here.
You can't say the club owners are shite (which they are) and in the next breath want another corrupt set to now intervene? Like what on earth is this?

Eriku

Great. So now we want this most corrupt government intervening????? Let's stop being emotional here.
You can't say the club owners are shite (which they are) and in the next breath want another corrupt set to now intervene? Like what on earth is this?
Why? You make it sound like it’s a choice between ESL and the Tory league. The government intervening could mean a preservation of what we’ve got, I don’t see why we wouldn’t want them to intervene just because they’re cnuts?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So wanting government intervention and regulation on issues stops being valid if you don't like the government? What a bizarre take.

The Original

I'm a lawyer, but not in this field.

Competition law may well bite here. The issue however, is the potential for clubs to become embroiled in expensive litigation which could run for years, particularly against the likes of UEFA or FIFA, with whom I assume there is some kind of agreement in order to compete in the previously sanctioned events.

The biggest practical threat here is an inability to compete in existing domestic competitions, for however long, since without that, there is no income and no club. Players will also not sit by any watch their careers ebb away, unable to play international football or (perhaps) domestic football for months or years.

I actually think the best chance of stopping this is threatening players with the inability to play at international tournaments. The top players are bigger than the clubs and without their support, this whole thing falls apart.
The players would then sue on grounds of unfair restrictions to the practice of trade/right to work etc, wouldn't they?

predator

Youth NITK
It's a tricky one.

The tories would win so much of the British public support if they could somehow curtail this super league and I'm sure they all know it.

But will they really want to start economic warfare on powerful Americans?

Our best bet is for major fan protests and boycotts, and it needs to be worldwide, which is unlikely i'm afraid.

Jazz

Why? You make it sound like it’s a choice between ESL and the Tory league. The government intervening could mean a preservation of what we’ve got, I don’t see why we wouldn’t want them to intervene just because they’re cnuts?
First of all I don't give a shit to Tory or Labour - I don't like politicians full stop - they are all the same..
Secondly, the government is not gonna do anything for the good of the fans or the game. I can't believe you believe that. They are only going to make it worse under the guise of upholding our football values/traditions.

They just make things worse, but carry on.

Spark

Competition law may well bite here. The issue however, is the potential for clubs to become embroiled in expensive litigation which could run for years, particularly against the likes of UEFA or FIFA, with whom I assume there is some kind of agreement in order to compete in the previously sanctioned events.

The biggest practical threat here is an inability to compete in existing domestic competitions, for however long, since without that, there is no income and no club. Players will also not sit by any watch their careers ebb away, unable to play international football or (perhaps) domestic football for months or years.

I actually think the best chance of stopping this is threatening players with the inability to play at international tournaments. The top players are bigger than the clubs and without their support, this whole thing falls apart.
Agreed. I also think that the crunch with governments will come with the affect on future world cups.

When you have the French selling Qatar missiles in return for a vote allowing them to host the World Cup, that's a strong signal of how politically important the World Cup is to nations and a very big lever for FIFA to pull.

This is all incredibly depressing, however there's a very slight chance that the ESL group have now played their entire hand. Not sure what else they can turn to totally undermine Football.

Jazz

So wanting government intervention and regulation on issues stops being valid if you don't like the government? What a bizarre take.
To date, they have shown they don't do anything for the good of anyone but themselves. Why should I suddenly trust them with this?! It's not logical in my book.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Theoretically government could put a stop to this thing. I mean Thatcher took us out of Europe.
I know it was going to happen anyway but she instructed the FA to do it.

Something similar perhaps? I mean torys go with the wind. Create enough smoke and they’ll cave.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I was thinking about competition law here. Even ignoring the super league itself should teams in a position of market dominance be allowed to collude with each other in a plan exclude other clubs from potential future earnings? Could they already have broken the law?

Also @Brophs

Classical Mechanic

Perez has been leading this for years, he just has in the yank owners bods who are more than happy to partner him.
Whilst Perez has wanted something like this I'm hugely sceptical that it was him who brought JP Morgan in and structured it. These are American businessmen using a major American bank and structuring the League like an American sport. They all own other American sports teams. It's pretty clear to me who is driving this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Do you realise that regulators work independent from the government? They have to. That’s part of their raison d’etre.

Paxi

This would be a major turn off to Brazilian players. After watching that Pele documentary, I’m convinced winning the World Cup for Brazil is literally most important thing for them and their people. Good luck trying to convince Brazilians not to play for their country.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Julian Knight MP, chair of the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, speaks
“This is a dark day for football – a deal done behind closed doors apparently with no regard for supporters.
“Though this idea was mooted several months ago, what’s shocking is the speed at which this breakaway league has been announced.
“What’s needed is a fan-led review of football with real teeth and here we have more evidence to strengthen the case for it.
“Football needs a reset, but this is not the way to do it. The interests of community clubs must be put at the heart of any future plans.
“We, the Committee, will be discussing this when we meet tomorrow in a private session.”

Oranges038

They can/will do feck all.

Can't FIFA/UEFA ban national teams from competitions if there is government interference into football?

Eriku

First of all I don't give a shit to Tory or Labour - I don't like politicians full stop - they are all the same..
Secondly, the government is not gonna do anything for the good of the fans or the game. I can't believe you believe that. They are only going to make it worse under the guise of upholding our football values/traditions.

They just make things worse, but carry on.
True. The world would probably be better with NO government intervention, as everything they do is a negative.

Somewhat hysterical take, mate.

RedRover

The players would then sue on grounds of unfair restrictions to the practice of trade/right to work etc, wouldn't they?
Maybe. That's potentially complex. I suspect sanctioning bodies, would argue that they can decide on criteria as to who can play and who doesn't and in the short term, I suspect will act drastically. In respect of domestic competitions, it'd be the clubs I suspect who are kicked out, not the players per se, so that's a different issue.

And being a litigator, if I were a player I wouldn't want to spend millions on legal fees, or end up part of a long running class action case which might run for years, all the while I'm sitting on my arse, unable to play whilst it's all unravelled. You miss one World Cup, that may be it for you. Players won't have the appetite for that, they'll just want to play football.

People forget, the top players already earn big money. This change benefits the clubs' income but not astronomically to a point where the average "top 6" player will suddenly be taking home a £1 million a week to make the potential negatives worthwhile.

cyberman

Theoretically government could put a stop to this thing. I mean Thatcher took us out of Europe.
I know it was going to happen anyway but she instructed the FA to do it.

Something similar perhaps? I mean torys go with the wind. Create enough smoke and they’ll cave.
What can they do though? They arent threatening to leave English football.

Paxi

So what does he mean?My brain has ceased to function. Will this be stopped?

BULB

Whilst Perez has wanted something like this I'm hugely sceptical that it was him who brought JP Morgan in and structured it. These are American businessmen using a major American bank and structuring the League like an American sport. They all own other American sports teams. It's pretty clear to me who is driving this.
JP Morgan are only financing it against future TV revenue.
They would have shopped around for the cheapest rates.

Paxi

What can they do though? They arent threatening to leave English football.
It could be argued that they are. The competitive environment will be gone. When ESL brings much more money than the domestic league then there is not point in it. Just undermines the whole thing.

Paxi

Maybe. That's potentially complex. I suspect sanctioning bodies, would argue that they can decide on criteria as to who can play and who doesn't and in the short term, I suspect will act drastically. In respect of domestic competitions, it'd be the clubs I suspect who are kicked out, not the players per se, so that's a different issue.

And being a litigator, if I were a player I wouldn't want to spend millions on legal fees, or end up part of a long running class action case which might run for years, all the while I'm sitting on my arse, unable to play whilst it's all unravelled. You miss one World Cup, that may be it for you. Players won't have the appetite for that, they'll just want to play football.

People forget, the top players already earn big money. This change benefits the clubs' income but not astronomically to a point where the average "top 6" player will suddenly be taking home a £1 million a week to make the potential negatives worthwhile.
Could players simply not be told to then go and join a club where they are eligible to play. Pretty easy way to solve a problem.

RedRover

I was thinking about competition law here. Even ignoring the super league itself should teams in a position of market dominance be allowed to collude with each other in a plan exclude other clubs from potential future earnings? Could they already have broken the law?
I would say that's definitely arguable, although it's a very grey area.

I think the issue is that people often don't realise that having the fight can be as damaging as the outcome. If the PL say, for example, - "that's it, you're out", then even if, through Court Proceedings, the clubs could get back in, the damage that'll do in the short term is significant if it means a year or two of reduced income, less matchday revenue or all of the usual TV money.

Clubs are not "rich" per se, with war chests full of cash, as the Covid pandemic has shown, They have high turnover but massive outgoings. The owners of a few clubs could obviously afford to fund the fight, but would they? Why have this fight if other clubs in your cartel are going to go the wall and take the whole idea down with it?

There's a lot of water to pass under the bridge here. The clubs are strong, but not strong enough, in my view to simply roll over FIFA and UEFA - or, crucially, the Premier League itself. It's be interesting to see how it plays out.

cyberman

It could be argued that they are. The competitive environment will be gone. When ESL brings much more money than the domestic league then there is not point in it. Just undermines the whole thing.
It was gone when City and Chelsea were allowed to be taken over. In a weird case this would increase the quality of the title race if more sides have money and City are capped.
Plus transfer fees will rocket. Money will be splashed about. I just think there's too much of an argument either way for this to stick.
Challenge this and everything is on the table going the other way. Theres so much that football relies on that will be destroyed in court.

The Original

I imagine while the case drags on there will be interim injunctions one way or another so the players won't be compelled to decide on the basis of their present-term economic well-being.

I also think Courts will be inclined to agree that Fifa banning players from playing for their national teams over playing in the ESL is both the exercise of an unfair bargaining position, as well as being, fundamentally, the very same conduct in character, that Fifa would be accusing the ESL clubs of.

SwedishFish

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes a Tory government will turn down 3.5 BILLION in direct starting revenue for each of the founding clubs in a covid year.

Get real.

RedRover

Could players simply not be told to then go and join a club where they are eligible to play. Pretty easy way to solve a problem.
It would be up a player, I would assume, to decide whether they want to stay or push for a move on. That creates more complexities between players and clubs, because of their respective contractual positions. Clubs won't want to see valuable assets walk away.

It creates a huge problem for clubs however, if their star players say they want to go, because clubs not in the ESL (who may find themselves new backers as the game splits in two) offer them comparable contracts and the lure of international football.

RedRover

I imagine while the case drags on there will be interim injunctions one way or another so the players won't be compelled to decide on the basis of their present-term economic well-being.

I also think Courts will be inclined to agree that Fifa banning players from playing for their national teams over playing in the ESL is both the exercise of an unfair bargaining position, as well as being, fundamentally, the very same conduct in character, that Fifa would be accusing the ESL clubs of.
They might. In three years, when the process is resolved. The simple fact is, right now, FIFA and UEFA can do what it likes until a Court orders otherwise.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If Boris stops JP Morgan then there will probably be no trade deal with the US.

RedRover

Agreed. I also think that the crunch with governments will come with the affect on future world cups.

When you have the French selling Qatar missiles in return for a vote allowing them to host the World Cup, that's a strong signal of how politically important the World Cup is to nations and a very big lever for FIFA to pull.

This is all incredibly depressing, however there's a very slight chance that the ESL group have now played their entire hand. Not sure what else they can turn to totally undermine Football.
Indeed. There's a race still to be run here I think.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think they'll try to exert political pressure at least. This is an attempted hostile American take over of a British crown jewel industry that a significant part of the electorate are vehemently against.
They aren't going to do anything. A simple letter saying the domestic league won't be affected and the government will forget this ever happened.