Graeme Souness: Pogba can't be trusted and should be used as impact sub

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
'There are question marks about France. Like Jose Mourinho at Manchester United'

'He should draw a line under that. You can't trust him as a central midfielder and, ultimately, that's how Deschamps will see it. He could use Pogba as an impact substitute.

'If you're 1-0 up, you're not bringing him on to close the game down. If you're chasing the game, he might do something, but still doesn't understand the midfield role properly.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-France-use-Paul-Pogba-impact-substitute.html

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sourness can't be trusted and should only be used by Liverpool Echo for quotes.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He is obsessed but he also has a point with Pogba.

How are France likely to line up?

Minimalist

As usual with Souness, he's on the right lines but jacks it up to 1000 for no reason.

Pogba is unreliable but he's not a sub either (didn't pay all that money to warm the bench). Either he makes it or he fecks off somewhere else.

Castia

He’s got a personal issue with Pogba, the amount of time he’s gone on a rant about him is becoming a bit weird.

James Peril

It’s just so incredibly annoying. Fact is, without Pogba we would not be 2nd last season. He is the best midfielder we have by far and we are 2nd, not 6th. His stats are much better than Eriksen and on par with the best in the league, but for some reason he’s judged differently. MotM in basically 50% of our games, he’s wank because he doesn’t show up in a few? Utterly ridiculous, Pogba’s a great player

Moriarty

Imagine if Pogba played for Liverpool. Then it would be 'Pogba must captain France. He's the greatest since Zidane." Souness is a tool.

Minimalist

It’s just so incredibly annoying. Fact is, without Pogba we would not be 2nd last season. He is the best midfielder we have by far and we are 2nd, not 6th. His stats are much better than Eriksen and on par with the best in the league, but for some reason he’s judged differently. MotM in basically 50% of our games, he’s wank because he doesn’t show up in a few? Utterly ridiculous, Pogba’s a great player
Well he's not our best midfielder and us getting 2nd isn't down to him. That's the issue.

Camilo

For France, he absolutely has a point.

For us, obviously he's not going to sit on the bench, but he's got to show a lot more if he's to stay in the team. 90 million pound player, and I'd suggest he's yet to have a single performance at the level most of us would have expected.

This.

What's his problem with Pogba? It's bizarre:lol:
He's literally everything Souness hates.

Flashy, skillful, marketable, and he plays for Manchester United. Souness probably has a picture of him on his dartboard.

He was also a complete failure as a manager and his opinion on who should play where is not worth listening to.

Kapardin

Souness is usually bitter towards United, no doubt, but I think this time he wasn't intending to take a dig a Pogba because he plays for United. He just doesn't rate Pogba pure and simple.

While he has a point about Pogba, no way is the latter a mere bench player as he suggests. Everything in moderation.

CA1

He's partly right to be honest. I agree that Pogba doesn't read the game very well.

But he goes on and on and on about the same thing.

TsuWave

Pogba needs to pull up on this dickhead and ask him if he wants 5 minutes. bare knuckles.

Like, I get criticising and doing your half assed job as a pundit, but this dude seems to have an obsession.

Denis79

He's like a fecking parrot, repeating the same shit over and over... and over.

Such a bitter old cnut.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Haha.

I'm reading some serious sensitive posts here. Souness has said current Pogba would struggle to get in ahead of Tolliso, Kante, NZonzi and Matuidi in a midfield 3.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with him, it's not an outrageous suggestion.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Stopped reading at "Graeme Souness"
He did know a thing or two about playing in midfield at the highest levels in fairness. What surprises me is how people have entirely forgotten that he's already shown he can be a reliable member of a title winning team at Juve. If it didn't happen in England it might as well have never happened at all for the British pundits. Whether he's capable of being the star is clearly up for debate but he's obviously able to be a cog in the machine

Minimalist

In what world!? Look at the stats, look at his impact.
Stats aren't everything - especially when you pick and choose which ones you use. Pogba missed lots of games this season - that alone means he can hardly be key to our league finish. I don't think Pogba was awful either by the way - that's not what I'm suggesting. But a reliable key player? No he's not.

Matic was the best midfielder and I question how anyone can come to any other conclusion if you watched all the matches last season.

vangagal

Haha.

I'm reading some serious sensitive posts here. Souness has said current Pogba would struggle to get in ahead of Tolliso, Kante, NZonzi and Matuidi in a midfield 3.

I think you are Sourness. :p
Regarding his point, if Pogba doesnt understand what CM do than what the hell was he doing till today? He s a CM or at least he is a midfield.
What i dont get about this time he doesnt explain what is a CM do or what Pogba suppose to do, he just on his usual delusional ranting about Pogba. And a pundit telling a NT coach to do about his job? Amazing
You can blast Pogba but if you not offer tactical hindsight about what you criticised for, i dont think he is qualified as pundit.
I dont think he is right, he just delusional.

yo@Kirk

For the money, Pogba should excel at whatever midfield role Mourinho assigns him. He doesn't so Mourinho has to buy Fred to be the all energy box to box CM so Pogba can enjoy a free role as attacking CM. Hopefully, Pogba will be a consistent attacking threat with the support Matic and Fred will provide for him in a midfield 3. But United shouldn't have to play a midfield 3 due to Pogba's limitations in a midfield 2.

arthurka

I agree with Souness here . Pogba hasn't shown anything close to being a reliable leader for us or France . Souness has a problem with him because he is so annoying as a player as he could do almost anything he wants but often tends to do little or nothing . Sadly I see where Souness is coming from here. .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think you are Sourness. :p
Regarding his point, if Pogba doesnt understand what CM do than what the hell was he doing till today? He s a CM or at least he is a midfield.
What i dont get about this time he doesnt explain what is a CM do or what Pogba suppose to do, he just on his usual delusional ranting about Pogba. And a pundit telling a NT coach to do about his job? Amazing
You can blast Pogba but if you not offer tactical hindsight about what you criticised for, i dont think he is qualified as pundit.
I dont think he is right, he just delusional.
I think there are many people outside of Souness that have asked this question throughout broad periods of his time with us. Lampard, Scholes, Giggs, Henry and the whole of Skysports ask the question "what is his position", "how do you get the best out of him" and so on. Unless you think all pundits are wrong and he's a central midfielder and shouldn't be dropped for France, I don't know what Souness has said that is so terrible?

From Souness' stand point it's probably regarding the defensive duties and generally getting about on the pitch. Pogba has been criticised by his own fans/media for just walking about on the pitch and you don't need to look past say Newcastle where he was bullied by Jonjo fecking Shelvey. I don't actually know how he fared against USA so I won't bother commenting. I don't agree with Souness that he should be dropped all together but I wouldn't be surprised if he was at the same time. There are many good midfielders for France capable of influencing games more consistently.

There are many games thankfully where he has stepped up, but it's all too consistent.

finneh

He was voted man of the match on 7 occasions last season. Half of which were in games we won at a canter.

Souness exaggerates the point but Pogba absolutely needs to develop further and understand the central midfielder role much better. At 25 he isn't a youngster anymore and should be entering his absolute prime.

His time at Juventus halted his development signiticantly in my opinion.

Canagel

Conte and Allegri disagree. Mourinho and Deschamps so far have failed to get the best out of the player. That's their problem . We have already seen the player is not a bad player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
For the money, Pogba should excel at whatever midfield role Mourinho assigns him. He doesn't so Mourinho has to buy Fred to be the all energy box to box CM so Pogba can enjoy a free role as attacking CM. Hopefully, Pogba will be a consistent attacking threat with the support Matic and Fred will provide for him in a midfield 3. But United shouldn't have to play a midfield 3 due to Pogba's limitations in a midfield 2.
This is what I hope too. That Fred will actually release Pogba. It's a bit of a cliche logic and has been through many false dawns but I think Fred might actually be the player to help Pogba focus more on creating.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Why would he? Maybe United should know what kind of midfielder they are breaking the bank on instead of asking a zebra to be a stallion.

finneh

Agreed. The problem with opting for the 4-3-3 system in every game we play is knowing where a lot of the goals come from. With Jose's original Chelsea team you knew you'd get 20+ goals from Lampard so the front three didn't all have to be prolific.

With United I can't see those goals. You try and look for the 80+ PL goals and even if Lukaku/Sanchez/Lingard/Rashford/Martial get 55 between them, is Pogba really going to be getting the 15 we would need?

The goals are obvious in a 4-2-3-1 if you have a Griezmann type player centrally in the 3 as you have 50 goals straight away with him and Lukaku.

Is the opportunity cost of playing Pogba in that role worth the drop in goals from say Sanchez playing as a second striker and Martial from the left who as a trio with Lukaku would probably guarantee 55 goals between the 3 of them? Watching a far too isolated Lukaku last season I'd say not.

I would also argue that Pogba therefore needs to develop into a much better box to box midfielder as part of a midfield two. He needs to stop the lapses in concentration, work much harder and no doubt he could become a phenomenal player.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
His time at Juventus halted his development signiticantly in my opinion
That's an interesting opinion that I haven't heard before. Why do you think this is?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Doesn't understand the midfield role!
This is a guy who went for a world record transfer fee, not some clown down the park.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They should get a fecking petition going. Set of hypocritical, murdering, deluded cnuts.

Wrong thread? Who cares. Scouse bastards.
This word, I suspect gets you banned.
See ya

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Haha.

He won't struggle to get in ahead of those guys. He'll be first pick.

finneh

That's an interesting opinion that I haven't heard before. Why do you think this is?
I think technically he developed, but that was the part of his game that required developing the least. Playing at a club that will win Serie A every single season they don't implode, against many opposition teams that are Championship quality at best and alongside Pirlo and Vidal skewed his development.

At an age where most players are learning the mental side of the game and fundamentally trying to improve their decision making; he was focusing merely on standing out to a world audience. Attempting 1/100 shots from ridiculously far out and showboating his way into the headlines.

He could absolutely get away with it in that Juventus squad, but his ambitions should have been much larger than being a luxury player in a monopolous league.

We essentially bought a technically better version of the 19 year old that left. Mentally he is still the kid that was stinking up the reserves at times because he thought it was below his level.

I have a feeling he'll end up as a phenomenal player at around 30. He's lost 4 years of mental development, which in the central midfield role is the most vital development.