Graeme Souness: Pogba can't be trusted and should be used as impact sub

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How is he wrong? We are two points from the relegation zone. This is the reality. We don’t have time to transition our gameplay if we can’t even win game. And anyway at what point has Ole proved to have a style of football as a manager? It’s basically counter attack which doesn’t work against 14 of the teams in the league, or park the bus.

At this moment in time we need points on the board to survive this season.
So we should just sign random players. It's incoherent drivel.

Josep Dowling

So we should just sign random players. It's incoherent drivel.
That wasn’t what Souness was saying. The point he was making was we need a goal scoring striker and he’s not wrong. We sold one and didn’t get anyone in. That clearly showed the manager felt Martial and Rashford would get the goals.

Martial and Rashford won’t score lots of goals for us, they never have done. The rest of our squad doesn’t contribute enough goals. Only Pogba has reasonable goal scoring stats from midfield but he was taking penalties last season.

Neville used Firmino as an example of ‘the type of striker Ole wants’. Liverpool have two wingers scoring 25 plus goals a season to compensate. Every big club has a goal scorer. We don’t.

Has Ole even tried 4-3-3 with a inverted CF? Never for us, so why all of sudden does Neville thinks he wants a certain type of striker?

DoomSlayer

That wasn’t what Souness was saying. The point he was making was we need a goal scoring striker and he’s not wrong. We sold one and didn’t get anyone in. That clearly showed the manager felt Martial and Rashford would get the goals.

Martial and Rashford won’t score lots of goals for us, they never have done. The rest of our squad doesn’t contribute enough goals. Only Pogba has reasonable goal scoring stats from midfield but he was taking penalties last season.

Neville used Firmino as an example of ‘the type of striker Ole wants’. Liverpool have two wingers scoring 25 plus goals a season to compensate. Every big club has a goal scorer. We don’t.

Has Ole even tried 4-3-3 with a inverted CF? Never for us, so why all of sudden does Neville thinks he wants a certain type of striker?
Firmino is one of the main reasons the other attackers have so much space and so many opportunities to score. It's part of their system. Stopping him and their full backs makes it so much harder for Liverpool to play their style.

Fosu-Mens

Souness got an extremely simplistic version of football.

His view of differentiating cars is whether it drives or not. Same with footballers.

JM, on the other hand, got a better understanding of it. And everyone there seems to try their best to explain football to Souness but he is not getting it at all.

limerickcitykid

Except Souness literally said word for word "sign anyone." What Souness was saying had nothing to do with anything Neville said either. He went off on a rant about signing anyone and goals goals goals which had nothing to do with anything. Similar to your posts here. Along with Souness the pair of you seem incapable of actually listening to actual points and just jump into rants about how shit the team is and goals goals goals.

We've played with a false nine or a high 10 with splitting strikers numerous times under Ole, do you even watch the matches? We just did it today with Andreas splitting the strikers. We've done it with Lingard. We've done it with Martial central too. We also have wide forwards like Rashford, Martial, and James who would thrive off of that. There is a reason Mourinho pipped in and agreed with Neville's whole point. A point which yourself and imbeciles like Souness are apparently to thick to understand without descending into rants about signing anyone, goals, the team is so shit. None of which has to do with what Neville said.

limerickcitykid

Souness got an extremely simplistic version of football.

His view of differentiating cars is whether it drives or not. Same with footballers.

JM, on the other hand, got a better understanding of it. And everyone there seems to try their best to explain football to Souness but he is not getting it at all.
Mourinho summed up Neville's whole point with certain types of forwards. To which Souness' only response is "goals". He is incapable of putting across an actual coherent sentence and keeping up with the actual discussion. It was a complete waste of time having him there. Just get rid and let us listen to some intelligible thoughts from Mourinho more.

Josep Dowling

Except Souness literally said word for word "sign anyone." What Souness was saying had nothing to do with anything Neville said either. He went off on a rant about signing anyone and goals goals goals which had nothing to do with anything. Similar to your posts here. Along with Souness the pair of you seem incapable of actually listening to actual points and just jump into rants about how shit the team is and goals goals goals.

We've played with a false nine or a high 10 with splitting strikers numerous times under Ole, do you even watch the matches? We just did it today with Andreas splitting the strikers. We've done it with Lingard. We've done it with Martial central too. We also have wide forwards like Rashford, Martial, and James who would thrive off of that. There is a reason Mourinho pipped in and agreed with Neville's whole point. A point which yourself and imbeciles like Souness are apparently to thick to understand without descending into rants about signing anyone, goals, the team is so shit. None of which has to do with what Neville said.
Forgot all the tactical geniuses on here like you. Martial and Rashford have thrived so much in those spaces that they barely get doubled figures. The use of Lingard and Pereira as a number 10 is clearly working because they get so many assists for us.

But I’m the stupid one for not seeing the tactical genius that Solskjaer is.

Josep Dowling

Mourinho summed up Neville's whole point with certain types of forwards. To which Souness' only response is "goals". He is incapable of putting across an actual coherent sentence and keeping up with the actual discussion. It was a complete waste of time having him there. Just get rid and let us listen to some intelligible thoughts from Mourinho more.
yet you praise Mourinho who is a cause of the mess we are viewing right now.... again I’m the stupid one.

limerickcitykid

Forgot all the tactical geniuses on here like you. Martial and Rashford have thrived so much in those spaces that they barely get doubled figures. The use of Lingard and Pereira as a number 10 is clearly working because they get so many assists for us.

But I’m the stupid one for not seeing the tactical genius that Solskjaer is.
I don't need to be a tactical genius, Mourinho has already proven to be one.

Martial and Rashford's numbers aren't far off Salah and Mane's number pre-Liverpool.

Who said anything about Lingard and Andreas being good enough? Once again, just like Souness you're incapable of holding an actual conversation without descending into some random rant about stuff no one said. You've claimed Ole has never used a certain role, which he has done several times. Neville has said we need to sign someone to fit that role.

No, you're the stupid one because you're incapable of actually listening or reading. Stop blabbing on about nonsense and actually try and comprehend a sentence for once. Teach Souness how to do it while you're at it.

yet you praise Mourinho who is a cause of the mess we are viewing right now.... again I’m the stupid one.
Mourinho is one of the greatest managers of all time, so yes, he knows a thing or two about football.

Lee565

Would it be too crazy to give pogba a tryout in such a role like firmino plays? When you weigh up his strengths and weaknesses it might work.

Josep Dowling

Would it be too crazy to give pogba a tryout in such a role like firmino plays? When you weigh up his strengths and weaknesses it might work.
When Ole first took over he played Pogba in the number 10 role and we were playing so much better. Then he’s reverted to putting him in the midfield two and our midfield get exposed defensively. I get he’s injured at the moment.

My frustration in the summer was we weren’t going for a defensive midfielder, we were only linked with number 10s.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Bump

Given his comments about Pogba again today how long does this have to go on for before its considered bullying?

His obsession is getting out of hand now

limerickcitykid

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...manchester-united-pogba-souness-rant-18001992

The guy has hardly played this season and yet he is still launching attacks on him
That Pogba has all the ability to be a top player, great athleticism and super talent. But his mentality is to go out and be the star of the show and show people how clever he is instead of caring more about do anything to win and working harder. Then says he’d have been a doddle to play against.

He was also specifically asked about it so he hasn’t just randomly “launched an attack” at Pogba

Art Vandelay

Bump

Given his comments about Pogba again today how long does this have to go on for before its considered bullying?

His obsession is getting out of hand now
Bullying? It's a pundit giving an opinion on a player he doesn't rate. fecking hell...

He was asked a question and gave his opinion. Big deal.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Old Man Yells At Clouds For Money

James Peril

Souness played football in the 70’s and is about 15 years past his expiry date as a pundit. If football was about only running, tackling and grit, each player would be James Milner and less people would want to watch it on TV. Souness clearly has a problem with Pogba’s apperance and persona, so much so his employer clearly should have intervened by now. Furthermore, Pogba is a member of the team in 5th, clearly making us much better every time he enters the pitch - he is not some smuck like Balotelli not taking his gift seriously, or some drunk like Adams and Merson used to be whilst playing. Just wait until he retuns and we win a game again, this forum will be full of people saying the exact same thing as last time - we have missed him sorely. Pogba won the World Cup with proper players around him, he is not the problem. Old, bigot, failed managers like Souness clearly is.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Souness is a bitter jealous idiot of a man and his obsession with Pogba is pathetic.

RedDevilUnited369

mu4c_20le

Souness is a bitter jealous idiot of a man and his obsession with Pogba is pathetic.
To be fair he was asked about how he would feel if Pogba were his teammate. He was baited before he went off again.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Souness played football in the 70’s and is about 15 years past his expiry date as a pundit. If football was about only running, tackling and grit, each player would be James Milner and less people would want to watch it on TV. Souness clearly has a problem with Pogba’s apperance and persona, so much so his employer clearly should have intervened by now. Furthermore, Pogba is a member of the team in 5th, clearly making us much better every time he enters the pitch - he is not some smuck like Balotelli not taking his gift seriously, or some drunk like Adams and Merson used to be whilst playing. Just wait until he retuns and we win a game again, this forum will be full of people saying the exact same thing as last time - we have missed him sorely. Pogba won the World Cup with proper players around him, he is not the problem. Old, bigot, failed managers like Souness clearly is.
I think the issue is that Liverpool players in the 70s/80s were pushed (Shankly, Paisley, Fagan) to work hard for the good of the team... including "flair" players like Dalglish. You also saw Ian Rush running his arse off to harass defenders.

Talent alone just wasn't enough and it's no coincidence that Liverpool won shed-loads in the 70s & 80s (including Souness who has a lot of league and Euro Cup medals). It wasn't just because they had excellent players, it was effort/team/mentality too.

In the same way, United won loads in the 90s/00s under Ferguson who (like the Liverpool managers) demanded max effort on top of ability. Beckham is a good example of talent and work ethic... if he lost the ball (like Pogba has done at times up the pitch), he raced back to try and tackle the player or cover.

I can't believe I'm part defending him but I think there's a small part of Souness who sees the talent of Pogba and thinks that with extra effort/better decisions, he'd be top, top class. He's probably also pissed that Pogba has more natural talent than Souness did but he doesn't have the same team/work/mentality mindset. In Souness's mind, maybe he thinks its a waste and that frustrates him.

Also, he was asked a specific question.

Again, can't believe I'm part defending Souness :nervous: but this is not a nobody, he was an excellent central midfielder so at least he's earned the right to comment. I don't think the time since he played makes a difference, the key attributes for a top player haven't changed, BUT I do see it as a bit of a crusade ... if he said it about other players (with similar issues), it'd come across as balanced but that's United for you... clickbait. Especially when there's no fecking football on!

laughtersassassin

If France used Pogba as an impact sub they most likely wouldn't have won a world cup.

What an absolute dope

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I can't believe I'm part defending him but I think there's a small part of Souness who sees the talent of Pogba and thinks that with extra effort/better decisions, he'd be top, top class. He's probably also pissed that Pogba has more natural talent than Souness did but he doesn't have the same team/work/mentality mindset. In Souness's mind, maybe he thinks its a waste and that frustrates him.
Yeah, that makes sense. Sky are shameless though, and people like Souness & Thompson are being used - and subtly ridiculed - by them.

mav_9me

I think the issue is that Liverpool players in the 70s/80s were pushed (Shankly, Paisley, Fagan) to work hard for the good of the team... including "flair" players like Dalglish. You also saw Ian Rush running his arse off to harass defenders.

Talent alone just wasn't enough and it's no coincidence that Liverpool won shed-loads in the 70s & 80s (including Souness who has a lot of league and Euro Cup medals). It wasn't just because they had excellent players, it was effort/team/mentality too.

In the same way, United won loads in the 90s/00s under Ferguson who (like the Liverpool managers) demanded max effort on top of ability. Beckham is a good example of talent and work ethic... if he lost the ball (like Pogba has done at times up the pitch), he raced back to try and tackle the player or cover.

Also, he was asked a specific question.

Again, can't believe I'm part defending Souness :nervous: but this is not a nobody, he was an excellent central midfielder so at least he's earned the right to comment. I don't think the time since he played makes a difference, the key attributes for a top player haven't changed, BUT I do see it as a bit of a crusade ... if he said it about other players (with similar issues), it'd come across as balanced but that's United for you... clickbait. Especially when there's no fecking football on!
Agree with pretty much everything here.

Unfortunately his fundamental point is lost due to him always being so negative about Pogba.

In general I agree with sourness. For me Pogba has the ability to have the impact of Vieira/Keane/Scholes/Lampard/Gerrard. He hasn't actually had it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Souness' wife : "Let's get wilder than usual tonight, hurt me, punish me like I'm Pogba"
Souness : "Like Pogba...? okay. I know I can't trust you, you are wrong mentally. I keep saying this all week, you have a great physique and talented but the way you go about your day like you're a queen. You're not. More like a drama queen"
Souness' wife : "Yes that hurts... but I mean, not like this" sobs

norm87cro

I know he's a Liverpool legend and bias to United but he is spot on with this one. No way somebody deserves first team football after all our midfielders steped up in his absence.