Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He chose Maguire over Martinez for his team of the week, last I checked, Maguire was a United player. And I am sorry, if you watched that game, and claim Maguire played better than Martinez there is no other explaination... or he didn't watch the game, just randomly picked Maguire, but that still suggests a preference of English over non English.

I literally never use words like xenophobic or racist, I think they are used wrong 99% of the time, I just can't see any other explanation, because it's not opinion, it's an objective fact Martinez played better than Maguire in that game.
It's not that he's a xenophobe, it's that he's scared Martinez might actually be quite good and, because he's incredibly stupid, thinks that if he tells everyone Martinez is rubbish it might actually become true. Its how he's always worked.

It's not so bad now he's on talksport and you can just treat him the same as the other joke pundits they have on there who are just put there to say stupid things rather than act as pundits. When he's on Sky trying to belittle a football game into criticising Pogba for wearing the wrong type of coat, while everyone else on the show is deliberately winding him up because even they're sick of his pouty ranting garbage, its fecking tedious.

Withnail

Proper coach?

He worked under few very good managers and showed 1/10 games some kind of talent. Rest of the time, he was Shelvey level.

He is not wrong about everything concerning us. You might not like his opinion. But he got good points. Not always. But often.

He is actually positive towards our club and often talk how great, big and all that we are. So I don't see him as anti ManUtd pundit.
He only ever says we're a big club, a great club, historic blah blah blah when he's about to stick the boot in to one of our players or the manager. I don't know what cool aid you've been drinking but he's never impartial about United.

Tyrion

France won the World Cup, football is a team game.
I agree but Souness often comes up with that crap line of "Put your medals on the table". Even by his own metric, Pogba is a success.

Oh definitely. Maybe with a bit of Carrick’s tempo control thrown in.
I meant more his personality. Great player with a tough attitude who retired and forgot about his skill and now thinks the game is just a battle of hard men. Both are skeptical of anything new and seem to dislike younger generations. Both struggled as managers. Both produce good soundbites but aren't very insightful.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is talking shit but damn, i just can't say a bad word against him. Unlike many pundits who were choosing words back then, he was the one who completely trashed Zouma and West Ham after sick cnut kicked his cat.

90 + 5min

He only ever says we're a big club, a great club, historic blah blah blah when he's about to stick the boot in to one of our players or the manager. I don't know what cool aid you've been drinking but he's never impartial about United.
I think we are pretty good at that. Just read this forum.

90 + 5min

I still don't see what that has to do with Souness talking nonsense.
I don't know how you can just criticise Souness for something you (and others) are doing do on daily basis. I guess this has only to do with him being former Liverpool player.

Withnail

I don't know how you can just criticise Souness for something you (and others) are doing do on daily basis. I guess this has only to do with him being former Liverpool player.
It's because he clearly doesn't watch our games and invents stuff off the top of his head.

• Martinez isn't good on the ball
  • ETH promised Ronaldo game time to keep him at United.

Two recent examples of pure fantasy used as the basis for his arguments. It's a bit disingenuous to attempt equate that a nebulous point like well we all criticise players too.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I do like listening to him even if I disagree with his stance. He used to piss me off years ago when he had a massive hatred for Totti. Used to criticise the guy for being loyal to his club

90 + 5min

It's because he clearly doesn't watch our games and invents stuff off the top of his head.

• Martinez isn't good on the ball
  • ETH promised Ronaldo game time to keep him at United.

Two recent examples of pure fantasy used as the basis for his arguments. It's a bit disingenuous to attempt equate that a nebulous point like well we all criticise players too.
I don't agree with him on Martinez but does that make him bad? I still respect his opinion and he has been right in lot of things. When it comes to Ronaldo, what you write can be pure fantasy. Unless you were at their meeting. You are saying that it didn't happen, if I read you correctly. But you actually don't know. Neither does Sounes if he doesn't have any proof. So how are you better then Souness in this case?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
If he said Maguire is too slow for Ten Hags line/tactics that’d be fair/an opinion but he’s not. He’s saying Casemiro is average and Martinez isn’t a good CH… Casemiro is clearly not average and Martinez (over last dozen games especially) has been fantastic.

Last edited:

Withnail

I don't agree with him on Martinez but does that make him bad? I still respect his opinion and he has been right in lot of things. When it comes to Ronaldo, what you write can be pure fantasy. Unless you were at their meeting. You are saying that it didn't happen, if I read you correctly. But you actually don't know. Neither does Sounes if he doesn't have any proof. So how are you better then Souness in this case?
The Martinez comments show him someone who's already made his mind up and doesn't let evidence get in the way and/or hasn't bothered to watch our games to obtain an informed opinion.

Also on the Ronaldo thing he set forth a hypothesis which is unlikely to be true because Ronaldo didn't have to be persuaded to stay. There were no offers which he should know. He then used that ill-informed hypothesis to beat ETH and the Club for 'poorly handling' the situation.

Both of these examples tell me his opinion isn't to be trusted. How is that so hard to understand?

Edwards6

He keeps talking about Ten Hag making promises to Ronaldo about playing time then disrespecting him by breaking the promises, but when he's questioned about it he says it's just a feeling he's got.
The man is clueless!
Plus even if Ten Hag planned to use Ronaldo as his first choice striker, if he's not performing then he can't just keep picking him on name and reputation.

Posh Red

He keeps talking about Ten Hag making promises to Ronaldo about playing time then disrespecting him by breaking the promises, but when he's questioned about it he says it's just a feeling he's got.
The man is clueless!
Plus even if Ten Hag planned to use Ronaldo as his first choice striker, if he's not performing then he can't just keep picking him on name and reputation.
He also keeps saying that in five years no one will even remember who Eric ten Haag is. Unbelievably disrespectful to a fellow professional, and also both ignorant and arrogant.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's done it again.

Sabitzer's foul was bad and probably should be a red but his arrogance always cracks me up.

I swear I want this rancid cnut to stop being given any airtime.

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s always telling what the other ‘pundits’ have to say on the matter. Robbie Keane stayed silent & Jimmy was chuckling his way through a non answer.

He’s placed on our games to piss us off. It worked when we were crap cause he got to get his ridiculous takes off but it’s truly laughable recently.

Loon

:lol:
"They should have played the second half with ten men..." in 5.... 4... 3... 2....

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
really is time for sky to put this fossil out to pasture - are there any of his era doing punditry? Is boring Hoddle still at BT?

Chief123

He went to "do him" according to the senile old cnut.
The guy is such a plank. To blatantly claim the player has gone in to hurt him with so much conviction just shows what a tool he is because that’s probably what he would do in that situation.

Woodzy

It’s not the first time he’s claimed a player has tried to ‘do’ someone. It’s not the 80s anymore Graham you cnut, it’s very rare you’re going to find a player trying to ‘do’ someone. It was nothing more than a reckless challenge that deserved a yellow.

GledTheRed

The guy is such a plank. To blatantly claim the player has gone in to hurt him with so much conviction just shows what a tool he is because that’s probably what he would do in that situation.
He was fuming, practically foaming at the mouth. He can't hide his hatred towards us, hope the cnut lapped up that victory.

We got away with the challenge but it's evened itself out with the Casimero imo.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I'm sure I just heard him say Harry Kane is England's only world class player?

Literally minutes after watching what we all just watched!