Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

:lol:
I would be surprised if many people were against this. Football is also a powerfully vehicle of hope and optimism, and Ukraine needs this massively.

MalaysianRed7

:lol:
We might need a 1000 team World Cup soon, for every single country that USA, China and Russia especially have wronged :lol: Maybe even North Korea, the leader’s an idiot but I’m sure the people are sound.

90 + 5min

Sure, I don't agree with him always but I do understand him and his views. One of the better experts out there.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't understand the hate fest with this guy, seems to be popular enough with those who've worked with and him and a genuinely world class player in his peak, you would think he was some mug playing for a non league team the way some go on ranting about him.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's an idiot. How about Ukraine qualify (or not qualify) on the pitch, like every other team (aside from the hosts)?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't understand the hate fest with this guy, seems to be popular enough with those who've worked with and him and a genuinely world class player in his peak, you would think he was some mug playing for a non league team the way some go on ranting about him.
Obviously we've not all conducted the research into how well loved he is by everyone he works with that you have, but I'd imagine it's because he's a rabid dyed in the wool scouse loving bitter?
The irony is that a lot of Pool fans hate him too!

keithsingleton

I agree with you, think it’s because he’s a scouser :D I like him and Keane on the same panel when on Sky.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Anyway feast your eyes upon this nightmare scenario
Souness reveals how he almost replaced Ferguson as United's manager in late 80s
Obviously we've not all conducted the research into how well loved he is by everyone he works with that you have, but I'd imagine it's because he's a rabid dyed in the wool scouse loving bitter?
The irony is that a lot of Pool fans hate him too!
Added reason to like him? Seeing how he oversaw their descent into mediocrity :lol:
I agree with you, think it’s because he’s a scouser :D I like him and Keane on the same panel when on Sky.
Yeah, they don't really have the best takes in any shape or form (Keane is better in that regard) but I enjoy them, they're like relics from a bygone era.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm sorry but this is a senior moment - or something.

Admirable sentiment and all - but no.

The upside we all can appreciate, though, is that he ain't pure evil (as certain Pogpologists claimed he was).

shaky

I think his playing career is fairly irrelevant when it comes to things he says as a pundit. Do you give more value to the opinions of folk like Matt Le Tissier and Paul Merson because they were good players?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think his playing career is fairly irrelevant when it comes to things he says as a pundit. Do you give more value to the opinions of folk like Matt Le Tissier and Paul Merson because they were good players?
When it comes to their opinions on their area of expertise i can be interested in their takes, not necessarily agree with it but still find it interesting.

I understand that most of the time good players can be really shite pundits as they just don't understand what made them special, but even then i feel they still have some valuable insight to give from time to time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Thought his half-time and post-match analysis last night was spot on. Miles better than Boyd, and the BT boys for Saturday’s final.

Hughie77

I'd like to see Wales in a World cup , haven't been to one since 1958. And the Scots robbed us a few times any way 77 and 85. We got a tough game on Sunday , I was hoping for a Scots equaliser for Extra time. Ukraine were the better team.

RC89

I would be surprised if many people were against this. Football is also a powerfully vehicle of hope and optimism, and Ukraine needs this massively.
I think most people who aren't swayed by blatant agendas will be against this. Why don't we just promote them to the knock out stages too while we're at it?

Bondi77

I wonder how much a 25yo Souness would be worth in todays market?
There would not be much change out of 80mil!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I found this beauty in his Wikipedia page :lol:

His Liverpool team-mate Michael Robinson said of Souness in 2016: "I found him a very personal, cuddly chap who was actually quite vulnerable about being a human being with emotions. To this day, he still tries very hard not to be this lovely cuddly person, when really he is."
Lovely sentiment but boy he's on his way to becoming a softy in his old age.
Don't we all?
I wonder how much a 25yo Souness would be worth in todays market?
There would not be much change out of 80mil!
He was Better than rice for starters

Chripper

He's clearly not a bad person. I remember the impassioned speech he made to Richards on Sky during the whole BLM thing. He clearly has a heart.

I find this kind of tribalism a bit nasty when it gets personal.

The worst part when he was accused on here of being a racist, all because he deigned to criticise a certain Paul Pogba. Which is now a Redcafe sport.

As a player (I only remember him when he was player/manager at Rangers. But I've seen a tons of matches involving him, with Liverpool and Scotland) he was obviously world class. If Rice is worth £120m then Souness would easily be worth £200m+.

Now, his views on Ukraine is what tickles me. He's passionate about Ukraine being independent (and existing) but he's fine with England running his own nation. Just seems weird.

Tarrou

He's clearly not a bad person. I remember the impassioned speech he made to Richards on Sky during the whole BLM thing. He clearly has a heart.

The worst part when he was accused on here of being a racist, all because he deigned to criticise a certain Paul Pogba. Which is now a Redcafe sport.

As a player (I only remember him when he was player/manager at Rangers. But I've seen a tons of matches involving him, with Liverpool and Scotland) he was obviously world class. If Rice is worth £120m then Souness would easily be worth £200m+.

Now, his views on Ukraine is what tickles me. He's passionate about Ukraine being independent (and existing) but he's fine with England running his own nation. Just seems weird.
Huh? Scotland has been united with England for several centuries and Russia are invading Ukraine right now.

It would be weird if he felt there should be any correlations between these two separate matters

MoskvaRed

You are seriously comparing the modern England-Scotland relationship with what’s happening in Ukraine? Edward I‘s treatment of Scotland would be a better comparison.

Chripper

Huh? Scotland has been united with England for several centuries and Russia are invading Ukraine right now.

It would be weird if he felt there should be any correlations between these two separate matters
The Union of Great Britain wasn't a democratic act. When there's riots, up and down the country, with the majority of people opposing said political decision, it's generally not welcomed.

You are seriously comparing the modern England-Scotland relationship with what’s happening in Ukraine? Edward I‘s treatment of Scotland would be a better comparison.
The requisite of independence doesn't always have to be oppression. A total of 65 countries have gained income from The United Kingdom.

SAF doesn't escape criticism. He's always talking about his favourite book "How Scots invented the modern world.". Aye, alright Fergie, we invented the modern world but we're incapable of being a separate nation In said modern world. Make sense.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Times like these when you need to realise to stop always defending the club/players and look at things more objectively. He was completely right about Pogba the whole time and we didn’t see it, purely down to tribalism.