Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Enigma_87

You know who
I watched this last night , it’s as if he was sitting next to Roy Keane last week.:mad:
They aren't wrong tbh. We're really missing some of the basics in midfield.

Say what you will for both Keane or Souness, but they were fantastic midfielders on their own right.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He should be a manager.

As a base, he's right. You have to work hard first. Even Solskjaer said that, you have to be fitter and work harder than the other team.

But after that, theres so much more to it. Wolves work harder than us, but we're above them in the league.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He should be a manager.

As a base, he's right. You have to work hard first. Even Solskjaer said that, you have to be fitter and work harder than the other team.

But after that, theres so much more to it. Wolves work harder than us, but we're above them in the league.
Souness selective amnesia on how good he was on transfer market. Some of the most clumsy players I've seen playing on a Benfica shirt happened during Souness time as Benfica's manager. those were dark ages.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Souness selective amnesia on how good he was on transfer market. Some of the most clumsy players I've seen playing on a Benfica shirt happened during Souness time as Benfica's manager. those were dark ages.
Tbh it was 20 years ago, but yeah he certainly had a core of players who always signed for his clubs. And a certain football agent too. Zahavi.

:lol: Coming from the only man ever to play an amateur in the Premier League and the man who reckoned Deco would amount to nothing. There are probably posters on here who would make a better manager than him.

Revaulx

The weird thing about Souness is that he’s never come to terms with the fact that he wasn’t just a hard grafter as a player; he was skilful as well. That’s why he failed as a manager; he went for hard working cloggers in the belief that they resembled him, but there was much more to him than that. I think the same may be true of Keane also.

FujiVice

Souness is spot on in the regards to over complicating the game. For all the tactics and "sports science" shite people talk about, Man City are successful because you cant take the ball off them. They have really talented players playing to their strengths. Sports Science means feck all if you dont have the players to do it.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Souness is spot on in the regards to over complicating the game. For all the tactics and "sports science" shite people talk about, Man City are successful because you cant take the ball off them. They have really talented players playing to their strengths. Sports Science means feck all if you dont have the players to do it.
You can't play this type of football without a major plan that involves physical condition + nutrition plans + technical drills + tactical drills just to point the most important stuff to implement something.

But yes, the best tactic is always to have top quality players. Without them you can't win crap.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Souness did make some amazing signings as Blackburn manager; Tugay, Friedel, Cole, Thompson, Emerton, Reid, Stead (scored some crucial goals including a winner against United to help us stay up in 2004), Pedersen just before he left for Newcastle etc. The worst one was Corrado Grabbi for £7 million.

2000-2003 under Souness was a great time to be a Blackburn fan, with 3 successful seasons in a row (promotion, 10th and league cup win and 6th), very entertaining and exciting football (after Arsenal and United we were one of the most entertaining sides in the Premier League from 2001-2003 in my opinion), a lot of victories over the big clubs, players like Duff, Dunn and Janssen (before his motorcyle accident) progressing well.

However things declined when we lost Duff to Chelsea and struggled to replace him, and he fell out with Dunn and Cole and sold them both. By the time he left us for Newcastle in early 2004-2005, we looked absolutely terrible and thought we were headed for relegation. Hughes did an amazing job to turn us from that mess into a team that finished 6th the next season.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

:eek: Do we have proof Souness actually said this?

manunited1919

The only reason he is saying this: he wants to stick the knife on City. City is now a bigger threat to Liverpool than we are.

CherryBoy

Souness did make some amazing signings as Blackburn manager; Tugay, Friedel, Cole, Thompson, Emerton, Reid, Stead (scored some crucial goals including a winner against United to help us stay up in 2004), Pedersen just before he left for Newcastle etc. The worst one was Corrado Grabbi for £7 million.

2000-2003 under Souness was a great time to be a Blackburn fan, with 3 successful seasons in a row (promotion, 10th and league cup win and 6th), very entertaining and exciting football (after Arsenal and United we were one of the most entertaining sides in the Premier League from 2001-2003 in my opinion), a lot of victories over the big clubs, players like Duff, Dunn and Janssen (before his motorcyle accident) progressing well.

However things declined when we lost Duff to Chelsea and struggled to replace him, and he fell out with Dunn and Cole and sold them both. By the time he left us for Newcastle in early 2004-2005, we looked absolutely terrible and thought we were headed for relegation. Hughes did an amazing job to turn us from that mess into a team that finished 6th the next season.
I remember this period, Rovers made it cool/possible for mid-table teams to play free-flowing football before it was cool.

Hughie77

He's said that about Maguire, now he's been spouting about Rashford, not good enough yet, Pogba he's had a pop at again.

This guy is a ABU, full out , Biased beyond believe. We could win everything he still wouldn't give anyone credit.

VAR will be next that takes points off pool look out he be ripping the cables out himself.

Mr PG

I sometimes loathed Souness but you can’t deny he’s been right about a lot of things. Guardiola admitted he really wanted Maguire...who’s not inferior to Van Dijk btw and I’m not saying that only because he came to United.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
The weird thing about Souness is that he’s never come to terms with the fact that he wasn’t just a hard grafter as a player; he was skilful as well. That’s why he failed as a manager; he went for hard working cloggers in the belief that they resembled him, but there was much more to him than that. I think the same may be true of Keane also.
True, of Keano as well. It's weird. The mentality of those two guys is an odd thing. Great characters of the sport.

LARulz

Souness saying City should have broken the bank to sign Maguire... if they have a bank that can be broken :lol:

Feels wrong that he made me laugh and for the right reason

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I sometimes loathed Souness but you can’t deny he’s been right about a lot of things. Guardiola admitted he really wanted Maguire...who’s not inferior to Van Dijk btw and I’m not saying that only because he came to United.
Calm down now. Maguire is a very good CB but I'd take Van Dijk over him all day.

Stacks

He's said that about Maguire, now he's been spouting about Rashford, not good enough yet, Pogba he's had a pop at again.

This guy is a ABU, full out , Biased beyond believe. We could win everything he still wouldn't give anyone credit.

VAR will be next that takes points off pool look out he be ripping the cables out himself.
He stated truth in that Rashford would Not be starting every week at 21 for our former sides and he scored so few last season and all the pressure is now on his young shoulders

Tyrion

Calm down now. Maguire is a very good CB but I'd take Van Dijk over him all day.
Van Dijk is arguably the best centre defender in the world after last season. Off topic, I know but saying Maguire isn't on Dijks level isn't even a criticism imo.