Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I thought it was a brief but succint summing of the position quite a few posters seem to have taken. All that was missing was the whole ' black / coloured friends thing' substituting for signing black players. End of the days the Krays were not bad lads, they loved their mum, aww.
Ah...sorry I took it out of context....still a little close to the bone with some of the language

AFC NimbleThumb

Racism is a character trait and/or a mentality / attitude. A person can have lots of other great character traits or exhibit lots of positive behaviours and still hold racist views and express them. Its not mutually exclusive. Reports highlighting Souness's behaviour with others, his previous signings, his great relationships with other black players, his general misdemeanour etc can in no way rule out him being racist.
BRILLIANT post.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Graeme Souness said:
“When I played in midfield, I had one thought: ‘I’m going to stop the guy I’m playing against today, then develop my own game from there.’

“In contrast, Pogba’s first thought is to show everybody how clever and cute he can be.

“If that’s the example your main man in midfield is setting, you’re too easy to play against, and until they fix it, United’s back five will be fire-fighting.

“They can spend massively on Maguire, give Victor Lindelof a new five-year deal, De Gea four more lucrative years and sign Wan-Bissaka for £50m and it will all be money down the drain.”
(Times)

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
more slobber from him. I wonder why he is still taken seriously. He has degraded himself to a pure phrasemonger. I can't remember the last time I had the feeling with him that he delivered a really good analysis.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
hasn't Pogba been injured for a while now? this dinosaur is absolutely obsessed

Bulldog United

He really needs to let the Pogba thing go. It’s just weird how obsessed he is with attacking him at every opportunity. Souness isn’t even that bad as a pundit when he’s analysing away from anything Pogba unrelated. He’s also a hero who helped manage Liverpool’s spiralling downfall after his playing days.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I get he's paid to give his opinion, and I get if you're reading it then it means you're 'interested' in his opinion but honestly I dont know what makes him think he's the authority on midfield play in the 21st century. He's a leg breaker from the 80's, if all midfielders in the modern game played like he did they'd be off 10 minutes into the game

Red_Injun

I don't know why people pay so much credence with what the man has to say. He seems the equivalent of a walking Sun newspaper (ironic with the Liverpool connections) peddling click-bait garbage to continue to be seen with some sort of relevancy despite his lack of tactical knowledge when it comes to actually analysing games. I can see this being ramped up over the next few months as people will see he has nothing to offer now he is sharing studios with Mourinho more often.

On a wider point, I'm genuinely tired of the analysis i see from all pundits when it comes to United - former players seem to all overcompensate to show that they have no bias and the rest are rival players who would have been on the field during United's dominance over the 90s, 00s and have no problem sticking the boot in.

poleglass red

I get he's paid to give his opinion, and I get if you're reading it then it means you're 'interested' in his opinion but honestly I dont know what makes him think he's the authority on midfield play in the 21st century. He's a leg breaker from the 80's, if all midfielders in the modern game played like he did they'd be off 10 minutes into the game
Souness was a lot more than a leg breaker, he was a hell of a player, as hard as that is to say as a utd fan. He played in a different era for sure, but players like him and Roson were that good they could refine their game and play in any era.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Souness was a lot more than a leg breaker, he was a hell of a player, as hard as that is to say as a utd fan. He played in a different era for sure, but players like him and Roson were that good they could refine their game and play in any era.
Yeah I know I'm not giving him the credit he probably deserves but hey ho :smirk:

TrustInOle

Yeah I know I'm not giving him the credit he probably deserves but hey ho :smirk:
I feel he others some good insight occasionally, especially on the mentality of the modern day footballers, but i know what you mean with the leg breaking, as he comes across that way in interviews ect, he is just tacticqlly stuck in the past i think.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's outdone himself there - blaming Matic/Mc Tominay's midfield performance against West ham on Pogba, who wasn't in the squad. :houllier:
To be fair he says this first:

‘Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay and co should have been sprinting out to put West Ham’s midfielders under pressure. ‘If you’re a defender with that in front of you and the opposition have time to pick a pass, you’re going to be in trouble and that’s where United find themselves.
But yes he can't wait to stick the boot in to Pogba, who hasn't played in the league in September. If he wants to annihilate United in his punditry there are a million ways to do it in this era, but even next to us in this state he makes himself a laughing stock by foaming at the mouth over one player.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I just watched the discussion after the Liverpool game about Rashford - I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but I hadn't seen the whole video.

While he's not fundamentally wrong in his initial assessment (Utd lack firepower, that's clear to see for anyone), it's painful to watch him in the studio with José and Gary making some interesting points. He sounds like your drunk uncle down the pub: "just buy a striker" "a striker that scores goals" "don't be putting strikers into categories" - the level of analysis is really poor. But do people "connect" with his brand of "analysis"? Does he appeal to an older audience? I'm one of those that thinks people overcomplicate football somewhat, but there's middle ground between that and Souness's simplicity, surely.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Maybe he's bored, and merely does this job for the money?

Josh 76

I just watched the discussion after the Liverpool game about Rashford - I know it's been discussed elsewhere, but I hadn't seen the whole video.

While he's not fundamentally wrong in his initial assessment (Utd lack firepower, that's clear to see for anyone), it's painful to watch him in the studio with José and Gary making some interesting points. He sounds like your drunk uncle down the pub: "just buy a striker" "a striker that scores goals" "don't be putting strikers into categories" - the level of analysis is really poor. But do people "connect" with his brand of "analysis"? Does he appeal to an older audience? I'm one of those that thinks people overcomplicate football somewhat, but there's middle ground between that and Souness's simplicity, surely.
The game has moved on from his day. Who is out there that he is talking about?
A player that just scores goals and contributes little else would be one selfish player. It would not suit any team nowadays. Them sort of players are just not common nowadays. The only two I can think of that comes close to what he is talking about would be Kane or Levondioski, and they will not be easy to sign.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Pretty sure there's people up and down the country, and certain members of Redcafe nodding along gleefully with saliva dribbling out their mouth's like rabid dogs.

El Zoido

He’s been around too long, it’s just routine for him now. Turn up for work for a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon, spout vague football cliches and moan about the modern footballer a bit, go home and watch your bank balance inflate. A lot of people get complacent in their jobs, where you’ve done it so much and you’re so bored of it you coast it. At least Alan Hansen retired when he saw it happening. Same thing will probably happen to Neville eventually.

simmee

The game has moved on from his day. Who is out there that he is talking about?
A player that just scores goals and contributes little else would be one selfish player. It would not suit any team nowadays. Them sort of players are just not common nowadays. The only two I can think of that comes close to what he is talking about would be Kane or Levondioski, and they will not be easy to sign.
Sounds like you’ve watched Levondioski a lot.

Revaulx

While he's not fundamentally wrong in his initial assessment (Utd lack firepower, that's clear to see for anyone), it's painful to watch him in the studio with José and Gary making some interesting points. He sounds like your drunk uncle down the pub: "just buy a striker" "a striker that scores goals" "don't be putting strikers into categories" - the level of analysis is really poor. But do people "connect" with his brand of "analysis"? Does he appeal to an older audience?
Much as it pains me to say so, I suspect you're right. A large part of TV football's audience is in as much of a rut as he is, and are happy for the same "better in my day" shite to be regurgitated time and again.
I'm one of those that thinks people overcomplicate football somewhat, but there's middle ground between that and Souness's simplicity, surely.
Indeed, but I don't think what he offers is really simplicity. It's just hackneyed cliche.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Much as it pains me to say so, I suspect you're right. A large part of TV football's audience is in as much of a rut as he is, and are happy for the same "better in my day" shite to be regurgitated time and again.

Indeed, but I don't think what he offers is really simplicity. It's just hackneyed cliche.
This dick sold his story to the Sun, am not the slightest bit interested in what he has to say

FujiVice

You know how sharp and gatekeepy Jose is, I wonder if inside he's cant believe half the shit coming out of the mouths of three failed managers like Keane, Neville and Sourness.

Revaulx

This dick sold his story to the Sun, am not the slightest bit interested in what he has to say
That also.

I don't think self-awareness is his strong suit. He was a fantastic player: a hard cnut for sure, but the vision and quality of his passing was outstanding. Great reader of the game also. He seemed to forget all that when he became a manager, shipped out most of Liverpool's remaining quality players and replaced them with a load of average cloggers. Set them back years :D