Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Sorry not sorry for the essay!
A brilliant one, saw it only now. On-point dissection of the prejudices and confirmation biases around Pogba. Just want to highlight this part in particular:
One of my biggest issues with Pogba is the off-field complaints get gets are largely direct attacks on who he simply is, which come from his background and culture, and have been used to paint him as an unserious footballer. Of course, the things on the pitch, either way, will be seen as confirmation of that. A poor pass or loss of the ball will spark a long talk about his ‘concentration and attitude’, while his many good games are ‘see, you can see what he can become if he just applies himself’.
I (non-United fan) tried to argue against this stuff for about 1,5 seasons, but gave up at some point. He just couldn't win. When - in light of deficient fluidity and team play - he took matters in his own hands, with all the inevitable risk involved, he was "playing for himself" and "lacking football intelligence" (another one of these tropes). But if he "kept it simple" as demanded, it was claimed he "looks disinterested" and "can't take the game by the scruff of its neck". It was maddening.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A brilliant one, saw it only now. On-point dissection of the prejudices and confirmation biases around Pogba. Just want to highlight this part in particular:

I (non-United fan) tried to argue against this stuff for about 1,5 seasons, but gave up at some point. He just couldn't win. When - in light of deficient fluidity and team play - he took matters in his own hands, with all the inevitable risk involved, he was "playing for himself" and "lacking football intelligence" (another one of these tropes). But if he "kept it simple" as demanded, it was claimed he "looks disinterested" and "can't take the game by the scruff of its neck". It was maddening.
Many thanks.

Yea, they are usual cliches, and what is worrying is how repetition validates theory and shapes public opinion.

I used the example earlier, but compare the reaction to how he takes penalties and the reaction to how Bruno takes them. ‘Silly run-up’, ‘Trying to be the star of the show’ etc. Bruno’s hop and skip is cleverness. No Gary Neville in the studio saying ‘why can’t he just put his foot through it?’.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Exhibit one hundred and whatever.

Wow that was pathetic. One of the least insightful pieces of punditry I’ve ever heard. Nothing to say and saying it too loudly, not allowing the presenter to get a word in.

I’d have to ask does Danny Mills feel like he achieved as much or played to the level of Paul Pogba during his career ? Did he ever go to a siblings wedding whilst playing ? Did he ever go out whilst injured ? Did he play any other sport recreationally while injured ?

He'sRaldo

We also have to look at it from Souness' point of view.

What do you think his bosses at Sky are telling him? "Dammit Souness, your constant biased criticism of this superstar footballer is raking us millions of views and comments, tone it down?" Even this most recent online interview must have received hundreds of thousands of views, you think his employers will be unhappy at his behaviour or encourage it?

And even putting that aside, as a Liverpool legend and fan, do we think he simply wants what's best for Pogba and Man Utd? He's pained that Pogs has so much talent and just isn't pushing Man Utd to succeed? Or is it something else, and if so, what?

Once we ask these sorts of questions then we can see where the over the top criticism is really coming from, and whether it bears listening to or not.

Drainy

If you're not playing well you better not be seen at your brother's wedding

it gives the wrong impression, like Manchester United isn't the only thing in your life.

MoskvaRed

Souness is lurching into self-parody, an old man railing that things aren’t like they used to be. But, on the question of playing achievements, Souness is way ahead at this stage with his three European cups. He was also the midfield general of those Liverpool sides while I feel Pogba (as with Juve and France) is better as the foil than the main man. Certainly at United he has underwhelmed when trying to drive the team forward. As for the World Cup, Pogba comes from the most successful football nation of the last 20 years while Souness played for an also ran nation (albeit slightly less useless back in his day).

Stacks

What I find ironic in this article is that Souness is complaining how back in his days, you would know from the people if you weren't doing well, and players now are protected from all of that. They also didn't have bitter old players obsessing over them on television and over the internet for everybody to have an opinion on.

No matter how the man tries to spin his criticism as valid, it's always been over the top. I don't know if Souness was actually silly enough to be offended a French guy had no idea who he was or it's just Sky trying to get content, but regardless it's been a lot of nonsense for a long time. Pogba is far more of a professional than Souness ever was, by his own account, and I haven't seen the man play beyond some clips, but I'm confident that Pogba is a far better player than Souness could ever hope to be.
Was just Carra being a nob.

Souness admitted so, since he was a bit of a flash cnut. The guy had a perm which takes some maintenance.

I feel the 3rd bolded bit is what makes him irate as he thinks Pogba is much better than he was so cannot understand the drops in performance level.

He is a bit obsessed and people always ask questions about him to get him going

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Was just Carra being a nob.

Souness admitted so, since he was a bit of a flash cnut. The guy had a perm which takes some maintenance.

I feel the 3rd bolded bit is what makes him irate as he thinks Pogba is much better than he was so cannot understand the drops in performance level.

He is a bit obsessed and people always ask questions about him to get him going
Yeah, I mean it literally has become a meme at this point, I actually have a laugh whenever they bring him up to Souness because they know that he just can't help himself, and so do we. And as others have said, I don't believe Souness is frustrated Pogba is not reaching the potential he believes he has, I don't think he's rooting for Pogba to ever achieve that, and he'd be very happy if he never got United anywhere. And we know that Souness and Pogba are completely different players, and Pogba's already had a season as a midfielder that Souness could never even comprehend, let alone come close to, on an individual level, but Pogba in England hasn't been on a dominant team like Souness with Liverpool at the time (but we've seen him in a dominant team in Italy and he played a key role that led to a WC transfer), so his criticism or perception of where the player should be is irrelevant, it's just a huge source of clickbait for Sky, but it's embarrassing that it's actually shaped some fans' opinions who repeat the same cliches Souness has used against him.

Stacks

Yeah, I mean it literally has become a meme at this point, I actually have a laugh whenever they bring him up to Souness because they know that he just can't help himself, and so do we. And as others have said, I don't believe Souness is frustrated Pogba is not reaching the potential he believes he has, I don't think he's rooting for Pogba to ever achieve that, and he'd be very happy if he never got United anywhere. And we know that Souness and Pogba are completely different players, and Pogba's already had a season as a midfielder that Souness could never even comprehend, let alone come close to, on an individual level, but Pogba in England hasn't been on a dominant team like Souness with Liverpool at the time (but we've seen him in a dominant team in Italy and he played a key role that led to a WC transfer), so his criticism or perception of where the player should be is irrelevant, it's just a huge source of clickbait for Sky, but it's embarrassing that it's actually shaped some fans' opinions who repeat the same cliches Souness has used against him.
Fans have had held some of these opinions way before Souness started chatting about him though. There were tonnes of threads about him since he 1st came. No one thought he had been our saviour and many expected more and still do.

which season are you referring too again?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Fans have had held some of these opinions way before Souness started chatting about him though. There were tonnes of threads about him since he 1st came. No one thought he had been our saviour and many expected more and still do.

which season are you referring too again?
No, I disagree, when people are talking about Pogba being unprofessional, a YouTube player, etc, stuff that you hear on this forum, a lot of that came from Souness and people repeat it because that's all they hear out of him. You didn't hear that about Pogba when he first came from Juventus. I mean, FFS even him coming back from winning a WC didn't stop Souness and his own coach to create even more negative buzz about him almost immediately. Whatever praise came with some side of criticism. Fair enough when it's about on-the-field performances, but when you start using the same tired labels Souness uses, it's not something that came without that influence. A lot of people just repeat what they hear and get their opinions shaped that easily, especially if they get frustrated by their club's performance and its best player, it's not out of the ordinary.

As far as what season, I mean take your pick. Any season he's been healthy, he creates, scores, assists in ways that simply wasn't in Souness' locker, nor in the locker of a lot of CMs for that matter. Just last season he was leading scorer/assist for the club, which has been beaten to death so I bore myself even mentioning it, but that tells you the state of the team at the time. Of course Souness is a completely different player and was part of a great team, but that only highlights my point more that he shouldn't try to make any comparison between himself and Pogba whether it's in mentality, playing style, or lifestyle, which he can't help himself from doing.

POF

The answer to your question is likely to be a matter of interpretation, and how you interpret these things will likely be based upon certain prejudice.

I was watching Bruno’s interview yesterday and he was talking about Martial’s goal against City, and he was talking about how it wasn’t pre-agreed, just some inventiveness on the fly, and on another day, ‘Martial wouldn’t have read it and it would have looked silly. But players need to try things and take risks’. Do you think if Pogba made that pass instead of Bruno, and Martial didn’t read it, the likes of Souness would have labelled it him ‘trying something flash, trying to be too clever when he should be thinking of the team and crossing it etc’? I think there’s a fair chance that it would been seen as another example of why Pogba is a bit of a joke figure who you can never know what he’s going to do.

I’m not calling it either way, just saying that these things are down to interpretation. Doing skill and taking risks on the pitch to go past players, or catch opponents unaware can be seen as a means to winning a game or just trying to be flash. I’m sure Pogba himself will not feel like he is not driven to win, others may say he isn’t. It’s a matter of opinion really, but the opinion is based on something. I cannot count on 10 hands the amount of times I’ve seen Rooney ‘try and be flash’ and chip a goalkeeper from 25 or 30 yards and score a goal of the season instead of putting his laces through it. I’ve never heard him described as self centred, for example. He’s also not referred to as a ‘disruptive’ player, despite arguably being far more disruptive than Pogba.

Ultimately, I think ‘committed’ has an appearance, as does ‘disruptive, selfish and flashy’. In my opinion, Rooney more easily fits into what a committed winner looks like, and Pogba the latter. At least according to ingrained consensus in the UK.

EDIT: Just to add another comparison between Pogba and Fernandes. Compare the responses to both of their respective penalty styles.
I completely agree with you about Rooney. That bloody chip had the lowest success rate of any player ever! I also agree that he is selfish and disruptive and should never have been United captain. He would never have been appointed captain if Fergie had stayed.

But as to why this wasn't pointed out in mainstream media? Same reason selfishness wasn't pointed out about Gerrard or Terry's lack of pace being exposed with no Makelele or Rio's lack of concentration or physicality.

They were England's golden generation and even to this day people blame coaches for their lack of success when they just weren't anywhere near as good as they thought they were. English media overhypes English players. They always have.

I don't live in the UK so I am not as exposed to the mainstream media there anymore so maybe I am missing the point. But Pogba is an incredibly frustrating player.

I love his charisma and his character. Football needs personalities and characters like that. My sons love football and copied his celebrations when they scored on the weekends. For a time, Pogba even made Jesse Lingard look cool.

Pogba is one of the most talented midfield players I have ever seen. His skill is phenomenal, his passing range with both feet is almost unfair, he has speed, power, athleticism and he is good defensively when he can be bothered.

But, he doesn't make the best of those talents. He was a huge investment for United and the circus around him with his agent, brothers and even himself in the media is incredibly disruptive. It's constant excuses for why he doesn't perform and as things stand now (crazy as it seems when he's clearly the club's most talented player), United as a club would be better off without him.

Ronaldo is a really good comparison in my opinion. Underrated next to England's golden boy Rooney when he arrived at United. Criticised for diving, his hairstyle, for being "flash", modelling underwear and more recently mocked for the goal celebration. But nobody is laughing now, not because of his skin colour but, because his work ethic and commitment to be the best made him one of the greatest footballers that has ever lived.

Nobody deserves personal criticism of how they live their life. As long as they do nothing illegal or unethical, who is entitled to criticise or judge? But you need to be really careful bandying about "racism" when it can just as easily be seen as "old man criticises the youth of today". People criticise what they don't understand or can't relate to. It doesn't have to be racist.

As a footballer, you can't argue with the criticism levelled at Pogba. The evidence is there on the pitch. He has been a huge disappointment at United.

On the penalty style, Bruno doesn't get criticised because he scores!

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Now that I've actually watched the footage of both Pogba's podcast with Man United and Souness' interview with Sky, here's my thoughts:

1. Pogba was actually extremely respectful and honest. "I heard he was a great player but I didn't know who he was". He wasn't dismissive in any way, he just admitted the honest truth.

2. I would blame Sky and particularly Carragher more than Souness for the response, it's like they were baiting him.

Red Comet

Seriously, the best thing Pogba could just say is "I've heard about Souness achievements - he's the guy who signed Ali Dia while managing Southampton. Based on his ability to judge players I'm going to just go ahead and ignore his comments about me."

1. Souness was known to be very sour about the episode where he was made a laughing for signing a literal fraud, that he threaten to punch his interviewer when asked about it.
2. Remind everyone that Souness is shit at judging players, and use that as an excuse to ignore Souness judgement of Pogba.

RUCK4444

Seriously, the best thing Pogba could just say is "I've heard about Souness achievements - he's the guy who signed Ali Dia while managing Southampton. Based on his ability to judge players I'm going to just go ahead and ignore his comments about me."

1. Souness was known to be very sour about the episode where he was made a laughing for signing a literal fraud, that he threaten to punch his interviewer when asked about it.
2. Remind everyone that Souness is shit at judging players, and use that as an excuse to ignore Souness judgement of Pogba.
Oh yeah! Forgot about that.

Somebody needs to make sure Pogba is aware of that debacle, would be such a burn if Pogs were to mention it. :lol:

RUCK4444

Now that I've actually watched the footage of both Pogba's podcast with Man United and Souness' interview with Sky, here's my thoughts:

1. Pogba was actually extremely respectful and honest. "I heard he was a great player but I didn't know who he was". He wasn't dismissive in any way, he just admitted the honest truth.

2. I would blame Sky and particularly Carragher more than Souness for the response, it's like they were baiting him.
Yes I haven’t seen the videos but that is exactly how I expected it would have been.

Just more of the same tripe from Sky. At this point they would be forgiven for brining back Andy Gray and Richard Keys!

Souness is becoming a parody. The sooner they put him out to pasture the better.

Sara125

For me, just to weigh in on the race conversation from above, I find these sorts of comments having more of a racial undertone than most.

I was watching Joe Hart’s podcast a while ago and he said there was a thing in the game growing up that you ‘can’t trust a black goalkeeper’. It was rarely said explicitly, but the point of it, he said, was that coaches saw them as too ‘erratic/unserious’ or something of that nature for such a role. Two much clown-like.

This question of attitude to the game always lies below the surface for black players. I don’t think many people of a certain British generation are simply ready for a young black millionaire. The things we like, the personality we have, directly contradicts the things they, in all their wisdom, have concluded is ‘sensible’ or a reasonable interest for a young man. The clothes we like, they have decided is too loud, the music we like is not real music, our dancing is too clowny etc. When in the spotlight, it doesn’t take long before headlines like ‘bad boy’ and ‘bling bling’ etc are used. As far as they are aware, you look like the rappers their kids watch on MTV.

The amount of time I have heard about ‘Pogba’s social media activity’. What does that even mean? He posts nothing offensive on social media. People should check themselves if they think there is a problem with dancing, wearing bright clothes, jewellery etc - and even more so if they feel they can glean an insight to your dedication and determination from it.

The other day, Sancho, Rashford and Kyle Walker were on the front of The Sun with the headline ‘twerking from home’, because they were on Tory Lanez’ Instagram Live where girls were twerking.They posted laughing emojis in the comments. As did Scott McTominay and Jack Wilshere, but they were not mentioned.

All of those ‘he supported this player who was black’ is missing the point massively. There are many black players or people who do not confront you with their ‘blackness’. There are those who due to their tastes or exposure etc operate within the confines that these people have concluded is ‘normal’. He drives a modest car. He dresses like the rest of us. He likes the same sort of girls. He talks like us, doesn’t use the same slang etc. There were many black footballers from eras gone by whose behaviour is not stereotypically ‘black’. There were a few whose was, like Andy Cole for example, who was also slapped with the attitude problem stick, and frankly has his achievements massively overlooked. In today’s game, with the money and exposure, you have plenty of young, rich black players who are now overtly ‘black’ - and almost all of them from what I gather is greeted with disapproval. They go to rap concerts, they like to dance, they do their hair certain ways, jewellery etc, they connect with their African or Caribbean roots. Then you have the Neville’s or Sounesses who feel they are qualified to draw the line as to when that stuff is ‘too much’, or ask what they feel is an honest question of whether they can possibly concentrate on being a professional footballer and get their hair cut every week etc.

Ultimately, our personalities, interests etc are not in keeping with ‘normal’, and in their own words, ‘people wouldn’t mind so much if you deliver on the pitch every weekend’, but you shouldn’t be yourself if you struggle to do that. Maybe you can post a video of you petting your Golden Retriever - that is relatable and on the list of what is normal. Dancing in your front room with your brother? Too much.

One of my biggest issues with Pogba is the off-field complaints get gets are largely direct attacks on who he simply is, which come from his background and culture, and have been used to paint him as an unserious footballer. Of course, the things on the pitch, either way, will be seen as confirmation of that. A poor pass or loss of the ball will spark a long talk about his ‘concentration and attitude’, while his many good games are ‘see, you can see what he can become if he just applies himself’.

The fact that Pogba can post a video dancing in his living room and a Sky Sports presenter could show/mention it to Souness or Keane with a ‘Graeme, have you seen this video, I’m sure you’ll love it’ as a joke tells it’s own story. It’s a non-story. Yet even on Redcafe, the amount of times I’ve read ‘I’m not saying it’s necessarily wrong, but he should be sensible enough to not do it’ regarding Pogba is a problem. He is not required to be who Souness or Caf poster x thinks he should be. Why is the conversation on Sky Sports never ‘why do we have a problem with his hair or dancing?’. Just because everyone in the room all agrees does not validate it at all.

Some will say, ‘it’s not about his hair etc, I just have an issue with him giving the ball away’ or whatever they feel his footballing deficiencies are. The point is, that isn’t true. The complaining about loss of possession is massively disproportionate to the actual losing of possession. If all the complaints were simply about football, you simply couldn’t be talking about one of the best few midfielders in the country. Pogba, as he is now, not when he learns to cut x or y out his game, but right now - is better than almost every midfielder in England. You would not think that at all based on the press he gets, both on here and in the media. We could of course, choose to discuss areas for improvement, nothing wrong with that. But the point is, there are a lot more positives to discuss even from a solely footballing perspective than weaknesses, and would be the case if he were white British. He gives the ball away less than people who do not get criticism for giving the ball away, for example. It’s clearly personal, and the personal stuff is likely based on conclusions drawn on a personality that you likely don’t understand at all. The more recent stuff with Raiola has now provided the perfect cover, and it’s easier to now say it is all on that.
Just catching up with this thread. Your post is spot on. I actually said something similar in another thread back in January:

When the criticism transcends past what he does/doesn’t do on the pitch and does/doesn’t do for the club in its entirety, into his personal life it definitely becomes bullying.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying players have never had their personal lives picked apart and criticised, but usually when it happens it’s cos the player has actually done something morally or legally wrong e.g. players drink driving, Rooney’s adultery, Giggs’ scandal etc. whereas with Pogba it’s usually stuff like him dancing on Instagram or changing his hair...like, why is that such an issue? Not just by pundits but by united fans on social media and even on this very caf as well.

Also, I will go as far as saying it somewhat has racial undertones to it, especially the hair criticisms, and I think it’s starting to become more evident now.
Glad to see I’m not the only one who has clocked the undertones.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I agree with nearly all of @Rozay's post, apart from the bit at the end where he seems to be suggesting that those complaining about Pogba's footballing deficiencies must be influenced by those other factors because he is indisputably one of the best midfielders around.

The reality is that there are very valid reasons to criticize Pogba as a footballer, even if those who most highly rate him seem reluctant to accept that this is the case. Players are always judged in the context of their price tag, reputation and potential ability. And against that context Pogba has been a relative disappointment at Manchester United. That hasn't happened with absolutely no contribution on his part. He quite clearly has some very evident flaws in his game and some people will judge those flaws more or less harshly depending on their view on football. It would be bizarre to think that this wouldn't or shouldn't attract fair criticism, even though he remains better than an awful lot of other players we judge to a lesser standard. A comparison would be someone like Mesut Ozil, who has long been divisive due to certain flaws as a footballer that particularly irritate some fans, while others focus on the positives he brings in terms of talent and creativity. He has certainly attracted more criticism that some other players who have objectively offered less than he has, for reasons that are squarely to do with football.

The issue is that fair criticism of Pogba has been subsumed by criticism that varies from being simply stupid to falling perfectly in line with racist tropes about black players. In fact a lot of people seem to fall into this trap even without realising their criticism carries those undertones, which I suspect is also the case with Souness.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yes I haven’t seen the videos but that is exactly how I expected it would have been.

Just more of the same tripe from Sky. At this point they would be forgiven for brining back Andy Gray and Richard Keys!

Souness is becoming a parody. The sooner they put him out to pasture the better.
What I don't get is why noone brings up Ali Dia.

If there is anything that will get him to stay in his lane it's that.

KennyBurner

This is the man always harassing Pogba consistently. I wonder what his employers think after making such a stupid comment during a time like this. Is he not supposed to be some sort of self righteous role model?

Im sure he would be the selfish cnut that hides his bite in a zombie apocalypse.

Stacks

This is the man always harassing Pogba consistently. I wonder what his employers think after making such a stupid comment during a time like this. Is he not supposed to be some sort of self righteous role model?

Im sure he would be the selfish cnut that hides his bite in a zombie apocalypse.
don't think he ever tries to be self righteous as he admitted he was a big time Charlie. He bangs on about giving it all on the pitch. He has been consistent with this.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I think you have to look at the behaviour of Pogba and ask what is he doing? His antics have caused an elderly man to have a mental breakdown and I'd be questioning where his priorities lie.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
cnuty and completely irresponsible thing to say which most of the Sky pundits have been through this situation.

Art Vandelay

I don't see the problem, he said he could be persuaded by his manager if he felt fine. It would be a stupid thing to do, but it's highlighting the possible mindset of some players. He's clearly suggesting we void the season.

KennyBurner

don't think he ever tries to be self righteous as he admitted he was a big time Charlie. He bangs on about giving it all on the pitch. He has been consistent with this.
He has also admitted that he would willingly put other people’s lives at risk. I guess it doesn’t matter because he is passionate on the pitch.
I don't see the problem, he said he could be persuaded by his manager if he felt fine. It would be a stupid thing to do, but it's highlighting the possible mindset of some players. He's clearly suggesting we void the season.
its clear you don’t understand how a virus works if you think there is nothing wrong with what he has said. I guess there is no need for anyone to self isolate since there isn’t a chance of spreading a deadly virus to others as long as you seem fine to go about your daily business.

Art Vandelay

He has also admitted that he would willingly put other people’s lives at risk. I guess it doesn’t matter because he is passionate on the pitch.

its clear you don’t understand how a virus works if you think there is nothing wrong with what he has said. I guess there is no need for anyone to self isolate since there isn’t a chance of spreading a deadly virus to others as long as you seem fine to go about your daily business.
You clearly understand being a drama queen. I work in healtchcare, I know how a virus works. He's an ex player highlighting a possible mindset of some players, he's in no position to do what he's actually talking about given he's retired, but he's highlighted a possible problem with his comments. He's hardly going to lace up his boots now is he?

But given he's highlighted that this could be a problem it's something else for them to consider when bringing football back. Not that it's a new thought or anything, some of these people are so selfish they can't go without hookers during a pandemic.

clarkydaz

Special breed Liverpool players aint they? Suarez takes a chomp out of you, Carragher covers you in spit and Souness finishes you off with a virus

KennyBurner

You clearly understand being a drama queen. I work in healtchcare, I know how a virus works. He's an ex player highlighting a possible mindset of some players, he's in no position to do what he's actually talking about given he's retired, but he's highlighted a possible problem with his comments. He's hardly going to lace up his boots now is he?

But given he's highlighted that this could be a problem it's something else for them to consider when bringing football back. Not that it's a new thought or anything, some of these people are so selfish they can't go without hookers during a pandemic.
That’s were we both disagree. There is no sane mindset where you understand how a virus works and are aware you have tested positive for said virus but think it’s okay to lace up your boots and go to work just because you’re needed. I don’t think there is any normal footballer who would want to play willingly knowing they can spread a deadly virus. Basically he has created a problem that doesn’t exist because in truth he is a horrible person. I’m sure every footballer in this league has been educated on what to do with if they test positive for the virus so what’s the need in him highlighting a problem that doesn’t exist?

I also know he is in no position to play given he is retired but for him to understand something that isnt normal tells you why we shouldn’t put stock into anything he has to say.

Art Vandelay

That’s were we both disagree. There is no sane mindset where you understand how a virus works and are aware you have tested positive for said virus but think it’s okay to lace up your boots and go to work just because you’re needed. I don’t think there is any normal footballer who would want to play willingly knowing they can spread a deadly virus. Basically he has created a problem that doesn’t exist because in truth he is a horrible person. I’m sure every footballer in this league has been educated on what to do with if they test positive for the virus so what’s the need in him highlighting a problem that doesn’t exist?

I also know he is in no position to play given he is retired but for him to understand something that isnt normal tells you why we shouldn’t put stock into anything he has to say.
Yes there very clearly is that mindset, there's businesses that refused to close until they were forced to, people that consider it nothing but a burden to them and try to get around the rules. There are people flouting the lockdown rules to go drinking in parks. People ignoring them to go queue outside shops. There's a reason police were given extra powers to deal with people ignoring the lockdown. There are footballers ignoring the rules and spread of this to bring in hookers and throw parties. There was a manager in Germany suspended for breaking the rules. To suggest he's made this mindset up is ludicrous.

You're wilfully being naive because he said some bad things about a player you like and this gives you a platform to give off about him. How are you any better than what he does?

KennyBurner

Yes there very clearly is that mindset, there's businesses that refused to close until they were forced to, people that consider it nothing but a burden to them and try to get around the rules. There are people flouting the lockdown rules to go drinking in parks. People ignoring them to go queue outside shops. There's a reason police were given extra powers to deal with people ignoring the lockdown. There are footballers ignoring the rules and spread of this to bring in hookers and throw parties. There was a manager in Germany suspended for breaking the rules. To suggest he's made this mindset up is ludicrous.

You're wilfully being naive because he said some bad things about a player you like and this gives you a platform to give off about him. How are you any better than what he does?
You’ve missed the point that none of these people willingly know if they’ve tested positive for the virus. Isn’t that what my argument has always been based off? My argument is that these people will self isolate and not decide to expose themselves like souness says he would if they knew they tested positive. Start from there.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

None of these people knowingly did those things having tested positive though, which is an obvious key difference.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ignorant on every level from Sourness.

Ignoring the morality, infecting others etc side of things, which is bad enough, is the fact that you can obviously be ill with it - so he very likely wouldn't be playing with it to any extent anyway! The donut.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Disgraceful comments. He probably thinks stuff like this makes him more of a man, the insecure fart.

Art Vandelay

You’ve missed the point that none of these people willingly know if they’ve tested positive for the virus. Isn’t that what my argument has always been based off? My argument is that these people will self isolate and not decide to expose themselves like souness says he would if they knew they tested positive. Start from there.
None of these people knowingly did those things having tested positive though, which is an obvious key difference.
You don't know that. You're assuming their selfishness would stop if they tested positive, why assume that? They are selfish enough to break the rules in the first place, why assume there's a cut off for them?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

:lol:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A right wing Tory supporting property developer Brexiter gammon wouldn't give a feck about putting others at risk? I'm shocked.