Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Souness is many things but a racist isn't one of them. He was also the manager to break Rangers' policy of not signing Catholic players so I'd say he's a pretty liberal guy in that sense. He's just a bit of a grumpy arse at times and too stubborn to accept that he may have gotten it wrong initially so doubles down on it.

Is it just me or is the guy top right the twin of Luis Suarez? :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Baffling that people even want to imply it’s racism. Souness has his faults but that isn’t one of them. My take is as a fellow midfielder he’s frustrated by seeing such a talented player not deliver. Yes he’s focused too much on PP but it doesn’t help people have latched on to it and bring it up to him constantly.
This. Souness knows acutely the elements of midfield play that Pogba has been patchy at in recent years but which are integral to controlling games on and off the ball from that area of the park. He’s always been hard on players who were inconsistent in that area both as a pundit and as a manager.

Sky are obviously playing everyone like fiddles instructing their presenters to ask his view on him every broadcast.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This. Souness knows acutely the elements of midfield play that Pogba has been patchy at in recent years but which are integral to controlling games on and off the ball from that area of the park. He’s always been hard on players who were inconsistent in that area both as a pundit and as a manager.

Sky are obviously playing everyone like fiddles instructing their presenters to ask his view on him every broadcast.
Agreed. He probably looks at KDB and gets frustrated that Pogba isn't as consistent considering he has the talent to be as good as KDB but instead, from the outside, it appears that he is more focused on extra curricular activities.

I doubt Souness is a racist at all.

Pantscat

No he's very complimentary to Rashford, he's a bit odd with foreign black players.
Agreed. I am as certain as I can be that this is more about ‘foreigners’ than about skin colour. He signed several black players as Liverpool manager; but English players.

I think he’s suspicious of the work rate of foreigners generally (which is probably an attitude worth challenging) but I really don’t think it’s a skin colour thing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd say if you're a central midfielder of any standing, Souness is going to have an interest in your game. If you're a central midfielder of standing at the club he hates the most (moreso than Celtic, Scottish folk?), he's going to scrutinise your game and if he finds holes in it, relevant to the talent being spoken about, he's going to dig you out incessantly whilst Liverpool are up and the floor is his, to speak his piece.

Souness is one of the greatest b2b midfielders of all time, this is a fact. Some of the basic edicts doled out from the gods - which Souness lived and died by on the pitch - when it comes to box-to-box play are: workrate, consistency and studiousness, so it is always going to be the bare minimum he expects of any b2b midfielder considered world class.

The plaudits Pogba receives will have him scrutinised even more, so it's a cycle with Souness that will remain perpetual until Pogba gets with the program as Souness sees it.

I don't think it's any kind of 'ism' or anything to do with being foreign or black; I'll put money on Souness having showered praise on Viera, Makelele or Kante, but if you're the creative sort with obscene amounts of talent not putting in the graft he deems prerequisite, he's going to be all over you - the difference between a Pogba and De Bruyne, for example through Souness' eyes will be that one looks like he's giving his all out there and is a sure thing in terms of what can be expected of him in a game, whilst the other is perceived to not be switched on and somewhat indifferent at times, which, to the type of mindset Souness has, is both incomprehensible and unacceptable.

Pogba is his bug bear, not only because he plays for Manchester United, but also for being arguably the most talented central midfielder on the planet who, to Souness, is still not meeting the bar by not being all the grafting adjectives you can usually ascribe to any of the truly great central midfielders of all time.

I'm pretty sure Souness will have no issues with praising Pogba if, to him, he ever turns those elements around.

freeurmind

weak willed
I'd say if you're a central midfielder of any standing, Souness is going to have an interest in your game. If you're a central midfielder of standing at the club he hates the most (moreso than Celtic, Scottish folk?), he's going to scrutinise your game and if he finds holes in it, relevant to the talent being spoken about, he's going to dig you out incessantly whilst Liverpool are up and the floor is his, to speak his piece.

Souness is one of the greatest b2b midfielders of all time, this is a fact. Some of the basic edicts doled out from the gods - which Souness lived and died by on the pitch - when it comes to box-to-box play are: workrate, consistency and studiousness, so it is always going to be the bare minimum he expects of any b2b midfielder considered world class.

The plaudits Pogba receives will have him scrutinised even more, so it's a cycle with Souness that will remain perpetual until Pogba gets with the program as Souness sees it.

I don't think it's any kind of 'ism' or anything to do with being foreign or black; I'll put money on Souness having showered praise on Viera, Makelele or Kante, but if you're the creative sort with obscene amounts of talent not putting in the graft he deems prerequisite, he's going to be all over you - the difference between a Pogba and De Bruyne, for example through Souness' eyes will be that one looks like he's giving his all out there and is a sure thing in terms of what can be expected of him in a game, whilst the other is perceived to not be switched on and somewhat indifferent at times, which, to the type of mindset Souness has, is both incomprehensible and unacceptable.

Pogba is his bug bear, not only because he plays for Manchester United, but also for being arguably the most talented central midfielder on the planet who, to Souness, is still not meeting the bar by not being all the grafting adjectives you can usually ascribe to any of the truly great central midfielders of all time.

I'm pretty sure Souness will have no issues with praising Pogba if, to him, he ever turns those elements around.
Absolute bollocks. Souness clearly has an agenda against Pogba.

HJ12

My take on Souness's Pogba bashing is that all the ABU's were nauseated when we signed him 2016 and were probably shtting themselves that we got someone so talented back in our team. The narrative against him is a great way for them to create negative publicity around him, which could literally break players and force them out - which again would be to the benefit of all the ABU's. He'll never shut them up unless he scores in every game. No other CM in the league is judged to these standards by Souness and Co.

freeurmind

weak willed
So you think it has nothing to do with his playstyle, and is all about Pogba the person?
I have no clue what it's about whether it's racism or his hatred for United or him just being a dick in general but his constant refrain around pogba even when he doesn't play is ridiculous.

Djemba-Djemba

He's brought up Pogba when he's had nothing to do with the topic they're discussing, just to have a moan about him.

It's definitely weird.

A lot of the things he complains about with Pogba are valid , it's just the fact he's obsessed with him that makes it odd.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I have no clue what it's about whether it's racism or his hatred for United or him just being a dick in general but his constant refrain around pogba even when he doesn't play is ridiculous.
As my post stated, there shouldn't be any problem finding congratulatory prose for the kind of CM's he was or who have a game predicated on graft: Essien, Viera, Kante, Makelele; I'd be astonished if Souness has no praise for them.

Pogba sticks in someone like Souness' craw for living the lifestyle of a superstar, whilst, from his perception, not delivering like one in relation to being a CM. I believe that's the bare bones of it, and yes, has probably manifested in obsession over him.

I just don't believe, if Pogba put in the graft and was an exemplary two-way midfielder, Souness would have anything much to say about him.

Going in on Pogba is also not the same as going in on anyone else in the league as he is by far the most talented, aside from De Bruyne, but opposed to the Belgian, he is perceived to not give everything he has on both sides of the ball. If Pogba wasn't the talent he is, I don't think Souness would give two shits about him, personally. You don't see him commentating on the likes of Lingard, who it might be perceived, lives a lifestyle that an old traditionalist would deign 'appalling'.

For me, Souness' ire/obsession is borne out of what Pogba doesn't do on the pitch, rather than what he does to this point in time. I don't think it goes much deeper than that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Souness just hates United in general.

Spent the whole evening bashing AWB/Martial and Pogba then gushed about Liverpool until he started signing YAWN on the table.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He’s going off on one about Grealish now saying that the statistic about Grealish being the most fouled player in the league means he’s ‘not seeing the picture quick enough’ and holding onto the ball too long. :lol:

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
He’s going off on one about Grealish now saying that the statistic about Grealish being the most fouled player in the league means he’s ‘not seeing the picture quick enough’ and holding onto the ball too long. :lol:
I actually agree with that. I feel like he doesn't release the ball quick enough sometimes

ShinjiNinja26

He’s probably only saying that cause he’s been linked with United, getting the digs in early, bitter cnut.

arnie_ni

I didn't see it so I didn't know he said he's not a good player
Said he would love to play against him.

The tone of his voice also made it apparent. He cam across quite disgusted like how he talks about PP

DoomSlayer

There may be occasions he could release it earlier but to claim he’s not a good player because he gets fouled too much is a mental position to take.
The factor that Grealish plays for a shite team should also be taken into consideration.

RyRoc

I understand what Sounness is saying but In fairness to Grealish I don’t that was the case when in the Championship and Villa had other players more than capable of stepping up. I think for Villa in the prem he knows that he’s the one that has to produce and that can sometimes mean he holds on to the ball too long.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Seen the strong United links and getting his agenda in early. :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Said he would love to play against him.

The tone of his voice also made it apparent. He cam across quite disgusted like how he talks about PP
Wonder how long he'd last in today's game. 2minutes?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Agreed. I am as certain as I can be that this is more about ‘foreigners’ than about skin colour. He signed several black players as Liverpool manager; but English players.

I think he’s suspicious of the work rate of foreigners generally (which is probably an attitude worth challenging) but I really don’t think it’s a skin colour thing.
Ah so he's a xenophobe instead of a racist? Much better. :p

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

If that is the case, why did he manage in Turkey?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Did Souness go off on Gerrard's performances as a holding midfielder when Liverpool were leaking goals during that season?

Very curious if he slags off Liverpool players the way he does others.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I actually agree with that. I feel like he doesn't release the ball quick enough sometimes
Agree too. Good example was the goal Villa conceded against Watford when he got robbed in midfield dwelling on the ball. Whether he moves the ball quicker at a better team with superior off-the-ball options remains to be seen. Still a class act though.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's not racist or xenophobic, he's just a dinosaur who dislikes anyone who uses social media, thinks men who use deodorant are girly men and believes off the pitch everyone should spend their spare time being a lumberjack or some other manly endeavor.

Denis' cuff

can understand his criticism of Grealish. Like Arsenal boy wonder Wilshire, does tend to pose on the ball and not see the bigger picture and move it on. Encourages defenders to clatter into them and injuries result, A bit hypocritical, though, considering he was a major poser on the ball when at Middlesboro before Liverpool surprisingly bought him and instilled the discipline he never previously had. Remember a cup match vs Boro at OT when we were in Div 2. They were a decent team and he was pirouetting and posing on the ball on the big stage before Sammy Mac came out of nowhere and took it off his toes and put United in front. Made him look a right prick.

dont think he’s racist or xeno, or anything to do with unsocial media. Just a bit of a knob. Dislikes big time Charlies, even though he was one himself.

GoldanoGraham

How this idiot is given air time as a commentator is beyond me - he offers no tactical insight and is from the Jurassic era - he is so blinkered to Liverpool that he has forgotten that he was the catalyst for their 30 year demise - the audacity to slate players these days is something else.....:for me the worst pundit on tv

HJ12

How this idiot is given air time as a commentator is beyond me - he offers no tactical insight and is from the Jurassic era - he is so blinkered to Liverpool that he has forgotten that he was the catalyst for their 30 year demise - the audacity to slate players these days is something else.....:for me the worst pundit on tv
But he's got pashun! And he looks angry all the time, so he must be good.

Prodigal7

The bloke’s pathetic. Even Heskey is joining in and laughing at how bias he is against United and any player linked or associated with us.

Prodigal7

Take it they were on about Grealish?
Yeah he said that being the leagues most fouled player is because he doesn’t move it quick enough. Heskey started saying it’s because he doesn’t have the movement around him to release it earlier at which point he got angry. Passive agressive references that Heskey was also trained at Liverpool. How is this guy a pundit, at least leave him out of United games.

Morpheus 7

Yeah he said that being the leagues most fouled player is because he doesn’t move it quick enough. Heskey started saying it’s because he doesn’t have the movement around him to release it earlier at which point he got angry. Passive agressive references that Heskey was also trained at Liverpool. How is this guy a pundit, at least leave him out of United games.
Souness is sky's wum, he always drums up attention because of poor and outdated views. His hatred for United getting any credit outweighs everything. I don't blame the miserable bstrd, I blame sky for not getting stronger pundits on.

Prodigal7

Souness is sky's wum, he always drums up attention because of poor and outdated views. His hatred for United getting any credit outweighs everything. I don't blame the miserable bstrd, I blame sky for not getting stronger pundits on.
Heskey just destroyed him again on Grealish. This guy should just fecking retire like Alan Hansen.

Evans999

He's completely insufferable and laughed at by other pundits.

Sky only have him on so they can tweet what he says and get lots of interactions on their posts on social media which pleases sponsors.

He hasn't managed a club since 2006. Footballs moved on, he offers no insights. Can't wait until he's off television

Reactions: SteveJ

dbs235

Perhaps I shouldn't but I do find pundits like him and Keane entertaining.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's not racist or xenophobic, he's just a dinosaur who dislikes anyone who uses social media, thinks men who use deodorant are girly men and believes off the pitch everyone should spend their spare time being a lumberjack or some other manly endeavor.
So basically a baby boomer.