Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Fluctuation0161

This is about individual clubs though, only United-fans broke into the stadium, beat up cops and created civil unrest during a global pandemic. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City all played and won games for their fans, only Man Utd-fans managed to commit criminal acts to stop a bloody football game. So no, this wasn’t about something bigger, this is just football and a bunch of people from Manchester ruining the fun for millions of fans across the world.
Bollocks.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
As a pundit I'm a big fan of Souness, especially when he's on with Keane. Some of you blinkered just because he's a scouser.
Why's that then? Name a few things that make you a fan of him.

As a player, excellent.

As a manager, average at best.

But as a pundit, why? He doesn't understand the rules (he quotes laws that have changed), he changes opinions depending on which club(s) are involved, he's amazingly biased, he doesn't bring any tactical insight, he has agendas against certain players and last year he said he would've carried on playing if he had Coronavirus.

So what is is that makes him good? No not good, very good ("big fan")?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
This is about individual clubs though, only United-fans broke into the stadium, beat up cops and created civil unrest during a global pandemic. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City all played and won games for their fans, only Man Utd-fans managed to commit criminal acts to stop a bloody football game. So no, this wasn’t about something bigger, this is just football and a bunch of people from Manchester ruining the fun for millions of fans across the world.
What an atrocious take on today.

That bunch of people from Manchester are Manchester United. It doesn't exist without them. We can pretend it does. But to pretend it does, is to equate football to a business and solely a business. Manchester United is where it is today because of the local fans. The ones who attended in their tens of thousands when we were a second tier team. The ones who always stuck by the club through thick and thin.

The fans across the world (And being from Ireland, I'm one of them) can watch the game. We can be happy or sad depending on the result. We can care as much as the person from Salford or Stretford. There are those from Ireland, Scandinavia, other parts of Europe, the US, wherever, who live and breath United, They buy every shirt, they live for every match. But unfortunately for us, as much as we care, we can never equate what we feel for United to what those who are from Manchester feel.

We are fans, they are the club.

Today was their day to show that the local fans do matter. They aren't "legacy fans". They aren't fans who are just going to accept whatever is put to them and hand over thousands in season ticket money. Today was their day to show that the biggest fixture on our calendar becomes irrelevant if you make the fans irrelevant. As international fans, like it or not, we aren't the lifeblood of the club. The reds of Manchester are and they let their voices be heard today.

littlepeasoup

The fundamental lack of understanding of how United was bought with debt is pretty on brand for this absolute moron.

"They took a big risk buying the club... They've spent £700mil on transfers." Prat.

I don't blame him for not knowing about a subject he clearly doesn't give two sh*ts about, but I do think he's an absolute prick for acting so indignant where he clearly has absolutely no clue.

Tiber

Jenas was talking a load of shite aswell. But that's hardly a shock

littlepeasoup

That he's seen as the second coming of football presenting is absolutely nuts. Same with Souness, I don't blame every pundit for not knowing the intricacies of football finance and ownership, but don't talk with passion about something you clearly know nothing about.

Suedesi

Wtf was he won about a beer can could kill ya. The fecking idiot stormed the Fenerbahçe pitch, with a massive Galatasaray flag, and planted it in the centre of their pitch almost starting a riot in the stands. Now he's acting like a pompous twat, just because he feels the need to defend the system. fecking hell

Chicken United 7

His comments were a total disgrace. I was so wound up after listening to them. I was against fans storming the pitch and breaking things as there is no viable next step after that, but this guy basically told us that the Glazers are good owners who invest a lot in the club, and that we are only protesting because we’ve stopped winning. No, you outdated dinosaur, we’re protesting due to built up irritation at the Glazers behaviour since their takeover. Fans were protesting in 2010 when we were reigning PL champions.

Since taking over in 2005, and this is for people who don’t understand what the Glazers have done as well, these parasites have taken close to £100m in dividends out of club coffers, while investing a grand total of zero back into the club, so that dispels Souness’ nonsensical words and even behaviour yesterday already.

There’s also obviously the bit where the clearly see owning the club as merely a basin of cash where the tap will never stop running, instead of nurturing it as they should. The fact that after Gill retired, they put Woodward and Judge in charge, two accountants in charge of the football side of the club is nearly as disgusting as the amount of money they’ve taken out without any investment. They’ve genuinely run our football club like a bank, and when you don’t have the greatest manager of all time doing things all on his own anymore, it’s no wonder we stopped being successful. Ole would be the best manager in the PL if he wins a title for us under these guys.

And the worst part is the contempt for the fans. They have not listened to a single piece of advice given by any fan. They see every fan as numbers and customers. Protesting, as I’ve already said, is a great way to make our voices heard, but let’s be honest, the main and best way to get back at them and get them out is a complete boycott. Don’t buy any match tickets, don’t buy a single piece of merchandise and evade the gift shop at all times. If fans do that, it’ll be hilariously quick before they sell up. These are disgusting, greedy parasites all scrambling for money.

Back to Souness though, you could tell how disgusted Keane was by his comments :lol: “*wince* No, Graeme”

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Absolutely!
I drank coffee so not to fall asleep to watch a match at 2 am. :lol:

Bulldog United

Sourness is an absolute dinosaur. Thankfully, I can't see Sky renewing his contract. They've been ditching the pundits who have been around too long across all sports. Let's hope his contract expires soon.

cyberman

He gets a pass for being a constant wet blanket. The BBC also pretending hes a young man annoys me as well. Hes a 38 year old man who is continually asked what phrases the youth of today use and he smiles like a balloon as if its a kid talking to his grandad.
40 is going to kick him right in the balls

crossy1686

career ending
I find it the height of irony that a man that once planted a Galatasary flag in the middle of a packed Fenerbache stadium and caused a full blown riot, has given a lecture on correct protest protocol.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What an atrocious take on today.

That bunch of people from Manchester are Manchester United. It doesn't exist without them. We can pretend it does. But to pretend it does, is to equate football to a business and solely a business. Manchester United is where it is today because of the local fans. The ones who attended in their tens of thousands when we were a second tier team. The ones who always stuck by the club through thick and thin.

The fans across the world (And being from Ireland, I'm one of them) can watch the game. We can be happy or sad depending on the result. We can care as much as the person from Salford or Stretford. There are those from Ireland, Scandinavia, other parts of Europe, the US, wherever, who live and breath United, They buy every shirt, they live for every match. But unfortunately for us, as much as we care, we can never equate what we feel for United to what those who are from Manchester feel.

We are fans, they are the club.

Today was their day to show that the local fans do matter. They aren't "legacy fans". They aren't fans who are just going to accept whatever is put to them and hand over thousands in season ticket money. Today was their day to show that the biggest fixture on our calendar becomes irrelevant if you make the fans irrelevant. As international fans, like it or not, we aren't the lifeblood of the club. The reds of Manchester are and they let their voices be heard today.
Perfect

Red_toad

Wtf was he won about a beer can could kill ya. The fecking idiot stormed the Fenerbahçe pitch, with a massive Galatasaray flag, and planted it in the centre of their pitch almost starting a riot in the stands. Now he's acting like a pompous twat, just because he feels the need to defend the system. fecking hell
Didn’t throw it at the fans though. He has a point, some bellends throwing full cans of piss and a flare at the commentary box is out of order. The protest wasn’t supposed to be about harming people who are just going about their jobs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Easy to see how much Carragher and Neville are connected to the fans and Souness is just a bitter old fool.

Red_Aaron

The fundamental lack of understanding of how United was bought with debt is pretty on brand for this absolute moron.

"They took a big risk buying the club... They've spent £700mil on transfers." Prat.

I don't blame him for not knowing about a subject he clearly doesn't give two sh*ts about, but I do think he's an absolute prick for acting so indignant where he clearly has absolutely no clue.
I agree, I was furious yesterday and it's continually the subject which winds me up the most

As you say that's not necessarily souness's fault but it should be the responsibility of the channels and programmers to ensure that the intricacies are explained to the pundits and the audience. If souness was given all the relevant information there's every chance he'd agree with us and then use his platform to promote the real reasons behind the protests which in turn makes the issue bigger all over the country which could then lead to actual change in our game

As long as the broadcasters treat this subject as just another example of fan tribalism or glory-hunting-inspired whinging it'll continue to be misunderstood and therefore not given the correct respect by non-utd fans

You only have to look at how sky reacted to Matthew Syeds takedown of abramovich on their 'let's celebrate roman day'. Their not interested in anything beyond the promotion of their product

Haddock

I agree, I was furious yesterday and it's continually the subject which winds me up the most

As you say that's not necessarily souness's fault but it should be the responsibility of the channels and programmers to ensure that the intricacies are explained to the pundits and the audience. If souness was given all the relevant information there's every chance he'd agree with us and then use his platform to promote the real reasons behind the protests which in turn makes the issue bigger all over the country which could then lead to actual change in our game

As long as the broadcasters treat this subject as just another example of fan tribalism or glory-hunting-inspired whinging it'll continue to be misunderstood and therefore not given the correct respect by non-utd fans

You only have to look at how sky reacted to Matthew Syeds takedown of abramovich on their 'let's celebrate roman day'. Their not interested in anything beyond the promotion of their product
Absolutely spot on. Most pundits are there for an easy gig. They just don't get it. Even the so-called intelligent ones chat an inordinate amount of shit. I once heard Pat Nevin claim the Glazers have pumped money into United and used Marcos Rojo as an example. But Nevin will never get criticised because he likes New Order and votes Labour or some shite.

Fingeredmouse

Absolutely spot on. Most pundits are there for an easy gig. They just don't get it. Even the so-called intelligent ones chat an inordinate amount of shit. I once heard Pat Nevin claim the Glazers have pumped money into United and used Marcos Rojo as an example. But Nevin will never get criticised because he likes New Order and votes Labour or some shite.
Nevin said that? I'd have expected better.
I remember Bob Wilson ranting about how we were the same as Chelsea but he was a confused old man upset about Arsenal being marginalised.

red4ever 79

Have to say I thought Souness and David Jones came across yesterday as bitter and clueless. I was happy to see the other 3 pundits put them right and continue with their support of the protest.

EngimaMK

Alright princess

EngimaMK

As a pundit I'm a big fan of Souness, especially when he's on with Keane. Some of you blinkered just because he's a scouser.
You like him as a pundit? That's actually mental. Are you from an era where running around a lot or kicking lumps out of people was considered good football? Genuine question.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Well said. So many of the media have next to no understanding of what they are talking about and it's no surprise they revert to their default instincts. So on BBC the typical response (Jenas / Shearer) is condemnation of the protests from a security and rule-breaking perspective; on Sky it's more about product protection and the generation of stormy club rivalries. A lot of the media class - as mostly wealthy ex-players who played in a different era of ownership and football financing - are tonedeaf to the concerns of fans. And until they properly engage in the topic, in the way that the likes of Carragher and Neville often do, they only serve to reinforce that disconnect between fans and the owners of their clubs and competitions.

He's their Giggs. Legend of a player but absolute prick of a man, and completely out of touch with what the club is supposed to be about. At least we can see it about our guy.

Tiber

He gets a pass for being a constant wet blanket. The BBC also pretending hes a young man annoys me as well. Hes a 38 year old man who is continually asked what phrases the youth of today use and he smiles like a balloon as if its a kid talking to his grandad.
Nice posh lad who says all the things the BBC likes to hear. Fully qualified to be England manager if he buys an expensive waistcoat

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He looks about 15 though...

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
But they've signed players have any of these feckers witnessed the state of Old Trafford, the state of what was once one of the best training facilities in Europe in Carrington ,the continual incompetence shown in the boardroom regarding all matters within the club.

I wish one pundit would have the decency to just say 'I know little on this subject so I'm going to say nowt' it would be much more fecking refreshing and honest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I want Jermaine Jenas's agent
His constant appearance across multi platforms really is bizarre.
At least Richards has an undeniable personality and covers Man City, as they have literally no media personalities otherwise.