Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Gazza

Simon Jordan is occasionally wrong but always worth listening to. Graeme Souness is rarely right and never worth listening to. This was great viewing and someone should have done this kind of thing (challenging weak opinions and the 'he doesn't know our league' shit) before. Souness got destroyed here.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Are you all watching a different video? Jordan is a ghoul and Souness is right.

Jordan acts like a child to make a radio show pop off. Utter prick.

Gazza

I find Jordan fascinating and most of the times agree with his comments. He talks a lot of sense. I love the fact he went in on Souness for his BS he constantly comes out with. He didn’t hold back either.
Indeed indeed. He upsets the dynamics of typical football punditry by using a simple system of making clear statements and supporting them with rational supporting points. Almost like reading a well-written essay. It’s quite the stark divergence from the “talking points + narrative” approach and seems to short circuit the synapses of people like Souness.

90 + 5min

I like Souness. I think he often have good points about football and is one of the better out there together with people like Keane, Neville, Carragher and so on.

Sure, sometimes you don't agree with him but you can tell that he knows football when he talks.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Indeed indeed. He upsets the dynamics of typical football punditry by using a simple system of making clear statements and supporting them with rational supporting points. Almost like reading a well-written essay. It’s quite the stark divergence from the “talking points + narrative” approach and seems to short circuit the synapses of people like Souness.
This has got to be parody? He’s the Jordan Peterson of Football talking heads.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not a massive fan of Simon Jordan, he often tries to use big words but uses them in the wrong context/doesn’t understand their meaning. I feel like he’d be easier to listen to if he wasn’t trying so hard to appear intelligent.

90 + 5min

It’s not a parody, no. Probably more like a different opinion to yours. :)
It is little bit hard to listen to someone who's football club went into administration and while he was chairman of that club, he pretty much hired and fired manager like it was a computer game.

Sure, he can say some clever things but he is no place to criticise Souness.

Gazza

It is little bit hard to listen to someone who's football club went into administration and while he was chairman of that club, he pretty much hired and fired manager like it was a computer game.

Sure, he can say some clever things but he is no place to criticise Souness.
Why not? If somebody is wrong or being unreasonable and reasons can be given to show why that is the case, then why shouldn’t they be called out on it? The discussion was not about owning or running a football club, so I’m not sure what your argument is.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've never listened to Souness much on Sky (bar the Pogba stuff that got posted on here) as sound was always turned down in the pub when he was pundit but listened to him on TS and he's a proper dinosaur pundit, just rehashes cliches of how the game was 30 years ago and how he can't really comment on managers or players as he dosen't know them e.g. Gerrard.

His opinion on De Zebri is ridiculous. He did a very good job at Sassuolo and given Souness played and managed in Italy sure he still at least looks at Serie A table....clearly not.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Simon Jordan is a twat. Ever since he went at Robbie from AFTV and got shown up for being a twat, I can't take him seriously. He does hot takes, uses big words and people think he's some sort of messiah.

90 + 5min

Why not? If somebody is wrong or being unreasonable and reasons can be given to show why that is the case, then why shouldn’t they be called out on it? The discussion was not about owning or running a football club, so I’m not sure what your argument is.
Why is Souness wrong? He says it is a risk taking a manager that "don't" know english football. He is not wrong. Every time you sign manager it is risk although it is kind of pointless saying that at first place.

Because Simon thought he was good enough to "teach" Souness something about football but when he was in charge of his own football club, we know how it went.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Has Souness left Sky? Haven't seen him this season I don't think

Obvious why Sky would sack him off now Pogba has left the league

Gazza

Why is Souness wrong? He says it is a risk taking a manager that "don't" know english football. He is not wrong. Every time you sign manager it is risk although it is kind of pointless saying that at first place.

Because Simon thought he was good enough to "teach" Souness something about football but when he was in charge of his own football club, we know how it went.
It would be hard and probably disingenuous for anyone to watch the original clip from Souness and think that his main point was that every managerial appointment carries risk, when it was clearly the same sort of “foreigners don’t understand our game” guff that has been trotted out for 30 years. He also got caught in a spot of hypocrisy for his “five jobs in five years” soundbyte but then suddenly wanted to go into context when Jordan brought up his own managerial job turbulence. Referring to Jordan’s failed ownership of Palace actually has no relevance to the discussion since the discussion was not about football ownership and in fact it requires zero qualifications to make a reawakened riposte against Souness’s lazy argument.

Elcabron

Are you all watching a different video? Jordan is a ghoul and Souness is right.

Jordan acts like a child to make a radio show pop off. Utter prick.
I agree with this. Souness said very little wrong here. The anchor was being a dick saying he has proved you wrong....no he hasn't. Nor can he prove him wrong as Souness didn't say he won't be a success.

Yes he was being a bit negative towards him but nothing over the top.

Jordans "No I haven't and let me finish please was" annoying as feck.

GlasgowCeltic

I do love the “doesn’t know our game” argument, this is literally the most easily accessible league on the planet, and funnily enough more easily accessible for people outside the UK than in it

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Simon Jordan is a cnut and often wrong but his smarmy git style fools people into thinking he wasn’t wrong because he added little clauses to what he said to get him out of jail for his opinions.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

It would be hard and probably disingenuous for anyone to watch the original clip from Souness and think that his main point was that every managerial appointment carries risk, when it was clearly the same sort of “foreigners don’t understand our game” guff that has been trotted out for 30 years. He also got caught in a spot of hypocrisy for his “five jobs in five years” soundbyte but then suddenly wanted to go into context when Jordan brought up his own managerial job turbulence. Referring to Jordan’s failed ownership of Palace actually has no relevance to the discussion since the discussion was not about football ownership and in fact it requires zero qualifications to make a reawakened riposte against Souness’s lazy argument.
You want to see it that way. I don't. I don't think it has anything to do with where people come from.

Jordan presented his case like it was true while "forgetting" couple of years. Why not being honest? Why not saying, five clubs in nine years? Because it doesn't suit his narrative. He somehow skipped part about first years in Liverpool and last years in Benfica. So wrong on many levels.

And yes, I do think that it has relevance. As I said, he is trying to teach former manager/great player something. But when he got chance to put his mark on football, we have fact how it went. So he is in no position to lecture Souness something that Souness is right about. And that is risk about appointing managers. Although as I said, it is pretty pointless because there are never any guarantees.

AkaAkuma

What Jordan was doing was cherry picking from sourness’s managerial career to highlight Souness doing the very same thing.

De Zerbi spent 3 years at Sassuolo and then moved to Shaktar before the war broke out. The fact he moved around a lot in his early career also doesn’t mean much as it’s pretty common for Italian managers to do this.

it’s lazy and needless for souness to wade in so early and he deserved pulling up on it.
Most likely though I’ve just landed in a talkshite snare!

Devil81

When Simon Jordan went in on Derek Chisora a few years back I actually feared for his safety. Dell Boy was fuming whilst Simon insulted him saying he was an average boxer who gets beat all the time.

It almost felt like he felt he had to put Dell Boy down because that's what he is paid to do by talk sport.

Gazza

You want to see it that way. I don't. I don't think it has anything to do with where people come from.

Jordan presented his case like it was true while "forgetting" couple of years. Why not being honest? Why not saying, five clubs in nine years? Because it doesn't suit his narrative. He somehow skipped part about first years in Liverpool and last years in Benfica. So wrong on many levels.

And yes, I do think that it has relevance. As I said, he is trying to teach former manager/great player something. But when he got chance to put his mark on football, we have fact how it went. So he is in no position to lecture Souness something that Souness is right about. And that is risk about appointing managers. Although as I said, it is pretty pointless because there are never any guarantees.
I don’t really understand the point you’re making in the bolded part tbh.

There’s no lecturing going on and of course he’s “in a position” to express a valid viewpoint about something we can all comment on. He’s not trying to teach anyone anything, you’ve made that up yourself. And Souness managed five clubs in seven years, that’s simple statement of fact.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
As someone whose second language is English, I really enjoy listening to Simon Jordan. He is very articulate, he argues well and ofcourse has a very good vocabulary. How can I be as proficient as that? I guess with the vocabulary I just have to learn more words synonyms, but how can I improve my ability to reason and debate like he does?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Simon Jordan is a cnut and often wrong but his smarmy git style fools people into thinking he wasn’t wrong because he added little clauses to what he said to get him out of jail for his opinions.
Pretty much.

The clauses bit is spot on. He says things that are so thick after hes proven wrong, like:

"I didnt say he would fail, I said hed probably fail, because theres some chance he would do well and that happened, so Im right".

Thats basically Simon Jordan.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Jordan is king size pr*ck, I should like him given the way he ran Palace into the ground, but even that he did like cnut. Twat

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Jordan, or was it Souness, makes an interesting point. De Zerbi, like Souness, has moved jobs a lot. Souness was an absolutely dreadful manager so let's hope for Brighton fans De Zerbi is better.

UnrelatedPsuedo

What Jordan was doing was cherry picking from sourness’s managerial career to highlight Souness doing the very same thing.

De Zerbi spent 3 years at Sassuolo and then moved to Shaktar before the war broke out. The fact he moved around a lot in his early career also doesn’t mean much as it’s pretty common for Italian managers to do this.

it’s lazy and needless for souness to wade in so early and he deserved pulling up on it.
Most likely though I’ve just landed in a talkshite snare!
If I start a job in 2010, a new one in 2020 and another in 2022, it’s fraudulent to suggest I’ve had 3 jobs in 3 years. But it’s also factually correct.

Jordan is an absolute thunderCnut.

Had he pointed out to Souness that De Zerbi spent 3 years at one club and moved to a better one, that ended early due to global politics… that’s a football chat.

Reframing a single period of Souness’ career is just pathetic and the fella does it all the time. He’s not bright. He’s well spoken. Exact same formula that bewitches people in the country all the damn time.