GRAHAM POLL: Mark Clattenburg gives nothing to a side once their fans turn on him

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I thought the referring in the Palace v Liverpool match was far worse. But Clatterburg should have awarded us one of the two pen appeals.

Angelinho

Poll undermines his own argument as to Clattenburg having an Achilles heel, when the only example he cites is from 9 years ago.
It seems a bit of a stretch to suggest Saturday's decisions were anything other than bad calls in the moment.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We had a referee like that in France a few years ago, the league sent him in third division.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
United do deserve this after what Mark did in that 3-2 game wrongly sending off Torres and Ivanovic and allowing an offside goal to stand. It's just karma.

Sereques

Come summer, English FA will send more memorandum to clubs telling them to control their players and respect the Referee. Nothing on Referee accountability. :rolleyes:

Sereques

United do deserve this after what Mark did in that 3-2 game wrongly sending off Torres and Ivanovic and allowing an offside goal to stand. It's just karma.

Yes, when it happens to United it's karma, when it happens to other clubs the league is bent as feck :rolleyes:

PaulRich

He's nothing more than a thinking woman's Jeff Winter. If he was made of chocolate he'd want to eat himself.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not going to speak much about the Burnley-United game because I didn't see much of it. I know the Herrera red was harsh (first tackle was bad, though) but Iheanacho got a yellow card versus United for a pretty identical tackle so it's not exactly crazy to send him off there.

What I will say, though, is that one Google search will show that Graham Poll quite clearly has a personal vendetta against Mark Clattenburg.

DevilRed

Absolute shambles of a ref when in charge of our games.

Goes out of his way to show he isn't biased and we end up with the worst decisions going against us.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
I sometimes get the feeling that, after years of bullying from Fergie, the referees now wants to bully us back whenever they get the chance.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't really remember Clattenburgs record much, but I felt sending Herrera off for what was a slip was bizarre. He was pressing the Burnley player and slipped and tackled. It didn't seem intentional at all. Not sure how that can be a yellow.

Rory 7

Don't really remember Clattenburgs record much, but I felt sending Herrera off for what was a slip was bizarre. He was pressing the Burnley player and slipped and tackled. It didn't seem intentional at all. Not sure how that can be a yellow.
It was never a yellow. Clattenburg gave us nothing after Jose attacked him at half time, he's always the same.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It was never a yellow. Clattenburg gave us nothing after Jose attacked him at half time, he's always the same.
I'd like to see him defend that decision. It's a shame were seeing so many common sense decisions given wrongly. Reminds me of Nani vs Madrid. There's no reason to give these decisions unless the ref is looking to out of spite or has a simplistic brain that cant look into the context of the incident I.e "sliding challenge when on a yellow! High foot!".

hobbers

Wrongly? Hah. Torres should already have seen a straight red for his studs on Cleverley if i recall. Also an offside goal has nothing to do with the ref.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I think clubs really need to pressure the FA on the referee issue. Referees should be accountable for their mistakes - no wonder cnutenberg makes all kinds of shit biased decisions, as he knows he won't be found accountable. It also means they can be bent as feck (which I think Cnutenberg is) as the shit FA protects them no matter what.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Clattenberg is an infinitely better referee than the attention seeking idiot Poll ever was.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's be honest, clattenberg is the type of twat who would get banged out at most Saturday and Sunday league matches for the kind of performances he gives.

He is one of the worst referees the league has had.

LR7

The problem with Clattenburg is that he thinks he's the star of the show. He dramatises every little thing to make himself the focus. Plenty of referees get stick from the fans at OT (and other grounds) but yet manage to get on with the game. If he could allow that to negatively influence decisions later on then he shouldn't be refereeing. It requires thick skin and impartiality not someone illegally penalising a team because his feelings got a bit hurt. Problem is although it's pretty obvious there is no way of proving that it's anything more than conjecture.

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Referees should have to come out and explain their decisions. Even if it is not live TV and through him watching a replay it would be a start. If he admits to a mistake then fair enough let them explain their thought process. I'm also up for the ref earset that's used in rugby. If it means carding players for foul language all the better. It would soon stop.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He's been shit for years. Remember him sending off Hibbert in the Merseyside derby. Looked like he was going to show a yellow, Gerrard had a chat with him and he pulled out the red. Then didn't sent Kuyt off for a fecking blatant kung fu kick. He's an egotistical cnut.
I remember that, that's the day they should have sacked his useless ass.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Iheanacho against us got the yellow for practically the same thing.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Why are so many people taking somebody like Graham Poll's words at face value?

It's clearly nonsense.

PaulRich

Clattenburg isn't really biased - he just referees a piss poor game of football. And he loves himself.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Clattenberg is an infinitely better referee than the attention seeking idiot Poll ever was.
Agreed - Poll is the guy who booked a player twice and didn't send him off!
Guess he has a column in the newspapers and needs to make the headlines?

Man-United

Have had a dislike for him since he was the ref in the Bolton-United game in 2007. Anyone remember that?

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Yep, this is him, he always goes out of his way to give decisions against the grain, like he tries too hard to make it look like he makes the harder decisions. For instance three Liverpool penalties at Old Trafford, two Chelsea red cards at home to United. Always wants to make out he's in control, twat.
Other than that Sturridge dive in that particular game, the other two were deffo pens. Agree with you with the Chelsea sending offs though from a few years back, especially the Torres sending off. Clattenburg is a good ref at times but he loves the fecking attention.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Leagues won't like it but deeper analysis on referees and how they manage matches has value, if nothing else to hold them accountable as well as to show where they need to improve. There's a Primera Liga blog that is analyzing key matches in the Primera on decisions made, not merely the big ones but the calls that appear innocuous yet can still impact matches (Repetitive fouling, offsides etc).

I think it's long overdue even critics will claim that it will make their jobs more difficult

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Leagues won't like it but deeper analysis on referees and how they manage matches has value, if nothing else to hold them accountable as well as to show where they need to improve. There's a Primera Liga blog that is analyzing key matches in the Primera on decisions made, not merely the big ones but the calls that appear innocuous yet can still impact matches (Repetitive fouling, offsides etc).

I think it's long overdue even critics will claim that it will make their jobs more difficult
The standard of officiating in Spain is much better than in England.

Drainy

I think that Clattenburg has been embarrassed but the picture of Sir Alex with him before the cup final and then him making mistakes in our favour.

He's given us nothing since

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I think that Clattenburg has been embarrassed but the picture of Sir Alex with him before the cup final and then him making mistakes in our favour.

He's given us nothing since
So do you genuinely feel he is a poor referee or just biased against United?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The standard of officiating in Spain is much better than in England.
I think we all feel the standards are better outside the league we follow the most - I see good/bad decisions everywhere. Overall, however, I believe the standards are simply not up to par for the quality on the pitch

I actually stopped following the NBA back in 2006/2007 due to the poor level of officiating, worried it will kill my interest in football as well