DavidDeSchmikes

Won trophies at Ostersund
Guided Swansea to 10th and were close to knocking out City

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Won trophies at Ostersund
Guided Swansea to 10th and were close to knocking out City
The bolded are not really accolades for a CV, particularly the first part!

Anyway, think they instantly become a good outside bet to bring Daniel James to the PL now.

Nickosaur

Anyway, think they instantly become a good outside bet to bring Daniel James to the PL now.
He took him from 4th tier to 1st tier in Sweden. Got some insane results in the Europa league in his last season there too.

Anyway - think it was important to get him in early. It's an exciting appointment. My mate is a Swansea fan and he's absolutely gutted - says Potter has worked wonders with a pretty awful Swansea squad and is certain they'll be relegated next season.
We'll have to wait and see, but I'm far more optimistic in Brighton's chance with Potter rather than Hughton.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Good appointment, looks like a young, hungry manager. The results he got in Sweden were very impressive. Good luck to him

Hanks

Hopefully he'll bring his Ostersund talisman Ghoddos with him to BHA.

One of the reasons Hughton got the sack was that he basically got nothing out of their most expensive signings. Lots of "attacking" talent in that BHA squad, yet they couldn't buy a goal to save their lives.

I suspect Potter will be more positive and hopefully he'll drag Ghoddos from Ligue 1 and bring him to PL. Was a menace vs. Arsenal in that EL match and maybe he can help Brighton get a lot more from his country-mate and record signing Jahanbakhsh that they've gotten so far.

Ziggy Starduster

This is exactly the type of appointment that Ole should be getting in my eyes. A great step up from managing Molde, and a club that has the potential to grow without the overhanging expectations of winning silverware.

I think this is a good appointment by Brighton, but I don't think they should have sacked Chris Houghton though - good manager with a pretty average squad. I think they finished in line with the squad's ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

pascell

I'm sure I read a thread on him on here a few years ago? There was a YouTube video of him going through the details of his tactics, came across very impressive.

Kamprad

Yeah this guy is definetely the real deal. Wish him the best.

Acole9

Outstanding
Good luck to him. When a few Premier League clubs were linked to him whilst he was still in Sweden I thought they were being very hasty but he's proved his worth at Swansea.

izec

I'm sure I read a thread on him on here a few years ago? There was a YouTube video of him going through the details of his tactics, came across very impressive.
yeah, there was one.

Here is the video for anyone interested

crossy1686

career ending
Super interesting coach, worked absolute wonders in Sweden with Östersund. Going to be interesting to see how he gets on next season.

He'll manage one of the top 6 one day, maybe even England, he's that good.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I thought he did very well at Swansea considering all the cost cutting they were doing during the year (freezing out likes of Fer, Bony, Dyer and Wayne Routledge who were all still part of their squad).

Played a very young 11 yet were only a few points off the play offs in the end.

My gut feeling is he should've stayed there another year. I think Swansea could've been a Norwich type surprise package next year. Of course it's difficult to turn down a premier league job but think Brighton are on the decline now and might be difficult for him to stop that especially if they play more easy on the eye football.

NoPace

Of course it's difficult to turn down a premier league job but think Brighton are on the decline now and might be difficult for him to stop that especially if they play more easy on the eye football.
I think a good chunk of their squad is well-suited to playing better football and finishing 12th-14th or so while doing it. The CBs might struggle a bit with a change in style but are Prem quality, Bernardo and Bissouma are exciting talents and Propper and March are productive players too. Montoya has been decent for them and they have some talented if mercurial wingers. If they can find a 9 to compete with Murray and another CM, I'll bet on them to stay up again.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think the problem for Brighton is premier league will be much stronger next year. This season many clubs in the bottom half underachieved. You had West Ham with a really poor start and they were bottom half for most of the season, Palace should never have been as low as they were either (guess they could remain down there if Zaha goes). I also think Southampton will be a surprise package next year as Hassenhuttl is top appointment for them and they showed big improvement in a few matches.

So really for next year's relegations candidates you're looking at the promoted trio but imo Sheffield United will surprise a few with how they play and I'd like to think if we could up we'd have more momentum than many of our dismal last few prem seasons so will be comfortable mid table (similar to how Newcastle have done last two seasons).

Think Brighton will be bang in relegation trouble as I don't see poor quality teams like Fulham and Huddersfield which let many off the hook this year. Burnley will be down there aswell and got a feeling Bournemouth and possibly Watford are also on a downward spiral so they could be outside bets.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Taking a thread off topic
Probably more qualified to manage us than solskjaer.

Ban

Taking a thread off topic
Even Brighton has a better manager then us ffs.

Bojan11

I thought he did very well at Swansea considering all the cost cutting they were doing during the year (freezing out likes of Fer, Bony, Dyer and Wayne Routledge who were all still part of their squad).

Played a very young 11 yet were only a few points off the play offs in the end.

My gut feeling is he should've stayed there another year. I think Swansea could've been a Norwich type surprise package next year. Of course it's difficult to turn down a premier league job but think Brighton are on the decline now and might be difficult for him to stop that especially if they play more easy on the eye football.
Swansea are selling more players so no way they would have done a Norwich type season.

Nickosaur

Think the problem for Brighton is premier league will be much stronger next year. This season many clubs in the bottom half underachieved. You had West Ham with a really poor start and they were bottom half for most of the season, Palace should never have been as low as they were either (guess they could remain down there if Zaha goes). I also think Southampton will be a surprise package next year as Hassenhuttl is top appointment for them and they showed big improvement in a few matches.

So really for next year's relegations candidates you're looking at the promoted trio but imo Sheffield United will surprise a few with how they play and I'd like to think if we could up we'd have more momentum than many of our dismal last few prem seasons so will be comfortable mid table (similar to how Newcastle have done last two seasons).

Think Brighton will be bang in relegation trouble as I don't see poor quality teams like Fulham and Huddersfield which let many off the hook this year. Burnley will be down there aswell and got a feeling Bournemouth and possibly Watford are also on a downward spiral so they could be outside bets.
Norwich and one of villa/derby will go straight back down imo.

Sigma

I think thats a good appointment. Done an awesome job in Sweden.

Perseus

I think it is right for Brighton: young town, young club, young chairman, young manager.

CH was always incongruous.

I expect young players!

Perseus

I think I agree with you. Brighton got a shock near the end of the season and acted promptly.

Southampton were a better team. Watford weren't though. Bournemouth, Burnley, Newcastle, Palace, were comparable or just a player or two or three better. Derby and WBA in the Cup eventually succumbed but were not that far off. So I would expect Villa and Norwich to compete. Sheffield United will need some clever spending, although they could do another Huddersfield.

Potter will have his work cut out to keep Brighton up. Two places and the only Yorkshire team to go down. Teams came to the Amex with more of a defensive mindset last season and the BHA forwards were a blunt ineffective weapon from open play.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Really pleased with this appointment, I was gutted to see Chris Hughton go as he has been brilliant for us, clearing up the mess that Hyppia left behind and gaining promotion (something I thought I'd never see!) but Potter did a brilliant job with Swansea, working with young talent and freezing out the big names that were past it.

Would love to know what makes you think this, I've seen Brighton on the decline in the past and this is not it. We have a solid defence in Duffy and Dunk, some real promise in midfield, Knockaert, Izquierdo, March are all talented wingers just needing consistency, just need to replace Murray up front, though Andone shows promise and I'm hopeful we'll see more from Locadia.

Our squad is a healthy mix of youth and experience, our club is run properly and is financially sound, we have a great stadium and state of the art training facilities - this is a club on the up. Yes we had a bad run in 2019 but as a Utd fan you know that that can happen! Hughton took this team as far as he could, really interested to see what Potter can achieve.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

The job he did there in Sweden was incredible. Just try to check some articles about his time there if you can. Honestly I hope he is given some time to implement his ideas, knowing of course if they don’t start well everyone will question him.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The job he did there in Sweden was incredible. Just try to check some articles about his time there if you can. Honestly I hope he is given some time to implement his ideas, knowing of course if they don’t start well everyone will question him.
We're normally quite good at giving people time, but if we are bottom three come feb I reckon it would be a problem, but confident our squad is good enough and Potter is good enough that this won't happen

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We're normally quite good at giving people time, but if we are bottom three come feb I reckon it would be a problem, but confident our squad is good enough and Potter is good enough that this won't happen
I hope he gets it right and at least he can get 2 or 3 players to improve the level. I agree with @FootballHQ regarding the risks facing Brighton. His style is totally different than Hughton. I already mentioned him here 1 year ago when he was in Sweden. I don’t agree with dismissing his job there because it wasn’t a traditional top league. If anything it’s more difficult to work on those conditions imo.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I hope he gets it right and at least he can get 2 or 3 players to improve the level. I agree with @FootballHQ regarding the risks facing Brighton. His style is totally different than Hughton. I already mentioned him here 1 year ago when he was in Sweden. I don’t agree with dismissing his job there because it wasn’t a traditional top league. If anything it’s more difficult to work on those conditions imo.
Agree with this, but still confident. I think a some of our squad will be better suited to the way he plays than Hughton. Players like Bissouma, Izquierdo, March, Knockaert and Gross should work well in a fast attacking style. While we've still got grafters in the squad like Duffy, Dunk and Stephens.

The jury is still out on Jahakanbash (sp?!) Andone and Locadia, but if he can get one or two of them playing as well we could be an interesting prospect. Also remember what Hughton was brilliant at was organising the team, we are very well drilled in defence and off the ball positioning making us a difficult team to break down add to that some attacking flare and we could be very good.

Will be very interested to see who he brings in and who he loses ... the future's bright!

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Begrudgingly I think he’ll do a good job for you, although from a derby perspective Hughton couldn’t have done much better last season! I am most interested in seeing how Dunk and Duffy cope in a more expansive system, it’ll be a big change for them. Has there been any rumour about how much he’ll have to spend and what positions need filling?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Looks good appointment, at least reading a bit about him. Will be interesting to see what kind of game they play and how comfortable their players will be.

Really pleased with this appointment, I was gutted to see Chris Hughton go as he has been brilliant for us, clearing up the mess that Hyppia left behind and gaining promotion (something I thought I'd never see!) but Potter did a brilliant job with Swansea, working with young talent and freezing out the big names that were past it.

Would love to know what makes you think this, I've seen Brighton on the decline in the past and this is not it. We have a solid defence in Duffy and Dunk, some real promise in midfield, Knockaert, Izquierdo, March are all talented wingers just needing consistency, just need to replace Murray up front, though Andone shows promise and I'm hopeful we'll see more from Locadia.

Our squad is a healthy mix of youth and experience, our club is run properly and is financially sound, we have a great stadium and state of the art training facilities - this is a club on the up. Yes we had a bad run in 2019 but as a Utd fan you know that that can happen! Hughton took this team as far as he could, really interested to see what Potter can achieve.
He supports Villa x